Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Geektox posted:

From Wikipedia:

"Manual focus with "Automatic Maximum-Aperture Indexing," introduced in 1977. The AI standard adds a Meter Coupling Ridge to the aperture ring, which encodes the current aperture setting relative to the maximum, and a Lens Speed Indexing Post on the mounting flange, which encodes the maximum aperture itself. The Ridge and Post couple to the camera's light meter. Lenses designated AI-S, Series E, and AF all include these features of AI. Current professional Nikon camera bodies link with the Meter Coupling Ridge, but the Lens Speed Indexing Post is ignored and the maximum aperture value is set electronically by the operator instead. AI-designated lenses also improved on the original Meter Coupling Prong, adding cutaways which allow more ambient light to fall on the aperture ring, increasing visibility on cameras which optically projected the setting inside the viewfinder."

Neat.

This is mostly correct, but only two cameras have ever cared about the maximum aperture post/lug on AI lenses, those being the FA and the F4. It's probably not coincidental that those are the only two cameras that have plug-and-play Matrix metering with AI lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
"Hey baby, let's see some of that axe wound"

grack posted:

The basic tradeoff you're going to make with a superzoom-type camera is image quality vs. zoom length. Now, the FZ200 will by no means be bad, but you're going to give up a couple of levels of high ISO usage as well as detail to something like a Micro 4/3rds camera, which has a substantially larger sensor. On the other hand, a 600mm F2.8 equivalent lens would be impossible to replicate on an interchangeable lens camera within your budget.

So, there's the decision to make. Within your budget you could get a current-gen Micro 4/3rds camera and two very decent kit lenses with options for expansion in the future.

So what camera(s) would you recommend me looking at? This is a question I am asking anyone who wants to chime in. What price range would I be looking at to purchase a lens with similar abilities to the FZ200?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Moonbloodsflow posted:

So what camera(s) would you recommend me looking at? This is a question I am asking anyone who wants to chime in. What price range would I be looking at to purchase a lens with similar abilities to the FZ200?

Half the issue is that you can't really a comparable lens for m4/3 or any other mount worth talking about. You can get superzooms (that still, even at their superzoomiest, are going to be half the maximum focal length of the FZ's), but they'll be slow as gently caress at the long and and probably terrible. poo poo like the FZ's lens falls under "stuff you can only really get away with if your sensor is tiny."

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Calumet Photographic is having a liquidation sale following their bankruptcy. All their stock is 10-40% off, including the stuff that they used to rent out. YMMV, but if you have one near where you live it might be good to go check it out if you're thinking about getting anything. I'm heading out this weekend.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Calumet Photographic is having a liquidation sale following their bankruptcy. All their stock is 10-40% off, including the stuff that they used to rent out. YMMV, but if you have one near where you live it might be good to go check it out if you're thinking about getting anything. I'm heading out this weekend.

I wish I did, the thought of a camera store closeout gives me half a stalk. I have it in me that I need a new tripod and it has to be carbon fiber, and I really don't know why. Maybe because ... shiny things.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Chekans 3 16 posted:

drat, I was excited for a moment but apparently their UK stores aren't affected.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Moonbloodsflow posted:

I'm gonna join the dogpile here - if you like photography and want more control over your shots, interchangeable-lens is the only way to go. If you just want something that's good enough to take holiday snaps, get a bridge camera.

From there it totally depends on how you're going to use it. If you want something small and light, mirrorless is the way to go. If you want extremely long battery life and fast autofocus, get a SLR.

Don't obsess about the long end you're missing on an interchangeable-lens camera relative to the FZ200. It's gonna be pretty much garbage. While it's less convenient, you will be much much better off buying some kind of 70-300mm long zoom than trying to cram everything into one lens. The crop factor will put the 70-300 right back up to the equivalent focal length of the FZ200.

If you really want long lenses that's actually one use-case for the Pentax Q. A Nikkor 105/2.5 is going to put you right back up in the 550mm equivalent range and if you don't stop down it will probably greatly exceed the FZ200's quality. On its own it's kind of garbage though.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Chekans 3 16 posted:

I got that email too but they forgot to include a date and time. I will probably check out the store near me to see if anything is worth it. 10-40% doesn't really make my toes curl but given photography It will probably be cleaned out before they do any serious markdowns. It would be great for people looking for a big purchase if they haven't already cleared out the high ticket items. I would love to pick up a case for my lights and possibly some background stands or sweeps

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Any information for the Rockville location?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

Here's a video linked from that one that has the guy not actually knock the glass out but just remove that element all together. I think I'll go that route rather than making a mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PXwmtyqNKE

Update. Works exactly as advertised, obviously.

