Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

quote:

This vote right here is important.

Since its the holiday weekend and some of us will be traveling, can we hold off on closing voting until Monday.

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

Zybourne Clock posted:

1B.
2E. I would have gone with F, but we can take absolutely no risk whatsoever when it comes to endangering our Balls. If one of them dies on our secret trips that nobody in Zepath is supposed to know about, people will start asking questions. And that's when our house of cards comes tumbling down.
3K. But only the curatives. They are by far the most useful of the things we know that Indor makes, and anything else will likely draw unwanted attention.
4N.
5X. Which is U, but we adopt a girl. Zepathan society expects nothing from girls. Any sons we might have will have ridiculous expectations placed on them they simply will not be able to overcome, so adopting and claiming it to be ours is the better solution.

F doesn't seem to be any riskier than E. The monster's will already be subdued.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Cornuto posted:

***This the Volor eugenics red flag all over again. Please don't gently caress this up twice.***
I don't think any person in our lives that would accept us torturing and dissecting living sentient albeit evil creatures. Billy chilling up on Mt. Har with El amd looking down on us tieing up live goblins so a witch can gut our their soft carmel center is gonna be like, "I broke divine law and sacrificed my life for this poo poo?" We need a 'What Would Billy Do?" bracelet.

Literally, the only eugenicist here is Ishamal. All this does is make it so that the monsters who die do it slightly slower than before. We are wanting to start murdering thinking beings with knives in strategic places, instead of murdering thinking beings with swords in strategic places.

Slaan fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 19, 2014

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Cornuto posted:

(Will switch to E if it is more popular)

I am fairly sure that E and I votes are going to be clumped together when determining whether or not we should go ahead with this plan. Be a bit silly otherwise. Of course, the converse to that is that F, G, and H votes are likely to be clumped together, too. So vote as you please, not on the basis of strategic voting.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
I did. :confused:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Tomn posted:

I am fairly sure that E and I votes are going to be clumped together when determining whether or not we should go ahead with this plan. Be a bit silly otherwise. Of course, the converse to that is that F, G, and H votes are likely to be clumped together, too. So vote as you please, not on the basis of strategic voting.
Correct.

E/I votes will be clumped together for "no" and F/G/H for "yes". We do this almost every time we have a vote with two choices, which many smaller variations on one idea, to do something or not.

the_steve posted:

Ask Puabi: What exactly would you be harvesting from the monsters that you need them alive for?
"They are freshest and more potent if taken while they still live."

Tomn posted:

Hey, some questions!
Can we discuss option V with Naomi right now, to see what she thinks about it before going ahead with it?
This is sort of an odd situation. Please weigh in if you want to ask this question or not.

Tomn posted:

Can we ask Naomi if she would prefer sons or daughters?
"I want sons to carry on your name my Hero, but even daughters to bring laughter to our home would be a blessing."

Tomn posted:

Would she insist on the sons being Blooded? If so, be clear that we would need to adopt high-born children - no other options would work.
She is your wife. You can be pretty sure she wants Blooded children, but *EVERYONE* wants Blooded children. At times she is lonely, she would probably be happy enough with unblooded children.

Tomn posted:

Ask Ishamal if the "false child" thing has ever been done before and what the consequences were when they happened.
"It is not a... forbidden thing, you need not worry on that regard."

Tomn posted:

Ask Ishamal why he wasn't eager to explore the false child option - if there's any notable issues with the procedure.
"None that need trouble you. I would prefer she not know I was involved, let her believe you were mistaken that you could not father children, or perhaps had a dream?"

Diogines fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 19, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

BGLV.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Zybourne Clock posted:

1B.
2E. I would have gone with F, but we can take absolutely no risk whatsoever when it comes to endangering our Balls. If one of them dies on our secret trips that nobody in Zepath is supposed to know about, people will start asking questions. And that's when our house of cards comes tumbling down.
3K. But only the curatives. They are by far the most useful of the things we know that Indor makes, and anything else will likely draw unwanted attention.
4N.
5X. Which is U, but we adopt a girl. Zepathan society expects nothing from girls. Any sons we might have will have ridiculous expectations placed on them they simply will not be able to overcome, so adopting and claiming it to be ours is the better solution.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Killing babies? Merciful!

