Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I carry a Swiss Army knife at all times
The scissors and bottle opener get used more days than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

10 Beers posted:

Goddamn bourbon and autocorrect strikes again.

FTFY

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Gorilla Salad posted:

I haven't seen one of those old fashioned bottle caps in years. I didn't even know they still made them.

You guys really need to tell your beer makers to switch to these:

I do love those bottle caps and that ginger beer. Goes really well with bulleit rye.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Negromancer posted:

I do love those bottle caps and that ginger beer. Goes really well with bulleit rye.

The ginger beer is amazing but what the hell is wrong with their root beer? It's vile.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Drink and Fight posted:

The ginger beer is amazing but what the hell is wrong with their root beer? It's vile.

Cause it's root beer. ;)

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I open my beer with a BIC. The real trick to getting your beer open is to have a hard point to leverage the cap against, like the knuckle of your finger. With that, you could probably open your beer with your dick so long as your member could handle the pressure.

It's a great party trick.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

A White Guy posted:

I open my beer with a BIC. The real trick to getting your beer open is to have a hard point to leverage the cap against, like the knuckle of your finger. With that, you could probably open your beer with your dick so long as your member could handle the pressure.

It's a great party trick.
Once you get the hang of it, you can open a bottle with practically anything

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
I was up very early this morning studying. At around 5 a.m. I heard someone mowing. Was I hallucinating because I kept nearly nodding off? No, it was clearly a lawnmower. I like to think that it was some care-free dude who got hammered and said, "gently caress it, you know what I need to do before I pass out for the day? Mow." [Insert something about Hank Hill here.]

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

whatshesaid posted:

I was up very early this morning studying. At around 5 a.m. I heard someone mowing. Was I hallucinating because I kept nearly nodding off? No, it was clearly a lawnmower. I like to think that it was some care-free dude who got hammered and said, "gently caress it, you know what I need to do before I pass out for the day? Mow." [Insert something about Hank Hill here.]

This sounds like my neighbor on the floor above me, gets drunk on the weekend and vacuums at 3am.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I loving LOVE doing chores when I'm shitfaced. I've cleaned other people's houses and cooked legit meals from unfamiliar stuff I didn't know how to prepare while drunk. Some people are only good at pool or darts when drunk; I'm good at everything.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
I am very clearly not great at everything after about 8 drinks. :razz:

Seriously, who among us hasn't needed some liquid motivation to do chores from time to time? No one. That's right.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:350: + Music = Chores gettin done.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

whatshesaid posted:

Seriously, who among us hasn't needed some liquid motivation to do chores from time to time? No one. That's right.

Arrath posted:

:350: + Music = Chores gettin done.

Pretty much.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I carry a widgy bar in my pocket at all times. It can open bottles and many other things.

(GIS pic)

The number of people who don't have a pocket knife and need to borrow mine still mystifies me. It's not that hard to put a Victorinox Classic onto your key ring or something. I also started carrying a small flashlight about a year ago and it comes in handy several times a day.

Wallet, watch, widgy bar, Leatherman, pocket knife, lighter, flashlight, flash drive, pen. The number of times this loadout has saved me from having to walk all the way across the room to get a tool is astounding.

No cell phone?

I used to carry a ton of poo poo around with me and unapolagetically looked like a giant nerd. Now I pretty much just have my keys, phone, wallet, and a folding utility knife. Phone doubles as a flashlight, flash drive, and watch... I do wonder where the hell my Leatherman went though.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I own one so I can have a phone in the car for emergencies, but I have no reason to carry it around because I don't have friends and have never received an incoming call. Even if I started carrying it, not being able to look at my wrist for the time would drive me insane.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

drat, dude, PM me your number and I will call you and be your friend

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

An old roommate of mine used to drop e then clean the ENTIRE house, top to bottom. I miss that guy :(

On a different note, I was hungover as gently caress this morning and I didn't even drink that much last night. Getting old :( I did get to eat two fried chicken sandwiches and work from home though.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Bachelor Cooking

Minced beef (lean), mozzeralla cheese, batter mix:

Deep fry for 8-10 mins:

I am saving up for bypass surgery now:

Seriously, this was a codeine induced brainstorm that ended up tasting like God's Testicles. It was phenomenal.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Drink and Fight posted:

An old roommate of mine used to drop e then clean the ENTIRE house, top to bottom. I miss that guy :(

Was that in Dallas? I used to do that and would even get roommates to buy my E. Only time in my life I can remember cleaning a ceiling fan.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

dpack_1 posted:

Bachelor Cooking

Minced beef (lean), mozzeralla cheese, batter mix:

Deep fry for 8-10 mins:

I am saving up for bypass surgery now:

Seriously, this was a codeine induced brainstorm that ended up tasting like God's Testicles. It was phenomenal.

