Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The Spidey rights were also an extra-special clusterfuck because of the Carolco bankruptcy or whatever. I still have no idea how all that worked out, or how Sony ended up being the one holding the prize at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I think Columbia ended up with them, then Sony acquired Columbia.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gavok posted:

The movie's up on YouTube twice, so you can check it out there. Official release? Not so much, though they are releasing a documentary on it soon.

d00gZ is @DavidUzumeri

Don't know about burtle, but everyone should be following @Gavin4L. That guy is the cat's pajamas.

That @gavin4l guy sucks, he makes bad wrestling puns and likes stupid poo poo. @DickeyeSmash is where it's at.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

Is it even possible to see that movie? I know the cast made media/con appearances but it was never actually released.

Also, is there a list of BSS Twitters somewhere? I'm only following a handful. Do doogs or burtle have one?
Burtle's is @burts.

There's a bunch of BSSers on Twitter. Mine is @EndlessMike (like anyone would want to follow me)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
My twitter name is the same as my SA name.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Ooooh, we're sharing twitters? I'm @rallyv

I talk some comics, a lot of bullshit too but with con season coming up, I'll have at least an influx of comicy tweets during Denver Comic Con and SDCC.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

That's silly. Skrulls first appeared in the Fantastic Four's second ever issue.
It's about association more than anything else which is why we ended up with the weird situation involving Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Kingpin is also strictly under the Daredevil franchise despite originally being a Spidey villain.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's about association more than anything else which is why we ended up with the weird situation involving Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Kingpin is also strictly under the Daredevil franchise despite originally being a Spidey villain.

Which I can understand, but I always got the impression the Skrulls were mostly still associated with the Fantastic Four. The only Avengers thing I can think they are tied into is the Kree-Skull War, and maybe Secret Invasion if you count that as primarily Avengers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

Which I can understand, but I always got the impression the Skrulls were mostly still associated with the Fantastic Four. The only Avengers thing I can think they are tied into is the Kree-Skull War, and maybe Secret Invasion if you count that as primarily Avengers.

I think its a greater marvel thing. That they are not defined by just one franchise, so the race is still owned by Marvel.

The Skrull Beatles should be in the next movie.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 18, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

My twitter name is the same as my SA name.

Same here, @hakkesshu, though I don't tweet a lot (which might be a good thing I dunno!)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'd share my twitter but not only do I almost never tweet but I don't tweet about comics when I do. The last time I tried being at all active was because Debbie Roch on nagged me into it when I met her at a horror con, after me laughingly mentioning we both still followed each other in spite of my sparse habits.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am @Mancallediam (I think) but I hardly ever tweet because I still haven't figured it out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't really tweet about comics much either, so.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I'm @Zenbomb, though I post here more often than I even look at Twitter.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Ron Perelman (through his holding company MacAndrews and Forbes) bought Marvel in 1989.

I know who it actually is but every time I see this I always think that this guy

bought Marvel.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hey guys comixology's doing a sale on Invinciblhahahaha no but really though, don't buy that lovely comic.

On a serious note, is Superior Carnage any good? Bearing in mind that I'm almost a Gavok-level fanboy for '90s symbiote poo poo.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I'm @HendrixTrog

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm @TheRealCapnAndy if sporadic tweets that are almost always stupid thoughts that I feel like shouting into the void are your sort of thing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Why anyone would feel the need to go look at my (only rarely comics-related) Twitter is beyond me, but since that seems to be the thing we're doing now, it's @dcb42.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hey guys comixology's doing a sale on Invinciblhahahaha no but really though, don't buy that lovely comic.

On a serious note, is Superior Carnage any good? Bearing in mind that I'm almost a Gavok-level fanboy for '90s symbiote poo poo.

It's not bad. The first four issues are awesome, but the last issue is a huge letdown in a lot of ways.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I've been thinking about dropping a lot of my big-two books or moving them to digital but it just occurred to me that for example it's $4 for Batman #30 at the comic shop, or $4 for it on ComiXology. Is this pricing just down to the whole "digital is a threat to retail, so lets succumb to retail's demands" thing or is there another reason? I mean obviously people need to get paid but surely it cost more to make a physical book than it does to distribute it digitally?

I'd move so much more to digital if it were a little cheaper.

Edit: I guess operating costs for Comixology come into play here.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 19, 2014

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I know someone brought this up before, but goddamn the Life and Times of Scrooge album is amazing. It's up on Spotify now. Everyone should really give it a listen.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Sundowner posted:

I've been thinking about dropping a lot of my big-two books or moving them to digital but it just occurred to me that for example it's $4 for Batman #30 at the comic shop, or $4 for it on ComiXology. Is this pricing just down to the whole "digital is a threat to retail, so lets succumb to retail's demands" thing or is there another reason? I mean obviously people need to get paid but surely it cost more to make a physical book than it does to distribute it digitally?

I think the printing costs are a pretty small share of the costs of a comic. Most of it is just paying the writer, artist, etc

E: actually, the store and diamond take like half the price. I'm sure comixology could come down a bit, I don't think being 50 cents cheaper is enough to sway many people

StumblyWumbly fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 19, 2014

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Jim Shooter almost bought Marvel, but Perelman's bid ended up being slightly higher. I wonder what things would look like now if it had gone the other way.

Shooter fires Todd McFarlane off Amazing Spider-Man for not understanding storytelling fundamentals and replaces him with Don Perlin. Erik Larsen and Rob Liefeld never get hired by Marvel and continue working on C-list DC titles. Image Comics never happens as a result. Shooter doesn't let Marvel get into the variant cover gimmick, so the speculator boom never happens and the comics market doesn't implode in 1993. Marvel never abandons their core demographic of children ages 8-13 and continues to publish a lot of licensed comics, eventually picking up the licenses to Pokemon and Sailor Moon. The manga boom never happens as Marvel produces their own adaptations of the most popular anime properties instead of translating the Japanese originals.