Killing minotaurs in various gruesome ways? EL approved!

Stopping a guy from suicide so he can burn alive? Justice!

A slow death for ogres and other big monsters that we can't kill easily? Totally fine!

Oh poo poo Puabi wants to harvest stuff from monsters. This cannot stand!!!

I like that you're assuming everyone who is voting against vivisection also voted for every one of the other things you're complaining about. :rolleyes:

Anyway, look guys. It doesn't matter if tearing out a wounded minotaur spleen or whatever only takes a few minutes as they're dying. You're still inflicting unnecessary pain and suffering on another being for no reason but personal gain. That's not a line we should cross.

Yes, I know we kill monsters every day to protect Zepath and earn a living. This is different though. Sure, monsters this close to Zepath probably need to die anyway…but they don't need to die slowly, and in needless pain and terror. And why? Just so we can get some magic bits and bobs? We don't need to put needless suffering into the world like that—and certainly not for so selfish and trivial a reason.

Vivisection and torture are a bad path. Pease don't do it. :(

Anyways, I'm not crazy about the baby idea either, but since it looks like it may pass, go ahead and Ask Ish:

WIll the child be fathered by another man's seed? If so, will the father not come for it one day? If not, will the child still have a soul?

You say you were hesitant to offer this…why?

Blessings from El carry a cost or sacrifice of some form. What cost is required for this miracle you would perform?

Does Zeb know what you offer? Would he approve, do you think?

Yes to asking Naomi about the baby plan now.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Ooh, this is tricky. I feel like we SHOULD talk this over with Naomi, but on the other hand, if Ishamal would rather not be mentioned...

OK, let's try this:

Tell Naomi about the baby plan and ask her opinion, but don't let on that Ish is the one doing it - just say that we recently learned it was an option. Make it clear that the child will not be of our blood and will never be Blooded, even if it looked like us.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I don't understand the appeal of the eugenics thing at all, I guess. Kindness to orphans is a virtue. Much of our own difficulty has to do with having some sort of mystery father. Much of the goodness in our life comes from having been adopted. Ishamal will do it, but does not want to. If he does it he does not want it known. So I guess if for whatever strange reason we do this...

... We don't tell Naomi

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

FoxTerrier posted:

Yes, I know we kill monsters every day to protect Zepath and earn a living. This is different though. Sure, monsters this close to Zepath probably need to die anyway…but they don't need to die slowly, and in needless pain and terror. And why? Just so we can get some magic bits and bobs? We don't need to put needless suffering into the world like that—and certainly not for so selfish and trivial a reason.

Vivisection and torture are a bad path. Pease don't do it. :(

We are just killing the ones near Zepath though. We are going out into the wilds for weeks at a time to hunt them down in their homes. Goblin city? The smaller Harpy nesting grounds? Minotaur staging area? We've fought in all of these places. We are already the invaders here, killing the monsters for profit; and yes, often killing them slowly, in pain and terror. You think that the thousand paper cuts it takes to down an ogre is painless? It isn't scared? How about the minotaur we gutted and left to burn alive in its own stomach acid while we took down its companion?

Yeah, its exactly the same for both options. One is just a lot more honest (and profitable!) about what we are doing.

sotary
Sep 11, 2001
1B
2E
3J
4N

HiHo ChiRho posted:

X Yes. We will adopt a child from one of Zepath's low born famillies. If people inquire as to why, note that you were originally low born, and wish to keep the tradition going.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Slaan posted:

You think that the thousand paper cuts it takes to down an ogre is painless? It isn't scared?

You know, that's an interesting point.

Diog, whenever we fought larger monsters like minotaurs and ogres, have they ever tried to, well, run away from us at any point in the fight?

