Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Welp. I feel stupid and figured out how to fix the problem. When I went to enter my pre-order key it canceled out my weekend beta key, but I also didn't complete the process of activating my account by choosing a monthly payment option. So you have to do that to log in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Rad Valtar posted:

I tried adding the people in the OP on the Nexus server to get an invite to the goon guild but it gave me an error everytime, is that still up to date?

I was also wondering if there's any guild around that wants to invite a couple weekend beta testers, cuz I'm running around alone and scared.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So what's the nitty gritty on Engineers? The description is cool but I also worry they're kinda too much at the same time? It's not a 'pet class' right the bots are just extra things to help?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So what's the nitty gritty on Engineers? The description is cool but I also worry they're kinda too much at the same time? It's not a 'pet class' right the bots are just extra things to help?

They definitely seem like just extra things to help. I wouldn't say they've been a made or break thing. Engineers also seem rather tank-y (which makes sense, given the roles they can fill) because someone had started pocket healing me in the first BG and I was just taking a ridiculous amount of punishment without really worrying about it. Also top kills, top damage, top damage taken, and healing received. :v:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

dreffen posted:

Are classes separated by zones or something? Like, I can see a friend but he's in another part of the world.

Classes aren't, but there are two main newbie zones - Drakin and Chua start on Crimson Isle by default, Mechari and Humans (Dominion) in another, Granok and Humans (Exile) in one zone, Mordresh and Aurin in another.

If you and your friend want to start in the same zones, though, you can do that. At the end of the tutorial, after you talk to the NPC that is going to send you to Nexus, you get an alternate objective that you can pursue instead. You can go to another races shuttle and take it to go to their newbie zone instead. Mechari can take the shuttle behind Mondo Zax to start in Crimson Isle.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

The body shapes are super unrealistic, exaggerated, and cartoony but so is the rest of the game so it doesn't really bother me.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Classes aren't, but there are two main newbie zones - Drakin and Chua start on Crimson Isle by default, Mechari and Humans (Dominion) in another, Granok and Humans (Exile) in one zone, Mordresh and Aurin in another.

If you and your friend want to start in the same zones, though, you can do that. At the end of the tutorial, after you talk to the NPC that is going to send you to Nexus, you get an alternate objective that you can pursue instead. You can go to another races shuttle and take it to go to their newbie zone instead. Mechari can take the shuttle behind Mondo Zax to start in Crimson Isle.

Ah yeah this is something we learned too late but it's not the worst thing in the world! Just means some minor coordination has to happen.

Is there any guild on the Exile side on Nexus right now?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
My engineer is in the Exile guild, but unfortunately I joined an Adventure, crashed, and now crash every time I try to log into that character. Whelp!

If anybody is around level 10 on Exile, I'm playing my Medic. Send a tell to ThrillerDance.

Manifest Dynasty fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 19, 2014

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002
Game looks amazing with max view distance:

Looking stylish as gently caress with a pink hoverboard.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Strategy posted:

Loving the beard/hair combo.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Well spent an hour or so on each class and so far I like the medic the most. The abilities feel impactful and it's fun aiming with shapes. The warrior was decent but all the attacks felt like I was whiffing at air and not actually connecting with anything. I probably liked the esper the least because you can't move and shoot with your basic ability.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

I can't decide between Medic and Esper and this poo poo happens with every loving MMO.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Strategy posted:

Where in the world did you get the pink hoverboard?

Also wow the game does look really nice with max view distance.

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002

dreffen posted:

Where in the world did you get the pink hoverboard?

Closed beta level 10 mount.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I am loving this game. Usually I don't play betas for that long and don't try and level up my dude much as to not spoil it for actual release, but something about this game makes that different. I've been playing all day, am at level 11, and want to get to beta cap. Really great...I'm right on the verge of pre-ordering.

InFlames235 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 19, 2014

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Strategy posted:

Closed beta level 10 mount.

