Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

reallivedinosaur posted:

Yeah, people do this because you have to clip the balls on floyd rose trems and they are too lazy to do so. I've only ever seen it done in pawn shops, where they just toss strings on so it's playable.

the way I learned to string a floyd is to go backwards from the tuning peg to the bridge and pull the string all the way through so the ball is touching the tuning peg (yes homo) and then trimming the string to length at the bridge. Its really easy and quick and changing strings on a floyd takes almost no effort, but setting one up can take an afternoon of calibrations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
That's the way they taught us to do it at Guitar Center, for whatever that's worth. Having never owned one myself, I never tried clipping the ball-ends. I always thought it looked cool with D'Addarios, because of the ends being different colors, it's just too bad that D'Addarios are like the shittiest name brand string you can buy (imo).

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

BUSH 2112 posted:

That's the way they taught us to do it at Guitar Center, for whatever that's worth. Having never owned one myself, I never tried clipping the ball-ends. I always thought it looked cool with D'Addarios, because of the ends being different colors, it's just too bad that D'Addarios are like the shittiest name brand string you can buy (imo).

What's so bad about D'Addarios? Proviso: I'm only familiar with their nylon strings, which are cheap as poo poo and pretty good.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gilgameshback posted:

What's so bad about D'Addarios? Proviso: I'm only familiar with their nylon strings, which are cheap as poo poo and pretty good.

they're electric strings are good for the price but they're poo poo compared to DR strings or some of the other high end brands

ernie balls are garbage imo, sorry everyone but I don't like them because they last for an afternoon even if you baby them with hiding in a case and mineral oil wipe downs before and after playing

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Hadrians Dong posted:

ernie balls are garbage imo, sorry everyone but I don't like them because they last for an afternoon even if you baby them with hiding in a case and mineral oil wipe downs before and after playing

Ernie Balls are only if I can't find anything else for some dumb reason and I need something quick. Otherwise it's DRs for me. I haven't tried any of their hexagonal core strings yet, might try some of the Hi Beams.

Also just reminded me I'm out of spare sets of the 9s I use, and only have the 10s for my JM around. Time to order more!

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
All guitar strings are poo poo, IMO. The coated ones from elixer or DR might give me an extra 20 minutes of playing time, you can feel the coating wear off pretty fast.

For practicing at home I just leave them on until they just sound so bad I can't take it anymore, but still end up changing them once or twice a week depending on how much I'm playing.

I've always bought the ernie balls, because they were cheap and just as good as any other, but the last two packs I bought had manufacturing defects like the string winding coming loose (it was past the peg, and clipped off, but still), or the plain strings already coated in rust, despite the vaccuum sealed freshness package so I just get the d'addarios now.

All the oils or sprays and fast fret poo poo is just snake oil to me, and doesn't do anything IMO. If you're going to play a lot, just buy strings in bulk online, even go in with another player or two. You can get strings for like two bucks a set that way.

Guitar strings go dead fast, and guitars go out of tune all the time. It's just what they do.

e: also, like so many other products, there are like two or three companies that actually make guitar strings, everyone else just packages and brands them. In the same way that the same factory in china is spewing out epiphone les pauls and squier strats. Nobody manufactures anything, branding is a much more powerful sales tool than craftsmanship.

reallivedinosaur fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 17, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I feel like you guys(and everyone I ever see talking about strings on the Internet) go through strings a lot. I barely change mine unless they break. Like I've had the same set of 8s on my Les Paul since like January.

:shrug:

Maybe the ghs strings I use are just awesome and stay nice forever... Or I just don't care enough to change them ha.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You can definitely feel when strings go dead and it all depends on how much you play and gig on them. Normal wear and tear of like a half hour a day average should kill a set of strings in about 3-4 weeks. If you're gigging a lot then you should change strings before each show or at least once a week. Twice a week is insane though

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
also the only reason I play D'adarrios right now is that I still have a bunch of strings leftover from the last time I bulk bought 10s but my 13s supply is going low so I might be shopping around for a 13-56 w/wound 3rd string sets

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Even when I gigged regularly I barely changed them.

I guess it's a personal preference.

Guitar players are weird.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Dirt posted:

We are quirky as hell and are all dead-set in our preferences, and will defend them to the death even if it doesn't matter (see: string chat, pick chat, etc.)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dirt posted:

i know dudes who would play their poo poo until it got so rusty that they could cut themselves on it and then when they played my guitars they would always go "man this feels so great what's your secret" but basic maintenance of guitars is apparently impossible or something

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

booshi posted:

We are quirky as hell and are all dead-set in our preferences, and will defend them to the death even if it doesn't matter (see: string chat, pick chat, etc.)

jazz IIIs or death

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Hadrians Dong posted:

i know dudes who would play their poo poo until it got so rusty that they could cut themselves on it and then when they played my guitars they would always go "man this feels so great what's your secret" but basic maintenance of guitars is apparently impossible or something

Haha OK if they get rusty it's time for change. I've never had them go that far. I usually snap a e or b string long before they get to that point.

