Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Promethium posted:

I'll likely never read it personally, but according to the review I came across, "Patrick Weekes is a significantly better prose writer than David Gaider," so take that faint praise for what it's worth.

Haha, ouch. That is the faintest of well-intentioned praise. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Drifter posted:

"John, listen buddy. Listen. We want you back. Okay. We, look, we have this character you're gonna love, right? Strong, sexy, independent. A real hellraiser in heel-boots. But get this, right? She's, get this, hah, she's part cat. Right? Licks the meown character sometimes. It's crazy, right? Tits.

But get this, she's a, she's a farmer, who was sold into slavery. She dances now, swings from a tree, I don't know. She escapes, someone dies - she's on the run. You find her. David loves it. We want you to roll with it, make her sassy. Kitten dlc, the whole shebang.

Mrrrrowl.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Promethium posted:

I'll likely never read it personally, but according to the review I came across, "Patrick Weekes is a significantly better prose writer than David Gaider," so take that faint praise for what it's worth.

Read Weekes' The Palace Job if you can; it's a good humorous fantasy novel.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

funakupo posted:

Read Weekes' The Palace Job if you can; it's a good humorous fantasy novel.

Yeah, I bought it, it's a fun read.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Drifter posted:

"John, listen buddy. Listen. We want you back. Okay. We, look, we have this character you're gonna love, right? Strong, sexy, independent. A real hellraiser in heel-boots. But get this, right? She's, get this, hah, she's part cat. Right? Licks the meown character sometimes. It's crazy, right? Tits.

But get this, she's a, she's a farmer, who was sold into slavery. She dances now, swings from a tree, I don't know. She escapes, someone dies - she's on the run. You find her. David loves it. We want you to roll with it, make her sassy. Kitten dlc, the whole shebang.

When can we expect you back?"

I can't tell if this a joke anymore. :psyduck:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Android Blues posted:

I like Isabela because she's absolutely ridiculous and I feel like to enjoy DA2, you just have to go with it and accept that playing it is more like playing a swashbuckling adventure-romance novel than DAO's fantasy epic. Isabela and Varric are probably the companions that are most preposterous in manner and aspect and therefore, once you're on board with this idea, most enjoyable.

e: basically Isabela doesn't make a lot of sense if you inspect her too closely, but she's got a lot of fun energy and her voice actor kind of rules.

I still maintain that one of the reasons I like having Isabella in the party is because her voice actress is fantastic. I really wish they had given her pants, though. :(

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Bored posted:

I still maintain that one of the reasons I like having Isabella in the party is because her voice actress is fantastic. I really wish they had given her pants, though. :(

There's mods for that! I think.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Deltasquid posted:

Nah, only mods to take away even more, clearly. Don't you know modding communities at all?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

KittyEmpress posted:

Nah, only mods to take away even more, clearly. Don't you know modding communities at all?

http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage2...review%3D&pUp=1

Pants!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I like how even a mod made explicitly to add pants to a character also comes with a reskin that gives her fair skin, apparently. Because gamers can't have dark skin in games.

That was my favorite part of Skyrim's release. All the 'prettier redguard' mods that made them snow white people with blonde hair.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Well.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

MoreLikeTen posted:

Probably pissing in the cereal bowl level drivel or whatever. I don't think I've ever interacted with a video game's extended universe books or animes or whatever. They always seem like cheap cash-ins. Is there a gold standard for this kind of thing, or is it always just a guilty pleasure?

The Elder Scrolls books are ok in that they have nothing to do with the games directly, are short and in sequence, and are batshit insane. They're mega loving weird.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

KittyEmpress posted:

I like how even a mod made explicitly to add pants to a character also comes with a reskin that gives her fair skin, apparently. Because gamers can't have dark skin in games.

That was my favorite part of Skyrim's release. All the 'prettier redguard' mods that made them snow white people with blonde hair.

