Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

You'd seriously put Rivers in the top 5?

Top ten, maybe.

jesus christ ross

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

2004 San Diego Chargers:

1. Eli Manning - Flipped for Philip Rivers, perennial pro bowl and top 5 NFL QB
2. Igor Olshansky - Solid starter on the DL for years
3. Nate Kaeding - Pro Bowl kicker for nearly a decade
3. Nick Hardwick - Very good center, still on the team
4. Shaun Phillips - Bookend OLB opposite Shawne Merriman for years. Developed into a very solid starter and team leader
5. Dave Ball - Solid backup, in the league until 2012
5. Michael Turner - Got this pick in exchange for Junior Seau. Solid backup to LdT, became a solid starter in Atlanta for a number of years
6. Ryan Krause - Garbage
6. Ryon Bingham - Garbage
7. Shane Olivea - Solid backup for a few years
7. Carlos Joseph - Never made the cut

2005 San Diego Chargers:

1. Shawne Merriman - Absolute monster for a few short seasons, got his knee taken out by Jeff Fisher's goons and never had surgery to properly recover
1. Luis Castillo - Solid starter on the DL for years
2. Vincent Jackson - Developed into Philip Rivers' #1 WR, now a #1 WR on the Bucs
4. Darren Sproles - Matchup nightmare, made the pro bowl as a returner, was incredibly productive on both the Chargers and Saints
5. Wesley Britt - Trash
6. Wes Sims - Trash
7. Scott Mruczkowski - Backup center for more than half a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Groucho Marxist posted:

jesus christ ross

2014, not career numbers.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Eli's INTs were absurdly high in 2014 because of a mixture of sucking, having a terrible play caller, and having no run game. He's pretty much a career 18-20 int guy but at least gets 20-30 TDs along with it. Not much you can do when your #1 gets the case of the dropsies and Kevin Gilbride is asking you to bomb it deep four times in a row to end a half every game.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

Case an point, Andy Daltons 33 TD's from 2013. I had to check that again, but it's true, the guy being poo poo on so universally as not having "it" threw 30 goddamn touchdowns. Good enough for 3rd in a "passing league". And it wasn't all to AJ Green either, he's all over the board on receivers with TD's, so he's proven he can utilize the whole field. If could trim down those 20 picks to 15, the Bengals would probably be the AFC 2 seed.

It's worth noting Andy Daltons post-season struggles have been shared by many QB's before him, including Matt Ryan and Peyton Manning. Both of which were 0 for 3 in their first 3 post-season trips.

I had a History professor that said something along the lines of:

"People who don't know about the Civil War know the Civil War was all because of slavery. People who know a little bit know that it was actually about rights. The people who are well read know that, no, it really was about slavery."

I feel like that quote is somehow applicable to Andy. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that I have no loving clue what he will or won't do next year. I feel like people who have read every stat and seen every game have just as little idea as to what he is and where he can go as the people who only saw the "highlights" of the last three Bengals playoff games.

It's really weird and I have never thought that way about an athlete before.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Chilichimp posted:

We all know that if Eli hadn't ever won a SB, you'd be on here talking about how rings don't really matter.

It's called bragging rights for a reason. If the Falcon won in 2012, I'd be on here talking about how the only stat that matters is rings.

Sorry chilichump but Eli knows how to make Asante Samuel drop game winning INTs :colbert:

(does that qualify as rivals talk? It's a joke I swear!)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Eifert Posting posted:

I had a History professor that said something along the lines of:

"People who don't know about the Civil War know the Civil War was all because of slavery. People who know a little bit know that it was actually about rights. The people who are well read know that, no, it really was about slavery."

Your professor summed up the civil war terribly and I'm not surprised considering there's a difference between a history teacher and a historian.

The reason there's such a big difference between Dalton year to year is because 16 games are a pathetically small sample size for anyone to be measured by a statistical analysis. Combine that with a week off inbetween 30 attempts at doing your job correctly and you can see why baseball stats are a science while football stats are misleading. It's the same issue as to why there's FA busts or top tier draft prospects that don't work out. There are just a million factors that go into a player being good or not.

What Andy Dalton is, what any QB really is, can't be quantified by a TD total.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, he was clearly a top 5 QB 3 years ago (or maybe it was 4 years ago), IMO. He had a terrible year (or two), but I think he jumped back into form last season. Dude is unbeatable when he's on, which is fairly often. Who knows where he'll be next season though.

