Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Siivola posted:

Now I want to play something like Black Lagoon.

Shadowrun, because chainsaws are really good now and .50's with underbarrel grenade launchers are fully supported. :getin:

But yeah you're probably better off going with Feng Shui.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Atlatl posted:

Shadowrun, because chainsaws are really good now and .50's with underbarrel grenade launchers are fully supported. :getin:
Sure, but what about kukrichucks? :colbert:

I guess I'll have to look into Feng Shui, then.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I know that "run it in FATE" is practically a meme around here by now but Feng Shui is the one game I would unhesitatingly recommend that someone run in FATE instead. The resolution system is almost FATE-esque anyway (d6 minus d6, add the result to a skill number and compare to a difficulty) except it has exploding dice which can cause the results to skew all over the place, and for a game as high-flying and crazy as it aims to be it's just a bit too fiddly in places (there's a gun stunt that lets you never have to reload...but you have to buy it three times to get to that point, stuff like that).

Archetypes and Melodramatic Hooks essentially translate 1-1 with High Concepts and Troubles, and I feel like FATE's system of creating aspects works better as far as encouraging the players to do all sorts of crazy stuff to the environment and their opponents than Feng Shui's own stunt guidelines which were pretty awesome for the time the game came out in 1996 but essentially boil down to "don't penalize players for describing things in a cool way."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Siivola posted:

...Gee, thanks. Now I want to play something like Black Lagoon. Aside from Hollowpoint, are there even any good games for that sort of John Woo shoot all the things Hong Kong action cinema stuff?

This game from 1996 is what, IMO, blazed the trail that would create games like Fate and Apocalypse World. Its not as good as either of those, but it is literally what you're asking for. There is even a rule where a player using a shotgun gets a bonus point of damage if he, the player himself, not the character, mimes out pumping his shotgun and speaks a "KA-CHANK" sound effect (which I ruled applied to lever and bolt action rifles).

Darksaber posted:

Feng Shui? I don't have personal experience with it, just what was in the Fatal & Friends threads, but it didn't sound like a terrible system at all, and I'm sure you could strip out all the time travelling mystical stuff if you want, depending on your preferred flavor of Hong Kong cinema.

Yeah, you don't need to use the default setting (though its a hilarious awesome excuse to mash together every subgenere of action movies into one explosion filled mess). The first one shot I ever ran for friends was a Matrix game that ripped off the basic premise of Die Hard.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 18, 2014

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Kai Tave posted:

I know that "run it in FATE" is practically a meme around here by now but Feng Shui is the one game I would unhesitatingly recommend that someone run in FATE instead.  The resolution system is almost FATE-esque anyway (d6 minus d6, add the result to a skill number and compare to a difficulty) except it has exploding dice which can cause the results to skew all over the place, and for a game as high-flying and crazy as it aims to be it's just a bit too fiddly in places (there's a gun stunt that lets you never have to reload...but you have to buy it three times to get to that point, stuff like that).

Archetypes and Melodramatic Hooks essentially translate 1-1 with High Concepts and Troubles, and I feel like FATE's system of creating aspects works better as far as encouraging the players to do all sorts of crazy stuff to the environment and their opponents than Feng Shui's own stunt guidelines which were pretty awesome for the time the game came out in 1996 but essentially boil down to "don't penalize players for describing things in a cool way."

I'd straight-up run Feng Shui in FAE, no question. The only question is do I keep the same Approaches or replace them with something like:

• Explosions!
  • Kung Fu!
  • Guns! Lots of Guns!
  • One-Liners!
  • Magic!
  • Improbably-Applicable Mundane Skill!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What about Car Chases? :colbert:

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wouldn't Explosions! be the primary skill there?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I know that "run it in FATE" is practically a meme around here by now but Feng Shui is the one game I would unhesitatingly recommend that someone run in FATE instead. The resolution system is almost FATE-esque anyway (d6 minus d6, add the result to a skill number and compare to a difficulty) except it has exploding dice which can cause the results to skew all over the place, and for a game as high-flying and crazy as it aims to be it's just a bit too fiddly in places (there's a gun stunt that lets you never have to reload...but you have to buy it three times to get to that point, stuff like that).

When the DFRPG came out, one of the first things I did was start working on a Feng Shui hack since aspects, stunts, and creature powers did like half the work for me.

Seriously, I'd kill for a Fate Core Feng Shui game.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think car chases are a problem you solve, not a way you solve them. Though I admit a character who responds to obstacles by smashing through the wall in a 67 Charger like the Kool-Aid Man had a certain charm.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

dwarf74 posted:

That's on my list!

I'm in a mecha mood so I was told to watch Gurren Lagann next, and after 1 episode I can't tell if Bikini Boob Gun Girl is meant to be taken ironically or not.

