Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I dunno, I guess after filling a garage with tools I can justify a semi-expensive tool to myself a lot easier than I can hunks of plastic (and I can justify hunks of plastic very easily).

edit: I mean yeah I doubt I'd buy something like an airbrush from them because that seems legitimately complex to manufacture but a pin vise is not exactly high science. It's not worth throwing out your clippers and buying theirs or something but it's not like it's going to catastrophically fail and maim your hand or something if you do end up with one.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I dunno, I guess after filling a garage with tools I can justify a semi-expensive tool to myself a lot easier than I can hunks of plastic (and I can justify hunks of plastic very easily).

edit: I mean yeah I doubt I'd buy something like an airbrush from them because that seems legitimately complex to manufacture but a pin vise is not exactly high science. It's not worth throwing out your clippers and buying theirs or something but it's not like it's going to catastrophically fail and maim your hand or something if you do end up with one.

A pin vise isn't high science and it also isn't a $26 tool. An xacto knife is not a $25 dollar tool. Just because it is expensive does not mean it is high quality. Please do not try and defend this embarrassing display of blatant price gouging. You can go on Amazon and buy everything contained in this "tool set" and more for 30% of the price.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ijyt posted:

I've actually never heard of one. Do you just use the edge of a piece of shaped metal or what?

Yeah, works exactly like removing mould lines with a knife but without blunting or risking a cut. Like I say, very very handy.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

JerryLee posted:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Army-Painter-PPV2237D-Miniature/dp/B0037V3S08 is the model I use or very similar, it won't tell you whether the drill bits are for a bolter or heavy bolter though so if you want that you'll have to shell out the extra 15 bucks :(

Is there a fantasy conversion table for these drill bit sizes?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Business Gorillas posted:

Is there a fantasy conversion table for these drill bit sizes?

Lasgun = Hobbit Butthole
Bolter = Orc Butthole
Heavy Bolter = Ogre Butthole

Their naming convention is pretty weird tbqh

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Drill yo buttholes

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

JerryLee posted:

Drill yo buttholes

:frogsiren:New thread title alert.:frogsiren:

If nothing else, GW's new tools are a source of comedy.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Does anyone have any masking fluid recommendations? I just finished magnetizing a pair of Legion heavy Warbeasts that I now need to paint without covering the magnets in said paint

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Karnegal posted:

Does anyone have any masking fluid recommendations? I just finished magnetizing a pair of Legion heavy Warbeasts that I now need to paint without covering the magnets in said paint

Sorry this isn't helpful for an actual recommendation, but what's the problem with painting over them?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Stop ya bitching about things you weren't going to buy anyway.

I'll do the base tomorrow and take some proper pictures then.

Dude! 15 seconds in Irfanview to crop, resize, and sharpen this. It IS a proper photo, there's no reason to make people click five times!

It's so good, too! :h: And that purple cape, hnnngghhhhh.

This does make me realize how bad his pose is, like he's doing yoga, and how his head is way too big. Still, I am head over heels about all the details, including how great the black looks, the sharp brass edging, and so forth. Both the skin on his face and the fur on his pelt look stonking wonderful.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Karnegal posted:

You can paint over magnets and they will still attract each other just fine. If you really want to cover them you can get liquid frisket, or, and this is the much easier method, just cover them with some blu-tac or silly putty.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Pierzak posted:

And of course they removed the emery boards, the one loving thing I bought from them :argh:

If you hate having money as much as I apparently do, Squadron Sanding Sticks are pretty nice and come in a bunch of different grades, unlike the Citadel ones.

A bit miffed that GW are replacing their snips with those uncomfortable looking things though, they were my favourite.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
And Horus is done. This is a model i've wanted for around 15 years or so, and it is an absolute joy for me to finally have him in my collection. What do you guys think?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Any chance you can explain how you did the fur?