Oh that's a shame. No way for a weekender like me to get it, then?

I'm actually kind of enjoying my time with the game too so far.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Scrounged up a weekender key and downloaded the game. Hitting up Dominion with my ~Anime Princess~ DrSwag. Let's see how this game is.

Edit: looks like none of the folks in the OP are on at the moment. I'll send a mail to Tsargbot, but if anyone has invite privilages to Wildstar HipHop I'd much appreciate it.

Edit Edit: I was dumb and on the wrong server

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 19, 2014

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Logged in just before to see they extended the weekend by another day. Dunno why, but that's cool with me.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Does this game feature seamless transition between zones like WoW or is it just zones that are connected via teleporters/some other stuff?

Played it today for the first time up to level 4 and I have to say I'm not sold. It's pretty much your generic mmo with regards to quests etc. with the "innovation" being this area of effect stuff. The UI made a really cluttered impression to me with stuff popping up everywhere.

Does the combat become more involved than spamming 2-3 abilities later on? (I hope so)

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Does this game feature seamless transition between zones like WoW or is it just zones that are connected via teleporters/some other stuff?

Does the combat become more involved than spamming 2-3 abilities later on? (I hope so)

Seamless between adjacent zones (most do have narrow valley connections though, like WoW). Transport spaceships between continents (teleports you instantly, no "riding" it).

Yes.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Incidentally, I love the taxi-cab chatter-bot.

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

Dodgeball posted:

Incidentally, I love the taxi-cab chatter-bot.

In the beta early this year, he was horrendous. You would hear him whenever *anyone* in your area was using him. There was a constant stream of taxibot chatter, and it was awful. Ended up turning voices off until it was fixed.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

Yes, it does. Although there are also some underground/indoor places that you go into by right clicking something which will teleport you, but without loading. I think it's because sometimes they cheat a bit and have indoor areas whose scale or shape wouldn't actually fit in the actual location they are supposed to be.
They do also have indoor areas and caverns that connect with the outdoors seamlessly like in wow.

quote:

Played it today for the first time up to level 4 and I have to say I'm not sold. It's pretty much your generic mmo with regards to quests etc. with the "innovation" being this area of effect stuff. The UI made a really cluttered impression to me with stuff popping up everywhere.

Yes. The game gives a very by the number, boring MMO vibe at lower levels. I'm told it gets much better at higher levels in PvE. I wouldn't know, I only do BGs once I'm level 6. The PvP is good anyway.

I think they decided to focus their efforts on higher level content which is important for player retention, rather than on the tutorial content which is "only" important for initial sales. It may actually work out as even if a lot of people are going to give a miss on the game because the starting areas are boring, they may give the game a second chance once word of the mouth says it's actually good later on.
It may also avoid the perverse effect of having spectacular starting areas with lots of scripted event and storytelling where your "reward" for completing it is to be dropped into content that have received much less polish and attention.

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 19, 2014

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm a huge loving moron. I didn't realize pre-ordering entitled you to beta. I had pre-purchased but didn't even bother activating yet to get the client. Oh well, better late than never?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Minsky posted:

I can't decide between Medic and Esper and this poo poo happens with every loving MMO.

I'm playing medic right now and I feel like since we have to aim our heals it could be a very frustrating class to play properly.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
Putting aside concerns of a 40 man raiding endgame can somebody shine some knowledge on a few of my other concerns I had:

1. How is the optimization now? I know they're working on SLI integration but does it run any better on high end cards than it used too? I play at 2560x1600 and even with monster video cards couldn't get a steady 60FPS in the game.

2. Has the new UI fixed the 6pt font quest text you were forced to read in tiny little windows? Do the NPC still talk to you but say different things than are in their chat box?

3. Has deadlock been integrated into the base game yet? If not have they made any comment on it?

I don't have the game currently installed so figured it would be quicker to ask than to re-download and test this weekend.

