Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Prediction for Luann:
the traffic delay is caused by a horrific accident that the kids will see up close, making them stop and think about their own mortality. Luann and Australia-man will realize life is short and precious, so they will passionately finger and gently caress each other in the nearest gas station's bathroom and say their tearful goodbyes to go look for relationships in their respective countries. Quill realizes later that he is gay and having a long distance relationship with a woman was his way of trying to deny his true sexual identity.They will remain close friends and often share their interesting travels and experiences through regular hand written letters.

Milquetoast and Rosa will see the accident as a wake-up call to settle down before it's too late, as they are both desperately lonely. They will have boring and awkward missionary sex in the limo while the driver watches and pleasures himself. Rosa will get pregnant and choose to keep the child, sealing the marriage in stone. Gunther will get a factory job to pay the bills and Rosa will work part-time once the child is off at public school. They will be loving parents and reasonably happy lovers and will end up falling in with solid friends from work.

Bernice and Delta will bond over feeding the needy family and then have a magical evening at prom. As they slow-dance cheek to cheek, they will both blush when they realize their attraction to each other. They will date and experiment until heading off to good colleges and getting degrees. They will lose touch for years, though each fondly remembering their summer of sexual awakening . A chance reuniting at an airport will see them married, successful and happy.

Tiffany will finish high school, and find friends that don't poo poo on her constantly and continue to grow as a person. She will delay college to enter the marines where she will excel in Special Forces and Linguistics, and become a war hero when saving the lives of thirty fellow soldiers through bravery and action above and beyond the call of duty during the police action in Turkmenistan. When aliens begin a shadow war to overthrow the world government, Tiffany will get an offer to join a multi-national anti-alien task force named X-Com. After many missions she will make the ultimate sacrifice and save mankind through her selfless death that will put an end to the alien menace. She will die with the knowledge that her life achieved true greatness.

One can dream.

E: Brad will die while fighting a wildfire, which will be for the best, as his liver would have soon developed cirrhosis on account of rampant alcoholism.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

FunkyAl posted:

Man I really hope...what Gunther thinks is water is actually vodka and he gets Rosa teen pregnant

Then she could stay with Gunther and wouldn't have to go to Yale! :suicide:

Juliet Jones

Not that freezing to death has anything to do with viri, Steve. At least put on a sweater.

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

Prediction for Luann:
the traffic delay is caused by a horrific accident that the kids will see up close, making them stop and think about their own mortality. Luann and Australia-man will realize life is short and precious, so they will passionately finger and gently caress each other in the nearest gas station's bathroom and say their tearful goodbyes to go look for relationships in their respective countries. Quill realizes later that he is gay and having a long distance relationship with a woman was his way of trying to deny his true sexual identity.They will remain close friends and often share their interesting travels and experiences through regular hand written letters.

Milquetoast and Rosa will see the accident as a wake-up call to settle down before it's too late, as they are both desperately lonely. They will have boring and awkward missionary sex in the limo while the driver watches and pleasures himself. Rosa will get pregnant and choose to keep the child, sealing the marriage in stone. Gunther will get a factory job to pay the bills and Rosa will work part-time once the child is off at public school. They will be loving parents and reasonably happy lovers and will end up falling in with solid friends from work.

Bernice and Delta will bond over feeding the needy family and then have a magical evening at prom. As they slow-dance cheek to cheek, they will both blush when they realize their attraction to each other. They will date and experiment until heading off to good colleges and getting degrees. They will lose touch for years, though each fondly remembering their summer of sexual awakening . A chance reuniting at an airport will see them married, successful and happy.

Tiffany will finish high school, and find friends that don't poo poo on her constantly and continue to grow as a person. She will delay college to enter the marines where she will excel in Special Forces and Linguistics, and become a war hero when saving the lives of thirty fellow soldiers through bravery and action above and beyond the call of duty during the police action in Turkmenistan. When aliens begin a shadow war to overthrow the world government, Tiffany will get an offer to join a multi-national anti-alien task force named X-Com. After many missions she will make the ultimate sacrifice and save mankind through her selfless death that will put an end to the alien menace. She will die with the knowledge that her life achieved true greatness.

