Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ETD: probably after you beat the game because it's deleted scenes kind of stuff
Saints Save Christmas: in the week before the 25th of December :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Psion posted:

Where's the best place to play Saints Save Christmas and ETD in the campaign? I'm brand new to SRIV here. If it doesn't matter when you do them, that's fine too.

Story wise or the like, ETD is handled as a sort of 'behind the scenes commentary' thing, entirely breaking the fourth wall, so, whenever you want. SSC runs off the 'best' ending, but other then that, it really doesn't matter WHEN it's done, just know that it'll spoil a few things for the main campaign.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Spoilers or not, though, play Saints Save Christmas in December before Christmas. It's just...so...Christmasey. If it doesn't manage to put you in the holiday spirit, nothing will.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

HPanda posted:

Spoilers or not, though, play Saints Save Christmas in December before Christmas. It's just...so...Christmasey. If it doesn't manage to put you in the holiday spirit, nothing will.

Yeah its like watching your favorite TV show's christmas special in June. It just is loving weird.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
That all being said, if you, for some reason, don't feel like waiting eight months to play "How The Saints Saved Christmas", it's pretty enjoyable year-round.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Segmentation Fault posted:

$3.69? drat, so fine.
I still associate that song with Need for Speed: Underground after all this time. :allears:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

El Tortuga posted:

That all being said, if you, for some reason, don't feel like waiting eight months to play "How The Saints Saved Christmas", it's pretty enjoyable year-round.

yeah I wasn't planning on waiting eight months, I can pretend it's Christmas in April to get me through the DLC.

thanks, everybody. Now I have the dubstep gun stuck in my head. :v:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'd suggest waiting until the Kinzie Gambit mission comes up to play them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I started a new game because I wanted a reason to run around with the new DLC, but none of it is available in game. Its installed, but I don't see anything. I can only assume that you don't get access to the DLC stuff like the super saints outfits until you get the space ship hub?

It upsets me to no end that the punk hairstyle lady faux hawk you see citizens with its not available to the Boss. I really wanted to make a Captain Marvel boss.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

I started a new game because I wanted a reason to run around with the new DLC, but none of it is available in game. Its installed, but I don't see anything. I can only assume that you don't get access to the DLC stuff like the super saints outfits until you get the space ship hub?

This is correct. All of the DLC doesn't unlock until til that (except maybe the costume stuff? I think it's in shops as soon as you enter Steelport.)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mokinokaro posted:

This is correct. All of the DLC doesn't unlock until til that (except maybe the costume stuff? I think it's in shops as soon as you enter Steelport.)

Didn't see it, went to Planet Saints, Nobody Loves me and Let's Pretend and its all the standard stuff.

Is the revolver skin a reference to anything? Most of the gun skins are related to something else, but is it from something i don't recognize or just a cool, big rear end scary sci-fi looking revolver?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

twistedmentat posted:

Didn't see it, went to Planet Saints, Nobody Loves me and Let's Pretend and its all the standard stuff.

Is the revolver skin a reference to anything? Most of the gun skins are related to something else, but is it from something i don't recognize or just a cool, big rear end scary sci-fi looking revolver?

Mal's gun from Firefly

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Action Tortoise posted:

Mal's gun from Firefly

No, there's another revolver that has the options of tiger and wireframe.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

twistedmentat posted:

That's actually modeled after a real gun, the Chiappa Rhino:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Just a Mateba revolver or Chiappa Rhino. I guess if could be a Ghost In The Shell reference, but I doubt it. I guess they wanted a revolver but more futuristic. It's like the Guardsman Rifle, they wanted an assault rifle but futuristic, so they went with a Beretta CX Storm carbine.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wiseblood posted:

Ah neato. that's way scarier looking than even a Colt Python or the iconic Magnums.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Console co-op for Saints Row 2 is hosed when Gamespy shuts down, right? I just got someone interested in playing through this with me. :(

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
From what I've heard LAN stuff will still work, so if you use something like Hamachi you should still be able to do it.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Wiseblood posted:

Rhinos are awesome looking guns.

They're also just awesome period.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The DLC explosion blast power is so OP its hilarious. Explode an entire node while dropping on it never gets old.

IdolNinja
Mar 7, 2011

It's our time now!
Let's get this shit started!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Console co-op for Saints Row 2 is hosed when Gamespy shuts down, right? I just got someone interested in playing through this with me. :(

We just released an official statement:
http://saintsrow.com/community/go/thread/view/136773/30254829/Gamespy_shutdown_and_Saints_Row_2

The quickie version:
SR2 360 - Unaffected
SR2 PS3 - LAN Play will work, online will not
SR2 PC - Virtual LAN software like Evolve or Tunngle will still allow you to connect online via the in-game LAN option.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'
Just finished the game last night. Now I'm sort of disappointed I didn't pre-order it instead of waiting for a sale.
I've played the third and fourth games now, are the second or first ones worth looking for?

subhelios fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 30, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

subhelios posted:

Just finished the game last night. Now I'm sort of disappointed I didn't pre-order it instead of waiting for a sale.
I've played the third and fourth games now, are the second or first ones worth looking for?