My favorite BBQ place B.T.'s Smokehouse makes something similar called Cheesy Bawlz. Pulled pork and cheddar cheese deep-fried in batter and covered with more melted cheese. loving amazing.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

JEEVES420 posted:

Was that in Dallas? I used to do that and would even get roommates to buy my E. Only time in my life I can remember cleaning a ceiling fan.

Nah, San Francisco.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007

Drink and Fight posted:

On a different note, I was hungover as gently caress this morning and I didn't even drink that much last night. Getting old :( I did get to eat two fried chicken sandwiches and work from home though.

We're all seasoned drinkers in here. Pro-tip: go to your nearest vitamin shop and get milk thistle extract tabs. I'm pretty anti-herbal poo poo and all things woo woo..like, that poo poo makes me really angry...but milk thistle is cool. It helps liver regeneration in some populations. Results on alcohol-related hepatic damage are unclear, but there are virtually no side effects, so get some! You're likely doing your good organ friend, your liver, a favor.
And when you wake up hungover, make sure you get some salt with all that water you know you're supposed to drink. Sometimes I'll put a little bit of salt in a glass of water if I don't feel like eating.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

whatshesaid posted:

And when you wake up hungover, make sure you get some salt with all that water you know you're supposed to drink. Sometimes I'll put a little bit of salt in a glass of water if I don't feel like eating.

I swear this is why god invented chips (fries for you yanks but specifically double fried big chunky ones). Grease'n'salt plus a litre of water. Sort you right out.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

whatshesaid posted:

We're all seasoned drinkers in here. Pro-tip: go to your nearest vitamin shop and get milk thistle extract tabs. I'm pretty anti-herbal poo poo and all things woo woo..like, that poo poo makes me really angry...but milk thistle is cool. It helps liver regeneration in some populations. Results on alcohol-related hepatic damage are unclear, but there are virtually no side effects, so get some! You're likely doing your good organ friend, your liver, a favor.
The SA Mart thread is gone, but there used to be a goon discount on Sobur (dihydromyrecitin,) which has a higher action potential at GABA receptors than alcohol and blocks the effects of alcohol. It kept me standing and reduced what should have been a crippling hangover to a mild unpleasantness after a craft beer bar tour of Manhattan for a friend's bachelor party (my brother passed out across 5 seats on the train and one of friends needed me to text his ride for him,) I was awake, alert, and bored as poo poo because everyone around me was passed out.
http://www.sobur.co/ or buy it in bulk.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
Wow. I've never heard of that, and I've worked with a lot of drug addicts/alcoholics... a quick Google search tells me that it is relatively unknown and has not undergone clinical trials with humans but that it may be effective in preventing acute intoxication/hangovers. I know what disulfiram (Antabuse) does and why it's given, but if you're gonna drink, why take something to block its effects? Interesting poo poo.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Because it blocks alcohol from acting in the brain, it's a candidate for further study as a drug to treat alcoholism. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it ends up prescription-only in the US because it actually does sober you up to some degree and inevitably some genius is going to take advantage of that to drive with a BAC well over the legal limit and hurt or kill someone.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

Because it blocks alcohol from acting in the brain, it's a candidate for further study as a drug to treat alcoholism. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it ends up prescription-only in the US because it actually does sober you up to some degree and inevitably some genius is going to take advantage of that to drive with a BAC well over the legal limit and hurt or kill someone.

Taking bets! All bets being Taken! My money is on it happening in Florida.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

Taking bets! All bets being Taken! My money is on it happening in Florida.

I vote great plains/ great nowhere. Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, something like that.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

whatshesaid posted:

Wow. I've never heard of that, and I've worked with a lot of drug addicts/alcoholics... a quick Google search tells me that it is relatively unknown and has not undergone clinical trials with humans but that it may be effective in preventing acute intoxication/hangovers. I know what disulfiram (Antabuse) does and why it's given, but if you're gonna drink, why take something to block its effects? Interesting poo poo.
My first thought was that if it's any good, it'll immediately be coopted for benzo/alcohol overdoses like naloxone and opioids and will have a ton of research and experience supporting it in no time at all, unless I've misread what this thing does.

GWBBQ posted:

Really the other way around, someone perfectly sober (thanks to this drug) will have a high BAC and get pulled over for some random bullshit and have their life ruined thanks to MADD. You can already "drive with a BAC well over the legal limit and hurt or kill someone" by just, you know, drinking then driving :eng101:

edit: unless that's what you were saying - get into a perfectly legitimate accident and get hosed because people think you were drunk

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Holy hell if that stuff is real I'm spending a month's salary on that when it comes back in stock.

