Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Syrg Sapphire posted:

It was pretty good, even if occasionally someone did cross the line into "oh no please stop talking" territory.

And when it comes to reality TV, this is hardly a nerd-only thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rarity posted:

And when it comes to reality TV, this is hardly a nerd-only thing.

Oh no please stop posting

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zaggitz posted:

It's just a version of the dude from No Country for Old Men dropped into the Fargo style world, stop over analyzing things.

Complete with the terrible taste in haircuts.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Occupation posted:

:ironicat:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Complete with the terrible taste in haircuts.

That toupee Billy Bob's sporting is so ridiculous

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I just saw a recent Big Bang Theory where Sheldon spends the entire episode trying to decide whether to get the Xbox One or the PS4. For a show about being nerdy, that decision really should have been an easy one. Instead, they just decided to tout product placement like they were only making this show for money.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ravane posted:

I just saw a recent Big Bang Theory where Sheldon spends the entire episode trying to decide whether to get the Xbox One or the PS4. For a show about being nerdy, that decision really should have been an easy one. Instead, they just decided to tout product placement like they were only making this show for money.

It devastated GBS, it tore Games in two, now making its big debut in TVIV iiiiiiiit's That Stupid Unfunny Colsole Warrior Circlejerk!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm not up on the console war this generation. Which system is better?

Ravane posted:

For a show about being nerdy, that decision really should have been an easy one.

Its not even a decision. Sheldon has tons of disposable income. He could have easily afforded both systems and whatever gadgets he needed to hook them both up to his television.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

No! Bad Irish Joe!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It devastated GBS, it tore Games in two, now making its big debut in TVIV iiiiiiiit's That Stupid Unfunny Colsole Warrior Circlejerk!

I said the decision should have been easy, but I didn't mention a console. Not really a circlejerk. I don't even play video games. I watch people play. It's much sadder.

Irish Joe posted:

Its not even a decision. Sheldon has tons of disposable income. He could have easily afforded both systems and whatever gadgets he needed to hook them both up to his television.

I agree, the guy's rich. They introduced that idea, but then Sheldon had to consider buying a bigger tv for some reason, if he got two consoles.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ravane posted:

I said the decision should have been easy, but I didn't mention a console. Not really a circlejerk. I don't even play video games. I watch people play. It's much sadder.

Really though: please stop posting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Occupation posted:

Really though: please stop posting.

You first.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ravane posted:

No of course not, they make BBT out of love, not for money, how could you think that?

That episode did suck though.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I have never watched Big Bang Theory. Does it get the incredibly clumsy Microsoft Surface product placement like Elementary and so many other CBS shows? A recent NCIS had like a minute long scene of the autopsy guy standing over a corpse using the Surface to upload something to OneDrive.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

grrarg posted:

I have never watched Big Bang Theory. Does it get the incredibly clumsy Microsoft Surface product placement like Elementary and so many other CBS shows? A recent NCIS had like a minute long scene of the autopsy guy standing over a corpse using the Surface to upload something to OneDrive.

It was pretty even-handed; Sheldon can't decide which new console to get, spends the whole episode agonizing over which one to get, then at the end doesn't buy either. It's like the most reasonable piece of product placement on the planet, having two fake consoles would be dumb and distracting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DExSQW2prGg

A character who is written to be an unlikable sperglord was more reasonable about the new consoles in the end than most Games goons.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It was pretty even-handed; Sheldon can't decide which new console to get, spends the whole episode agonizing over which one to get, then at the end doesn't buy either. It's like the most reasonable piece of product placement on the planet, having two fake consoles would be dumb and distracting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DExSQW2prGg

A character who is written to be an unlikable sperglord was more reasonable about the new consoles in the end than most Games goons.

It's reasonable if you know nothing about the subject, which is most of BBT's audience so sure why not? Nerdlords will correctly think that subplot was ridiculous, but only because they probably know something about the subject.

Then again, Sheldon has a loving alienware laptop so he knows nothing about gaming. :ssj:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
dont know what youre talking about

the xboxone and ps4 are perfect substitutes, just BING it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

dont know what youre talking about

the xboxone and ps4 are perfect substitutes, just BING it.

Hold on just let me boot up my WINDOWS 8 SURFACE PRO TABLET! /cbs

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

IRQ posted:

More like 'Hold on let me walk to the other side of the room where the other half of my Surface Pro™ is sitting for some reason.'

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Everyone on NBC I watch has the same big colorful phone (moto X?). They never address it or mention the brand name, kind of a funny way to do product placement.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

IRQ posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsiXfW75598#t=21

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Wii U

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Kindle Keyboard supremacy. gently caress your non-keyboard contard bricks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Kindle Keyboard supremacy. gently caress your non-keyboard contard bricks.

My Kindle Keyboard broke a month ago, it sucked, I loved that thing. :(

I bought the new non-keyboard one with ads then disabled the ads immediately and it's a lot smaller and better and only cost like $50 bucks which isn't so bad. In other words read a book you tv nerds, now if you'll excuse me I have hell's kitchen recorded.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

How the gently caress haven't I watched Rick & Morty until today? Finally another cartoon that's funny besides Archer.

