Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
I'm watching majestic prince instead of whatever is coming out now and it is pretty good! The fights are very very nice looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Most of the good shows have their own threads already. That leaves bitching about all of the garbage.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't emphasize enough how much of a Big Deal actually having new Mushishi is to me. Like, I'd take an entire year of bad/mediocre shows if it meant more Mushishi.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Nate RFB posted:

I can't emphasize enough how much of a Big Deal actually having new Mushishi is to me. Like, I'd take an entire year of bad/mediocre shows if it meant more Mushishi.

Did anyone mention that it's a split-cour deal and that there's going to be one final batch of Mushishi episodes in the fall yet?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gobbledygoat posted:

I'm watching majestic prince instead of whatever is coming out now and it is pretty good! The fights are very very nice looking.

I'm always amused that that started out in the same season as Gargantia and Valvrave and ended up being by far the better mecha show.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I'm enjoying this season way more than Winter

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm always amused that that started out in the same season as Gargantia and Valvrave and ended up being by far the better mecha show.

It's the weirdest thing. Gargantia had Urobuchi behind it and Valvrave had Sunrise so they had the highest expectations. MJP was prtty much the dark horse mecha series destined to come out no more than bland and forgettable. And then the season started.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's a big deal to me that they still make anime and I'll continue absorbing all of it no matter how bad it gets.

Except paedophile stuff and baseball anims. Don't want to deal with either of those things.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
This season we have new Mushishi, new Jojo's, a new Yuasa anime, and a new Bones mecha show by the guy who wrote Utena. And that's on top of a handful of reasonably watchable popcorn-muncher material.

Someone explain to me how this isn't like an objectively good season of anime.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

Except paedophile stuff and baseball anims.

Oofuri is awesome :colbert:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Honestly the fact there is both JoJo and Mushishi this season makes it pretty good by default.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Redcrimson posted:

This season we have new Mushishi, new Jojo's, a new Yuasa anime, and a new Bones mecha show by the guy who wrote Utena. And that's on top of a handful of reasonably watchable popcorn-muncher material.

It's all perspective. I mostly watch comedies, romantic comedies, and light action shows, which means Winter was great for me and no one else while this season is "eh".

Even I have Jojo, Coffin Princess, and maybe one or three other shows if they pan out (Three episode test on The World is Beautiful, Nanananananana, and Mekkaku City Actors) so I'm not dying, just mildly disappointed.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

For comedy this season I'm putting Kawaisou at the top, have you given that an ep?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

boredsatellite posted:

For comedy this season I'm putting Kawaisou at the top, have you given that an ep?

I watched the first two episodes. It's okay, but not clicking with me at all. I didn't get past five episodes of Nisekoi and I liked that one more initially then I did Kawaisou.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont know why but I find hilarious the fact that both the titular character/protagonist and the male protagonist leads sister are both mentally retarded and can communicate with each other the way they do.

Sister- "Chaika?"
Chaika- "Yes. Chaika."
Sister- "Chaika."

This is after both of them had already known each other for a day.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Redcrimson posted:

I think it's more that people watch a ton of things, realize they're overall not having a good time, and respond accordingly. When really, the proper approach would be to be much more selective about what you watch. If you only watch things you find pretty enjoyable and realize that 95% of all things are poo poo, especially anime, you can get far. I mean, 95% of all western animation sucks too, it's just that there's often an awful less shows made due to the focus on long term syndication. There's many many short lived US Television shows that last all of like three episodes before dying, or have a pilot ep that no network buys into (poo poo, Adventure Time had a good like three-ish years between its pilot ep and CN actually putting the series up).

Focusing exclusively on any one type of media is also kind of a poor decision, even if you enjoy anime / manga a whole lot. Watch movies, watch western TV / animation, read a book. READ A BOOK.

Here's the shows I am personally watching, and why. You may enjoy these things, you may not:

1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - An incredibly faithful adaptation of a genre defining manga. If you like overblown / goofy shounen-style action, you may enjoy this. If you enjoyed the first two cours of the show, you'll DEFINITELY enjoy this, as it's been turned up a notch production-wise. If you're looking for something super serious or dramatic, probably won't be your thing. I find it's an anime best enjoyed with other people, so if you've got similar-minded friends give it a watch with them. I enjoy watching it with my pal HulkaMatt.

2. Ping Pong the Animation - An incredibly interesting adaptation of an award-winning manga. It's directed by Masaaki Yuasa and has a very unique art style (based on both the manga and Yuasa's own stylings). It's definitely something that you will appreciate more if you appreciate unconventional animation, as it's definitely different in terms of style, characters, and overall narrative. It's so drat fascinating all around, and it's the show I find myself rewatching the most. The subject matter is immaterial to any interest.

