Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

FCKGW posted:

My 13 mo old still aint talking, anything I can do to help him along? I feel my 3yo had a few words under his belt by now.

Have you tried any kind of sign-language? Just simple signs for things like "more", and mama/dada etc might help communication and jump start things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

flowinprose posted:

Have you tried any kind of sign-language? Just simple signs for things like "more", and mama/dada etc might help communication and jump start things.

Definitely this. If your kid isn't communicating verbally, get them started on sign language. It doesn't delay speech development, and it will make everyone much happier because you can understand each other.

Some kids just take a while to talk. If you're really concerned, talk to your pediatrician, but the kid might just be a late bloomer here.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Definitely this. If your kid isn't communicating verbally, get them started on sign language. It doesn't delay speech development, and it will make everyone much happier because you can understand each other.

This. Most pediatricians will actually count signs as verbal "words" at your kid's age because what they're really looking for is a desire to communicate (the motor skills can come later). My son adored Baby Signing Time if you're not opposed to a little screen time. He loved watching the other babies/toddlers doing the signs and picked them up quickly (he still watches both Baby Signing Time and now the regular Signing Time series at 26 months).

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

13 months, it isn't that unusual for late bloomers to have little to no verbal vocabulary. If the child is vocalizing at all for needs (not necessarily using words), able to use basic gestures like waving and pointing, and verbalizes consonant sounds as practice, you're generally alright at that age. If there's no basic words at all by 15-18 months, then you'll definitely want testing for a speech delay. It might still be a "late bloomer" thing even then, but it's better to find that out, than let a speech delay go untreated.

The sign language thing is a good idea. My son was very speech delayed (no words by two years old), along with a whole basketful of other sorts of issues, and sign language really seemed to jump start development there.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Make sure to have the child's hearing tested by an actual doctor instead of some patronizing rear end in a top hat who picks up a stack of books bigger than your kid and drops them on the ground behind him.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

ErichZahn posted:

Make sure to have the child's hearing tested by an actual doctor instead of some patronizing rear end in a top hat who picks up a stack of books bigger than your kid and drops them on the ground behind him.

This is a good idea if you haven't done it already. I think a lot (maybe all?) hospitals usually do this prior to dicharge now. Also, even if the hearing testing goes okay, there is a possibility of ear infections/fluid causing issues with hearing, so be sure to check with your pediatrician about that. My son was a little slow to pick up on words, but did a lot of signing. At 12 months, he got tubes put in his ears for persistent ear infection, and afteward he very quickly starting ramping up his vocal vocabulary. Granted part of that was probably due to his age anyway, but it is a well documented medical fact that a set of fluid-filled ears can delay speech.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah he just has his 13mo checkup where the doctor said he should have around 4 words by now but it's nothing to panic about just keep talking to him. He's in the 50th percentile for height/weight while his older brother is a giant in the 99th so I think he's just grown a bit faster.

He can still communicate with us somewhat. He changes his grunts in response to questions, points and what he wants and can get objects we ask him for. He can also nod and shake his head in yes/no response. He gets screen time because his brother watches disney in the morning so I'll try that sign language show.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

FCKGW posted:

My 13 mo old still aint talking, anything I can do to help him along? I feel my 3yo had a few words under his belt by now.

Also I recently discovered my wife absolutely hates Sesame Street for some unknown reason and my son has still never watched it. What's the best way to get her committed?

My sister in law has an unnatural hatred towards Sesame Street. I talked to my mother in law and she said they all watched Sesame Street growing up and she didn't understand it either.

Makes no sense!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Well Elmo is a little dick always poo poo talking Zooey for her pet rock. Dude hangs out with that weirdo Mr Noodle. Who is he to judge?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

flashy_mcflash posted:

Sydney jumps up and does this little dance when she says that which just kills me. It's really masterful how they weave these pretty high-level math concepts into such a catchy little show. I had no idea that the co-creator is the guy who created Rent (the musical).

The other creator, Jennifer Oxley, also did The Wonder Pets.

We love Peg+Cat. :3:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I thought the guy that made Rent was dead, which is why people pretend it's good.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I leave town once a month or so, for 2-3 days at a time. Once or twice a year my wife will leave for a similar amount of time.

If I take my daughter (4.5 years old) to preschool, then go to the airport and fly out, by 7pm that night my daughter will be in full waterworks going on about how much she misses me and how we have to Skype. My wife then calls me and tracks me down and we have to Skype. My daughter stops crying, doesn't manage to tell me anything substantive, and quickly loses interest. Then we get off Skype, I work the next day and fly home, and she is really no more/less excited to see me pick her up at preschool than any other day.

When my wife is gone, it's a similar show, except I quell it with a "no", and we don't Skype.

