Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
As someone who doesn't train at all, sometimes I forget how hosed up and dangerous this sport can be. This one is a pretty blatant gently caress up all around, but corners really need to start taking more responsibility for fighter safety. Cain/JDS III is a prime example. I wouldn't have felt the slightest bit robbed as a fan if someone had just stepped in between rounds and said, "You know what, there's absolutely no reason this should continue."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I read somewhere that right as the round ended he was in a deep choke and almost out, then when he sat down he went out. If that is actually what happened and I'm not just making stuff up, and he passed out from the delayed effects of a blood choke (if that is even possible), then I would be ok with the fight continuing. If that isn't the case though then yeah that's pretty horrible.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Wyoming is still reviewing my application to be a medical official there. Maybe I should withdraw my application.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

Jerome Louis posted:

I read somewhere that right as the round ended he was in a deep choke and almost out, then when he sat down he went out. If that is actually what happened and I'm not just making stuff up, and he passed out from the delayed effects of a blood choke (if that is even possible), then I would be ok with the fight continuing. If that isn't the case though then yeah that's pretty horrible.
The problem with this is that it's very hard to tell at that point why exactly he passed out. I'm sure that what you're saying is possible. Maybe it's comparible to crouching for a while and quickly getting up again. I've often almost passed out from just that.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
Eh, the doctor barely looked at him. I'm not a medical expert, but I'd say a more thorough examination was warranted in that situation...

I'd be ok with a rule that says, "if your opponent's face touches the canvas between rounds, congratulations, you win."

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Agent Tough Juice posted:

Eh, the doctor barely looked at him. I'm not a medical expert, but I'd say a more thorough examination was warranted in that situation...

I'd be ok with a rule that says, "if your opponent's face touches the canvas between rounds, congratulations, you win."

Congratulations, you're grossly overqualified to be a B-league ringside doc, judge, ref or other position of oversight.

I agree though, corners shouldn't be afraid to throw in the towel if their fighter's in danger; the problem is that they're also vested in the fight, so they're also probably going to overlook their fighter's health trying to get the win.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

quote:

Wyoming State Board issued a statement to FanSided guaranteeing that Maranhao "was thoroughly examined by a licensed physician after he fell off his stool between the 4th and 5th round" and he was "medically safe to and capable of finishing the fight", but the Brazilian seems confused about what happened.

"No, they came to talk to me and do the exams after (the fight)," he said.

Maranhao left the phone for a second to ask his coaches if the doctor really entered the cage to check on him in between rounds.

"They came in between the rounds and asked if I was okay," Maranhao changed his story. "And right after the event, the commission and the doctors did all the exams as well."

Ah, yes. Very convincing. "I don't remember what happened, but I can guarantee you I was totally fine."

Not that I'm not sympathetic to him. He's been put in the very tough spot of having to defend his team.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Agent Tough Juice posted:

Ah, yes. Very convincing. "I don't remember what happened, but I can guarantee you I was totally fine."

Not that I'm not sympathetic to him. He's been put in the very tough spot of having to defend his team.

if you can't remember the doc asking if you're ok, maybe you weren't ok?

But yeah a cursory once-over is not a thorough examination.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Matt Hobar got called up to the UFC so

quote:

‏@guicruzzz 2m
With Matt Hobar signing with the UFC, Thomas Almeida (16-0) vs. Aaron Phillips (5-0) is now for the vacant 135-pound title at Legacy FC 32.

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
Fun little video here about Dean and Mrs. of Mean shot by E. Casey Lydon of All Elbows: http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/15/5613340/outside-the-cage-the-jardines

Also, de Almeida is going to kill that guy.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

individual865 posted:

Fun little video here about Dean and Mrs. of Mean shot by E. Casey Lydon of All Elbows: http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/15/5613340/outside-the-cage-the-jardines

Also, de Almeida is going to kill that guy.

she has a kettle bell coffee cup, that's so rad.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

quote:

@JColossus 5m
Made it to 120kg, just in time for summer. All I need now is a fight @KenPavia

Someone find this man a fight

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
What really confuses me is that Ken keeps telling JT that he's retired but JT doesn't believe him.

Mean while, my friend Alex won on the BAMMA prelims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vZG2eWQvuk

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Also Max Nunes won in Russias Pro FC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuZ-ollwyGw

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm kind of shocked now at how much I'm enjoying EA MMA. Last night I grabbed the belt at the British org and got called up to "Mystic" which seems to be a PRIDE stand-in (because I'd rather fight in a fake org in Japan than fuckin' Strikeforce).

Now that I understand the BJJ part of the game I seem to be dominating it, my guy is a generalist but once I understood that strikes from the bottom do almost literally nothing I don't think I've missed blocking any reversals or sweeps.

One thing they do better than the UFC games is sell a "style" for a fighter you're facing. There never seemed to be much difference between anyone in Undisputed but in this game I'm running into clinch monsters who parry and counter perfectly, guys obsessed with double legging you, kickers, etc.

However the MMA Blog that accompanies your career continues to be the best thing in the game. It is scarily accurate to how a sycophant reporter with a hard on for one particular fighter would be writing about him. He even talks about people complaining that he loves me too much and how they can suck eggs hahaha.

One complaint, that actually applies to both this and undisputed, I really hate the "pound them out" portion of trying to finish a fight. It feels so static and stupid with one guy just standing over the other while throwing the exact same punch. They should've just made it like the Submission animations where it's a canned animation that is slightly affected by your button mashing and has two possible outcomes (guy recovers or dies).

