Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Master Twig posted:

A high tier pick is going to let you mine about 10k in chopper in about fifteen minutes. It's really more the haggle of logging in to pay if you haven't played in a few days.

Yeah, I spent an hour and have a stack of 46k copper. I just wish I could throw all of it in the upkeep bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Azhais posted:

Yeah, I spent an hour and have a stack of 46k copper. I just wish I could throw all of it in the upkeep bin.

The 5-day limit is just a temporary beta annoyance. Eventually we'll be able to earn the ability to pay for 30 days of upkeep, presumably through achievements or some other method that keeps newbie free players from clogging up the landscape with junky claims. 30 could change, but it was the number they threw out in the last stream as the absolute max they'd consider.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I made some headway on my dome experiment while taking a break from being productive this afternoon. I left my dude in that same exact spot so I can try for a daytime shot later.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Did you try making a dome with this shape generator? I wonder if the current smooth tool would butcher it. I wish they'd make an alternate smooth tool more like the first one.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

It's a hemispherical dome, specifically--a few pages ago (maybe one?) there was some voxel sphere stuff linked and I'm rolling with that. Gonna be the top of an observatory.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
I'm kind of bummed by the amount of grind in this to be honest.

I played like two days then stooped since I just don't enjoy literally grinding away the scenery forever so that I am 'equipped' to muck around building.

On the other hand if they deliver monsters/caves/and a quest making system it *could* be incredibly bad rear end. It's just a little too dull for me in this phase.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spiky Ooze posted:

I played like two days then stooped since I just don't enjoy literally grinding away the scenery forever so that I am 'equipped' to muck around building.

Yeah, the week of "fun tax" is dumb as hell

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Trebuchet King posted:

I made some headway on my dome experiment while taking a break from being productive this afternoon. I left my dude in that same exact spot so I can try for a daytime shot later.

what about using the sphere tool, cutting off the top half, and then just hollowing it out the inside with a slightly smaller sphere or block tool and smoothing the inside? That should be a perfect dome

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Tom Guycot posted:

what about using the sphere tool, cutting off the top half, and then just hollowing it out the inside with a slightly smaller sphere or block tool and smoothing the inside? That should be a perfect dome

I can't make the sphere tool as big as I'd like it to be, otherwise it'd be hella easier.

EDIT: plus, I'm finding this pretty good practice with the smooth tool, I've got backup plans and am not overly bothered by finding particular approaches end up not working.

Edit: Wait, what's this?

Zoom and enhance!

Zoom and enhance, again!

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 15, 2014

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Interesting upkeep bug. If you extend your claim, pay the upkeep, then take the flags back, it keeps the vast stack of copper in place rather than returning it.

So if you just have a single claim and need to go away for a few days, you can stuff 20 days of upkeep in there if you're so inclined.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Spiky Ooze posted:

On the other hand if they deliver monsters/caves/and a quest making system it *could* be incredibly bad rear end. It's just a little too dull for me in this phase.

I'm in the same boat as you. I grinded and built tons in alpha, now I just can't be arsed to do it again without something very new added.

Diran
Jan 28, 2014

Azhais posted:

Interesting upkeep bug. If you extend your claim, pay the upkeep, then take the flags back, it keeps the vast stack of copper in place rather than returning it.

So if you just have a single claim and need to go away for a few days, you can stuff 20 days of upkeep in there if you're so inclined.

Good find, this is pretty helpful if you can't log in for the 5 days that it is currently limited to.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I've been experimenting more with columns and towers and domes so that I can make different building parts I can cobble together differently depending on the terrain--one of my goals is to minimize how much blatant gouging-out of terrain I need to do. Ideally I'll be able to make a nice, byzantine-style observatory that looks like it blends with its mountaintop.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Just as a heads up to people. I've discovered (to tell the truth, it was a while back i just never got around to posting it) that the custom chat channels in game do not carry over to different servers. this means that if you join our chat channel (enqlgoons) on one server and switch over to another, you'll get booted out of the channel, and sometimes made to join the channel for that particular server. You can still see parts/joins of people who go to the channel, but you wont see their text.