I am known to be a curmudgeon, but my position is that for generations, we've managed to live without seeing our parents for the occasional 2-3 day trip, and we're stronger people for it. If I'm gone for a week, I always carve out time to Skype. But for an overnight trip, I think they can live without me.

Discuss.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Is it such an inconvenience for you to take 10 minutes out of your day to say hello to your child or facilitate a way for your child to say hello to her mother? This sounds like you looking for a way to "be the boss" for no other reason than "because I can." What harm will come from having more interaction between child and parent?

We didn't have Skype 30 years ago when my dad would leave town, but there were always phone calls and such.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUwjNBjqR-c
Someday your daughter isn't going to give a gently caress where you are on your business trip. If you don't want to be pulled out of the hotel bar to skype just give her a quick phone call, sheesh. They grow up fast.

There are some other things you can do. Since I have a teen now we were navigating the world without skype at that age, and it was mostly me who had some travel. I would sit down and draw a little cartoon showing me driving off in the car/plane, a picture of her home with the cats & her dad, with how many days I'd be gone. Kids aren't too good on the phone but it really helps if they hear your voice. Just a good night, I love you, I'm back tomorrow.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
First thing I do, literally when I touch the ground (because I'm only gone 2-3 days), is send a postcard. I do call home every night. I don't know why the skyping is such a pain in the rear end, but I appreciate the reality check and I will make more of an effort to Skype - that's why I posed the question.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

photomikey posted:

First thing I do, literally when I touch the ground (because I'm only gone 2-3 days), is send a postcard. I do call home every night. I don't know why the skyping is such a pain in the rear end, but I appreciate the reality check and I will make more of an effort to Skype - that's why I posed the question.

Young kids are lovely at skyping, they don't really know what to do. So you get a lot of "Hi Daddy. Hi. Daddy, hi." and random babbling and then they're bored. Try doing something more structured, like a scheduled bedtime story skype - it will give you both a script to follow. The pre-scheduling of it can help the parent who stayed home with the kid as well, because you can point to the clock and tell the kid "we'll call mommy/daddy at 7 o'clock, that's right after dinner and bath but before bed", so the kid has something to look forward to and the parent at home isn't running around trying to set it up on the fly.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Fionnoula posted:

Young kids are lovely at skyping, they don't really know what to do. So you get a lot of "Hi Daddy. Hi. Daddy, hi." and random babbling and then they're bored. Try doing something more structured, like a scheduled bedtime story skype - it will give you both a script to follow. The pre-scheduling of it can help the parent who stayed home with the kid as well, because you can point to the clock and tell the kid "we'll call mommy/daddy at 7 o'clock, that's right after dinner and bath but before bed", so the kid has something to look forward to and the parent at home isn't running around trying to set it up on the fly.

I used to have a list of questions I'd go through, ask about school, ask about art, ask about nap, dreams etc to keep our guy engaged.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I realize I asked a question and the hivemind has answered, but I want to re-state just for the sake of clarity. I am at home and do a bedtime story 28 nights out of every 30. On the 2-3 nights a month I'm not at home, I was generally home the night before and I'll generally be home the night after. I realize my dislike for the Skype thing is unfounded, but just to clarify, everybody thinks I should suck it up and do it, and not blow it off that one or (occasionally two) nights I'm gone?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

photomikey posted:

I realize I asked a question and the hivemind has answered, but I want to re-state just for the sake of clarity. I am at home and do a bedtime story 28 nights out of every 30. On the 2-3 nights a month I'm not at home, I was generally home the night before and I'll generally be home the night after. I realize my dislike for the Skype thing is unfounded, but just to clarify, everybody thinks I should suck it up and do it, and not blow it off that one or (occasionally two) nights I'm gone?

I would say yes. It's a really small thing to do to keep the peace in the house and refusing to do it just means your wife has to deal with an upset child.

When it's your wife that's away does she want to skye with your daughter or does she not like it either? How well does your daughter cope with you saying no - does she calm down straight away and forget about it or does she bring it up a lot?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
If you're doing bedtime stories 28 nights out of 30, then The Routine is disrupted when you're gone. Kids love their routines, so yes, you should do it. It's a little ridiculous though that you think doing a nice thing for your wife and daughter is "sucking it up."

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 19, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I'm going to go against the group mind here and say if you don't feel like doing it, don't. I don't get the sense from your posting that your daughter is lacking in attention from you, and if a trip serves as a break for you or your wife to rejuvenate so you can be even more energetic when you get home then that's what works for you.

I personally would Skype with my kids when I was travelling if my son or wife specifically asked, but otherwise I would make a phonecall to touch base every night and that's totally fine and worked for us.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, I'm going to hop in on the one or two nights a month aren't going to irretrievably damage your kid side. I'm a Navy brat, and when my dad was here, he read stories to me and my brothers every night, hung out with us, talked, etc. Then we'd go six months without our nightly Dad Bedtime Stories whenever he shipped out, and certainly didn't talk to him every day. I'm reasonably sure we turned out fine.