3. Mushi-Shi S2 - Very well written atmospheric anime based on an award-winning manga. If you like eerie self-contained episodes that explore the supernatural and life, you may like this show! I hate to use it as a description, but the show really is "chill", even when its at its most dramatic and melancholic.

4. Captain Earth - This one I'm not quite sure about yet; the staff involved are interesting and competent, and it certainly has a lot of polish, but it's ultimately going to come down to how well the currently very-vague narrative pans out. It's not had a supremely strong start, but it's not had a bad start either... The amount of imagery and symbolism it uses is kind of interesting, though so much of it is completely in your face that you can't help roll your eyes at how 50% of everything in the show is a metaphor for puberty. The ending theme literally opens with shows of a flower's stamen for gently caress sake. Still, the mecha action looks nice and it may be pretty good all in all, whooo knows. It's a slow burn. I'm sticking with it mostly because it's entertaining to watch production-value / in terms of the overt symbolism, even if it hasn't completely caught me with its plot yet. I could very easily see me dropping this if stuff doesn't happen though.

5. Marvel Disk Wars - If you like Marvel you will both hate and love this, because it's so loving lovely that it passes into incredible. The lack of money or staff they apparently set aside for it makes it brilliant. This is another one that is great to watch with other people, particularly if you have friends who enjoy Marvel things (the films, the comics, whatever) and may not be that much of an anime type. There is something incredibly hysterical about the Avengers film being turned into Digimon. I've basically just started streaming it for the sheer enjoyment of people collectively losing it at how stupid it all is.

And always, if you're not finding anything you like really do give the ADTRWiki a go. While there's a ton of lovely anime producers every season, there's a TON of good stuff that wraps up, meaning there's a huge backlog of older gems that you may not even have heard of! Here's a random recommendation from the 1970s.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 19, 2014

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Zorak posted:

Focusing exclusively on any one type of media is also kind of a poor decision, even if you enjoy anime / manga a whole lot. Watch movies, watch western TV / animation, read a book. READ A BOOK.

Does reading a book about the history of anime count?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

If you generally like comedies and haven't done so, check out some of the SPORTS!! animes. They are basically just... well for the most part they are comedies, but with sports. I don't know. I typically prefer slow, slice of life type stuff, but everything in that OP is pretty great.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just watch what you like, dorks, and don't check for validation amongst goons.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Chaika really puts me in the mind of Pumpkin Scissors but fantasy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched the first two episodes of Chaika tonight; the action was entertaining but the rest was fairly blah. I'm not planning to follow as it airs but might marathon it once it's all out.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
I really like feel of the combat in Chaika. There's that big guy with the 2-handed sword in episode 2 who actually kicked when his sword attacks weren't working, and followed up with using his size and strength advantage over the MC to grab him and toss him into the railing. People rely too much on their primary weapons in anime. Also, his sword attacks felt nice and weighty. They start slow, then when the swings go towards roughly where they are supposed to hit his target, more force gets put into it and it speeds the hell up.

Then there's the MC with his ninja wires. Grabbing pieces of the scenery to throw at his targets, tripping people and pouncing on them immediately, it all makes for very dynamic fighting. Again, characters in anime tend to rely too much on the "wail on enemy with weapon till he goes down" tactic so seeing the MC do all these tricks makes me very happy.

Also, a rare case of anime magic attacks not being a non-lethal explosion that just bruises the target and knocks him out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Damegane posted:

I really like feel of the combat in Chaika. There's that big guy with the 2-handed sword in episode 2 who actually kicked when his sword attacks weren't working, and followed up with using his size and strength advantage over the MC to grab him and toss him into the railing. People rely too much on their primary weapons in anime. Also, his sword attacks felt nice and weighty. They start slow, then when the swings go towards roughly where they are supposed to hit his target, more force gets put into it and it speeds the hell up.

Then there's the MC with his ninja wires. Grabbing pieces of the scenery to throw at his targets, tripping people and pouncing on them immediately, it all makes for very dynamic fighting. Again, characters in anime tend to rely too much on the "wail on enemy with weapon till he goes down" tactic so seeing the MC do all these tricks makes me very happy.

Also, a rare case of anime magic attacks not being a non-lethal explosion that just bruises the target and knocks him out.

