Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Does DWXL 8 have a decent coop mode? I remember 7's being very awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Late to the party, but I saw the post that 8xl is getting a steam release next month. I was going to buy for ps4, but im considering waiting now.
Considering that my PC is far more powerful than my ps4, this should be the definitive edition right?
How have they handled PC ports in the past and why the hell is a japanese company making a PC game for the western market?
Does it mean that ps4 games are relatively easy to port or is there some major online component that would deter piracy?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fauxtool posted:

How have they handled PC ports in the past and why the hell is a japanese company making a PC game for the western market?
Does it mean that ps4 games are relatively easy to port or is there some major online component that would deter piracy?

A lot of the Musou games (at least, the core Dynasty/Samurai series) wind up on PC, just only in Asia. WO1, SW2 and DW6 were on PC for the west, as were some earlier ones - I think DW4XL? It has nothing really to do with being easy to port from the PS4, nor piracy.

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Namco-Bandai has been leading the charge when it comes to Japanese games going to PC, so TK is just following.

I think when it comes to the PS3/PS4 thing, the difference is that there are just less options turned up for PS3 versus PS4. Maybe it won't be a big deal :shrug:

Omega Force usually builds their games on Sony's platform first. In this case that would've been PS3 then ported over to 360. In all honesty, I'd rather have a PS3 port than a PS3 to PS4/xbox1 to PC port.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
The Dynasty Warriors 8 Intro was the single greatest thing i have ever seen :allears:.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I want to get back to doing stuff in DW7E. How do you go about unlocking costumes again?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ahhhh do I spend the 30 now and get 8XL for the ps3 because I already own 8, or wait a few weeks and get CE for the PC?

I suppose I haven't even finished a single kingdom in 8's musou mode, so that's an incentive to just wait for the PC. Instead of returning 8 for credit I'll mail it to some poor soul of a friend who hasn't experienced the joys in pressing square.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
So does anyone have any tips/things i should know before diving into the story mode for 8?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

UberJumper posted:

So does anyone have any tips/things i should know before diving into the story mode for 8?
Are you a complete beginner to the series? Even if you are though, I don't know what there is to say other than when a marker shows up on your map, you should probably go there. It's not like the DW series is famous for difficulty.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

1.) If you haven't done the tutorials DO THEM. Understanding the element system is key to enjoying yourself.

2.) Don't break your balls too much if you miss bonus objectives. Save them for Free Mode and for when you have higher leveled generals with better gear.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

It's not like the DW series is famous for difficulty.

Except in certain circumstances, of course.

It's been getting 'easier' but that's relative. You're killing more, but more and more it's about objectives. Simply killing isn't enough, because you often can't pull back missing objectives by being a killing machine. Mostly because they got rid of the morale boosts on killing.

The fuckery that was the DW4 Nanman Campaign couldn't and wouldn't happen as the game is today(I sound like I'm talking about an MMO...that's overly funny, really, given what happened with Online). It's a good thing...mostly.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 18, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also if you try to be cheeky and play as the Commander they'll just assign that position to some scrub officer.

At least in the WO series.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
What the hell? The second story mode mission, Lu Bu keeps following me. And killing me in 1-2 hits. What am i supposed to do...?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

UberJumper posted:

What the hell? The second story mode mission, Lu Bu keeps following me. And killing me in 1-2 hits. What am i supposed to do...?
I know the joke is "do not pursue Lu Bu" but in the series that was replaced quite a while ago with him pursuing YOU. Anyway, just run and try to complete other objectives without being killed by him.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

UberJumper posted:

What SS said. If you just keep at taking out the guys that let doors open, Lu Bu will never get close enough to you. If you want to make things a little easier, go into Free Mode and beat a couple maps with Cao Cao or Xiahou Yuan, get them a few levels. Then come back to the story mode.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

UberJumper posted:

If you get far enough away from him, and don't harm Diao Chan, he should eventually give up and go kill someone else.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

UberJumper posted:

In addition to what the others said:

-Don't try to kill everyone, mostly go after enemy officers.
-Set your controls so that holding block will keep you facing the officer you're fighting. It helps!
-After you kill an officer they drop a weapon and some gold, grab'em!
-It's okay if some of your side's guys die/flee, you only have to help if it's the commander (the notice will say "Assist at once!")
-If you miss an order or a notification or forget what you were going after, pause and open the Battle Log
-Enemy messengers show up in the enemy troop list (usually) on the pause screen.
-Try to get as many enemies caught in your Rage Musou for more EXP
-Accuracy, Quick Learner, Attack Boost, and War Cry are good skills. Victory Cry is nice, too
-DO NOT PURSUE LU BU (until you level up and can come back and kill him easily)

For Story mode, just get through each side's full story first. You can go back and replay levels over and over to get the objectives and unlock the hypothetical story.