Baby steps :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I'm impressed by something on the Nexus. Dear god, what have I become?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It says a lot about Nexus when I was legitimately surprised at this.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Drifter posted:

I'm impressed by something on the Nexus. Dear god, what have I become?

Don't get me wrong, 99% of the stuff of the Nexus rightly deserves equal parts of mocking and disgust but, here and there, pop up little heroes that fight back by not making poo poo. :v:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Someone mentioned the gender balance in this earlier (six to three) and I just got to wondering, has there ever been a RPG where there are more women than men, barring the obvious examples like the Neptunia games that have no men, and the harem-rpgs?

I think the Atleir series on the PS3, maybe?

KoB
May 1, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Someone mentioned the gender balance in this earlier (six to three) and I just got to wondering, has there ever been a RPG where there are more women than men, barring the obvious examples like the Neptunia games that have no men, and the harem-rpgs?

The "Tales Of" games are usually 50/50 at least :v:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Deltasquid posted:

not for xbox360 :v:

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I'm concerned about the number of whitewashed Vivienne mods we will eventually see.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Leelee posted:

I'm concerned about the number of whitewashed Vivienne mods we will eventually see.

Nevermind copyright and rights management issues, Nexus Mods is the single best reason to not ever include mod support in a game.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

KittyEmpress posted:

Hmmm, I think that the persona series count. Persona 3 has, as the main cast, five male characters and four female ones + a dog, or four male and five female if the player character is female.
Persona 4 has four male and four female main characters.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Do the Persona games have the same level of ... I don't know the right word here...fleshed outedness or psuedo-3Dednes as the bioware games? Like, a lot of games have :airquote:characters:airquote: but they're just kinda words on a screen and such, whereas Bioware characters feel a bit more like actual actors in the setting. Like, there's some attempted reaction and emotion and stuff.

Like, I'd hesitate to call people from Final Fantasy fleshed out characters, but I'd call the people from Planescape Torment characters.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 18, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Drifter posted:

Do the Persona games have the same level of ... I don't know the right word here...fleshed outedness or psuedo-3Dednes as the bioware games? Like, a lot of games have :airquote:characters:airquote: but they're just kinda words on a screen and such, whereas Bioware characters feel a bit more like actual actors in the setting. Like, there's some attempted reaction and emotion and stuff.

Like, I'd hesitate to call people from Final Fantasy fleshed out characters, but I'd call the people from Planescape Torment characters.

Most of the characters have their own arc and undergo personal growth; there's actually a game mechanic called Social Links where the more of their personal storyline you've seen you get bigger bonuses applied to personae (it's of similar to FF8's GF system) that are linked to their related arcana (the game uses imagery from the standard tarot deck). It's like a longer, more drawn out version of a Bioware companion quest, with the added bonus that most of them act like real people, although you tend to be more of an enabler in 3 for most of the links. It's a lot better in 4 where your interactions tend to feel more like a healthy friendship that would develop even without the incentive of increased otherworldy power.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 18, 2014

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

And it actually has good characters, also.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah having played both Persona 3 (for the PSP) and Persona 4: The Golden (Vita) I'd say their characters are more deep/believable/interesting than the ones from... basically any Bioware RPG.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Drifter posted:

Every character in persona 3 has some sort of problem they're struggling with and the main character just nudges them in the right direction to fix their lives. Every character in persona 4 is more of a friend that you're hanging out with and then you find out they have some problems.

Most are written in a rather realistic way, too. For example, Persona 4's Yosuke falls in the stereotypical "lame best friend" category, and his arc is essentially about how he's a kid from the big city who moved to the backwards village the game takes place in because his father got a job there, and it's him complaining about that, his lovely job and the customers, and eventually opening up to you about his insecurities and how he misses a certain girl. It's genuinely quite touching.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Everyone should at least attempt to play Persona 4. Its anime as gently caress but its fantastic.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Deltasquid posted:

Every character in persona 3 has some sort of problem they're struggling with and the main character just nudges them in the right direction to fix their lives. Every character in persona 4 is more of a friend that you're hanging out with and then you find out they have some problems.