Thanks!

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

There are plenty of spiders!
The new animation for Warriors' Power Strikes looks great.

All being said, I think I'm going for Spellslinger on release. The revisions to their abilities and the Surge system makes them really reactive and fun to play and the other classes feel ruined to me now.

Espers need to stay still too long, stalkers and their single-target stuff feels inadequate, warriors still feel anemic...

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Rylek posted:

Putting aside concerns of a 40 man raiding endgame can somebody shine some knowledge on a few of my other concerns I had:

1. How is the optimization now? I know they're working on SLI integration but does it run any better on high end cards than it used too? I play at 2560x1600 and even with monster video cards couldn't get a steady 60FPS in the game.

2. Has the new UI fixed the 6pt font quest text you were forced to read in tiny little windows? Do the NPC still talk to you but say different things than are in their chat box?

3. Has deadlock been integrated into the base game yet? If not have they made any comment on it?

I don't have the game currently installed so figured it would be quicker to ask than to re-download and test this weekend.

Thanks!

From my experience it still runs like butt on my 7950.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game is genuinely funny. The simulation of the other factors being huge stereotypes had me rolling.

That said I experienced a CTD using the hidden 64 bit client, and now hwen I try to open it it says Wildstar.exe doesn't exist :v:.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
There anyone online to guild invite? (Dominion)

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
If there are amicable solutions to the following complaints, you are super welcome to call me a bad name and then explain how I can remedy them.

The combat is so tedious in this game. It rests between WoW's auto-attack and TERA's real-time combat, but has neither's appeal. If I could remap my basic attack to the left mouse button, it'd feel a lot more organic. I honestly don't know why more developers don't just steal TERA's combat.

I ordered the deluxe edition but my time with this beta weekend has seriously dampened my enthusiasm for this game. I like the art and the characters and the story, but everything else is just so middling or unnecessarily tedious. I mean, what's the deal with the slot machine rewards? It doesn't shatter any illusions about random drops. Maybe if the slot machine was more visually appealing than three blinking boxes, I'd find it excusable. But for real; just dump the item into my inventory without fanfare. It's unnecessary.

Why, when choosing quest rewards, would they even give me the choice to choose gear my character cannot use? If I wanted to choose non-character gear just to sell it, wouldn't it be easier on everyone if they just gave me the money right then and there? And if I'm choosing non-character gear to give it to another character, wouldn't it be out of level for that character, or wouldn't I be doing the exact same quest with that character and would then choose that gear?

Why are we still bothering with vendor trash? Is there any sort of tactical or challenging aspect to cluttering my inventory? And if we're still going to have vendor trash, why isn't there a Sell Junk button at vendors, which is something every other MMO has implemented thus far?

Why is quest tracking so lovely? The onscreen hologram arrow is neat, I guess, but why not put an indicator on the minimap so I don't have to keep refreshing the hologram arrow? Or hell, just keep the stupid arrow on screen. Make it something I can toggle.

I look at Guild Wars 2, and they do world events so much better. I look at TERA, and the combat is crisp and kinetic. SWTOR actually manages to give your character a personality and history, so you're willing to slog through WoW-standard bear butt mayhem.

I'm getting NONE of that from Wildstar. And hell, the game's big draw - the Saturday morning space-cartoon visuals and slapstick - is barely on display here. I know it's still considered beta, but there are missing sound effects and low-detail models and good christ this thing slogs on my machine whereas Guild Wars 2 remains lush and a rigid 60fps.

I'm pretty sure the response to all this is WELL WHY DON'T YOU GO PLAY GW2/TERA/SWTOR YOU LIKE 'EM SO drat MUCH but I'm hoping by the time the end of May rolls around, there will be some major changes and updates to this game that'll make me fell WAY less stupid for plunking down for the deluxe edition.

