Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I just started playing this and the combat is surprisingly good for an MMO. Is there anything important I should know about the game that isn't in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sync
Nov 16, 2012

The OP is incredibly outdated. Basically, just go and read Wandering Kid's posts in the last bunch of pages and you'll have a much better idea of what's more current. The class listings in the OP are still pretty much accurate though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ShadowMar posted:

I just started playing this and the combat is surprisingly good for an MMO. Is there anything important I should know about the game that isn't in the OP?

There is nothing important that you really "need" to know until you get close to hitting the level cap imo. If you do want to educate yourself a bit anyways though, read a tutorial about how enchanting works. Even at low levels, it is something worth doing to a point (I usually stop at +6), but the enchanting system is not very intuitive through in game instruction alone. It is much better to use a guide and experiment in order to learn.

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
Nm, caved in and works now fine. Thanks anyways.

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 19, 2014

Fluegel
Apr 7, 2007
I used to play this on EU a while back but now feel like rolling new on NA. What class is generally more in demand, Priest or Lancer? I just wanna blow through content and get groups fast.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Fluegel posted:

I used to play this on EU a while back but now feel like rolling new on NA. What class is generally more in demand, Priest or Lancer? I just wanna blow through content and get groups fast.
Lancer by far. You'll be getting instant queues while leveling at the very least.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So if anyone missed it, there's a new class coming out, called the Reaper. Mid ranged using chains as a weapon.

Looks pretty awesome!

They start at level 50 too, like WoW Death Knights.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Elin only, though. And xtreem edgy elin on top of that.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Traveller posted:

Elin only, though. And xtreem edgy elin on top of that.

Elin only?

Welp.

That's beyond lame. I hadn't seen that. Back to Slayer I guess.

En Masse I really want to support your game, but you make it so hard. :negative:

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
Are support classes relevant in this game?

I have a supreme lack of talent for playing dps. I generally heal well and tank decently, though.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Anatharon posted:

Elin only?

Welp.

That's beyond lame. I hadn't seen that. Back to Slayer I guess.

En Masse I really want to support your game, but you make it so hard. :negative:

Well its less En Masse deciding this, and more Blue Hole Studios being incredibly lazy.

quote:

As we've mentioned it takes a lot of time and man-power to develop a new class and apply it to each race. We'll monitor the player reactions and take in feedback after the class has been released to the public to see if we will work on applying it to other races or to work on a different job (class?).

We do apologize to those players who love to play other races but please understand that we are not completely cutting off the other races over the Elin.

(I should mention that last line is pretty bullshit. Every (cosmetic) update brings something unique for Elins, while other races get blocked off with the same generic design.)

Elins are popular in Korea, but it doesn't really matter when the decision to make Reaper an Elin only class burned a significant chunk of their playerbase. The best part is that the Korean version was dying before. Now its dying even faster.

BHS does claim if the players demand it, they will work on getting Reaper implemented for other classes, but they have a long and storied history of lying about this stuff.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 4, 2014

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Well, I started downloading the client, it got to a playable(?) stage, and I discovered the website would not let me register -- I even booted up (ugh) IE, and tried using my facebook account. Java and cookies enabled, has anyone had this problem and had it resolved?

I only ask here because the support wouldn't let me make a ticket without an account.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
Meh, the Elin thing doesn't bother me.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

nilumtil posted:

Well, I started downloading the client, it got to a playable(?) stage, and I discovered the website would not let me register -- I even booted up (ugh) IE, and tried using my facebook account. Java and cookies enabled, has anyone had this problem and had it resolved?

I only ask here because the support wouldn't let me make a ticket without an account.

I am assuming since you said you tried Facebook, you're trying to register with the North American (Enmasse) version of the game, looks fine to me, might be something up with your connection?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Elins own but no popori? gently caress

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

DarkstarIV posted:

Elins are popular in Korea, but it doesn't really matter when the decision to make Reaper an Elin only class burned a significant chunk of their playerbase. The best part is that the Korean version was dying before. Now its dying even faster.

BHS does claim if the players demand it, they will work on getting Reaper implemented for other classes, but they have a long and storied history of lying about this stuff.

Supposedly there's like 3 million people still playing but it certainly doesn't seem like it.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Supposedly there's like 3 million people still playing but it certainly doesn't seem like it.

No way there are 3 million active players. 3 million existing accounts maybe.

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

So is anyone still playing much? I've been leveling in NFA, but there usually aren't very many people on and I haven't seen anyone putting a group together for anything.