Mine was the Mark 1 version of that lens, and didn't even have the screws. The whole front element just twisted about half an inch and popped off.

Also I beat on the front glass with a hammer and screwdriver as firmly as I felt comfortable and didn't make a dent in it.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Chill Callahan posted:

Any information for the Rockville location?

Here's the ad going around, Rockville is listed as one of the stores liquidating. I called the Santa Ana location and they already have the discount in effect.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Here's the ad going around, Rockville is listed as one of the stores liquidating. I called the Santa Ana location and they already have the discount in effect.
I've never been to this place, but I might need to swing by the Santa Ana store before work tomorrow.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Remember to check out the actual prices before you go in an think "deals!"
The people operating the liquidation is probably an outside operator and they often jack prices up very briefly then drop the 40%. During the circuit city shut down, some of the "deals" were more expensive than at the best buy across the street.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Drats, nearest store to me is NYC. Although I could hop a train after work on Friday...

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone have experience with jammed cable shutter releases? I'm using a Nikon-branded remote shutter and it's worked fine for the past two months, but today when I fired a shot it didn't retract as normal. I can reliably turn the screw on the trigger part to retract it manually, but it doesn't seem to ever come back by itself now. There might also be a slight lag but that might be my imagination.

Is this an easy fix or am I better off getting another one? This one was sold to me as the "Rolls Royce of shutter releases" so I'm a bit miffed it's broken already...

[edit: worked it out, super easy fix. A screw near the trigger had come loose and was preventing it from retracting somehow.

rohan fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 17, 2014

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
Alright so I'm looking at Canon T3i, Nikon D3300, Pentax K-50. Anyone have any other suggestions? Advice? I was originally looking at the Panasonic FZ200 and am still considering it as well. I'm not partial to any brand, I just want the most for my money.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Moonbloodsflow posted:

Alright so I'm looking at Canon T3i, Nikon D3300, Pentax K-50. Anyone have any other suggestions? Advice? I was originally looking at the Panasonic FZ200 and am still considering it as well. I'm not partial to any brand, I just want the most for my money.

What are you going to do with it?

If you are going to do a lot of outdoorsy stuff with it, the weathersealing on Pentax could be a good feature. Also all of their bodies have in-sensor stabilizing, which is cheaper but less effective than building it into the lens, but applies to anything you mount on it. Certain bodies can also use the shoe-mounted GPS tracker plus the sensor stabilizer to do long-exposure astrophotography, which is really cool.

Otherwise I'd lean towards Nikon at this point. They have a better line of consumer gear (particularly the 35/1.8 DX, which Canon doesn't have a good equivalent for) and Canon is beginning to lag pretty heavily in sensor tech.

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you are going to do a lot of outdoorsy stuff with it, the weathersealing on Pentax could be a good feature. Also all of their bodies have in-sensor stabilizing, which is cheaper but less effective than building it into the lens, but applies to anything you mount on it. Certain bodies can also use the shoe-mounted GPS tracker plus the sensor stabilizer to do long-exposure astrophotography, which is really cool.

Otherwise I'd lean towards Nikon at this point. They have a better line of consumer gear (particularly the 35/1.8 DX, which Canon doesn't have a good equivalent for) and Canon is beginning to lag pretty heavily in sensor tech.

I have nothing in particular I plan to shoot. LIFE? I want to go out and explore. I want to film some interviews with people. I mean I'm just trying to get something to figure out what I want to do. It's hard because I don't know where to begin, let alone where I'll end. I'm planning a trip across the country on my dual sport. Maybe even down to south america and I'd like to document it. If there are other cameras I should be considering, tell me and I'll check them out. I'd just like to find something to get started and go from there. I don't want to make a bad investment but I'm not in a situation where I won't be able to afford lenses or upgrades. Money is not really an issue, I'm just trying to be sensible. I keep looking at more expensive cameras but I just don't know enough about this stuff to justify ANY of the features or know what they would mean to me. I'm not an idiot, I just have never explored photography.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Paul MaudDib posted:

On the other hand, Canon has a vastly larger market share meaning that there is a ton more stuff available on the used market for cheaper. The difference in sensor tech is largely irrelevant to a beginner (or most pros for that matter).