EDIT

Yeah, just run away from him and he'll go after someone else. You can still take out Diaochan and run and get Dong Zhuo if you're quick. Save up your musou and Rage.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Static Rook posted:

-Set your controls so that holding block will keep you facing the officer you're fighting. It helps!
-It's okay if some of your side's guys die/flee, you only have to help if it's the commander (the notice will say "Assist at once!")
-If you miss an order or a notification or forget what you were going after, pause and open the Battle Log
-Enemy messengers show up in the enemy troop list (usually) on the pause screen.
-Accuracy, Quick Learner, Attack Boost, and War Cry are good skills. Victory Cry is nice, too

For Story mode, just get through each side's full story first. You can go back and replay levels over and over to get the objectives and unlock the hypothetical story.

EDIT

Yeah, just run away from him and he'll go after someone else. You can still take out Diaochan and run and get Dong Zhuo if you're quick. Save up your musou and Rage.

Blocking is important, but the block button itself has a ton of important utilities. By default for both xbox and ps controllers it's the upper left bumper button, and I don't see a need to remap it. It immediately orients the camera in the direction your general is facing, which can save your bacon when the camera gets wonky.
Hitting block when you've been sent airborne from a knockback, or have been hit in the air and start tumbling, can help you land on your feet. I've got an instinct at this point for hitting that button the moment I know I've been hit into the air.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

5er posted:

Blocking is important, but the block button itself has a ton of important utilities. By default for both xbox and ps controllers it's the upper left bumper button, and I don't see a need to remap it.

I wrote it kinda weird, but I don't mean remap it. There's an option in the settings that will orient you towards an enemy officer that you've hit when you hit the block button. It helps when you're just starting out, but can throw you off if there are multiple officers around. You can also get "stuck" on a "unit commander" guy and that's annoying.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

5er posted:

Hitting block when you've been sent airborne from a knockback, or have been hit in the air and start tumbling, can help you land on your feet. I've got an instinct at this point for hitting that button the moment I know I've been hit into the air.
I've had at least one case where my bacon was saved because of the knockdown recovery letting my character be treated as jumping instead of knocked airborne, allowing me to do an aerial Musou. :black101:

Oh yeah, my newcomer tip: The "shield" (above enemy officers with whom you have the weapon advantage) will chip even if they're blocking, so you might as well hack away to get your Storm Rush attack, especially if another enemy officer nearby has the weapon advantage over you (signaled by the "!" overhead) and could be caught in it. (Also, if you saw that the enemy officer with whom you have the weapon advantage suddenly appears to not have the shield over their head, it's not a bug -- your next attack is pretty much guaranteed to be the one that triggers the Storm Rush.)

Static Rook posted:

This is also how you can spot a 5th Weapon drop/spawn (Hard or Chaos only).

Speaking of which, I found it oddly fun that with relative ease I was able to get Liu Bei's 5th Weapon ("Heavenly Swords") while wielding his second and third weapons -- both Heaven affinity -- thanks to high-level skill equips despite him being only level 17 at the time... the trick for me was to activate the boulder devices quickly, go along the curved road from the center of the map to the base where the paths intersect, catch both Xu Huang and Zhang Liao in a True Rage Attack basically as soon as they both jumped down from the northern path, then immediately beeline it to the northwest base named Xu Province Fort so that I could aggro both fire attack teams at once instead of having to chase either one down.

Just to check -- do I have to equip a weapon skill to use its ability with the corresponding weapon? (i.e. Whirlwind on Halberd). And does it have an effect if the weapon already has a leveled Whirlwind?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Static Rook posted:

EDIT

Thanks those tips were super helpful. Is it just me or does the story have a bunch of gaps? Like one minute its "we need to save the emperor" the next minute we are escaping with him. Etc.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

UberJumper posted:

Thanks those tips were super helpful. Is it just me or does the story have a bunch of gaps? Like one minute its "we need to save the emperor" the next minute we are escaping with him. Etc.

Are you skipping cutscenes or interstitial story sections? From what I've played of 8 it really doesn't do as good a job of telling the story as 7, but I would be surprised if they flat out omitted major story components.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

UberJumper posted:

Yeah, that's one of the issues with 8 -- I don't know to what extent the thread's earlier speculation about "the devs assume that their fans are long-time players", but 7 was much better/detailed at flat-out telling a tight and coherent story, in part because of more of the stages being about some of what got only cutscene narration in DW8, such as Guan Yu's time in Cao Cao's service.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mortimer posted:

Are you skipping cutscenes or interstitial story sections? From what I've played of 8 it really doesn't do as good a job of telling the story as 7, but I would be surprised if they flat out omitted major story components.

Before 7 the games assumed you already knew the story and it boiled down to a few lines of text before each battle and a couple of CGI cutscenes per faction.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Before 7 the games assumed you already knew the story and it boiled down to a few lines of text before each battle and a couple of CGI cutscenes per faction.