Most are written in a rather realistic way, too. For example, Persona 4's Yosuke falls in the stereotypical "lame best friend" category, and his arc is essentially about how he's a kid from the big city who moved to the backwards village the game takes place in because his father got a job there, and it's him complaining about that, his lovely job and the customers, and eventually opening up to you about his insecurities and how he misses a certain girl. It's genuinely quite touching.

From what I've seen of the games, Bioware really could stand to learn a few lessons about character and relationship writing from them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
drat I don't have a vita. Maybe I'll check out Persona 3 on the psp then.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Drifter posted:

If you have a PS3, they just released Persona 4 on there, and Persona 3's been on for a while.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How's the grind? One thing I enjoy about western jrpgs is that there isn't a very large grind. At least Bioware has that going for it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Drifter posted:

How's the grind? One thing I enjoy about western jrpgs is that there isn't a very large grind. At least Bioware has that going for it.

So long as you fuse new and more powerful personas as you go, you'll be fine. Level seems to be less important than having a good selection of personas so you're ready for any occasion. Other than that, so long as you make sure not to run away from too many fights, you shouldn't have much trouble until you hit a boss, and then it's more a case of knowing the right strategy. At least, that was my experience, and I'm not too huge on grinding, myself.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Drifter posted:

It doesn't work quite like that. You have one in-game year to do everything and excessive fighting can drain you to the point where you lose days to recover. You do need to grind, but its more important to know exactly how to power up your characters instead of just mindlessly killing everything. It's more about tactics and time management (as well as building a good high school social life for in-game benefits).

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Drifter posted:

Both persona 3 and 4 give you about one in-game year to balance a fine thread between going through dungeons and working on social links. If you do too much of one, you'll lag behind on the other. In general though, you can somewhat ignore the fighting part without lagging behind too much. Even if you do get outleveled, you just need to carefully win a few fights and the XP from higher-leveled monsters will make you catch up really quickly, whereas the xp of lower-leveled monsters is rather neglegible.

They're really good JRPG's in the sense that the grind is very soft in persona 3 (I think about 10% of my time spent on persona 3 was grinding) and not there at all in persona 4.

EDIT: we have reached the inevitable point where discussion about any RPG will inevitably lead to people praising persona 3 and 4 and egging someone on to try them.

One of us. One of us.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 19, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hmm persona sounds like a lot of work to play with all the character stuff. I may just play Dragon Age 2 again.

:v:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Leelee posted:

The fact that there's no doubt that this is going to happen is legitimately depressing. It reminds me of the time where a guy I played TF2 and L4D with got L4D2 and was appalled because Rochelle (a black lady character) wasn't Zoe (a white lady character.) He even went as far as saying that he didn't feel bad about modding Rochelle's model because "she doesn't act black anyways."

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

If you do play Persona 3 Portable, and you only ever intend to play it once, I'd play as the female character. A huge amount of the content is different (and I'd argue better written). Technically, the male protagonist is canon, but that really nevers matters from a story perspective.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Vanderdeath posted:

The fact that there's no doubt that this is going to happen is legitimately depressing. It reminds me of the time where a guy I played TF2 and L4D with got L4D2 and was appalled because Rochelle (a black lady character) wasn't Zoe (a white lady character.) He even went as far as saying that he didn't feel bad about modding Rochelle's model because "she doesn't act black anyways."

Just for trolling purposes, we should make a mod that changes everyone's skin colour to darker tones ranging from North-African to Sub-Saharan. Maybe the Nexus will implode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Deltasquid posted:

EDIT: we have reached the inevitable point where discussion about any RPG will inevitably lead to people praising persona 3 and 4 and egging someone on to try them.

One of us. One of us.

As long as they don't come out on the PC I will never play these. Still, I can always replay Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment or Icewind Dale.

• Locked thread