In the present day, comics are still mainly a mass market medium aimed at children, but with more comics shops still open thanks to the market not tanking in 1993, creator-owned books aimed at adults still flourish on the margins. Shooter eventually sells out to Disney and retires a wealthy man. The first Avengers movie comes out with a storyline based on the Korvac saga instead of The Ultimates and bombs at the box office.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man, digital sales are impossible to predict. Issue 1 of the comic adaptation of the first Captain America movie has been at the top slot on Comixology all day, and I don't think it's even on sale. Who the gently caress is buying that thing?

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think the printing costs are a pretty small share of the costs of a comic. Most of it is just paying the writer, artist, etc

E: actually, the store and diamond take like half the price. I'm sure comixology could come down a bit, I don't think being 50 cents cheaper is enough to sway many people

I don't speak for everyone but honestly that might be enough for me to consider it and a dollar less would seal the deal but that's maybe asking too much. Right now digital is hand in hand with what I already pay for a physical book, 50c less is still cheaper and thereby saving money overall when I start to add up the amount of books I'd be getting digitally if they were cheaper.

10 books at $30 becomes 10 books at $25, which leaves room for one or two more books haha.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sundowner posted:

Digital pricing directly controlled by content producers seems to be set by "People pay that much in stores, so we can charge the same amount and keep it all for us!" (or at least a bigger slice). Of course this overlooks that MSRP is regularly undercut which makes digital purchases often more expensive than buying the physical media.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
That's a little frustrating. I'd like to move some things to digital. It means being able to catch up on older stuff that's a lot more pricey to pick up physically, like anything between #1-12 of any popular Image series. I much prefer reading paper over pixels but I don't want my physical collection to be just made up of throwaway series that I only liked somewhat at the time. Sure I can give them away or sell them but I could just nip it in the bud and only buy things that I really like and keep my collection boiled down to only the best stuff and still get to read those throwaway/half-decent-not-worth-owning series digitally.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The publishers have willingly tied physical distribution around their necks like an anchor and it's keeping digital from being what it could be. Basic poo poo like being cheaper than physical media and separate issues merging themselves into a TPB when a story arc is completed is still missing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CapnAndy posted:

The publishers have willingly tied physical distribution around their necks like an anchor and it's keeping digital from being what it could be. Basic poo poo like being cheaper than physical media and separate issues merging themselves into a TPB when a story arc is completed is still missing.

This would be amazing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Or releasing 'digital TPBs' of events that collect all the issues into one readable line. I was reading Infinity on Marvel Unlimited and the comics have an actual flowchart of all the tie ins, but there's no way to just go "oh yes, I'd like to read what's going on over there"; you have to back out of the entire series, load a new one and select the right issue.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ghostlight posted:

Or releasing 'digital TPBs' of events that collect all the issues into one readable line. I was reading Infinity on Marvel Unlimited and the comics have an actual flowchart of all the tie ins, but there's no way to just go "oh yes, I'd like to read what's going on over there"; you have to back out of the entire series, load a new one and select the right issue.

I totally understand why and how this would be awesome, but I can't help but feel guilty about the guys who have the actual physical real-world comic shops. Maybe it's wrong to feel guilty about taking business away from them, but I do.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Len posted:

This would be amazing.
It really would be! And it would take so little effort to do! And it'd even incentivize people to buy the singles, because you'd get access to the TPBs before they go on sale!

But we can't have internal combustion engines making the poor horse-and-buggies look slow, so it's not done.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So it's a good idea to be a huge rear end in a top hat when you're trying to sell you comics to a local shop.

Dude came in, was a huge prick, like a Hrdcore Pawn customer come to life. He had a milkcrate of comics and he was pretty much demanding cash. When I told him we did credit only he kind of half threatened me, told me to stop being a bitch, etc etc. I was just gonna call security when I flipped past something. After confirming what it was I offered him $50 out of my own pocket. He tried for more, I lowered my offer and he accepted. I then process and turned my new purchase into the store for credit, the way our system works I cashed in $41.75 in store credit but I kept two books. Which books you say?

Those sell for $75-100 each.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That sure is a cool story about being the bigger rear end in a top hat in a situation.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Wait, were there other books that you cashed in for the store credit or did you take store credit and also keep the books?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Literally The Worst posted:

That sure is a cool story about being the bigger rear end in a top hat in a situation.

Buying something for less than it's worth makes you a bigger rear end in a top hat than threatening a clerk?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sarchasm posted:

Buying something for less than it's worth makes you a bigger rear end in a top hat than threatening a clerk?

Buying something for less than its worth, processing it for credit for credit for yourself, pocketing a couple choice things to sell for even MORE than you paid for it, and then posting about it on the internet to sound like an awesome dude with cool stories does, yeah.

The response to the guy being a dick is to tell him to piss off, not to return fire by being a dick back.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Buying something for less than its worth, processing it for credit for credit for yourself, pocketing a couple choice things to sell for even MORE than you paid for it, and then posting about it on the internet to sound like an awesome dude with cool stories does, yeah.

The response to the guy being a dick is to tell him to piss off, not to return fire by being a dick back.

He wasn't a dick, just a competent comic shop guy and smart collector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

prefect posted:

I totally understand why and how this would be awesome, but I can't help but feel guilty about the guys who have the actual physical real-world comic shops. Maybe it's wrong to feel guilty about taking business away from them, but I do.
I would too, but they're all Rhyno.

• Locked thread