Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I appreciate the feedback. I'm happy to hear that your energy bill didn't change much.

Sorry that you don't like Florida, but I completely understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

H. Helluva posted:

What kills me now, the cost to maintain the sanity of my wife and I has reached (our total monthly rent and utilities) $1600+ (Cost us an extra $300 for top floor). Meanwhile my friends back in my home state are renting/buying entire houses for less than half what we pay a month.

Yeah this kills me as well. Our rent is way more than what we ever imagined for a small house ($1685/month, ~25% of income), and friends have mortgages for much nicer houses for almost $300 less. But we just got a roommate for 500-1000/month (he's working in the oil fields so may only need a place a couple weeks a month, so that's more bearable. We also have a whole house, huge yard, park right behind us, and a cool landlord so we're content. Someday we'll buy something.

Now I need you guys to talk me out of buying a pre-owned rogue gym setup for 2k*. We had the money earmarked for a vacation we now can't take, and my wife and roommate would really benefit most from it, but I have free Olympic-class facilities at university where I have to travel every day anyway, and the wife exercises at work most days but wants to lift more. :ohdear:

*full FTS cage, flooring, nice barbell, 330lbs in bumper plates, bands, chains, adjustable bench, other stuff. It's a sick deal.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

tuyop posted:

Yeah this kills me as well. Our rent is way more than what we ever imagined for a small house ($1685/month, ~25% of income), and friends have mortgages for much nicer houses for almost $300 less. But we just got a roommate for 500-1000/month (he's working in the oil fields so may only need a place a couple weeks a month, so that's more bearable. We also have a whole house, huge yard, park right behind us, and a cool landlord so we're content. Someday we'll buy something.

Now I need you guys to talk me out of buying a pre-owned rogue gym setup for 2k*. We had the money earmarked for a vacation we now can't take, and my wife and roommate would really benefit most from it, but I have free Olympic-class facilities at university where I have to travel every day anyway, and the wife exercises at work most days but wants to lift more. :ohdear:

*full FTS cage, flooring, nice barbell, 330lbs in bumper plates, bands, chains, adjustable bench, other stuff. It's a sick deal.

Chains are for the gym so you can walk around intimidating all the bros as Marley's Ghost. Can't do that at home can you Tuyop :colbert:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

Chains are for the gym so you can walk around intimidating all the bros as Marley's Ghost. Can't do that at home can you Tuyop :colbert:

I was going to use them to hold the lights in my BASIL room.

Edit: and the listing is gone. Oh well, no chains for me! :(

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

tuyop posted:

I was going to use them to hold the lights in my BASIL room.

Edit: and the listing is gone. Oh well, no chains for me! :(
Sounds like some expensive and high quality *BASIL*, do you do hydro, or soil;if soil, chem or organic?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

SiGmA_X posted:

Sounds like some expensive and high quality *BASIL*, do you do hydro, or soil;if soil, chem or organic?

Right now just one little seedling under a blue-tinted CFL in a seedling flat with potters mix. It's a sad BASIL.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Went wedding dress shopping today. Didn't buy a dress. Win?

My plan is to shop around and then buy a design I like off of Tradesy or PreOwnedWeddingDresses. Engagement ring was an heirloom necklace reset by a jeweler friend for just $200. Trying to keep the cost of this wedding under $10k!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Guys, there's something in my car. It's riding very low in the back. Something heavy.

What could it be? :ohdear:

Wait, no, that's not right.

Oh poo poo, no!

$1050 all in for rack, bench, Olympic BB, 405lbs in plates

Forgive me goons. :qq:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

SOoooooo you're canceling your gym memberships then? Ohh god you don't even have a squat cage Tuyop whhyyyy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

SOoooooo you're canceling your gym memberships then? Ohh god you don't even have a squat cage Tuyop whhyyyy.

Don't need no stinking cage. We ditch in this house. :colbert:

The ceiling is 75 inches, and the shortest cage we could find is 82. We have to do overhead work sitting down. And we don't have any gym memberships, but Toeshoes and I both have free gym access at our works that can't be opted out of. She just doesn't really get time to lift much and my roommate wants to start as well and has no experience or gym access. I'm personally going to enjoy not carting gym gear back and forth to school anymore and working out with my wife again.

Another concern is that the max I could deadlift was 485 last summer (before a herniated disc in my neck, and other spinal complications) but our current setup tops out at 450. So there may be some more 45s in our future. Dude sells them for $1/lb and has a garage loving full of them.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nice setup. I am at the Rockies game buying $10 beers woo (at least it is a 24 ounce)

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Spend a few bucks and wash yo car!

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

tuyop posted:

Forgive me goons. :qq:
Thought this was a slomo post, left disappointed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Juanito posted:

Spend a few bucks and wash yo car!

What a racket. poo poo just gets dirty again.

And the filth is hiding all the retarded cosmetic damage my wife has done.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

tuyop posted:

What a racket. poo poo just gets dirty again.

And the filth is hiding all the retarded cosmetic damage my wife has done.

I love that both of you are terrible with cars. Match made in heaven.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Quick tuyop, find some friends and charge them to use your weight set. While they're over upsell them some BASIL.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Almonds aren't very filling.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Almonds aren't very filling.