Just so people know, in case they were joining the chat channel and wondering why everyone was so quiet. So if you can, try and stake a claim down on Adventure if possible.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
the op seems p out of date, if I buy the 20bux version will I be able to play now?

Diran
Jan 28, 2014

Arnold of Soissons posted:

the op seems p out of date, if I buy the 20bux version will I be able to play now?

Yes you will.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Mephiston posted:

Just as a heads up to people. I've discovered (to tell the truth, it was a while back i just never got around to posting it) that the custom chat channels in game do not carry over to different servers. this means that if you join our chat channel (enqlgoons) on one server and switch over to another, you'll get booted out of the channel, and sometimes made to join the channel for that particular server. You can still see parts/joins of people who go to the channel, but you wont see their text.

Ah, okay--I've been on Confidence and was wondering why things were so quiet.

EDIT: Anyone know of a list of all the prefixes picks can have? Just made my mithril pick and got "Dazzling," which apparently adds discovery.

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 18, 2014

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Are any of you guys entering the building contest? I think I'll pass on submitting my own eyesore, but skimming through the rules it says that up to 200 people will be able to win, seems like there's a good chance to make your stuff a permanent part of the game.

itsnice2bnice fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 18, 2014

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

It's limited to 1 plot only, so no. Plots are ridiculously tiny still, IMO.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
It's limited to 1 plot because they're just looking for actual landmark style offerings, not sprawling complexes of poo poo.

I'm working on a few ideas, but haven't really solidified anything yet.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

If I can figure out a decent way to make a telescope in time I might; I've got the templates/components for the actual building all squared away, I just need to fill it with props and decor.

Oh, and decide on what material to paint the floor/exterior/interior with. I've been doing all my initial building in stucco because dirt's plentiful.

EDIT: I finally got around to making my line tool...how the hell does this thing work?

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 18, 2014

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...

Trebuchet King posted:

If I can figure out a decent way to make a telescope in time I might; I've got the templates/components for the actual building all squared away, I just need to fill it with props and decor.

Oh, and decide on what material to paint the floor/exterior/interior with. I've been doing all my initial building in stucco because dirt's plentiful.

EDIT: I finally got around to making my line tool...how the hell does this thing work?

You click a square, then drag to where you want it to end. Useful for making ramps. You can also size the square up or down in between the first and second square to make weird conical almost shapes. It's not the most intuitive tool but it made my ramps to my house easy as heck to make

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

After working on my first build (with help from Mephiston) I realized that I'm way more creative in this game than I ever was in Minecraft. I think it's that the building tools allow you to build as fast as you want and it's very easy to make unique shapes with anti-voxel strings.

I like it.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Beowulf posted:

You click a square, then drag to where you want it to end. Useful for making ramps. You can also size the square up or down in between the first and second square to make weird conical almost shapes. It's not the most intuitive tool but it made my ramps to my house easy as heck to make

I tried that, but it seemed to only stick to surfaces...also, sometimes it was red and sometimes green, and I couldn't figure out what the critera were for the coloring.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Trebuchet King posted:

I tried that, but it seemed to only stick to surfaces...also, sometimes it was red and sometimes green, and I couldn't figure out what the critera were for the coloring.

The criteria is basically can it form an unbroken line using voxils. At one vox thick it only works at right angles. If you make the box bigger you can start to do more angles with it.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Alright, cool--I'm working on getting some refining stations built (good god, the heartwood...debating trying to make a rubicite axe and hope I get lucky like I did with my mithril pick and end up with +discovery on it) but next time I hit up my claim that should prove fruitful.

A couple other questions, if I may, though: firstly, what do non-founders start with in their inventory? I texted my little brother asking but no response, as of yet. Secondly, is there a gallery of the different building materials yet? Like, just pictures of what walls look like when made of burled wood logs or worked alabaster or small marble bricks, etc.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I think I started with a stone pick and axe.
E:vvvv And 5 torches.

nelson fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 19, 2014

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

nelson posted:

I think I started with a stone pick and axe.

Yeah, all I can remember starting with is a stone pick and axe, and 5 torches.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

No Add/Delete/Heal tools?

Edit: I think I'm going to set up my second claim on Adventure and just make a gallery of sorts; just rows of 2x2x10 or so columns of every building material for public reference.