Do they do one night tourneys in this fake PRIDE? Is there much else to look forward to in career other than trying to get to the top of Mystic? Like will I ever get an oppurtunity to change Orgs again or anything like that?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
After enough time lapses Mystic goes under and you switch to Strikeforce where after more time you find out EA MMA has been absorbed into Undisputed but you aren't allowed to play for nearly a year and get stuck in contract limbo. You have to wait it out, your only other option is a euthanasist at a kennel simulator.

They are super committed to realism

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

maffew buildings posted:

They are super committed to realism

Oh so it wasn't a glitch when I trained at Xtreme Couture and all my money disappeared?

Editing instead of replying because no one cares, but I'm still really digging this game. I wish it had slider settings like the major EA sports games because shots from the bottom need to do more no matter how unrealistic it is. The way it is now there's really no reason to even pay attention to any strikes someone on their back is throwing, which makes defending against any position changes comically easy. I also wish striking with the right stick wasn't such rear end but it works pretty good for anything other than trying to go all out on someone.

I took the belt yesterday in Mystic in a cool match that was 10 straight minutes of wacky scrambling, which completely gassed out the champ, then a 5 minute stand up clinic where I carefully balanced body and head shots so by the last minute he was drained of every single health bar available.

Right now I'm wondering if I should just start a new career or keep defending the Mystic belt to see if anything neat happens later.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 17, 2014

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
Here's a Peruvian card from Wednesday, if anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32CmfbsJLX8

And now:

Belated B-League Update!

Slim pickings this weekend, folks. Join me in #mma to discuss fights as they happen.

FRIDAY 4/18/14

2PM EDT -CWFC Fight Night 11: https://cagewarriors.mmajunkie.com

7PM EDT - BellatorFC 117: Lima Vs Hawn See thread.

SATURDAY 4/19/14

4PM EDT - COGA : Battle at the Bay VII: Link to come hopefully, card is headlined by "real life superhero" Phoenix Jones, aka. Ben Fodor, vs some dude, so should be amusing at least.

individual865 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 18, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Reading results for the recent IGF shows is so weird. Pro wrestling titles defended in shoot matches with worked storylines while aging shoot fighters do worked matches. The only thing that makes sense is Minowa tapping out scrubs.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Reading results for the recent IGF shows is so weird. Pro wrestling titles defended in shoot matches with worked storylines while aging shoot fighters do worked matches. The only thing that makes sense is Minowa tapping out scrubs.

It's Inoki's world, we just live in it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Someone on twitter said Cody McKenzie won a fight somewhere

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
He did, a 180lb catchweight fight in :canada:

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

individual865 posted:

4PM EDT - COGA : Battle at the Bay VII: Link to come hopefully, card is headlined by "real life superhero" Phoenix Jones, aka. Ben Fodor, vs some dude, so should be amusing at least.

This guy is the biggest retard in Seattle

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Theres a guy who goes to street fairs wearing only kilt, socks and shoes and lets people staple money to him

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Bundt Cake posted:

Theres a guy who goes to street fairs wearing only kilt, socks and shoes and lets people staple money to him

I'm pretty sure that's actually a super hero.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

quote:

‏@JColossus 5m
My HIV test came back as positive. Thank gently caress for that I was worried for a second #Phew #CloseOne

What the gently caress did you do to him willie

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Yuriy posted:

What the gently caress did you do to him willie

His humor is so odd and dark and seemingly at complete random... although he has gotten down to 265 recently and looks positively skinny in comparison to his 300lbs days during the podcasts, I figured it was exercise and diet.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/jcolossus/status/457801773663924224

Everyone retweet this and get Franklins attention

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

willie_dee posted:

https://twitter.com/jcolossus/status/457801773663924224

Everyone retweet this and get Franklins attention

It would probably be more effective if people also gave individual tweets with the suggestion.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Does ONE FC even have a heavyweight division?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

colonel_korn posted:

He could fight two bantamweights at the same time :getin:

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
I'm pretty sure James Thompson vs Tim Sylvia would be a dream come true.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

colonel_korn posted:

A huge one.

Tim Sylvia.

Shoot I should've kept reading. Count me in for also wanting to see Sylvia vs Thompson though.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

MassRafTer posted:

A huge one.

Tim Sylvia.

Shoot I should've kept reading. Count me in for also wanting to see Sylvia vs Thompson though.

That would be horrible, I don't want to see Sylvia win any fight.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Thompson would gently caress Timmy's fat rear end up. A bunch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

There's trolling willie dee and then there is saying things with no basis in fact. You could think JT is the second worst fighter on the planet and he'd beat Timmy at this point.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Captain Log posted:

Thompson would gently caress Timmy's fat rear end up. A bunch.

When they fight, remind me, and we can have a probation toxx. Tim-poopy-pants is a horrible fighter, but Thompson is even worse.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

When they fight, remind me, and we can have a probation toxx. Tim-poopy-pants is a horrible fighter, but Thompson is even worse.

Tim Sylvia in the last 5 years has routinely shown up to fights in much worse shape than James Thompson has. Let that factoid sink in.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

1st AD posted:

Tim Sylvia in the last 5 years has routinely shown up to fights in much worse shape than James Thompson has. Let that factoid sink in.

Counter point: JT's 2006-2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Counter point: JT's 2006-2010.

You mean when he beat Yoshida, Don Frye, got robbed against Kimbo and spiralled into a depression/gambling habit because of it and semi retired/stopped training and only took fights on a weeks notice to stop his ex girlfriends house being repossessed?

Have you not been watching since he's been better and started training again now he has started getting a semi fair shake at things again?