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
That looks fantastic, as do the rest of the Primarchs you've been painting up. Keep up the great work.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That's a gorgeous Horus, I even love the colors and burning effects on the stone.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Shallow posted:

If you hate having money as much as I apparently do, Squadron Sanding Sticks are pretty nice and come in a bunch of different grades, unlike the Citadel ones.
Not gonna pay shipping on any of those, especially if they're more expensive than GW's was. I'll probably switch to fine sandpaper. Also, the Citadel ones were graded.

VVV: Nah, I liked the Citadel ones because they were small enough to remove mold lines on my Infinity minis. If I'm gonna have to cut them down to size, I'm going with sandpaper.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 19, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Just use regular emery boards?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
They actually do have sizes to the drill bits (1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm), they just decided to go with the marketing gimmick on the website because they are complete idiots or something.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Any chance you can explain how you did the fur?

Its real easy. Rhino hide base, wash with nuln oil. Drybrush with Mournfang brown, then gorthor brown, and finally karak stone.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's a gorgeous paint job. How did you do the stone? It looks amazing.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I don't LOVE the Finecast on my Lord of Change, but assembling this in metal would be murder.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh man, the subtle metal sheen on the lightening claws of the Talon of Horus is loving sick, gaylord. Real nice touch.

Post 9-11 User posted:

This does make me realize how bad his pose is, like he's doing yoga, and how his head is way too big.

The pose is fine when you see the entire model on its base and, since he's climbing the ruins of those stairs I think it looks natural.

I'm also pretty sure Horus has had a big head in nearly every single thing he's ever been visually depicted in. It's practically his personal primarch mutation.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That's a gorgeous paint job. How did you do the stone? It looks amazing.

Its actually not complicated from a technical point of view, all of the things you need to do to it are fairly simple. I primed it black, then gave a really thin single coat of the base brown which left it patchy in places. Then i stippled on a lighter colour, then a darker. I put some dark lines in, then stained it various colours. Stippled the light and dark colours on again, put the white lines in. Stained it, stippled light and dark, finally the darkest lining. Stippled light and dark. Then finished with a light drybrush of white on the edges.

Then used some weathering pigments to put the burn marks on.

Thanks for the feedback guys, its really appreciated. Believe it or not when I got up this morning and looked at it I was just a bit 'meh' about the thing. But seeing it on the base has made me really feel its one of the best things i've done.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 19, 2014

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Does Horus come off the scenic base like the other primarchs if you ever wanted to have a royal rumble game with some of the best painted primarchs in one Free For All to claim the title belt imperium?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

serious gaylord posted:

And Horus is done. This is a model i've wanted for around 15 years or so, and it is an absolute joy for me to finally have him in my collection. What do you guys think?

This owns so hard gaylord. You're doing the model great justice.

Silhouette posted:

Lasgun = Hobbit Butthole
Bolter = Orc Butthole
Heavy Bolter = Ogre Butthole

Their naming convention is pretty weird tbqh

FATAL?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Posting some WiPs of my Imperial Knight.

Cockpit

Pilot and cockpit hatch

I'm planning to have sculpted mist (spray insulation foam) coming out of the meltagun and replacing the chainsword with a power-blade version.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

serious gaylord posted:

Thanks for the feedback guys, its really appreciated. Believe it or not when I got up this morning and looked at it I was just a bit 'meh' about the thing. But seeing it on the base has made me really feel its one of the best things i've done.

I honestly think the base is the best thing you've done, and Horus even looks a bit subdued compared to it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I'd say the Horus and base are legit better than their studio/publicity model, though to be fair I've only seen a scanned magazine pic of the latter.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Z the IVth posted:

Cockpit

Pilot and cockpit hatch

I'm planning to have sculpted mist (spray insulation foam) coming out of the meltagun and replacing the chainsword with a power-blade version.

I'd buy an Imperial Knight if it had this.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx

Z the IVth posted:

Cockpit

Pilot and cockpit hatch

Interesting idea actually. Haven't seen a knight in person yet, is that hatch actually there, or is that cut out? The model is from infinity I take it, but what is she holding, it looks like a football?