Though as regards the actual point being made, I'd like to mention in passing that I somehow suspect that this particular line of reasoning will not go down well with just about everyone else aside from Indor. It's one thing to kill another being in a battle to the death in which one must emerge the victor and the other must die - it's another to deliberately inflict pain on a helpless being no longer capable of resistance.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm curious now.

Diog, what are the Zepathan views on the torture of other human beings? How about monsters? Does it happen often?

Edit: Also, y'know what, changing my vote from 5. X+V+T to straight T. Diog is probably gonna get around to the questions while I'm asleep, and it's safer to vote this for now. Besides, what exactly are the advantages of magic babies? "No, see, actually I CAN make babies, but none of them are Blooded so I'm shamed anyways!"

Tomn fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 19, 2014

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

I think we have enough magic bullshit in our lives that this false child nonsense is unecessary, the gain is minimal, the bullshitness is high.

Baitel isn't the city that hates us right?
Bring the balls It'll be rad.

I Actively voting any vote to sever them ties. And also for Tsyni

If that fails

K Just curatives, no bullshit marching powder, things that will save their lives.

Talk to him, does he wish to join us?
IF SO
P

If not then

O

(I know, conditional voting. I'd just like to ask him before a vote and then that will decide)

Can we get some more info on the process for T/U? I'm not sure I fully understand.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

FoxTerrier posted:

WIll the child be fathered by another man's seed? If so, will the father not come for it one day? If not, will the child still have a soul?
Ishamal says "No one will come for it."

FoxTerrier posted:

You say you were hesitant to offer this…why?
"It is... unusual. It is wisest you not father children, but not fair to deny you them, so I offered."

FoxTerrier posted:

Blessings from El carry a cost or sacrifice of some form. What cost is required for this miracle you would perform?
"None you need worry about, if any."

FoxTerrier posted:

Does Zeb know what you offer? Would he approve, do you think?
"This is not his concern."

Tomn posted:

Diog, whenever we fought larger monsters like minotaurs and ogres, have they ever tried to, well, run away from us at any point in the fight?
Sometimes yes, usually not. Usually they only get angrier and act more primitively and savagely when hurt, though sometimes they do try to flee. Usually not.

FoxTerrier posted:

Diog, what are the Zepathan views on the torture of other human beings?
It is forbidden. It is not unheard of for wicked people to do so, however. A number of other misdeeds are seen as worse.

FoxTerrier posted:

How about monsters? Does it happen often?
There is no pity at all for monsters. A sense of empathy might extend to livestock and even wild animals, that they not suffer needlessly, but that sort of empathy does not extend to the sort which threaten human civilization.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
BFLNT

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

Can we get some more info on the process for T/U? I'm not sure I fully understand.

Diogines posted:

T. Yes. We will adopt a child from one of Zepath's high born famillies.
U. Yes, but not from one of Zepath's high born families. You will keep the true parents a secret from Zepathan society, though you surely can't keep it secret from Tudiya and Ishamal. Well, probably not anyway.

As to T. You are the adopted son of the King of Zepath and have wide popularity in the city. You and Naomi would approach one of those families and ask them for one of their children, explaining that you cannot have children. You can probably find someone who would agree.

As to U. Outside of the rich, you would find someone who is having difficulty providing for their family and expects another child coming on the way and adopt them.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Slaan posted:

We are just killing the ones near Zepath though. We are going out into the wilds for weeks at a time to hunt them down in their homes. Goblin city? The smaller Harpy nesting grounds? Minotaur staging area? We've fought in all of these places. We are already the invaders here, killing the monsters for profit; and yes, often killing them slowly, in pain and terror. You think that the thousand paper cuts it takes to down an ogre is painless? It isn't scared? How about the minotaur we gutted and left to burn alive in its own stomach acid while we took down its companion?

Yeah, its exactly the same for both options. One is just a lot more honest (and profitable!) about what we are doing.
Team :spergin:

I think your argument is good. I find I don't quite agree though.