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
I've received a mysterious gift in the mail for my eight-month-old and thought maybe somebody here could figure it out. It's two leaf-shaped knitted objects about the size of paperback books. They're pointed on both ends and have a slight cup shape to them. They're kind of like yarmulkes with points, or like women's shoulder pads. They also came with a knitted washcloth, so they might be bath supplies? Or they might not. Any idea what they might be?

Esther Gum
Dec 27, 2005
:-)

Seven for a Secret posted:

I've received a mysterious gift in the mail for my eight-month-old and thought maybe somebody here could figure it out. It's two leaf-shaped knitted objects about the size of paperback books. They're pointed on both ends and have a slight cup shape to them. They're kind of like yarmulkes with points, or like women's shoulder pads. They also came with a knitted washcloth, so they might be bath supplies? Or they might not. Any idea what they might be?

I can't help but think penis covers maybe? Or just to drape over their torso to keep warm when in the tub.

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009

Esther Gum posted:

I can't help but think penis covers maybe? Or just to drape over their torso to keep warm when in the tub.
She's a girl, so they wouldn't be penis covers... body warmers is possible, maybe? They don't look like they're made to fit any particular body part.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My mom is visiting for Easter and thinks its just craaaaazy our 1 1/2 year old doesn't care too much for candy and how she's never seen a baby that doesn't like candy! I just call it good parenting.

He does like some candy, he just prefers more savory candy like chocolate or peanut butter. We don't keep sweets in the house so he's not use to other types of candy.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Alterian posted:

My mom is visiting for Easter and thinks its just craaaaazy our 1 1/2 year old doesn't care too much for candy and how she's never seen a baby that doesn't like candy! I just call it good parenting.

He does like some candy, he just prefers more savory candy like chocolate or peanut butter. We don't keep sweets in the house so he's not use to other types of candy.

My grandparents could not wrap their heads around the idea that our 16-month-old doesn't watch any TV, and were also HIGHLY disapproving of the fact that his daycare is 100% Mandarin-speaking because how will he possibly communicate with us? Grandparents.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

and the gift giver didn't tell you what exactly they were for?

are they bath hats to keep the kids head warm while bathing or something?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

A picture might be useful--you might even be able to throw it at Google's Reverse Image search and come up with something.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Are they also knitted from the same material as the washcloth and are they hand-knitted? They might just be more washcloths in a different pattern, not everything comes out completely flat when you hand knit.
Anything like any of these, for instance?

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009

Fionnoula posted:

Are they also knitted from the same material as the washcloth and are they hand-knitted? They might just be more washcloths in a different pattern, not everything comes out completely flat when you hand knit.
Anything like any of these, for instance?
Ah! Yes! That's exactly what they are-- it looks like the same pattern and everything! Are those washcloths?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Does that shape make them easier to wring out?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's just a fun shape. It's like a leaf, it's fun and stimulating.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ah! Yes! That's exactly what they are-- it looks like the same pattern and everything! Are those washcloths?

Yeah, they're washcloths in an interesting shape (it's boring to just knit square ones over and over). They way they kind of go cup shaped is a result of how the pattern is written and the individual knitter's personal tension, it's not like a feature built in for a purpose.

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009

Fionnoula posted:

Yeah, they're washcloths in an interesting shape (it's boring to just knit square ones over and over). They way they kind of go cup shaped is a result of how the pattern is written and the individual knitter's personal tension, it's not like a feature built in for a purpose.
Thanks for solving the mystery! Now I can write a proper thank-you note (and add the mystery leaves to my washcloth rotation).

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Thanks for solving the mystery! Now I can write a proper thank-you note (and add the mystery leaves to my washcloth rotation).

Handknit washcloths are awesome, btw. Way better than terrycloth.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Fionnoula posted:

Handknit washcloths are awesome, btw. Way better than terrycloth.
This.

My grandma knits them for me. She gives me a few every Christmas. I asked her to turn it up some. I'm concerned she'll die soon, and I'll have to go back to buying dishcloths from Target, and these are so much better.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

photomikey posted:

This.

My grandma knits them for me. She gives me a few every Christmas. I asked her to turn it up some. I'm concerned she'll die soon, and I'll have to go back to buying dishcloths from Target, and these are so much better.

Not to be morbid, but after she passes you probably can find others of a lesser but similar quality at local craft fairs and the like.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My son went apeshit for surprise eggs. He's not even super interested in the candy, but the act of opening them is exciting. So does anyone more craft have any ideas about how I could get some egg sized shrink wrap to re wrap Easter eggs so the fun can go on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Don't they just click back together?