I'll give them this: they've got a good marketing team.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Rylek posted:

2. Brand new everything with this patch.
2a. Yes, quests are not fully voiced, so NPCs do say random things.
3. No, and it likely won't be. It's too polarizing of a feature; there are plenty of people who don't like it (since the game wasn't built for it) as much as those who do. We're leaving in the lua code for it so people can continue making cooler versions of the addon though. Not sure why the fact that it's not integrated would be a dealbreaker for you, though. Just install the addon.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I agree about quest tracking. Having to keep slamming on the quest name sucks. What is deadlock?

tjume
Feb 8, 2009

Dr VideoGames 0.299 posted:

Why, when choosing quest rewards, would they even give me the choice to choose gear my character cannot use?
Maybe you want one of the other rewards for your costume or want to salvage for different materials (metal, leather, cloth)?

Why are we still bothering with vendor trash? Is there any sort of tactical or challenging aspect to cluttering my inventory?
I think the main reason for trash loot in MMOs is to make the life of botters a bit harder by filling up their inventory.

fujifisher
Sep 3, 2006

Hi there!

Why are we still bothering with vendor trash? Is there any sort of tactical or challenging aspect to cluttering my inventory? And if we're still going to have vendor trash, why isn't there a Sell Junk button at vendors, which is something every other MMO has implemented thus far?
I agree that it should be implemented into the game, but for right now there's an addon for this: http://www.curse.com/ws-addons/wildstar/220002-junkit

Why is quest tracking so lovely? The onscreen hologram arrow is neat, I guess, but why not put an indicator on the minimap so I don't have to keep refreshing the hologram arrow? Or hell, just keep the stupid arrow on screen. Make it something I can toggle.
I agree with this as well. One thing that's been really annoying me about quests is that when you open up the main map with "M", you can't tell the difference between quests you already have from NPC's and quests you haven't gotten yet, they're all just the yellow exclamation marks. This has led to me running around trying to pick up quests I already have. However on the minimap when you accept a quest it turns into that grey check mark. Why can't we have the same thing on the main map?

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

Pryce posted:

2. Brand new everything with this patch.
2a. Yes, quests are not fully voiced, so NPCs do say random things.
3. No, and it likely won't be. It's too polarizing of a feature; there are plenty of people who don't like it (since the game wasn't built for it) as much as those who do. We're leaving in the lua code for it so people can continue making cooler versions of the addon though. Not sure why the fact that it's not integrated would be a dealbreaker for you, though. Just install the addon.

I appreciate the answers Pryce. As to the Deadlock mod I'm fine using the addon but the absolute biggest issue with it is the lack of ability to bind actions to the L/R mousebuttons. Is this something that is going to be unlocked so the mod can achieve it's 'final form'? If that has already happened then forgive the question since I haven't been keeping up with stuff recently.

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.

big mean giraffe posted:

From my experience it still runs like butt on my 7950.

The game runs fantastic on my 7970 but it does turn my GPU fans into some harrier jet engine sounding motherfuckers

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Apparently the Mordesh have some bizarre armor model issues and the new body types expose it severely.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 19, 2014

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

tjume posted:

Maybe you want one of the other rewards for your costume or want to salvage for different materials (metal, leather, cloth)?

I thought of this as a third possible reason you would choose non-character gear, but then I am reminded of how Lord of the Rings Online and Guild Wars 2 handle vanity gear. The former is more laudable than the second, but both are preferable methods.

Inasfar as salvaging, there's no indicator showing what materials are to be gained by salvaging the non-character gear, which adds another layer of tedium from having to look it up online.

edit: I just realized that there are still many UI issues - I'm judging from the zone chat and my own experiences, so if there is in fact a UI feature that shows what mats that gear will break down into, I apologize and will seek a solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I see women aren't the only ones capable of storing their organs in extradimensional space anymore!

Not super keen on a lot of the new body type options - did we really need even bigger boobs on even skinnier frames? - but it's something, I suppose.

• Locked thread