I remember talking about this to a guy in a bar once, and he said Duane Allman did the same thing I do, so clearly im awesome and on to something haha.

Mostly I'm just lazy I think.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Dirt posted:

I feel like you guys(and everyone I ever see talking about strings on the Internet) go through strings a lot. I barely change mine unless they break. Like I've had the same set of 8s on my Les Paul since like January.

:shrug:

Maybe the ghs strings I use are just awesome and stay nice forever... Or I just don't care enough to change them ha.

You can see them dead, if you pluck a string and watch it in one spot, say over a pickup, and you can see it vibrating, then looks like it stops or slows, then starts again. Imagine a new skipping rope vs one that's been stretched and had some knots tied in it and maybe some dogshit sticking to it.

If you're playing single note stuff, practicing scales or whatnot, you wont notice as fast. I notice when I try to play a chord, say a simple triad somewhere up the neck, and it sounds like poo poo - then I check the tuning and the open strings are spot on.

Also if you have a shitload of distortion and effects you wont notice either. With enough effects and distortion you dont even really need to tune the guitar or play actual notes or anything. You can get away with this and have a lucrative music career if you look really cool. I don't, though.

Anyways, check out these ugly DBZ guitars. The guy leaves Dean, keeps the ugly as gently caress headstocks and adds some really tacky faux airbrushing. These are all currently for sale within 25km of me.

It makes me sad, because I really want to like a DBZ guitar, because Goku.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dirt posted:

Haha OK if they get rusty it's time for change. I've never had them go that far. I usually snap a e or b string long before they get to that point.

I remember talking about this to a guy in a bar once, and he said Duane Allman did the same thing I do, so clearly im awesome and on to something haha.

if you don't play through an amp often (I play for a few minutes every morning before I go to work) you can definitely hear when strings die

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dirt posted:

Yeah, I am similar to you. If they are rusty or they really start to sound like crap/lose tuning, then I change. I also have 3 guitars now so I am lazy and I constantly switch between the which kind of distributes the wear. I kind of :psyduck: when I hear people who burn through picks and strings after an hour or something crazy like that.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

reallivedinosaur posted:

It makes me sad, because I really want to like a DBZ guitar, because Goku.

I looked at their website, these ones looked kinda cool to me:

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yeah, I am similar to you. If they are rusty or they really start to sound like crap/lose tuning, then I change. I also have 3 guitars now so I am lazy and I constantly switch between the which kind of distributes the wear. I kind of :psyduck: when I hear people who burn through picks and strings after an hour or something crazy like that.

Same issue for me, I have 4 electrics, so I guess the play time is divided a lot. But I play my strat the most(my ugly Antigua one that I posted waaay back in this thread), and I still barely ever change those drat strings. It's just such a pain in the rear end.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Dirt posted:

I looked at their website, these ones looked kinda cool to me:

Nice. I'd like to stand on that.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i have seen into the future and it involves after effects and strandbergs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeFkkJPFiAQ

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i was going to ask yout o please not post it but then skeletons showd up

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

comes along bort posted:

i have seen into the future and it involves after effects and strandbergs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeFkkJPFiAQ

what the gently caress is this

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Lesbian Chapman stick with neon strings. INCOMING!

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

unlawfulsoup posted:

I kind of :psyduck: when I hear people who burn through picks and strings after an hour or something crazy like that.

These are always terrible players who think harder playing + freshest strings = more tone, amd their glop always sounds like rear end no matter what brand of 9 volt battery they put in their vintage germanium screamer

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
there's definitely a new string sound that lasts for a day or too, then they stabilize at 95-80% niceness for a bunch of weeks.

i haven't noticed much difference in guitar string brands, but i hate 80/20 bronze acoustic strings and i'm strictly DR for bass

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Any reason that I never see anyone else using GHS strings?

I've always used them because they are made in my home town of Battle Creek, MI.

I have tried about every brand out there and they all basically sound the same to me. I just use the ghs boomers because nothing else good comes out of that town other than cereal.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

http://hufschmidguitars.bigcartel.com/product/one-huftech-drop

TONEPICKS
ONLY 45 EURO

Note that they're all out of stock at the moment as he's closed the shop to concentrate on the loving stupid amount of backorders he has to fill. I want a glow one though to be fair

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Dirt posted:

Any reason that I never see anyone else using GHS strings?

I've always used them because they are made in my home town of Battle Creek, MI.

I have tried about every brand out there and they all basically sound the same to me. I just use the ghs boomers because nothing else good comes out of that town other than cereal.