Late to this particular train but I swear to god who keeps telling you to do this? 70% of the fun of Gurren Lagann is that it is a lovingly crafted rip-off homage to the mecha genre which was kind of dead at the point when GL came out. It steals/borrows poo poo from Gainax's earlier works as well as a lot of other super robo shows.

If you want Super Robo Mecha watch some GaoGaiGar, Mazinkaiser or, preferably, Getter Robo. If you're looking for something a bit more modern Star Driver is an....entertaining show, but not one that should be taken too seriously. Hell, they manage to make the 'the girl' character into an actual human being who steals some of the best scenes in the series!

If you want 'Real' Robo watch one of the good Gundam Shows (I would recommend Zeta, Turn A, Victory, or War in the Pocket) or maybe Macross (Ignoring G Gundam and Macross 7 which are amazing and the best but more Super robo in themes and execution).

It's me, I'm the guy getting :goonsay: about Mecha anime.

Also Please Watch Legend of The Galactic Heroes.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 18, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Each car is made up of two zones (inside, hanging on outside), and the road between each car is a separate zone you don't want to end up in.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also Please Watch Legend of The Galactic Heroes.

This is all I'll probably add to the anime discussion, because it can never be said enough.

Its also basically Traveller High Guard/Trillion Credit Squadron: The Anime. :v:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Evil Mastermind posted:

When the DFRPG came out, one of the first things I did was start working on a Feng Shui hack since aspects, stunts, and creature powers did like half the work for me.

Seriously, I'd kill for a Fate Core Feng Shui game.

Tianxia. It would require really minimal refluffing of the Chi skill and creative usage of stunts and that's about it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is all I'll probably add to the anime discussion, because it can never be said enough.

Its also basically Traveller High Guard/Trillion Credit Squadron: The Anime. :v:

Yeah I know it's 100+ episodes long but it is simply (one of) the best animated things to come out of Japan. Please watch it.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

watch some GaoGaiGar

This is all anyone here really needs to know about anime.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Anybody recommending an anime that is not Legend of Galactic Heroes is a drat fool. We can talk about ninjas and whatever but your anime doesn't feature an alternate universe history professor telling you the sociopolitical implications of intergalactic shipping routes and their influence on political evolution of a neo-feudalist empire.

Besides, it features perhaps one of the greatest exchanges about alcohol in any media.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I've tried watching Legend of Galactic Heroes, and I think it's really good, but it's just too drat depressing to watch much of. I can't really watch more than twenty or thirty episodes before I get sick of watching millions of people and dozens of characters die in pointless and excruciating ways. :smith:
Then I go play 40K. :ironicat:

Speaking of pointless and excruciating, I should really get back to my F&F of Twilight 2000. The gear :spergin: section kind of burned me out.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the fanmade Final Fantasy RPG kinda... bad? I remember reading the writeup in F&F and I got the distinct impression that there were some terrible problems with it, but it seems that was second edition and there's apparently a third one now? Some MMO goons I know are planning to try it out, and if anyone has some experience with it I'd like to be able to warn them off of it or at least point out major pitfalls.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's outstandingly bad. Not in the way that, say, FATAL is bad but nothing any group of people should actually be using.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Darksaber posted:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the fanmade Final Fantasy RPG kinda... bad? I remember reading the writeup in F&F and I got the distinct impression that there were some terrible problems with it, but it seems that was second edition and there's apparently a third one now? Some MMO goons I know are planning to try it out, and if anyone has some experience with it I'd like to be able to warn them off of it or at least point out major pitfalls.

What I remember about first edition was that 90% of abilities were traps and the ones that weren't were so staggeringly game-breakingly powerful that by taking them you could easily solo foes magnitudes of power higher than you. That and the math is a mess all over.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

Anybody recommending an anime that is not Legend of Galactic Heroes is a drat fool. We can talk about ninjas and whatever but your anime doesn't feature an alternate universe history professor telling you the sociopolitical implications of intergalactic shipping routes and their influence on political evolution of a neo-feudalist empire.

Besides, it features perhaps one of the greatest exchanges about alcohol in any media.

How could I abandon a friend, Barudak?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
If you liked Gurren Lagann but thought "man, this would be awesome set in the Warring States era of Japan" then Sengoku Basara is the anime for you! It is the most ridiculously over-the-top thing ever but it's got a decent plot in between absurd battle scenes and intentionally overwrought characterization. I'm pretty sure everyone involved was taking heavy acting lessons from Shatner.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The mecha anime you need to watch is Gasaraki. It's like Gurren Lagann except it's not stupid and has kabuki demon summoners riding giant monster mechs and evil senators starting wars to influence global trade markets. Or was it the other way around?