I was happily frying up some potatoes for breakfast until I remembered my dance moves last night and I actually cursed out loud. I was so absolutely shitfaced.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Sobur is awesome, I didn't get a single hangover while they lasted.

My bachelor tip is: take antidepressants, enjoy getting shitfaced for a lot less. No hangovers because you didn't really drink that much alcohol.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Straker posted:

Really the other way around, someone perfectly sober (thanks to this drug) will have a high BAC and get pulled over for some random bullshit and have their life ruined thanks to MADD. You can already "drive with a BAC well over the legal limit and hurt or kill someone" by just, you know, drinking then driving :eng101:

edit: unless that's what you were saying - get into a perfectly legitimate accident and get hosed because people think you were drunk

This already happens with Tolerances. Someone with a high tolerance can have a BAC over the limit and feel/act perfectly sober.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I vote great plains/ great nowhere. Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, something like that.

What's the spread look like for Chattanooga, Tennessee? I'll put 5 on Chattanooga, 8 on Newark NJ and 6 on Mobile, Alabama.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007

gmq posted:

My bachelor tip is: take antidepressants, enjoy getting shitfaced for a lot less. No hangovers because you didn't really drink that much alcohol.

Depending on what you take, you really gotta be careful with that poo poo. SSRIs are generally safe in combination with alcohol, despite the warnings to not drink at all. Mileage may vary on change of alcohol's effects. If you become excessively drowsy or if your respiratory rate slows down, stop drinking.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

JEEVES420 posted:

This already happens with Tolerances. Someone with a high tolerance can have a BAC over the limit and feel/act perfectly sober.
Right, but it's hard to explain that to cops, I mean poo poo there isn't even any good answer to "have you been drinking tonight?" and somehow I imagine "I drank a fair amount but it's cool, I'm used to drinking a lot" would improve the situation :v:

And as much as I'd love it if all the MADD bullshit and constitutional amendments were repealed (no, I don't have any DUIs) and DUIs actually required visible impairment and nobody cared about BACs, really, giving cops more discretion and autonomy (in general) isn't necessarily a good idea either. What I kind of don't get is why DUIs can't be dealt with with, you know, the entirety of the rest of traffic law - if an accident is your fault it's your fault whether or not you're sober, reckless driving is reckless driving, and if you do something particularly stupid and people die then it's still manslaughter at best. I'd like to assume that specific penalties for DUI were intended as some kind of societal "hey guys don't drink you might do something stupid and gently caress up your life by murdering an entire family" disincentive but then it is incredibly loving ironic to go and preemptively ruin people's lives over it.

Anyway, I was worried that last post I made would get me dogpiled for seemingly encouraging drunk driving or something (which I wasn't, of course). I don't see how that drug could ever be trusted in that kind of scenario, it would be like trying to sober yourself up by doing a couple lines or something, even if it's awesome in a medical scenario or once you're home and done drinking for the night. thanks for not being lovely posters in this thread :patriot:

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
I drove under the influence when I was 22, 23. I grew the gently caress up after that. Thankfully I never got pulled over. gently caress people who get DUIs. If you know you're going to be drinking, plan to crash at X destination or arrange for a cab. It's not hard to use your adult brain and figure these things out. When I drink, I stay put unless I have a ride. Period.
I agree that 0.08 may be a bit low for us seasoned drinkers, and I am as safe a driver when buzzed as when sober, but a first-time drinker at .08 is most likely a danger on the road. Not arguing for or against the legal limit; I'm just saying, you know it's there, don't be a dumbass. And if you are a dumbass, you get what you deserve.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
When I was in the military, I had a deeply religious supervisor and his 11ish year old daughter was deeply concerned about his other troop and I dying in a drinking and driving accident. It wasn't an "if" it happens it was a when.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
BAC is easily quantifiable so it's used. Works well enough, too, since 0.08 will hit most people. Need to remember that objectivity makes it easier to enforce which is a great thing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

whatshesaid posted:

I drove under the influence when I was 22, 23. I grew the gently caress up after that. Thankfully I never got pulled over. gently caress people who get DUIs. If you know you're going to be drinking, plan to crash at X destination or arrange for a cab. It's not hard to use your adult brain and figure these things out. When I drink, I stay put unless I have a ride. Period.

BUT MY MAN CARD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I typically get home on a bicycle. The cops camp outside of bars and try to hit everyone trying to walk home with public intoxication, but there's no way those tubby bastards are going to be able to pursue a BMX.

• Locked thread