One can dream.

E: Brad will die while fighting a wildfire, which will be for the best, as his liver would have soon developed cirrhosis on account of rampant alcoholism.

No, not the erotic fanfic, please.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Lucky for you, this strip is hidden away from most major newspapers.

Pibgorn

Just how long is this lazy bum going to stay in bed? We'll never finish this play at this rate.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Ever since that kid was pointed out as a cyclops, it's all I can see. Just that single eye, misshapen and off-kilter, staring out of the screen right at me.

And I had actually thought there wasn't anything this strip could do to be less appealing. What a fool I was.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Prediction for Luann:
Whats-her-name, the kid they're always babysitting and ignoring, grows up a severe misanthrope. She channels her negative emotions into a desire for domination. Going underground, she becomes an evil Bond-esque criminal mastermind known only as "The Countess". She eventually accumulates enough wealth that through a series of complex stock manipulation schemes, she crashes the global economy in 2044. As she watches the millionaires, businessmen, and ordinary citizens throw themselves from rooftops as they realize they are penniless, she swirls the champagne in her glass, and for the first time in decades, she smiles.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (April 20-22, 1967)

...and unfortunately, she'd be forced to aim for the teeth.

Funky Winkerbean

Not "The man who murdered my father, John Darling"? It's like hearing somebody forget half the words of "Who Let The Dogs Out?" You really didn't want to hear it in the first place, but you sure as hell didn't want to hear it like that.

Popeye

Speaking of things you didn't want to hear in the way that you heard them...

Rip Haywire

We'll catch up with the rest of my goody box later today.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So, who wants a voyeur Phantom avatar?

Panoramic view.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

:stare:

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

great job, colorist.

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
The waifu and I finally watched the first half of the 1966 Modesty Blaise movie, and I have to admit, it's not too bad. It starts out pretty campy, but then gets moving along nicely. The biggest problem I have with it is that Monica Vitti was cast as Modesty, and her thick Italian (I think?) accent just doesn't mesh correctly in my head as the way I hear Modesty speak in the comics. Looks-wise, she nailed the part for sure. I still think they should've cast a Brit actress for the part, though. Willy Garvin (played by Terrence Stamp) is dead on though -- both with the heavy cockney accent, and constant knife throwing. It's got a good plot, but it gets confusing in spots in my opinion, first because of some (I felt unnecessary) story complexities combined with gobs of heavy foreign accents from everyone. There's a veritable cornucopia including, British, French, Italian, Dutch, and even some sort of Eastern European, and we're only in the first half. So far, overall, it's pretty decent. It's a typical 1966 Bond-like movie, and if you want to check out truly bizarre '60s costumes (even more crazy than Gerry Anderson's U.F.O. from about the same time), and tons and tons of pop art everywhere, this is the movie.

Here's the trailer:

http://youtu.be/IN9uh1bSsYo

We'll watch the rest tonight. Anyway Saturday Morning Comix!

Non Sequitur

THANKS OBAMA! :911:

Heavenly Nostrils

I wonder if next week will be a week of reruns, too.

9 Chickweed Lane 4/19/2003

It's 2003, and he's not using a word processor? Oh right, Brooke...