2 yes, but be warned it's pretty janky gameplay wise from today's standards, but it's one of my very favorite all-time sandboxes. 1 is pretty meh, maybe consider checking out an LP or something, but 2 really surpasses it across the board.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

IdolNinja posted:

http://saintsrow.com/community/go/thread/view/136773/30254829/Gamespy_shutdown_and_Saints_Row_2

The quickie version:
SR2 360 - Unaffected
SR2 PC - Virtual LAN software like Evolve or Tunngle will still allow you to connect online via the in-game LAN option.

Surprised you guys aren't going the Steamworks route like some other ex-Gamespy games did.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

subhelios posted:

First one is dull and lacks character and feels like a cheap GTA clone, I'm told, second one is pretty great and totally worth looking into. PC version is garbage though and should not be played without IdolNinja's Gentlemen of the Row mod (it's really a collection of mods from many modders, but it's on his site) and you should expect many, many, many crashes even with the fixes.

IdolNinja
Mar 7, 2011

It's our time now!

Kaethela posted:

Surprised you guys aren't going the Steamworks route like some other ex-Gamespy games did.

It was a third party who did the Saints Row 2 PC port, and all of that was handled and coordinated by our publisher (at the time) THQ. Even if we did want to attempt Steamworks integration, it's a moot point since we can't even locate the source code (and believe me that was a hot topic a while back with all the modding SDK stuff we're working on with the community.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ChaosArgate posted:

second one is pretty great and totally worth looking into. PC version is garbage though and should not be played without IdolNinja's Gentlemen of the Row

PC is by far the superior option because of GotR. If you were just going to play the original version then (if you own a console it'll run on) then you should get it for console, but you'd be crazy not to want to play the modded version because it's way better.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Tiggum posted:

PC is by far the superior option because of GotR. If you were just going to play the original version then (if you own a console it'll run on) then you should get it for console, but you'd be crazy not to want to play the modded version because it's way better.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree that PC version is the best version because of GotR. I'm just very unimpressed with how often it crashes or refuses to boot for me even with GotR.

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011
Some sort of magnetic field surrounds me as computers break when I'm near, but miraculously Saints Row 2 only crashed once for me. That's with the brilliant Gentlemen of the Row, and a few other mods.

I think Saints Row 3 crashed more than that, thinking about things.

Nonetheless, I love these drat games, occasional warts and all.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

IdolNinja posted:

The quickie version:
SR2 360 - Unaffected
drat, I have both console versions, but my partner in crime only has a PS3. Oh well, worst case, we start with SR3. Thanks.

IdolNinja
Mar 7, 2011

It's our time now!
My killer app is finally here to buy an Oculus Rift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3XM_JB0aGo

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

IdolNinja posted:

My killer app is finally here to buy an Oculus Rift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3XM_JB0aGo

drat, first OR thing I'd actually consider playing

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I just bought this game today, and I remember there being a mod that let you change the time of day early in the game instead of after you beat it. Does this one still work, or is it included with a more recently updated mod?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Mill Village posted:

I just bought this game today, and I remember there being a mod that let you change the time of day early in the game instead of after you beat it. Does this one still work, or is it included with a more recently updated mod?

That one works but you have to install it before you do the mission where you get the ship.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm looking into playing SR4 again and I wonder which of the DLC are worth it? I have the season pass already, so it's really about weapons/new abilities or maybe really cool new outfits I'm wondering about.

Also, when playing with another person, am I able to use dlc that the other person doesn't own?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I'm looking into playing SR4 again and I wonder which of the DLC are worth it? I have the season pass already, so it's really about weapons/new abilities or maybe really cool new outfits I'm wondering about.

Also, when playing with another person, am I able to use dlc that the other person doesn't own?

The outfit DLC is subjective, though I'd recommend the Dubstep remix gun because it plays not-Dubstep and is thus infinitely more tolerable. You are able to use the DLC when playing with someone who doesn't own it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

You can, you just get a weird version error pop up when you do.

Everything works fine though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I would like to request DLC and/or the presence in the sequel of an option to dress my Saints who are on patrol in the neighborhood up in dapper suits and ties. With top hats. And monocles.

My inability to make the Saints as dapper as possible, regardless of gender, has long been a thorn in my side.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Wanderer posted:

I would like to request DLC and/or the presence in the sequel of an option to dress my Saints who are on patrol in the neighborhood up in dapper suits and ties. With top hats. And monocles.

My inability to make the Saints as dapper as possible, regardless of gender, has long been a thorn in my side.

If you use a mod on Saints Row Mods or the Inauguration Station, you can buy the Presidential Suit. I have no idea why that's not available by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The absolute coolest DLC weapon is the knife gun from the GatV pack.

ChaosArgate posted:

If you use a mod on Saints Row Mods or the Inauguration Station, you can buy the Presidential Suit. I have no idea why that's not available by default.
I think Wanderer was saying that they want to be able to customise gang members as well as the boss, or at least for one of the gang style options to be formal attire. Customisable gang members would be pretty great, although not as much in SR4 as in earlier games since you don't see random Saints as much. I'd love the ability to customise the clothes your named homies wear though, that would be awesome.

• Locked thread