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008
I'm looking to get back into the game. I'm burnt out on GW2 again and I need my grindy MMORPG fix, and ArcheAge won't be available for poor slobs like me for a while. I saw the thing about the new loli god of war class and decided it might be an okay time to give Tera another shot.

I can't say how long it'll stick, but hopefully it'll be a nice distraction for a while. Do we still have a guild with players that actually play? I've got a 47 Berserker on Mount Tyrannus and was in DGKK about a year or more ago, some time around when the game went free to play.

IGN is Myanimu

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
TERA has come up a lot lately on my mumble, we played it hard for a few weeks before realizing there was nothing to do, and ended up quitting. If we came back to the game where would we stand? Have they increased level caps and poo poo, requiring a week of boring level grinding to catch up, or are we looking at jumping straight back into actual content?

Sync
Nov 16, 2012

In the evenings PST/EST we sometimes get around 10-15 people online in NFA, other days I only see a max of about 5 throughout the entire day. I don't use the mumble much anymore because I don't really run anything with the guild at the moment, but if you want groups go join the mumble. They're good people and you should be able to find groups for things providing people are actually online. Some people from TFT use the same mumble and since people have alts in different guilds and such, the number of people in the NFA guild list online might be under-representing how many people are actually online. Only way to know is to start joining the mumble.

The last content patch left the game in a state where there was no difficult PvE content and so many of the best players have left because there just wasn't anything to do. A new class in a week and new dungeons in the next couple of months will bring some back, so there is some hope. MCHM is still the hardest dungeon in the game so if you've done that Chocobo, then there aren't any more challenging dungeons. I do 3 man runs pretty regularly and those are fun, so you could always try doing challenge runs like that; doing it 2 man or learning how to run it 3 man with on undergeared alts and such. 2-manning things is a good way to keep the game fresh in my opinion. Running CoF an the hardest difficulty or the KN 10 man raid with only 2 people are some challenges that I believe are possible but I havn't really got the chance to try out. There's still stuff to do in the game, but you have to set barriers for yourself if you want a challening PvE experience, unfortunately.

Level cap is still 60 and I don't know if you've done Wonderholme and the 3man/5man/7man dungeons, but none of them are particularly challenging or interesting. The gear you get from them is a step up from the Abyss/Regent/VM1 gear, so if you want to gear up for the new patch you could always do that. Reaper coming out won't fix the problem though; the game is still too easy. New dungeons coming this summer hopefully will but that doesn't even have a firm month of release yet. Even then, the new hardest dungeon will come out probably a month after that set of dungeons, as it did in KTera. The new dungeons in KTera are not particularly challenging either but the new 10 man raid is more fun than Wonderholme and the new 1man/5man/7man look to be better than the current 3man/5man/7man dungeons.

Also, just as a reminder, if you want to join NFA just apply with DGKK/SA or something in the application and you will be accepted; DGKK is dead and the few people left are now in NFA.

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

I can tell everyone's really excited about Reapers tomorrow! Patch notes are up for anyone that cares, http://tera.enmasse.com/news/patch-notes/patch-2604

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Presteign posted:

I can tell everyone's really excited about Reapers tomorrow! Patch notes are up for anyone that cares, http://tera.enmasse.com/news/patch-notes/patch-2604

Loli of War is a fun enough class, really moves around a lot. Basically you start at 58, ilvl 138 which isn't terrible. I don't see the new crafting being that useful, though - yay you can grind one skill up to 800 and make useless crafted gear that nobody wants. I only played through the tutorial though, I'll see about getting to 60 and doing some of the dailies.

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

So things are kind of hosed for DPS queues thanks to Reapers, but I have some questions that hopefully someone can answer.

First I'm not sure about the Vault of Allies. Do I just need the ticket from the 1-man vault or do I need a specific rank in the alliance? I have a few tickets, but I've been ignoring people looking for more because I've never gotten a quest for it.

Second, how do I rank up in the alliance? NFA is in the Velika alliance and I can't use any of the services in the Free Traders Hall unless I'm a higher rank. Does that require me to PVP? When do I get the quest to do alliance BAMs?

I'm kind of confused about most of this Alliance stuff I guess. Nothing seems to be explained in game after the solo vault.

edit: Also anyone got some tips for wonderholme hard mode? I've been queuing for it that past couple days and every time is a clusterfuck of people dying early on. It shouldn't be this hard, but for some reason nobody can manage.