I think my favourite bit was when our male lead gave his enemy the fragile, heavy, and all-important macguffin in the middle of the fight to distract him. And it worked.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's the kind of wacky action direction you get from watching old Jackie Chan movies.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Damegane posted:

Or put simply, it's really well choreographed and animated.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

kater posted:

If you generally like comedies and haven't done so, check out some of the SPORTS!! animes. They are basically just... well for the most part they are comedies, but with sports. I don't know. I typically prefer slow, slice of life type stuff, but everything in that OP is pretty great.

Sports animes own and more people should check them out, there are a lot of promising ones airing right now. Even if you don't like sports you should still check some out!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I somewhat enjoyed the first episode of flag show. There was nothing good about the second. Dropped like a phat beat.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Sooo... does anyone understand what's going on in Mekaku City Actors at all? I'm starting to think it's just Shinbo's playhouse.

e:

Wikipedia posted:

The Kagerou Project (カゲロウプロジェクト Kagerō Purojekuto?, lit. "Heat Haze Project"), also known as "Kagerou Daze" (カゲロウデイズ?, lit. "Heat Haze Daze"),[1] is a Vocaloid song series created by Jin (also known as Shizen no Teki-P). The story revolves around the Mekakushi Dan, a group of teenagers with unusual eye-related powers.

It sounds like it's an LN series with a series of Vocaloid songs made in conjunction.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 19, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Sooo... does anyone understand what's going on in Mekaku City Actors at all? I'm starting to think it's just Shinbo's playhouse.

Not really, no. The second episode didn't quite hook me like the first did, but I'm hoping for the next to make up for that and tie things a bit together.
I think it's supposed to be based on some vocaloid video or something?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Something like that. I haven't watched the second episode yet, but I'd watch a show that was basically just the first half of the first episode. A season of Nyarlkotron trolling her hikikkomori owner nonstop.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ViggyNash posted:

Well that sure was a pretty depressing episode, here have the extended original version of the song featured in this episode!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk-wPp9Ru3I
Second half is spoilers on stuff we haven't covered in the anime yet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone up for making a Chaika thread? The buzz so far seems to be positive and the discussion lively enough to warrant it.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I guess I need IQ supplements to understand Mekaku City Actors.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

darkgray posted:

I don't understand this sentiment, I thought the episode was very straightforward. Girl gets offered to become an idol and she does and now she finds out that its just made her life a lot harder. Cue the catchy Vocaloid song during the chase scene, end of episode.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Anyone up for making a Chaika thread? The buzz so far seems to be positive and the discussion lively enough to warrant it.

Sure, I'll put something up later tonight or tomorrow night.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Watched Mahouka ep 3. It's a really amazing show. It has so many things that could be so interesting, yet still managed to be incredibly dull. I stuck around after ep 1 and 2 because I thought it seemed things could be interesting, but it manages to just not make it. Is it the source material that's so bad, or is it more due to an incompetent director?
Also, that episode features the sister character stripping to underwear for the MC to do some magic calibration stuff, and when he fails to emote sufficiently she seems to more or less kill him and he instantly revives having forgotten what happened. No, Japan. You could most likely have done without that.

Too little and too much. Dropped.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

darkgray posted:

Actually the opposite.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

nielsm posted:

Watched Mahouka ep 3. It's a really amazing show. It has so many things that could be so interesting, yet still managed to be incredibly dull. I stuck around after ep 1 and 2 because I thought it seemed things could be interesting, but it manages to just not make it. Is it the source material that's so bad, or is it more due to an incompetent director?
Also, that episode features the sister character stripping to underwear for the MC to do some magic calibration stuff, and when he fails to emote sufficiently she seems to more or less kill him and he instantly revives having forgotten what happened. No, Japan. You could most likely have done without that.

Too little and too much. Dropped.

Mahouka has good staff, the source material is just that bad. And yeah the whole passive regenerate-from-anything is just another one of his billions of different magic powers.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

nielsm posted:

and when he fails to emote sufficiently she seems to more or less kill him and he instantly revives having forgotten what happened. No, Japan. You could most likely have done without that.
Haha, that was exactly how I interpreted the scene at first, which confused me because I'm pretty sure I would have remembered that from the LN. What actually happened was she did the same thing to him he did to Hanzo, so he was just knocked out. But any debilitating injury triggers his "restore from backup," so he was only out for a second instead of a minute. He also knows what happened and was being sarcastic afterwards. So yeah, the other problem is that the LN (in addition to being hilariously bad) does a lot of telling not showing (like pretty much every time magic is used, ever) and the adaptation is failing to convey a lot of information at all.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Remind me again, why did this franchise make a ridiculous amount of money in the first place?

• Locked thread