Just buy a bag of carrots. A carrot has like 36 calories. I bet you can only eat three raw. No dips.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Tuns our carrots are stupid easy to grow. Though they take for god drat ever.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I have a bag of carrots at home, I should have brought them to work.

should've would've could've

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I have a bag of carrots at home, I should have brought them to work.

should've would've could've

Call a taxi driver and see if he'll bring you carrots from the grocery store.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I don't think that would be cost effective.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I don't think that would be cost effective.

Well get like 20lbs so you've got carrots for weeks!

Folly
May 26, 2010

tuyop posted:

Well get like 20lbs so you've got carrots for weeks!

Protip: Raw carrots don't freeze well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Folly posted:

They last for many weeks though. People would eat that poo poo all winter.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Folly posted:

Interesting, I'd never considered freezing raw carrots. What happens? Are defrosted carrots like very old fresh carrots that get all limp and bendy?

Folly
May 26, 2010
They sorta turn to mush. You have to cook them a bit first.

I might have ruined 2 large bags of carrots by freezing them. That isn't sarcasm. I actually have no idea if I put them in the freezer or not.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
They seem to last a long time in the fridge though.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I've got an Alton Brown book where he says he keeps carrots in a tub of playground sand in the fridge. :wtc:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Got a 2% raise today. Not bad for 5 months of work.

Just gotta resist using it to justify more video game purchases...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Not a Children posted:

Got a 2% raise today. Not bad for 5 months of work.

Just gotta resist using it to justify more video game purchases...

Set up a payroll split so that 2% of your paycheck goes into a savings account! Use it to fund your IRA at the end of the year or something. Bump it up every time you get a raise so you don't buy more video games than you did in your humbler, -2% days.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

There is a boat thread in DIY that might have the answers for you
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503087

Oh man, I want a boat so bad.

I don't like having these five year plans of like: (a) teach on reserves in the North, (b) move back to rural NS to live in a yurt and teach, then (c) buy a boat and raise my future kid(s) sailing around the world teaching English in the darkest Orient if necessary.

I just want c! :qq:

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

tuyop posted:

Oh man, I want a boat so bad.

I don't like having these five year plans of like: (a) teach on reserves in the North, (b) move back to rural NS to live in a yurt and teach, then (c) buy a boat and raise my future kid(s) sailing around the world teaching English in the darkest Orient if necessary.

I just want c! :qq:
It's a neat idea, until you watch a movie like All Is Lost. Have you seen that?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Juanito posted:

It's a neat idea, until you watch a movie like All Is Lost. Have you seen that?

Yeah I felt so bad.

But, you know, there's a reason it wasn't a movie about a car accident where a whole family is killed by a drunk driver on their way to the grocery store or something. At least Redford's dude was being a loving badass when poo poo went down.

It's kind of similar to mountain climbers dying. Is it stupid? Yeah. But when is dying not stupid? When you played it safe for 80 years, securely nestled in the bosom of civilization totally dispossessed of your animal nature or convinced to surrender it for some gilded cage, neutered for all your days until you succumb to mechanical decay as the final logical reduction of Western Civilization? Eating, buying, sleeping, dead? Nah, that's the most stupid death of all.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Does the gilded cage have high speed internet?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I've turned on people in the GBS work crew to the best of BFCs and putting more money into roth iras and 401ks. I thought this was funny though.

SarutosZero posted:

Veskit I am having a hard time reading the Tuyop thread because he just keeps getting more depressing and delusional as it goes on.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I overslept and had to run out of the house to make it to work on time, and I think I'm going to have to eat out today. Will probably end up paying $8 for a lovely sandwich at the office cafeteria.

There goes a two-week streak.

Really should be making my lunches before I go to sleep.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Inverse Icarus posted:

I overslept and had to run out of the house to make it to work on time, and I think I'm going to have to eat out today. Will probably end up paying $8 for a lovely sandwich at the office cafeteria.

This, and having a stock of non-perishable food at work has saved me many times. I keep a ceramic bowl and just regular cans of soup for emergencies. Put the soup in the bowl, microwave.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Inverse Icarus posted:

Making lunches before you go to sleep is the key. Unfortunately I rarely follow this practice myself.

But I did manage to go from February 24th to April 16th without buying any food at work. Though I've definitely had a few mornings where I've been struggling to throw together a peanut butter sandwich before I run out the door. I budget $30 a month on "work food" (usually lunch), but I try not to hit that.

edit: What that guy above me said is good too, but I try to avoid sodium-heavy foods like cans of soup and frozen dinners. Definitely economical though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Making lunches before you go to sleep is the key. Unfortunately I rarely follow this practice myself.

But I did manage to go from February 24th to April 16th without buying any food at work. Though I've definitely had a few mornings where I've been struggling to throw together a peanut butter sandwich before I run out the door. I budget $30 a month on "work food" (usually lunch), but I try not to hit that.

edit: What that guy above me said is good too, but I try to avoid sodium-heavy foods like cans of soup and frozen dinners. Definitely economical though.
drat, almost 2mo, good work! I usually bring lunch to work, but bought lunch twice this week due to homework load / lack of planning ahead :( Why this is especially dumb? I have a handful of frozen vacuum sealed meals in my freezer. I keep forgetting to grab one and a larger Pyrex storage bowl to reheat it in!! FFS!