I don't know, poo poo was nuts.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
What are some good tabletop RPGs for a group of people who have never played a RPG before? There's a group I'm buying some stuff for who have never played or run anything like D&D or Pathfinder, and I'm looking for some decent recommendations. Preferably a sci-fi and fantasy.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

SquadronROE posted:

What are some good tabletop RPGs for a group of people who have never played a RPG before? There's a group I'm buying some stuff for who have never played or run anything like D&D or Pathfinder, and I'm looking for some decent recommendations. Preferably a sci-fi and fantasy.

Dungeon World. Dungeon World is hands down the top of the list for that use case.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dungeon World for fantasy. Maybe for sci-fi too, depending on how hard your sci-fi is too :science:

It's definitely not perfect, but for ease of introduction and relative quality to the rest of the field, I'd say it's probably your best option.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

Dungeonworld/Apocalypseworld are really light and simple to intuit games in those genres. Marvel Heroic Roleplay worked really well for my group as well but that fits neither genre.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SquadronROE posted:

Danger Patrol is free and a great introductory RPG. Easy chargen, very little rules knowledge required to play (more needed to run), and a resolution system heavily rooted in the concept of doing whatever seems like fun at the time.

(The beta is what you want from that page)

e: It's based around one-shots though, if you want something more long-term you want another system. I would still recommend Danger Patrol as an "OK Here's what RPGs are we'll start the real campaign next week" introduction.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 18, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Dungeon World for fantasy. Maybe for sci-fi too, depending on how hard your sci-fi is too :science:
I'm still pretty surprised that nobody's made a sci-fi PbtA game yet.

Speaking of DW, I started listening to the One Shots podcast today, where they were playing DW and holy poo poo I need to up my GMing game.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of DW, I started listening to the One Shots podcast today, where they were playing DW and holy poo poo I need to up my GMing game.

The One Shots podcast is a great example of GMs playing fast and loose with the rule systems to make for a more interesting story.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Fiasco is also good because it gets a group comfortable with the actual role-playing bit, mostly because it is a game of loving up royally and figuring out what happens next.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Spincut posted:

The One Shots podcast is a great example of GMs playing fast and loose with the rule systems to make for a more interesting story.
I will admit that every time he used a move wrong I got a little twitchy but I managed to keep it under control.

(Seriously, dude, they give you a sheet with all the moves spelled out on it)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
ZODIAC emulates Final Fantasy's systems dutifully, and therefore is a utter mechanical disaster.

ZODIAC posted:

Ah, the fabled Third Edition, where many RPGs before us have found the mythical Game Balance of legend.

Hahahaha... oh, 2001, the age of innocence.

Evil Sagan posted:

The mecha anime you need to watch is Gasaraki. It's like Gurren Lagann except it's not stupid and has kabuki demon summoners riding giant monster mechs and evil senators starting wars to influence global trade markets. Or was it the other way around?

I don't know, poo poo was nuts.

It was definitely an interesting anime (particularly as a look at crazy Japanese right-wing nuttery) if glacially paced, but the political and economic nonsense had about as much bearing on reality as Gurren Lagann's spiral energy. Not stupid? I think it's just stupid about different things.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Mastermind posted:

What kind of sci-fi though :v:

I'm pretty sure at least a half dozen separate games would fit comfortably under that banner.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I mean, Apocalypse World is Sci-Fi. The problem with wanting PBtA Sci-Fi is that you need a much more specific genre or you're not using the Apocalypse Engine to its full capacity.

But there's both Apocalypse World's post-apoc Sci-Fi and Dungeon Planet for golden age pulp so what we really need is 70s New Wave psychedelia Sci-Fi and we'll have all the important bases covered.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Don't get me started on describing my dream sci-fi RPG.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm working on it. It's even diceless!

Tollymain posted:

Mecha. Always mecha.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Hey our little goon group is gonna be streaming again tonight.

The Game is Inverse World ( Dungeon World Conversion )

The People include:

Madscientistworking
TheDemon
Killerqueen
and others!

Click here to watch at 7pm CST!

Be prepared for Goat People / Goat Puns.

gnome7 posted:

Mecha. Always mecha.

When in doubt, have a giant robot punch it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm still pretty surprised that nobody's made a sci-fi PbtA game yet
There's Dungeon Planet, which hacks DW for the Swords-and-Blasters kind of pulp SF adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Mastermind posted:

Don't get me started on describing my dream sci-fi RPG.

Get started :munch:

gnome7 posted:

I'm working on it. It's even diceless!

I'm also working on a card-based AW variant. No I haven't released any of my other projects yet why do you ask :shepface:

• Locked thread