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Paul MaudDib posted:

This is his earlier post that might've got lost in the shuffle:

Moonbloodsflow posted:

This is difficult for me since I don't know really what I want to do. What I want is pretty generic. I'm mostly just wanting something to learn on and explore with. So..without really knowing what I'm talking about...

1. Picture Quality/Speed
2. Video Quality/Recording length
3. Low Light Capabilities
4. Decent Zoom Capabilities
5. I don't want to mess with post processing at first. So an assortment of features on the camera would be nice.
6. Something with the fundamentals to learn on. But not something that's overwhelming.
7. I like the idea of physically having full manual control with actual tactile buttons/knobs to control said features. As in, I don't want to be stuck doing everything through menus. I want to feel what I'm doing. And be able to make changes to zoom, focus, aperture, shutter speed, ISO.
8. Something I can grow with. Or add on to if needed. Something I'd still find useful if I upgrade later on.
9. Portability. Little maintenance.
10. A nice sound when I take a shot haha

What I envision myself doing is going out on the town, nature and taking shots. I'm planning a motorcycle trip on the grand american trail so I'd prob want to take it with me there. But I also have some ideas for basic documentaries I want to explore. So video is important.

It seems like you're leaning for heavily towards video, the Pentax stuff isn't super great in terms of video, from my experience, which admittedly is only with the more lower-end models.

I'd still maintain that a M4/3 camera might be best for you. The GH series from Panasonic has good video, the EM series from Olympus has weather sealing, and both are light and portable. Plus with the smaller sensor you'll get that longer reach when you need it for wildlife without the picture looking like garbage. There's lots of lenses to choose from, and with two companies invested in it it's not going anywhere any time soon. Get that 14mm pancake or even the bodycap fisheye, one of the 25mm primes, and some kinda telephoto zoom and you'll be good to go.

The DSLRs would be OK if they weren't so chunky. How much space do you have in this motorcycle of yours?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A weather sealed Pentax something or other would be a great way to go for adventure riding type situation. You'll probably want to take photos in the elements and I imaging there'll be plenty of dust around. Never really hear about shooting video on them though—I don't think they're bad like the Fuji's but it'd be worth doing some investigation to see if it's up to what you'd want.

Edit: didn't see the above post before writing mine. I'd second the MFT recommendation if Pentax's video turns out to be not so hot. And that's the only way you're likely to get serviceable 600mm equivalent lenses for not a fortune.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Pentax video is okay at this point. It isn't great since you don't get autofocus while shooting video, but you get full 1080p with pretty much the entire line-up. At this point it is basically serviceable.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Huxley posted:

Update. Works exactly as advertised, obviously.

Mine was the Mark 1 version of that lens, and didn't even have the screws. The whole front element just twisted about half an inch and popped off.

Also I beat on the front glass with a hammer and screwdriver as firmly as I felt comfortable and didn't make a dent in it.

Thanks for the update! And yeah, I'd heard front element glass was pretty tough.

Also, I'm a hopeless Pentax fanboy so of course I'm going to suggest the K-50.

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

Thanks for the update! And yeah, I'd heard front element glass was pretty tough.

Also, I'm a hopeless Pentax fanboy so of course I'm going to suggest the K-50.

I like the Pentax K-50 but I'm hesitant to purchase it BC it doesn't seem to be very good for video. This is too hard haha. Now I'm looking at maybe a Panasonic G6 or jumping to the GH3. The GH3 is quite a bit more money than I wanted to spend. I keep going back to the FZ200 BC of portability concerns. I highly doubt whatever I buy will end up being my only camera if this ends up being something I enjoy. I feel like it would be satisfactory for me to learn on and figure out what I need/want to do.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nothing is going to be perfect. You just need to think about what'll best meet your needs, try some stuff out in the store if you can, and make a decision.