I've tried a shitload of classical guitar strings and they all sound quite different - D'Addarios are kind of a baseline mellow sound, DR classicals were very shrill and glassy, Augustines are refined and balanced and sound exactly the same from the minute you put them on until they wear out, Galli are pretty close to D'Addario, except for their flamenco strings which have a thinner, more aggressive sound. La Bellas sound like slightly sweeter D'Addarios, or I guess it's actually the other way around since La Bella was the first mass produced nylong string. I haven't found a particular brand that I want to commit to, though again D'addarios are cheap and inoffensive.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Gilgameshback posted:

I've tried a shitload of classical guitar strings and they all sound quite different - D'Addarios are kind of a baseline mellow sound, DR classicals were very shrill and glassy, Augustines are refined and balanced and sound exactly the same from the minute you put them on until they wear out, Galli are pretty close to D'Addario, except for their flamenco strings which have a thinner, more aggressive sound. La Bellas sound like slightly sweeter D'Addarios, or I guess it's actually the other way around since La Bella was the first mass produced nylong string. I haven't found a particular brand that I want to commit to, though again D'addarios are cheap and inoffensive.

Oh I'm with you on acoustic strings. Definitely differences in brands there as well as what the strings are made out of . But I feel like with electric guitar strings the difference is almost nothing.

I'd love to see a blind test to see if people could even tell If it was their "brand" of strings on their guitar if someone restrung it without them knowing what brand of string was used.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Dirt posted:

I'd love to see a blind test to see if people could even tell If it was their "brand" of strings on their guitar if someone restrung it without them knowing what brand of string was used.
A friend of mine did this to me recently, we were curious too.

I can tell Ernie Ball Cobalts about 90% of the time, they have a weird (but not unpleasant) 'coarse' feel to them.

D'addario, Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies, Dean Markley Blue Steel, all the 'regular' strings were indistinguishable from one another. Some sounded brighter and/or more muted, but 'feel' wise they were all pretty similar with the exception of the Dean Markley's. They felt a little looser and easier to bend, I marked those at a little better than 50%. DR Tite-Fits are a 100% 'yup, that's them' every time, they feel very distinctive (the wound strings, at least).

I just realized this isn't the ML thread so I'll cut short the string sperg, but the thing to remember is too, the biggest difference in string sound is really only going to be the first bit they're on, clean and not filled up with all the crud from your fingers. I played Ernie Ball Slinkies exclusively for around 20 years before trying out a lot of the new stuff and recorded a lot of demo material to compare the differences on different guitars and really, just get some that feel like you dig and have the 'fresh' sound you want, change them before a gig so you're set and gently caress it.

That said, it's a lot of fun trying out different strings just for the hell of it.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dirt posted:

Oh I'm with you on acoustic strings. Definitely differences in brands there as well as what the strings are made out of . But I feel like with electric guitar strings the difference is almost nothing.

I can't really tell a difference either, but I only use regular nickel plated kinds. I used to like Silver Bullets for my Strat, now that I have Teles I do not really care anymore. I get D'Addario most of the time, but I really do not have any brand loyalty if there was a good deal.

On acoustics it is a much more significant difference. Cheap nylons made my acoustic sound truly awful, but a decent pair of them makes it decent. I really do not like acoustics though, so it is more or less mothballed.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I've been using GHS Boomers since I was a kid. Always satisfied.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

iostream.h posted:

I just realized this isn't the ML thread so I'll cut short the string sperg, but the thing to remember is too, the biggest difference in string sound is really only going to be the first bit they're on, clean and not filled up with all the crud from your fingers.
I don't know, I wash my hands before I pick up a guitar and I wipe the strings and body down with a cloth when I am done. I change the strings maybe once a year. DR Pure Blues usually.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Actuary X posted:

I don't know, I wash my hands before I pick up a guitar and I wipe the strings and body down with a cloth when I am done. I change the strings maybe once a year. DR Pure Blues usually.
I do too generally, but it still builds up for me over time.
I change before each gig weekend at a minimum, otherwise I don't sweat it too much unless I'm recording too.

That's a big thing tho', washing your hands and wiping it down after makes them last a WHOLE hell of a lot longer, plus it keeps the fretboard from getting so drat cruddy.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Bass strings being $10 a piece is loving criminal

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Incredulous Dylan posted:

banjo is missing something...

there we go :twisted:

CannedMacabre posted:

Yeah, but there is no denying that everything about the Flecktones is goofy as gently caress.

How can you post a pic of Bela without linking to their 'Live At The Quick' gig?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

fyodor posted:

I've been using GHS Boomers since I was a kid. Always satisfied.
Yeah, I've used GHS Boomer 9s since like the '80s and didn't realise that this was considered an ideological stance.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

SubG posted:

Yeah, I've used GHS Boomer 9s since like the '80s and didn't realise that this was considered an ideological stance.

Only person I've ever known to use GHS Boomers is a local guy who's been using them since we were both in school together.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I like Rocksmith as much as the next guy buy gently caress this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sleekly posted:

I like Rocksmith as much as the next guy buy gently caress this poo poo

they're worth having in for a single change, it really helps you get used to the placement of the notes in the game (DR ones have decent tone until they start going lovely too)

also bite me they look cool t:mad: i just don't regularly play by blacklight

• Locked thread