Zits

Kevin & Kell

The inept assassins are foiled again.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Actually its meaning is pretty plain. Also it's a paraphrase from Polonius's advice to Laertes which you'd know if you ever opened a book that didn't have wiring diagrams in it you misogynist sperglord.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

The waifu and I finally watched the first half of the 1966 Modesty Blaise movie, and I have to admit, it's not too bad. It starts out pretty campy, but then gets moving along nicely. The biggest problem I have with it is that Monica Vitti was cast as Modesty, and her thick Italian (I think?) accent just doesn't mesh correctly in my head as the way I hear Modesty speak in the comics. Looks-wise, she nailed the part for sure. I still think they should've cast a Brit actress for the part, though. Willy Garvin (played by Terrence Stamp) is dead on though -- both with the heavy cockney accent, and constant knife throwing. It's got a good plot, but it gets confusing in spots in my opinion, first because of some (I felt unnecessary) story complexities combined with gobs of heavy foreign accents from everyone. There's a veritable cornucopia including, British, French, Italian, Dutch, and even some sort of Eastern European, and we're only in the first half. So far, overall, it's pretty decent. It's a typical 1966 Bond-like movie, and if you want to check out truly bizarre '60s costumes (even more crazy than Gerry Anderson's U.F.O. from about the same time), and tons and tons of pop art everywhere, this is the movie.

Here's the trailer:

http://youtu.be/IN9uh1bSsYo

We'll watch the rest tonight. Anyway Saturday Morning Comix!

I need to watch that movie :allears:

Another 1966 movie that I think must have been inspired by Modesty Blaise is How to Steal a Million, starring Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole. They're both spot on for looks, and the story, while it doesn't fit the backstory of Modesty Blaise, still feels like a pre-good guys version of Modesty and Willie.

(click for larger, especially to see O'Toole's face in the fourth image)

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

In some old interview that Brooke did somewhere (I can't find it back and don't really want to look for it more), he says that whenever the name "Rose" appears in 9CL, it's the Rose from "Rose is Rose." That the mom character and Rose are old friends.

(Now, aren't you just thrilled to know that?)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Alright, televangelist time!

That'd be Jerry Falwell, Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Bakker, and Oral Roberts, while "gang of four" refers to a group of dissidents from China's Cultural Revolution.

Calvin And Hobbes

Tank McNamara: The first sports-centric comic strip? Even as I type that, I'm sure there was something in the '30s to take that title.

Tarzan could probably use some context.

And Graham Harrop brings us Ten Cats.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

I'm so sick of harping on this, but he could literally be submitting a dozen resumes a day while she's out. Why doesn't she just ask loving ask him how it's going and what he's doing?

Rex Morgan MD

"Why didn't you at least get to second base?"

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
Hah, I was digging through an old drive from my previous computer and found a folder with a handful of edits from some of the old threads. Looks like some of them are still getting posted in the OP of this thread too

Also found a link to The Bus

edit:apparently I didn't note down who these were by, apologies to the people who did them

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

:neckbeard: It pleases me beyond measure that someone kept this.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pvt.Scott posted:

Prediction for Luann:

Cool, now we can stop posting Luann forever. It'll give us more time for Dorgzenhats Comix.

Pooch Café

Man, new guy's just making enemies left and right.

Ballard Street

Brooke's the one who needs this advice.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

I'll have to take it on the word of those that claim such that reading this all at once like a graphic novel or children's book series (apparently the way it was intended) it's great, but reading it a page a day (you know, like a comic strip) it's boring, incomprehensible garbage that never seems to go anywhere, indistinguishable in quality from Zachary Nixon Johnson.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

amishjosh posted:

edit:apparently I didn't note down who these were by, apologies to the people who did them

This was one of mine, from my run of turning political cartoons into Slylock Fox puzzles. I'm so happy you liked it enough to save it :neckbeard:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

amishjosh posted:

Hah, I was digging through an old drive from my previous computer and found a folder with a handful of edits from some of the old threads. Looks like some of them are still getting posted in the OP of this thread too

Also found a link to The Bus

Hitler Jonah was one of mine. There was another where he was screaming about Spiderman being in league with the Jews, but it's lost to time I suppose.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Hey Gilchrist, this is how you work in cutesy references from the Good Old Days. Note how the other two characters are not pining wistfully for lost American innocence or whatever.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
Man, I went back a couple megathreads to see if anything was savable, it's pretty bad with all the broken links. A few things are up where people used their own hosting or something that wasn't waffleimages. On the bright side, the pages load really fast :\

I also found the original post of that doc ock elton john edit.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

gently caress Your Website posted:

I'll have to take it on the word of those that claim such that reading this all at once like a graphic novel or children's book series (apparently the way it was intended) it's great, but reading it a page a day (you know, like a comic strip) it's boring, incomprehensible garbage that never seems to go anywhere, indistinguishable in quality from Zachary Nixon Johnson.