Lol at this guy, a person who thought Archer was the only funny cartoon, or was even close to the top of the very long list

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

My Kindle Keyboard broke a month ago, it sucked, I loved that thing. :(

I bought the new non-keyboard one with ads then disabled the ads immediately and it's a lot smaller and better and only cost like $50 bucks which isn't so bad. In other words read a book you tv nerds, now if you'll excuse me I have hell's kitchen recorded.

I bought a Paperwhite around Christmas and its really good. The light thing is super useful.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Huh let me think for a minute, Venture Bros, Superjail, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Bob's Burgers, Sealab, Beavis and Butthead, King of the Hill, Clone High, Aqua Teen, Squidbillies, The Simpsons, Futurama, South Park, holy poo poo that's all off the top of my head!!!

Edit: and Archer sucks really bad these days, like terrible. Just garbage

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fooz posted:

Everyone on NBC I watch has the same big colorful phone (moto X?). They never address it or mention the brand name, kind of a funny way to do product placement.

It depends and sometimes varies in show. There's an episode of Community where all the main characters had Verizon HTC phones (a couple of them had the Incredible 2) which was actually kinda out of character for Jeff, whose attachment to his Blackberry was an aspect of the character. But on the Moo Moo Beanz episode they all had different phones; if I had to guess, I'd say the actors just used their own phones for the episode.

In Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Sam Jackson had an HTC One and Robert Redford had a Nexus 5, both phones I think they own IRL.

Then there's a show like Arrow, where they're very obviously getting paid poo poo tons of money for placement (Felicity's Lenovo computers and her Surface Pro tablet) but only one character has a Windows Phone (Roy) and the rest of them have generic Android devices (Galaxy S 2s, I think).

...Recognizing gadgets is kinda my thing, okay? :spergin:

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 19, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Why in gods name do you know what type of cell phone various celebrities own?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PittTheElder posted:

Why in gods name do you know what type of cell phone various celebrities own?

It's not something I do on purpose. I see a photo of a celebrity and my device recognition skills kick in. It's actually a kinda fun parlor trick.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

A commercial for this popped up during Kitchen Nightmares tonight.

http://www.eonline.com/news/532830/...-it-s-hilarious

If Fox is trying to rekindle Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire, nearly 15 years old at this point, that really says something.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

IRQ posted:

It's reasonable if you know nothing about the subject, which is most of BBT's audience so sure why not? Nerdlords will correctly think that subplot was ridiculous, but only because they probably know something about the subject.
I'm with Irish Joe, I'm curious: did one of the systems win the war? Was one system clearly better? Please no one start debating it or giving your own spin, just wondering what the "consensus" was. I know nothing about it and don't know what was ridiculous.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well the "war" has only begun but so far the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One. It's also $100 cheaper so it's not a surprise to anyone.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

PS4 has sold like 7 million, Xbox one has sold like 4 million. PS4 has better hardware. I think there's more wind in sony's sails.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Well the "war" has only begun but so far the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One. It's also $100 cheaper so it's not a surprise to anyone.

Also it seems that the PS4 is slightly more powerful and devs have said it is easier to work with.

Anyway, in actual TV related discussion, I forgot to record last week's Hannibal so I'm catching up with it On Demand. One thing I've noticed is that NBC's On Demand is so much better than Fox's. Fox's makes you sit through full commercial breaks while NBC just puts one commercial a couple of times.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this? posted:

I bought a Paperwhite around Christmas and its really good. The light thing is super useful.

I considered one, but when I saw that one doesn't have physical page turn buttons I was like nope. The light would be nice, but instead I bought a lamp at Target for 9 bucks. I really like the page turn buttons over touch turning.

Fast Luck posted:

I'm with Irish Joe, I'm curious: did one of the systems win the war? Was one system clearly better? Please no one start debating it or giving your own spin, just wondering what the "consensus" was. I know nothing about it and don't know what was ridiculous.

Disclaimer: I do not own either and have no plans to buy one, because there are no games out or planned on either that are exclusive or better than on PC.

PS4 is objectively better on hardware and price, and has sold accordingly. XBone sales have been horrid comparatively, but in fairness Titanfall (multiplayer only COD with bad mechs) was the top selling game last month. But also in fairness neither console has much worth buying them for. It is a strange generation.

e: also Sony has been much nicer to and has actively courted indie devs in recent years.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 19, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm in the tank for Sony so feel free to take my words with a grain of salt, but at the moment XBox One looks like Billy Batts after he told Tommy DeVito to go get his shinebox. We'll see how it starts looking once XB1 drops its price -- I suspect this'll be announced at E3 -- but I doubt Microsoft is happy right now.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
Parenthood I'm on to you. You give us 21 episodes of absolute misery just so we feel elated over any amount of hapiness you give the characters in the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Did anyone buy the Wii U?

• Locked thread