Not playing for Norv Turner, so there are possibilities.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 18, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Your professor summed up the civil war terribly and I'm not surprised considering there's a difference between a history teacher and a historian.

It was a joke dude, not a thesis. It was Edmund Drago, not a community college nobody. Not exactly McPherson, but still a contributing historian.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

The reason there's such a big difference between Dalton year to year is because 16 games are a pathetically small sample size for anyone to be measured by a statistical analysis. Combine that with a week off inbetween 30 attempts at doing your job correctly and you can see why baseball stats are a science while football stats are misleading. It's the same issue as to why there's FA busts or top tier draft prospects that don't work out. There are just a million factors that go into a player being good or not.

What Andy Dalton is, what any QB really is, can't be quantified by a TD total.

History professors are historians. And given even a basic understanding of how politics works (at least in a modern context), the civil war was neither exclusively about states rights nor slavery, but likely a mixture of both.

Politics is a game of hyperbole. To the North it was about slaves and getting to tell bitches what to do. To the south it was about not having to do what someone else says... and also "slaves are pretty good for our economy, gently caress you." Each one picked the most altruistic approach to describe their cause and threw the other trash away.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 18, 2014

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
lmao sorry the rest of us were loving up the draft thread daltos why don't you give us more of your theories on history

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Eifert Posting posted:

It was a joke dude, not a thesis. It was Edmund Drago, not a community college nobody. Not exactly McPherson, but still a contributing historian.

drat if that's not the most kick rear end name for a history professor.

Chilichimp posted:

History professors are historians. And given even a basic understanding of how politics works (at least in a modern context), the civil war was neither exclusively about states rights nor slavery, but likely a mixture of both.

Politics is a game of hyperbole. To the North it was about slaves and getting to tell bitches what to do. To the south it was about not having to do what someone else says... and also "slaves are pretty good for our economy, gently caress you."

It was about the economy first and foremost and the rights for states to secede second. The abolitionist movement was not strong and most of the moves to free slaves were to cripple the South's economy. I feel like any history teacher should know that and it was a huge gripe among the teachers I taught with when they had to focus the entire quarter on Harriet Tubman and the underground railroad.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rap posted:

lmao sorry the rest of us were loving up the draft thread daltos why don't you give us more of your theories on history

I still included something football related underneath the history, what's your excuse?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
i'm made of poo poo

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Rap posted:

I'm writing a dissertation on Weimar Germany

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
What any of this has to do with football... I don't know there was a pretty awesome Rocky and Bullwinkle episode about football. The coach was this old white dude who walked around shouting "War between the states, I cannot abide the word civil"

Found it, I'll post this poo poo in the art thread.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 18, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

He wasn't summing up the civil war. He was summing up people's perspectives on it 150 years later. There's early age Abe Lincoln freed the slaves with no context that is all some people ever learn, then there's the next tier which is apologists who take pride in the confederacy's rebellious nature and libertarians who use the civil war as a symbol for sticking up for state's rights. Then there's those who know the state's rights talking points are the same bullshit the south was using back then to justify their actions, (despite fighting states rights when they used their majority to pass the Fugitive Slave Act and demanding northern states comply) and how the confederate revisions to the constitution actually limited individual freedoms, and near all the articles of secession mentioned slavery in the first paragraph. It was pretty accurate, imo. History posts in TFF! :eng101:

Edit: You'd fit into that second bracket.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Your understanding of the AFL-NFL merger is facile and bordering on willfully ignorant. It wasn't about profits at all;

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Volkerball posted:

He wasn't summing up the civil war. He was summing up people's perspectives on it 150 years later. There's early age Abe Lincoln freed the slaves with no context that is all some people ever learn, then there's the next tier which is apologists who take pride in the confederacy's rebellious nature and libertarians who use the civil war as a symbol for sticking up for state's rights. Then there's those who know the state's rights talking points are the same bullshit the south was using back then to justify their actions, (despite fighting states rights when they used their majority to pass the Fugitive Slave Act and demanded northern states comply) and how the confederate revisions to the constitution actually limited individual freedoms, and near all the articles of secession mentioned slavery in the first paragraph. It was pretty accurate, imo. History posts in TFF! :eng101:

Edit: You'd fit into that second bracket.

No I fit into the one where I said they cared about their economy first and foremost. Slaves were a symptom of that. The North wanted to free them to get rid of the entire infrastructure for King Cotton and King Tobacco. The South wanted to keep them to continue being extremely wealthy land owners.

Regardless Eifert was the one who brought up history to talk about Dalton's stats. I just said his history teacher summed it up stupidly.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Johnny Football will no longer answer to his slave name.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I want Sammy Watkins.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

PrinceRandom posted:

Johnny Football will no longer answer to his slave name.

This also happened with Jeremiah Ratliff

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Falcons, Ravens, Patriots, Colts, Browns, and Jets have all reportedly expressed the most interest in drafting Michael Sam, and the Ravens even had a formal meeting with him. :unsmith:

Come to Baltimore, Michael

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure if MV is going to like this derail or flip out about it because I can't remember an American history derail ever happening here, but just for posterity, we have an American history thread for general discussion, of which I am supreme overlord and dictator.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577206

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Edmond Drago is specifically a historian who specializes in Civil War and Reconstruction-era Southern history, you loving dingus.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wonder if there's any truth that Detroit will trade up into the top 5 to take Sammy Watkins. Their interest in him is no secret at this point, but I feel like the only team that might take him in the top 6 is Jacksonville, if the Jaguars think Blackmon won't be able to get his head on straight. But Jacksonville also gets a crack at Mack too.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't meant to spark a debate, just a metaphor. drat, Drago is trolling people despite not even knowing they exist. I'll have to e-mail him this, he'll be thrilled.

I really don't want the Bengals to reach on a QB.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Shut up, Daltos.

And I guess everyone else, but seriously.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
ANYWAY

Point remains that players have too small of a sample size which can explain why Dalton varies so wildly from year to year.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Is it wild variance? I feel like he's always been kinda... :unsmith:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

These are what Andy's best and worst eight games would lok like extrapolated to a full season:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chilichimp posted:

No I think most players perform consistently enough that you can get a general idea of how they're used on their team. It's just when a QB throws 20 TDs compared to 25 in the previous year, and throws 15 INTs compared to 12 the previous year, I don't really see the difference. One is 35 less points and the other is 3 more turnovers which is kind of a drop in the bucket over 16 games. I still believe they're the same player with the same talent as always, they just have variance.

I think the most indicative factors of a player decreasing statistical wise can be attributed to game tape, injuries, and age. Game tape will explain why Nick Foles will have more INTs this next year, injuries and age explain most every RB past the age of 27.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Wonder if there's any truth that Detroit will trade up into the top 5 to take Sammy Watkins. Their interest in him is no secret at this point, but I feel like the only team that might take him in the top 6 is Jacksonville, if the Jaguars think Blackmon won't be able to get his head on straight. But Jacksonville also gets a crack at Mack too.

Maybe the Browns? Mayyyyybe? It wouldn't be impossible, if they decided later in the 1st was the time for a QB.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
We can't know which top QB prospect is a bust until #4 pick on draft day.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Sweeney Tom posted:

The Falcons, Ravens, Patriots, Colts, Browns, and Jets have all reportedly expressed the most interest in drafting Michael Sam, and the Ravens even had a formal meeting with him. :unsmith:

Come to Baltimore, Michael
I hope Michael Sam doesn't go to the Browns or Ravens. Hearing lovely intolerant fans with more arsenal twice a year is awful and Sam will probably be good enough to make it happen.

Eifert Posting posted:

I really don't want the Bengals to reach on a QB.
They won't. They'll get Bridgewater at 24 if he's there (there doesn't seem to be any forward progress in his extension talks) or they'll wait until rounds 3-4. To get Aaron Murray :getin:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Remember that article about the Browns draft last offseason that talked about their war room paying disturbingly close attention to ESPN reports? All the draftniks met up afterwards and agreed to hype a bust up to the range the Browns were drafting in to see if they would pick him. That man is Bortles. Stay safe, Browns fans.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Volkerball posted:

Remember that article about the Browns draft last offseason that talked about their war room paying disturbingly close attention to ESPN reports? All the draftniks met up afterwards and agreed to hype a bust up to the range the Browns were drafting in to see if they would pick him. That man is Bortles. Stay safe, Browns fans.

On the flip side you guys didn't even have a draft war room for years upon years and only recently made efforts to put up a bunch of folding tables. The Raiders are much better now, of course.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I never understood the criticism of the Browns' war room, I mean are the teams supposed to have spies from other franchises whispering in their ears

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Rap posted:

I never understood the criticism of the Browns' war room, I mean are the teams supposed to have spies from other franchises whispering in their ears

I believe Al Davis actually had this

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I just want to thank you all for the knee jerk custom titles. Every time I see one I smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That one's ok but it doesn't really nail Bayless's voice

• Locked thread