Presteign fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 17, 2014

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Do I sink everything into masterworking Wonderholme T14 loot, or save for the upcoming content?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Presteign posted:

So things are kind of hosed for DPS queues thanks to Reapers, but I have some questions that hopefully someone can answer.

First I'm not sure about the Vault of Allies. Do I just need the ticket from the 1-man vault or do I need a specific rank in the alliance? I have a few tickets, but I've been ignoring people looking for more because I've never gotten a quest for it.

Second, how do I rank up in the alliance? NFA is in the Velika alliance and I can't use any of the services in the Free Traders Hall unless I'm a higher rank. Does that require me to PVP? When do I get the quest to do alliance BAMs?

I'm kind of confused about most of this Alliance stuff I guess. Nothing seems to be explained in game after the solo vault.

edit: Also anyone got some tips for wonderholme hard mode? I've been queuing for it that past couple days and every time is a clusterfuck of people dying early on. It shouldn't be this hard, but for some reason nobody can manage.

Don't queue for stuff like that.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So where is everyone in TERA these days since DGKK shriveled on the vine? Did everyone move into the 4chan guild?

Sync
Nov 16, 2012

Presteign posted:

Yeah you're going to want a guild for WHHM. I mean don't get me wrong, once you know what's going on it really is very easy but pugs always manage to find ways to fail it; it's entertaining in a twisted sort of way. But if you're trying to learn it, yeah, get a guild. I don't know if I can recommend NFA on this one, as I don't think there have been many runs we've done, even since the patch. However, in the evening there is usually a call in the NFA guild chat for anyone who wants to do WHHM with Take It Easy (TiE), another 4chan guild. They will probably take new people so there's that. That and if you're in the mumble I'm almost positive you can find yourself runs. Another option would be to go to the guild fair today and find yourself a guild that suits you. Go to the tera homepage for times and stuff, it's sometime this afternoon I don't know exactly.

As for alliance stuff, the 1 man vault is just that; 1 man no requirements or anything. The vault tickets are for the 5 man vault, you need a party of 5 and everyone has to have a ticket and you kill basically the same thing but it drops way more loot. Same stuff, just more of it with a better chance of getting the rare jewelry. As for leveling up in alliance, there are lots of ways. You can do the alliance daily quests you get from your alliance leader (use your alliance skill to get to him), you can take extractors from enemy territory, you can PvP in alliance areas, you can do the daily dungeon quest, even the vault daily gives you some points. The ranks reset on a weekly basis, Tuesday mornings, so if you want to make sure you have the 1000 points needed to use the stuff in alliance halls pull up your alliance tab, go to My Alliance, Profile, and your score is listed there. If it's 1000 or higher, you get the member rank permanently, if I remember correctly.

Chocobo posted:

Do I sink everything into masterworking Wonderholme T14 loot, or save for the upcoming content?

Depends on your current gear. If you're currently geared enough to do the upcoming content then I'd say you don't have to but it would help. I'd recommend at least getting a +12 weapon and maybe +12 gloves. Really though the new content is probably months away so you might as well gear up, you have plenty of time.

Pierson posted:

So where is everyone in TERA these days since DGKK shriveled on the vine? Did everyone move into the 4chan guild?

As far as I know myself and Puda are the only ones left from DGKK who are now in NFA. Outside of NFA there are probably plenty of goons around in other guilds, but from DGKK we're the only two that I know of.

Sync
Nov 16, 2012

Also, an interesting Corsair's change hit Korea recently. I've seen it in action and while it doesn't change the flow of the game (which is a good thing in my opinion) there are a pretty nice set of additions that they're adding. Some of my favorites include suicide bombings, the leader having the ability to temporarily chat-ban people, reverse not charms not crapping on tanks anymore, and the round timer changes. Instead of a flat 15 minutes, you get 7 to start, 2 more once you break an outer gate, 3 more once you cap mid pyre, and 3 more once you break inner gate. It's a nice change that will prevent those really boring 15 minute kill-fests where the defense completely outclasses the offense. Overall I'm looking forward to it, even if it is many many months away (probably).

Full change list here: http://teratoday.com/tera-news/asia/ktera-may-8-patch-preview

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Sync posted:

As far as I know myself and Puda are the only ones left from DGKK who are now in NFA. Outside of NFA there are probably plenty of goons around in other guilds, but from DGKK we're the only two that I know of.

I'm still around from time to time as well. I stick in DGKK since I don't play very often (in fact, someone accept Rabaz, my loli-in-chains character).