Edit again: I set up a wooden platform just a bit east of the hub on Spine - Adventure, only a couple samples of the metals up so far, though. Is there a way to keep the flooring material from bleeding into the bottom of the material examples.

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 20, 2014

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Man, so I got to experience the joy of going to a convention, coming back and losing my claim due to the only 5 days of upkeep management.

It sucks, they need to increase it, and I just have to deal with losing my claim and having to run around and try to fix it. Too bad that right now I just don't have the desire to run through these hoops, especially when I have 9k copper ore and making it a full week would have alleviated this problem.

Super frustrating!

Edit: Thanks Mephiston for the assistance!

En Fuego fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 21, 2014

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

If anyone needs their claim camped while they're off doing other things for a week or so, feel free to let me know, and I can drop a claim flag down on your claim to reserve it while you're gone. If I remember right, you should be able to just delete plots and it will template them for you.

Also, there is now a voxel board in my basement, if you guys want access to copy it let me know and I'll endeavour to be on to unlock it for you.

Or i can plonk one down on your land somewhere, whatever works.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I've been thinking about a good place to put a second claim, when I came across this small empty space next to the portal on Bay where a previous claim had been. Plopped down my claim, added some sandstone ruins, some public crafting tables and now I wait for the likes to roll in! :toot:

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Trebuchet King posted:

debating trying to make a rubicite axe and hope I get lucky like I did with my mithril pick and end up with +discovery on it

+Discovery does nothing for axes. You get the tree's rare drop at fixed numbers of chops. You want an axe that has as much +speed as possible.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

biznatchio posted:

+Discovery does nothing for axes. You get the tree's rare drop at fixed numbers of chops. You want an axe that has as much +speed as possible.

I thought the only guarantee regarding the rare drop was that there was one per tree--since getting an assessor's mark it's been seeming that not only do I get the little green wedges floating at me, but also sometimes I get 2 rare woods at once (like, shows up in the loot chat tab as [2 Heartwood]). Is that from something else?

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Okay so, Subutai's plot expired, and I'm not sure if he wants it back. In the mean time, I've plonked down my second claim over it, and turned it into a free-build plot, with a voxel board down on it.

This means you can go there, fart around with building, template the voxel board, or drop off anything cool you've built.

You can find it directly south of the spire(Still on Adventure server, Oxbow continent), here:

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I snagged those 2 plots to the slight NE of it a couple days ago. All I did was build a wall so far. My other claims on Serenity are my main ones.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Mephiston posted:

Okay so, Subutai's plot expired, and I'm not sure if he wants it back. In the mean time, I've plonked down my second claim over it, and turned it into a free-build plot, with a voxel board down on it.

This means you can go there, fart around with building, template the voxel board, or drop off anything cool you've built.

You can find it directly south of the spire(Still on Adventure server, Oxbow continent), here:

Damnit. 5 days isn't enough for someone that works as much as me, I was planning on checking on it tonight. Thanks for grabbing the spot. I would like it back eventually if possible but I can't really play till this weekend. I have some time off work next week and had plans to build, so hopefully I can catch you online sometime this weekend.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Yeah no dramas, dude. I'll be happy to hand them back over when we run into eachother next. Truth be told, i'm only sitting on about 50k copper ore, so the less plots I need to camp the better.

However, that said, I'm still happy to camp a plot for someone if they need it, provided they dont mind going on a group copper run with me for a bit at a later date, or just toss me the copper required to keep it up.

starfish
Dec 21, 2004

Sancho posted:

I snagged those 2 plots to the slight NE of it a couple days ago. All I did was build a wall so far. My other claims on Serenity are my main ones.

Those were mine, enjoy!

After grinding hard in alpha I need to see some big new stuff before I can force myself to redo it all. That and I was completely uninspired when it came to building this time around and it kind of put me off logging in altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

starfish posted:

Those were mine, enjoy!

After grinding hard in alpha I need to see some big new stuff before I can force myself to redo it all. That and I was completely uninspired when it came to building this time around and it kind of put me off logging in altogether.

Just let me know if you ever want them back. I'm just sort of squatting on them waiting for more attached claims.

• Locked thread