"Will" seems to be important. We should have learned something about this through our exercises in willpower or whatever we might call it. This probably also means our choices are important in a similar way, not just in terms of chained consequences in the world. (This might mean teleological cause [that for the sake of which something is done] is at play in the Urian world, rather than just efficient cause [if, then material cause and effect]. An Aristotle has not been born yet, but we might have tumbled to some version of this while considering such things as Grigori.)

I think the the shift from being a hunter to a vivisectionist is a difference in kind, rather than one of degree as you and others are suggesting. We currently hunt monsters within a larger context of duty, Forces of Creation and Destruction and so forth. Profit is a by product of that. Were it not profitable Zepath would still have to do it. The process leads to all sorts of inconsistencies, contradictions and gruesome business. Again, as a by product, not the intention. When we shift to an intention of causing much greater pain and suffering specifically for the sake of profit, this is a change in kind. Of course it would be possible to argue that we will do "wonders" as result, but that is post hoc rationalization and the value or nature of those supposed "wonders" by which we will have then been seduced is not at all assured.

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat
1.A
2.E
3.J
4.Q
5.X, Adopt an orphan.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Quick question for those voting for the magic baby: What are we hoping to get out of it? How do we believe that magicbabies will be a better option for ourselves, Naomi, and the baby than adoption? Serious question, not rhetorical.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It's not down to Enkidel. Give Naomi her options, and let her decide what she wants to do.

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
C
F
L
N
T

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Changing my #5 to X - Orphan adoption.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
edit: nevermind, FoxTerrier already asked my question

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Pladdicus posted:

(I know, conditional voting. I'd just like to ask him before a vote and then that will decide)

Just going to count your vote as BIKO, since conditional voting doesn't make any sense unless it gets a majority vote, otherwise it just means "I will edit my post in the future."

Spreadsheet is up to date. No ties, but things are a bit close.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

the_steve posted:

Changing my #5 to X - Orphan adoption.

Also changing my vote to X - Adopt an orphan (previously T).

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Vavrek posted:

Also changing my vote to X - Adopt an orphan (previously T).

Changing all votes to X - No babies, get a kennel for Naomi to live in and put Snarls, our true partner, in charge of the household.

I seriously think A Terrible Person had the best idea, though. Golem babies :|

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 19, 2014

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Tsyni posted:

I seriously think A Terrible Person had the best idea, though. Golem babies :|

I was torn between suggesting either that or stealing an infant from a family in Athar.

I don't know. I'm not actually very invested in that particular vote. Each option reads like trying to use our place in society to influence people into selling their kids to us, or otherwise creating a homunculus. I would've abstained, but... a Lefkandian pot-golem felt like a fitting alternative.

Maybe we could eventually give it a soul, like we did with Snarls?

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
I've been mute on most of these votes, but the one thing I will comment on - please no creepy fake Enkidel babies. Anything but that. It's weird and unecessary.

Also, witches.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised no one liked my idea of seeing if Az had some HOT TIPS re: orphans.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'm surprised no one liked my idea of seeing if Az had some HOT TIPS re: orphans.

Yeah! Does Az have any other friends he'd like us to look after? Billy want to be a kid?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Is Azz really going to trust us with a baby when we couldn't even take care of Billy? We do remember Billy, right? We tried to eat him, and may have technically succeeded.
Not a good parenting technique unless you're Team Asherah/Hunger

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Has Danal tried to learn anything of fighting monsters while he's been traveling with us? Do we think he might be ready to challenge a Ball in the year that has passed?

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe
BIN X: adopt an orphan/otherwise needy child.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

SerSpook posted:

Has Danal tried to learn anything of fighting monsters while he's been traveling with us? Do we think he might be ready to challenge a Ball in the year that has passed?
We will get to that in the next update.

Voting closes in one hour. The update shall follow after that.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
1. Yes, we should also come up with a basic uniform / armor addition that makes our group distinct and stand out.

2. I

3. K but only the healing potions

4. N

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mr Apollo posted:

1. Yes, we should also come up with a basic uniform / armor addition that makes our group distinct and stand out.

Perhaps a stylized yet tasteful scrotum armband? Vanity glans for our spears?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -