Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Spencer's regular idol is also good up until the final 5, whereas it's usually good up until the final 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Spencer's regular idol is also good up until the final 5, whereas it's usually good up until the final 6.

It's always good to the final 5?

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's always good to the final 5?

It was final 6 for a while, which made more sense-- final 5 seems cheap and makes the first Tribal of the finale anticlimactic. But yeah, they switched it to final 5 a couple of years ago, I believe.

Also they've had Final 4 finales with a Final 3 at Tribal before. They pad the extra time with a reward challenge, where the reward is usually an advantage at the final Immunity challenge. It kind of happened twice just last year actually-- Phillipines for sure, and sort of Caramoan if you take into account that Erik was medevac'd 2 minutes into the episode.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I would poo poo my pants in glee if it was a final two.

Having a three person final is the dumbest loving decision ever made by the Survivor team, and one of the reasons I stopped watching for ten+ seasons.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I would poo poo my pants in glee if it was a final two.

Having a three person final is the dumbest loving decision ever made by the Survivor team, and one of the reasons I stopped watching for ten+ seasons.

F2 can work (Tocantins, Vanuatu), or it can fail miserably (Amazon, All-Stars, arguably Micronesia). Honestly, I'd rather not see it this time around, since whoever drags Kass to the end will automatically win.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Propaganda Machine posted:

F2 can work (Tocantins, Vanuatu), or it can fail miserably (Amazon, All-Stars, arguably Micronesia). Honestly, I'd rather not see it this time around, since whoever drags Kass to the end will automatically win.

Spencer and Kass, together 4eva

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Tony freaked out about sharks, and they didn't put it in the episode for some reason??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQwCQaMGblc

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I wouldn't mind Kass in a final 2 because she earned goat status through strategy rather than by being unpleasant or mindless hanger on.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
To that end, I think the F3 has failed if one of its goals is to prevent foregone conclusions in the final tribal council, seeing as how the last six seasons have gone down: 7-1-0, 8-0-0, 6-1-1, 7-2-0, 6-3-0 and 8-1-0. If there's going to be a blowout anyway (and one of the finalists is almost always going to be irrelevant), I think there's more entertainment to be derived from the entire jury teeing off one person, ala Katie in Palau. If Kass makes the finals, I don't want anything or anyone distracting the jury from their hatred of her

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

How in the world was All Star an example of a bad finale?

Rob vs Amber was one of my absolute favorite Survivor moments. The whole joy of the final vote should be watching people vote for the person they hate least. Love me some bitter-rear end juries.

Granted, this could just be because I stopped watching Survivor when they switched to the final three format, for other reasons.

Which means I'm apparently missing some great survivor seasons and characters (My survivor viewing group STILL talks about yau-man)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

xbilkis posted:

To that end, I think the F3 has failed if one of its goals is to prevent foregone conclusions in the final tribal council, seeing as how the last six seasons have gone down: 7-1-0, 8-0-0, 6-1-1, 7-2-0, 6-3-0 and 8-1-0. If there's going to be a blowout anyway (and one of the finalists is almost always going to be irrelevant), I think there's more entertainment to be derived from the entire jury teeing off one person, ala Katie in Palau. If Kass makes the finals, I don't want anything or anyone distracting the jury from their hatred of her

How many times was the season winner the person that won the last immunity challenge? By having less eliminations, it gives the "better" player a greater chance of making Final Tribal Council.

These are the worst case scenario, but I'd much rather have those seasons end the way they did, than have FTCs where the final 2 could have been:

Monica/Gervase
Dawn/Sherri
Lisa/Skupin *(Denise did not win final immunity)
Chelsea/Sabrina
Coach/Albert
Natalie/Phillip

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
Forgive my ignorance but what's different with the special "tyler perry" idol? I assume it's not the old style from the first seasons where it could be played after votes were read but you never know with survivor producers..

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Lone Goat posted:

How many times was the season winner the person that won the last immunity challenge? By having less eliminations, it gives the "better" player a greater chance of making Final Tribal Council.

These are the worst case scenario, but I'd much rather have those seasons end the way they did, than have FTCs where the final 2 could have been:

Monica/Gervase
Dawn/Sherri
Chelsea/Sabrina
Coach/Albert
Natalie/Phillip

Cochran won final immunity in caramoan. He would have won regardless of whether he'd taken sherri or dawn.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Teckiwi posted:

Forgive my ignorance but what's different with the special "tyler perry" idol? I assume it's not the old style from the first seasons where it could be played after votes were read but you never know with survivor producers..

That's exactly what it is.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Monica/Gervase
Dawn/Sherri
Chelsea/Sabrina
Coach/Albert
Natalie/Phillip

But the meta-game is completely different if the players are planning for a Final 2, so it's very unlikely the Final 3 would be the same people. As an example, Monica said numerous times in interviews that she knew she was on the bottom of her alliance with Tyson and Gervase, and implied that she would have flipped on them if there was a Final 2-- but because she knew she could get to the Final 3 with either alliance, it never made much sense to flip since Ciera and Hayden were far bigger jury threats.

Final 3s encourage one smart person making a small, core alliance of 3 with 2 goats. You can't really do this with a Final 2, because a 2-person alliance never has a majority of votes at a given Tribal. When it happens with 3 people, it's very hard to stop once you get to the Final 6, leading to a very anticlimactic finish (last season is a great example).

What made the earlier seasons so interesting at the end was that it often made sense to bring a strong jury threat to the endgame, since it increases the odds you get brought to the Final 2 if you don't win the Final Immunity. It's how you can end up with really bizarre votes, like Aras trying to keep Cirie in the game at Final 4 in Panama since he knew Terry would be likely to win the Final Immunity challenge and would probably take him to the finals over Cirie (who would probably sweep the vote).

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006

Piell posted:

That's exactly what it is.

...well that really stinks, hope it does not get found then

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Thought Tony was a slimy douche for most of this season, but I have to say he's winning me over with his genuine love of the game.

It's great to see two players (Tony and Spencer) who are both obvious fans of the show playing their hearts out.

Throw in Tasha, who is playing hard but is less engaging (editing I guess), and a host of decent side characters and you've got a great loving season going.

Tony is so weirdly charismatic though, if he gets to the end, he wins the whole thing. I think dropping LJ was actually a great move on his part. The only people who would mount a serious revolt against him (Woo and Trish) he already pulled over to his side. Jeffra is too much of a pushover and Kass is irrelevant. Spencer is going to have to try to take him out if he wants any chance of winning at all and it's going to be great.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I could see Tony falling apart in FTC if he got called out.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I have a feeling I wouldn't really get along with Tony, he's not really my kind of guy, but he's like a kid in a candy shop out there! It's just fun to watch. I gotta say, I think he's the guy I'd most like to see win. It would be cool to see someone playing that hard end up taking home the prize. As for falling apart in FTC, my prediction is that if he makes it there he'll be absolutely gushing about all the moves he pulled, running his mouth a mile a minute going through every little trick he played, "and then I told you I was a construction worker, and I'm not a construction worker!!!" I don't really think he's going to make it that far, though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The Russell Hantz comparisons really are spot on. One of the main things I liked about Russell was during one of the worst rainstorms the show has ever seen (remember Jaison's feet) Russell was laughing and spinning in the rain arms outstretched shouting "Bring it on, whatever makes them weaker makes me stronger". Tony is the same sort of guy. The elements, the starvation, the bugs, all of it is just part of the experience to him. He's laser focused on the game and loving every moment.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Tony isn't as malicious as Russel from what I see. Russel did things because he wanted everyone to know how great he was, Tony does things because he thinks it's pragmatic, fun and/or awesome.

It's a slight distinction but to me it makes a huge difference. Plus he's paranoid as fuuuuck. He got so mad they wrote his name down, he was so offended, that was hilarious to me.

And yeah if he (or anyone) goes into tribal to gloat about how the manipulated and got everyone voted out then he or shoe doesn't deserve to win, if you've seen any of the last 20 seasons you should know this. Shame on anyone who got mad Russel didn't win, he always hosed up the most important part of the game.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 18, 2014

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Russell didn't gloat. That was his problem. Hatch gloated and it worked. Russell tried to play the sympathy card and it was really phony and transparent.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

I don't think Tony has very much in common in with Russell other than both being very active players who want to win by making big moves and controlling the game.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

maniacripper posted:

Tony isn't as malicious as Russel from what I see. Russel did things because he wanted everyone to know how great he was, Tony does things because he thinks it's pragmatic, fun and/or awesome.

Russell isn't Russell as portrayed on the internet. If you ever get a chance to rewatch Samoa it's kind of amazing to see a totally different guy playing a pretty interesting game. The internet has reduced him to fanfiction about the very worst of his last couple weeks on HvV where he was teetering on the edge of a breakdown. The way he's remembered on the internet bears little resemblance to the game he actually played.

Almost all the playing to the cameras and nasty stuff during Samoa was done during confessionals.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
While talking about the little hobbit I came across to this. http://imgur.com/qE4wVxe

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Giodo! posted:

I don't think Tony has very much in common in with Russell other than both being very active players who want to win by making big moves and controlling the game.

Agreed. Sophie Clarke was on the latest RHAP podcast and said that Tony is a guy that has to be on the offensive all the time and would suck at playing defensively. Who knows whether that will keep working but at the least it makes it very entertaining for us viewers.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Tony is Survivor magic. If anyone from this season appears on the next Survivor: All Stars (which hopefully is not far away), Tony has to be their no. 1 pick from this season. Comedy option: have Sarah return as well in the same season. :allears:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Spatula City posted:

Tony is Survivor magic. If anyone from this season appears on the next Survivor: All Stars (which hopefully is not far away), Tony has to be their no. 1 pick from this season. Comedy option: have Sarah return as well in the same season. :allears:

If anything, this season being so great is exactly why we should hope that the next Survivor: All Stars is very far way.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah, I was pretty excited about the potential prospect of a Heroes vs. Villains 2 in Season 30, but I rewatched the first episode of HvV recently and basically everyone is an "iconic" player, most of whom hadn't been back in a while if at all. If another All Stars happened soon, I think it would be severely lacking in that respect - "here's Malcolm for the third time in six seasons! and uh, probably Russell Hantz again." I also feel like there would be a lot more Candice-style "what on earth" choices, including possibly Candice again.

A couple more all-new seasons would bolster the choices for an eventual full-returnee season, and make the inevitable third/fourth(/fifth?) timers seem less tired.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yul Kwon
Todd Herzog
Marty Piombo
Stephen Fishbach
Hayden Moss
Vytas Baskauskas
Troyzan
Rafe Judkins
Shane Powers
Jeff Varner

Denise Stapley
Kim Spradlin
Sophie Clarke
Lisa Whelchel
Shambo
Natalie Bolton
Taj Johnson-George
Lisi "Tighty Whities" Linares
Danni Boatwright
Courtney Marit

Tell me you wouldn't watch that. :colbert:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

BGrifter posted:

Yul Kwon
Todd Herzog
Marty Piombo
Stephen Fishbach
Hayden Moss
Vytas Baskauskas
Troyzan
Rafe Judkins
Shane Powers
Jeff Varner

Denise Stapley
Kim Spradlin
Sophie Clarke
Lisa Whelchel
Shambo
Natalie Bolton
Taj Johnson-George
Lisi "Tighty Whities" Linares
Danni Boatwright
Courtney Marit

Tell me you wouldn't watch that. :colbert:

It's a neat idea, but both Yul and Danni have openly said they won't do it again. I doubt you'd see Todd able to, either.

Needs more Michelle Yi.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's a neat idea, but both Yul and Danni have openly said they won't do it again. I doubt you'd see Todd able to, either.

Needs more Michelle Yi.

Todd has been eager to go back for years, has said it on many occasions. Unless Yul has said something more recent than his interview with Rob C, he said he'd love to come back if he could make it work with his schedule. Danni I just randomly picked off the top of my head, no idea about her enthusiasm for playing again. She'd be pretty replaceable, especially if you open the list up to a multiple time returnee or two.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
They should make a season only with people that were voted of as first or second (maybe third to get enough people together). Call it Survivor: Leper Colony.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
My vision for the rest of this season:

Next episode, the alliance of Tasha and Spencer (with Jeremiah) approaches Kass and Jefra about getting Tony out, saying he's unreliable, unpredictable, and dangerous. Kass and Jefra bite and Tony goes after. After that, Tasha and Spencer meet up with Kass again and convince her that they want to do an all-Brains final three, and that they'll keep Jeremiah around until the final four where they will supposedly drop him, while telling Jeremiah the same thing about Kass. This alliance of four holds until the final four, at which point either Spencer convinces the other two members of the alliance to vote out Tasha or vice versa, leaving Tasha or Spencer left with Kass and Jeremiah as the final three. Nobody likes Kass so she gets no votes, Jeremiah hasn't done a thing the whole game so he gets no votes, Tasha or Spencer win. Spencer is my pick for the winner, he seems to be getting a bit better edit compared to Tasha.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GaussianCopula posted:

They should make a season only with people that were voted of as first or second (maybe third to get enough people together). Call it Survivor: Leper Colony.

When I first found out there was a season titled Redemption Island my immediate thought was a season entirely made up of people whose games ended for some memorable reason, either remarkably stupid on their part or completely out of their hands, getting a chance to redeem themselves. Phillipines kind of took the wind out of that idea though since Penner, Skupin, and Swan were three of the people I had in mind for that. But I still really like the idea of a bunch of people who never really got a chance to play, or who got a really bad hand dealt them, getting a second chance.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

When I first found out there was a season titled Redemption Island my immediate thought was a season entirely made up of people whose games ended for some memorable reason, either remarkably stupid on their part or completely out of their hands, getting a chance to redeem themselves. Phillipines kind of took the wind out of that idea though since Penner, Skupin, and Swan were three of the people I had in mind for that. But I still really like the idea of a bunch of people who never really got a chance to play, or who got a really bad hand dealt them, getting a second chance.

That was the unofficial theme of the favourites side of FvF2, wasn't it? People who had a lot of potential but who didn't get the chance to live up to it their first time around or made a dumb move - Cochran, ~~Brenda~~, Erik, Brandon, Francesca, Andrea, Dawn, Corinne, Malcolm.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, to an extent that definitely seemed to be there. Like I said, between that and the Philippines medievac returnees the idea has kind of been done. The only thing more you could do is exclusively people who went first or second like Francessa who never really got a chance to play at all. But that's a little too gimmicky and small a pool to choose from.

They should just run a couple of more 90-100% newbie seasons and then run an All Stars.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm hoping for more than just a couple of newbie seasons before the next all stars.

What I really want to see is a season where every single castaway is a prospective "Brain tribe" member. It's not even that they all have to be smart (I mean, we've seen pretty clearly this season that not all of the brain tribe members were particularly smart in a Survivor strategy sense), they just need to think that they are smart. Because smart people on Survivor often can't help themselves in overplaying due to a supreme belief in their own intelligence, and a season where almost every player overplays would be a gigantic clusterfuck... and therefore awesome.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Shakugan posted:

I'm hoping for more than just a couple of newbie seasons before the next all stars.

What I really want to see is a season where every single castaway is a prospective "Brain tribe" member. It's not even that they all have to be smart (I mean, we've seen pretty clearly this season that not all of the brain tribe members were particularly smart in a Survivor strategy sense), they just need to think that they are smart. Because smart people on Survivor often can't help themselves in overplaying due to a supreme belief in their own intelligence, and a season where almost every player overplays would be a gigantic clusterfuck... and therefore awesome.

It's because when most people come up with a counterintuitive idea they can recognize it as a bad idea and abandon it, but when people who think they are smart come up with the same idea they convince themselves they have thought of a clever, outside-the-box idea.

That's why I was confused that everyone here and even on the show was so surprised by the Brains making weird moves, since it completely matches all my experiences with people who are told they are smart in real life (i.e. all of academia).

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

mancalamania posted:

It's because when most people come up with a bad, counterintuitive idea they can realize it and abandon the idea, but when people who think they are smart come up with the same idea they convince themselves they have thought of a clever, outside-the-box idea.

That's why I was confused that everyone here and even on the show was so surprised by the Brains making weird moves, since it completely matches all my experiences with people who are told they are smart in real life (i.e. all of academia).

Survivor:Grad Student Edition would be an amazing example. You could divide groups up by discipline, which would create interesting situations (because every discipline seems to mock every other discipline for whatever reason), or by current school, or by alma matter (since that might mean stronger loyalty) etc.

• Locked thread