I, on the other hand am absolutely hooked to Lost Side of Suburbia, or at least this storyline. For me it works even as a daily strip.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Valiantman posted:

I, on the other hand am absolutely hooked to Lost Side of Suburbia, or at least this storyline. For me it works even as a daily strip.

This is pretty much how I feel, at least since we restarted at the beginning. When it first started being posted late in the story, I usually just went "what the gently caress is this" and skipped it.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Not "The man who murdered my father, John Darling"? It's like hearing somebody forget half the words of "Who Let The Dogs Out?" You really didn't want to hear it in the first place, but you sure as hell didn't want to hear it like that.
Found this. The strip where Plantman was revealed:

Was Pete Mossman a regular character in "John Darling", to anyone who read the strip?

EDIT: Few other strips from the lead-up:

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 19, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

That's legit how I draw and I don't have an art degree.

Retail

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

I use to climb up on counters and shelves all the time to get things down before I was tall enough. I guess I should be grateful I didn't have a naggy nanny dog telling me not to.

Dustin

This strip was brought to you by two middle aged men.

On the Fastrack

That giftbasket's going straight in the trashcan.

Safe Havens

Pretty convenient that shift in behavior happened over the course of your trip there and you didn't have to do anything?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Valiantman posted:

Yeah, I'm keeping up with it just fine, too. Each day's comic follows naturally from the previous day's, and while the story hasn't been a thrill-a-minute so far (girl and brother are kidnapped by monster, girl reads books to monster to postpone dinnertime and possibly earn their freedom), it is definitely straightforward and comprehensible.

Which is far more than can be said for ZNJ, or anything Brooke McEldowney has done for the past few years, or, honestly, 90% of the Jane's World endlessly recursive nested flashback festival. If there's any coherent narrative to any of those, it sure as gently caress isn't making it into the comics.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I like Lost Side of Suburbia.

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

This strip was brought to you by two middle aged men.

Literally the only overweight person in their family is the dad. That girl isn't any thinner than Meg. I don't think this joke works. :mad:

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Third Murderer posted:

Literally the only overweight person in their family is the dad. That girl isn't any thinner than Meg. I don't think this joke works. :mad:
Not to mention that her lunch looks like a plate of nachos and a soft drink.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Callback!

Candorville is like a toothache.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Aww, I didn't mean nothin by my Luann poo poo. I just don't have the Photoshop chops to make dick jokes is all.

I am loving Lost Side of Suburbia. The art is neato keen. Reminds me of ink wash drawings I used to do.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone still have Borden's "Sexy Thel" edits from Family Circus? I cleared out my comic folder because I never look at it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I have a cat called segue.
..And speaking of segues...

9 Junji Lane.

Edit:

Manuel Calavera posted:

Does anyone still have Borden's "Sexy Thel" edits from Family Circus? I cleared out my comic folder because I never look at it.
Try one of those rule 34 sites.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

This strip was brought to you by two middle aged men.\

I can see why Meg's bitching, since she's such a fatass.

RandomFerret posted:

Cool, now we can stop posting Luann forever.

:colbert:

:colbert:

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

I love how despite nearly going the speed of sound, Spidey is still able to comfortably sit on JJJ like he's riding a horse.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Never has clothes drying been so intense. Will their pants be ready in time?

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Manuel Calavera posted:

These are the ones that I had in my archive. I think this might be most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Missed one!

• Locked thread