Pretty sure the GH3 is almost exactly the same size as an FZ200. They should be getting cheaper on the used market thanks to the GH4 coming out too. In any case, the FZ200 isn't a particularly small camera—here it is compared to a K-50: http://camerasize.com/compare/#462,349

If you actually care at all about low light I wouldn't get the FZ200. Or about taking pictures and enjoying cameras. It isn't really a camera you're going to "grow into." The K-50 would be my choice as I'm also a Pentax fanboy, but I haven't been able to find any video samples from it so far.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
The whole "Pentax isn't good at video" thing comes from back during the Canon T2i/t3i product cycle, Canon was killing it with video and setting benchmarks for what to expect from entry level cameras, and frankly even Nikon wasn't doing a good job of keeping up at first. The Pentaxes from that era shot some god awful motion jpeg format slapped onto the feature list. Now Pentaxes shoots the same h264 that everyone else does, and for home use there is not going to be a lot of difference between Canikon and Pentax.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ExecuDork posted:

It's really tough actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1tTBncIsm8&t=666s

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Mightaswell posted:

The whole "Pentax isn't good at video" thing comes from back during the Canon T2i/t3i product cycle, Canon was killing it with video and setting benchmarks for what to expect from entry level cameras, and frankly even Nikon wasn't doing a good job of keeping up at first. The Pentaxes from that era shot some god awful motion jpeg format slapped onto the feature list. Now Pentaxes shoots the same h264 that everyone else does, and for home use there is not going to be a lot of difference between Canikon and Pentax.

Well, except for the fact that Canon has Magic Lantern firmware hacks which really open up the camera's video abilities if you're interested in non-standard videography.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mightaswell posted:

Now Pentaxes shoots the same h264 that everyone else does, and for home use there is not going to be a lot of difference between Canikon and Pentax.

I don't know about Pentax but the main difference between the Canon and Nikon video shooting, regardless of actual quality, is the interface. The video interface for Nikon is a total pain in the rear end compared to the Canon one.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No aperture change in live view is the crazy thing on Nikons. For whatever reason the D800 doesn't have this limitation. It's a shame too as the D5300 produces some beautiful video. I've been thinking about picking one up anyway since they're not that pricy and I'd love an articulated screen.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

powderific posted:

No aperture change in live view is the crazy thing on Nikons. For whatever reason the D800 doesn't have this limitation. It's a shame too as the D5300 produces some beautiful video. I've been thinking about picking one up anyway since they're not that pricy and I'd love an articulated screen.

It has to do with Nikon lenses still using mechanical aperture levers. The D800 has the smooth quiet aperture changing mechanism whereas the cheaper bodies are using a cheaper louder clunkier aperture changing mechanism. Nikon figures they'd rather lock you out of on-the-fly aperture changes than put up with complaints about noisy aperture changes during video recording.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aperture change is still very audible on the d800. And there's no reason they shouldn't let you change aperture in stills live view.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I definitely agree with that.

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
Anyone have anything to say about this camera? Sony SLTA65VM. Been checking out some sample shots and seems to be pretty good for photo and video. Selling for about $800 for Camera body, 18-135mm lens with some extras.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Moonbloodsflow posted:

Anyone have anything to say about this camera? Sony SLTA65VM. Been checking out some sample shots and seems to be pretty good for photo and video. Selling for about $800 for Camera body, 18-135mm lens with some extras.

It's a very decent camera and if video is important it's a good choice.

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002

grack posted:

It's a very decent camera and if video is important it's a good choice.

I know I'm probably annoying the crap out of you guys. T5i or D5300?

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Moonbloodsflow posted:

You really, really, REALLY need to go try these cameras out in person before even considering specs. Nikon and Canon cameras feel and operate completely differently. As an example, I cannot stand the way the Nikon lenses zoom, it is the reverse direction of Canon lenses and is reason enough (though there are others) for me to go with Canon. You may feel the opposite, but you won't know until you get your hands on them. Preferably at an actual camera store that doesn't have them tethered to a sales post like Best Buy does.

After you've handled the bodies in person, then start to narrow it down with specs, as you'll find most of these level of cameras (between Nikon/Canon, anyway) are neck and neck as far as capabilities go.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Snapsort makes it easy to do a high-level spec comparison: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Rebel-T5i-vs-Nikon-D5300

But yeah, there's more to cameras than the pure numbers, plus sensor performance can be difficult to quantify as a single number.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Remember that you're looking at system cameras and it's no longer the film era. You will be replacing whatever body you buy, probably sooner than you'd care to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Moonbloodsflow posted:

IF you are looking at that price point, just look at the Pentax K-50, the Canon t4i, and the Nikon D5200. I don't think any company has put out anything major this generation. Plus the t5i uses exactly the same parts as the t4i so it wouldn't be worth the money.

Also, listen to mclifford82, play around with the cameras first. Ergonomics make a huge difference in what you may want to purchase. Playing with them at least for a little bit will give you an idea of how comfortable it is before you make such an expensive purchase.