Before 7 I can't think of a DW game that did the story mode that well at all. 4 was the only one that stuck out in my mind but that's more because I played the hell out of it at the time. I don't even think they assumed you knew the story, I think they just assumed no one cared enough and just wanted to hit some guys with a pike.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
One thing's for sure, if you try to play an Orochi game without knowing who the characters are both on the Japanese and Chinese side, you will have no idea what the gently caress about anything.

edit: I started with DW5 and I didn't have any clue for a long time either. I had to sloooowly learn why Kong Ming was so important and so on.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 18, 2014

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

5 did a... decent job with the story. But 7 is where they just went all out with it, and 8 they turned around and pulled out a lot of the context for the stories. Basically 8 has cliff notes while 7 is the actual readers digest version... because you're NEVER gonna fit the actual tale and all the various contexts into a single game.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Calax posted:

5 did a... decent job with the story. But 7 is where they just went all out with it, and 8 they turned around and pulled out a lot of the context for the stories. Basically 8 has cliff notes while 7 is the actual readers digest version... because you're NEVER gonna fit the actual tale and all the various contexts into a single game.
I'd say that 5 was one of the last "individual characters' story modes" games, 7 was the first where they did "kingdom-based story mode" besides 4 but told a more solid story -- as Calax said, 8 is missing a bunch of the context that 7's story mode gives to their nominally-shared plot.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
I honestly quite liked the way DW5 did its story modes: The major faction leaders got a longer, more involved musou mode that hit the important events of the overall tale while subordinate officers got smaller musou modes that chronicled their own involvement in the greater story. I think that was a really smart way to present the game in that it kept any one story mode from dragging on in the manner that DW4's did (or DW8's can) but it still delivered a lot of content.

On a related note, it really bugs me that player 2 can't pick whatever character they want in story mode. I know it's ~not canon~ but the game is honestly a lot more fun when you're not playing rock-paper-scissors to see who doesn't have to play Sima Zhao for the fifth time in a row.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Chachi posted:

I honestly quite liked the way DW5 did its story modes: The major faction leaders got a longer, more involved musou mode that hit the important events of the overall tale while subordinate officers got smaller musou modes that chronicled their own involvement in the greater story. I think that was a really smart way to present the game in that it kept any one story mode from dragging on in the manner that DW4's did (or DW8's can) but it still delivered a lot of content.

On a related note, it really bugs me that player 2 can't pick whatever character they want in story mode. I know it's ~not canon~ but the game is honestly a lot more fun when you're not playing rock-paper-scissors to see who doesn't have to play Sima Zhao for the fifth time in a row.

Sima Zhao? The Jin officer whose trademark move is slapping someone and surfing on their body through waves of enemies?

Here it's more of an argument on who *doesn't* play Sima Zhao

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
You should be the one chasing Lu Bu. I always KO him. He's a bitch. It may take me 20 minutes the first time thanks to his gargantuan life, but I'll do it. I have standards.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Mortimer posted:

Sima Zhao? The Jin officer whose trademark move is slapping someone and surfing on their body through waves of enemies?

Here it's more of an argument on who *doesn't* play Sima Zhao

The Jin officer who is an insufferable whiny prick, yes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In 7, didn't Yi say something like "I wish you were my daughter instead of him being my son" or something like that to Yuanji? That's gotta hurt.

edit: his tagline in Japanese is "mendoukusee!" which is an incredibly whiny thing to say.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 18, 2014

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Chachi posted:

The Jin officer who is an insufferable whiny prick, yes.

...okay I did not play much of DW7 Jin story, but unless 'Chill to a fault' somehow became to be known as whiny, then I am missing something.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

...okay I did not play much of DW7 Jin story, but unless 'Chill to a fault' somehow became to be known as whiny, then I am missing something.

This is in DW8. He was slightly less annoying in 7, mostly because he just didn't have much of a personality.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Honestly i am completely lost as to who is who. I know who Cao Cao, Eyepatch dude, bald strong dude who died, fat dude who was guarding farms, jack sparrow strategist. But there is so many characters that the game just acts as if they have been there all along. Then i am completely lost when they die or betray me.

Does the XP carry over to all the characthers?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

UberJumper posted:

Honestly i am completely lost as to who is who. I know who Cao Cao, Eyepatch dude, bald strong dude who died, fat dude who was guarding farms, jack sparrow strategist. But there is so many characters that the game just acts as if they have been there all along. Then i am completely lost when they die or betray me.

Does the XP carry over to all the characthers?

I've only been playing for a week or so, but it seems like any exp you earn in story mode applies to every character in that faction, since they all end up being around the same level.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

UberJumper posted:

You'll learn. Or you could just look them all up on wikipedia or whatever.

Also I don't think we need spoilers for a nearly 2000 year old story.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chortles posted:

Yeah, that's one of the issues with 8 -- I don't know to what extent the thread's earlier speculation about "the devs assume that their fans are long-time players", but 7 was much better/detailed at flat-out telling a tight and coherent story, in part because of more of the stages being about some of what got only cutscene narration in DW8, such as Guan Yu's time in Cao Cao's service.

hah, look at this guy spoiling ancient history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't think that DW8 storytelling is that bad, but I would tell anyone who is unfamiliar with the Three Kingdoms to play 7 first as it has a lot more context and some surprisingly good moments.