Sorta tempted to try this on the wraithknight, though I want to have it used for the tabletop, wouldn't make too much sense to have some eldar hanging out of the knights chest or head. Oh what am I saying, this is 40k.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

VolatileSky posted:

Interesting idea actually. Haven't seen a knight in person yet, is that hatch actually there, or is that cut out? The model is from infinity I take it, but what is she holding, it looks like a football?

Sorta tempted to try this on the wraithknight, though I want to have it used for the tabletop, wouldn't make too much sense to have some eldar hanging out of the knights chest or head. Oh what am I saying, this is 40k.

Hatch is actually there on the model. If you study the inside of the torso you can actually see mounting lugs which hint that at some point *something* was meant to go in there, but clearly did not make the final cut.

The model is from Infinity, and it's holding a helmet. I resculpted the hair completely as I wanted this to represent a very specific character.

I don't think having the pilot out would work at all with battlesuit-type mecha like the Riptide (I thought the Wraithknight was controlled by Spirit Stones?), but with the walking tanks like the Knight you can sorta imagine the pilot popping the hatch to take a look around outside.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Generally speaking controlling poo poo like Knights and Titans involves basically being tied to a chair/floating in a casket.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Generally speaking controlling poo poo like Knights and Titans involves basically being tied to a chair/floating in a casket.

The princeps for a Warhound and the Knight pilots themselves are wired into the controls of the machine, but they're still able to move around freely once outside their engines. The principes for Reavers, Warlords and larger are all immersed in tanks which they don't generally leave unless they're dead. Apparently, disconnecting from the engine's control interface is a traumatic event that gets worse and worse with time, thus the suspension in a barrel of goo.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, Warhound and Knight pilots are still motive but I don't think it's an easy enough process where you would just be like 'oh I feel like taking a nice peek out the window' and hop up.

That model is nice as hell though and I am jealous.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Yeah, Warhound and Knight pilots are still motive but I don't think it's an easy enough process where you would just be like 'oh I feel like taking a nice peek out the window' and hop up.

That model is nice as hell though and I am jealous.

According to one of the books, they can totally disengage that easily. One of the Horus Heresy ones(about the Dark Mechanicus thing on Mars)

Ofc, WH40k novel, so

E: to clarify, knight pilots can disengage easily, the other have actual issues.

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 20, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I dunno, Codex: Imperial Knights has like rollercoasters involved in the starting-up piloting process and there's a lot of references to stuff like people going crazy from basically pulling the plug in Titans.

It wouldn't be WH40k without the answer to every question being 'we don't know' though.

KING OV HELL
Apr 2, 2014

RFC2324 posted:

According to one of the books, they can totally disengage that easily. One of the Horus Heresy ones(about the Dark Mechanicus thing on Mars)

Ofc, WH40k novel, so

E: to clarify, knight pilots can disengage easily, the other have actual issues.

Idk man, when they talk about the sequences the pilots of the Dies Irae titan, it seems pretty involved. Like metal tendrils inserting through your eye sockets into your brain and switching your vision to that of the titan. But then again I haven't read the book you're referring too, so.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

KING OV HELL posted:

Idk man, when they talk about the sequences the pilots of the Dies Irae titan, it seems pretty involved. Like metal tendrils inserting through your eye sockets into your brain and switching your vision to that of the titan. But then again I haven't read the book you're referring too, so.

The titans, particularly the warlords, aren't easy to disengage from, The knights have much weaker personalities, and the pilots have hardwired ports that can unplug pretty easily.

And remember, Dies Irae drove its pilots mad since it had such an over powering personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Knight codex has a short story where a pilot basically just sits in his command chair in a medieval style meeting room, has a plug connect to his brain, and then does an anime style chair-drop through the depths of the building straight into the cockpit of his suit.

It didn't come across to me as being anywhere near as complex as the method of synching with a true titan.

• Locked thread