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Been waiting a few hours for account activation email to come through, does it usually take awhile?

Baby Nanny
Jan 4, 2007
ftw m8.

Fenarisk posted:

Been waiting a few hours for account activation email to come through, does it usually take awhile?

If you're using gmail check in your "promotions" tab. Had that issue last night.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Tried playing the last hour, and I've been disconnected about 4 times. Is this normal or are the servers making GBS threads themselves? This is on Mount Tyrannas connecting from central US.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Fenarisk posted:

Tried playing the last hour, and I've been disconnected about 4 times. Is this normal or are the servers making GBS threads themselves? This is on Mount Tyrannas connecting from central US.

Really not normal. They used to have that problem when Nexus was a free-for-all, but since they split the sites more and capped at 120 players it's gone away. For me, all the disconnects lately have been my shittastic ISP, not their servers.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Decided to log in for the first time since leveling a second character to 60 after it went free to play and can't say I care all that much for the new class. Maybe I just don't 'get' what they were going for but the design seems really unfocused. Part of that might be how you start at level 50 and level through to 60 almost immediately. You hardly have time to understand what a skill does before you've got new ones crowding out your hotbar. I'm probably just going to end up uninstalling it again shortly.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah a big problem with them is that you dont get to play around much with things like the skill alterations before getting to cap so you have no idea what is good or not. The class itself is also really hard to manage right because it sits in a horrible position of being the most position dependent class in the game on a game where all your abilities have some form of momentum. This makes controlling them properly a huge bitch and a half.

The attacks themselves are really flashy and have great sense of weight, the class is also really agile having two consecutive dodges, a parry/counter, a disengage, a re-engage. But the positioning feels so weird compared to everything else that it just doesn't sit well.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I've been trying Slayer after an extended hiatus and I really, really don't get how this works. Considering how many Reapers I've seen filling up parties in LFG, I don't think I'll bother continuing with this one and just go back to my Slayer.

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah a big problem with them is that you dont get to play around much with things like the skill alterations before getting to cap so you have no idea what is good or not. The class itself is also really hard to manage right because it sits in a horrible position of being the most position dependent class in the game on a game where all your abilities have some form of momentum. This makes controlling them properly a huge bitch and a half.

The attacks themselves are really flashy and have great sense of weight, the class is also really agile having two consecutive dodges, a parry/counter, a disengage, a re-engage. But the positioning feels so weird compared to everything else that it just doesn't sit well.

They are really, really easy to pick up if you main a sorc, and the positioning seems really similar (has an equivalent to tjaunt, has an equivalent to glacial retreat). But I'm ultra mobile on my sorc too.

I really like them and they brought me back to the game after a 3 month hiatus, as well as the fact you now have faces for elins that let you make them look like "anime teenager" vs "anime 8 year old" I'm also not too fussed about them being elin only. Immediately spent a height modifier on mine to make it taller.

Only thing that's pissing me off now is why the drat thing has a wolf's tail and dragon ears. I'd cover up the incongruous ears with a hat but that gives me a stupid childish hairstyle that I was trying to avoid in the first place with the dragon ear hairstyle. /autism

Oh and "no reapers" in every drat LFG game. Time to find a new guild, mine has died (obviously, because I quit playing).

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Retro Access posted:

They are really, really easy to pick up if you main a sorc, and the positioning seems really similar (has an equivalent to tjaunt, has an equivalent to glacial retreat). But I'm ultra mobile on my sorc too.

I really like them and they brought me back to the game after a 3 month hiatus, as well as the fact you now have faces for elins that let you make them look like "anime teenager" vs "anime 8 year old" I'm also not too fussed about them being elin only. Immediately spent a height modifier on mine to make it taller.

Only thing that's pissing me off now is why the drat thing has a wolf's tail and dragon ears. I'd cover up the incongruous ears with a hat but that gives me a stupid childish hairstyle that I was trying to avoid in the first place with the dragon ear hairstyle. /autism

Oh and "no reapers" in every drat LFG game. Time to find a new guild, mine has died (obviously, because I quit playing).

The wings are tiny little bat wings but I have no idea about the super fluffy tail. I don't think bats have tails like that but that's me. The "no reapers" thing seems to be because there's always 5 of them as soon as the LFG post is put up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I've been having a blast once the game was stable (Comcast I guess was the problem), got to level 12 and left lumbertown or whatever and spent the last two hours just instantly killed and camped by people just outside of town :smith:

• Locked thread