Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fast Luck posted:

You can't even see Samus. When you jump the screen just moves instead of you seeing anything jumping. Now I've never played a FPS before and don't feel like starting. Wait that's not true, I played Jurassic Park on SNES. But nevertheless.

How can you not have played a first person perspective game at some point in the last twenty years? Are you a unicorn?

Fast Luck posted:

Video games are for children and movies are mostly bad.

Let me tell you about some little pieces of art called Gone Home and Crash... *pushes glasses up nose*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Fast Luck posted:

How many hours is the Mad Men complete series?

Too many.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuYUoLM8BNA

This serves both as a response to this post and a capstone to this entire slapfight.

Go outside! Blow the stink off you!

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Here is the first trailer for Manhattan, a 13-episode period drama about the Manhattan Project that is set to debut on WGN this summer. It's written and created by a Masters of Sex writer, and it shows. I am SO on board, so let's hope it won't suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7WQOFVEuRA

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Finally, someone is looking at the true human toll of the Manhattan Project: Oppenheimer's strained marriage.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

The real atomic bomb is love.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Seriously though I don't know how anyone can say "Movies are mostly bad" with a straight face

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Sturgeon's law.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Joramun posted:

Sturgeon's law.

Yeah but that's still dishonest because it's not a problem specific in any way to movies.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah but that's still dishonest because it's not a problem specific in any way to movies.

It kinda is, actually. Other mediums are better at letting the consumer filter out the bad. A bookstore will have thousands of books. Your cable package has hundreds of channels, on demand and access to other streaming services. An iPod can contain hundreds of thousands of songs, all available to you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. But a movie theater will have maybe ten movies playing at any given time. If just one of those movies is "good," then your only choice is to watch that one movie or not go to the theater at all. Further, once you've watched it, then there will be zero good movies left to see until a new "good" movie is released.

Its also worth comparing your choices at the movie with those of other media. If a TV show is bad, you can change channels. If a song is bad, you can skip it. The only choice you have when confronted with a bad movie is to walk out. Thus quality matters a whole helluva lot more when it comes to movies than it does for any other medium.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

Seriously though I don't know how anyone can say "Movies are mostly bad" with a straight face

Gigli ruined movies. Forever.

smg77 fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 19, 2014

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

When Roger Ebert died, so too did the knowledge to tell what is a good movie and what is not.

Now, movies just are.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of videogames and TV shows, I just finished South Park: The Stick of Truth and its definitely a must play for South Park fans, it basically plays out like a bunch of episodes.

I played through it recently too, and it was surprisingly drat good. Legitimately funny, enjoyable to play with more interactivity than your standard turn based rpg, the perfect length, and story beats that flowed well together with nice surprises along the way (not that theres like an intricate plot to spoiler, but going in totally blind resulted in some great loving moments where the situations alone made me laugh really hard).

I stopped regularly watching South Park ages ago. And for the longest time I only ended up checking out new episodes when people went apeshit over stuff like Imaginationland or Black Friday, but those always ended up being the same phoned in "yep you sure made this episode in 6 days" crap plus epic references without any real humor, so I kept putting other episodes off. But I recently saw "World War Zimmerman," "Free Willzyx" and a handful of other new episodes that were easily some of funniest poo poo they've done so I gave the game a shot.

I'd go further and even recommend the game to anyone who has ever liked the show (or their sense of humor) even if they don't anymore. Its sort of like with Book of Mormon, Cannibal the Musical, and the best episodes.... if Trey & Matt really care about a project they're gonna put their A-game on and produce something really entertaining.

I borrowed it from a friend, so I don't know if I'd recommend paying the full $60 depending on your interest and game backlog, but I probably wouldn't have regretted it at that price and would say its a steal when it drops around 30 or even 40. But yeah again... go in as blind as you possibly can. The only thing I knew about was the scene that got censored for the german and japanese versions or some poo poo and even that I wish I hadn't known about because I probably would have been all ROFLMAO instead of just LMAO.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't know a single person who owns a Wii U, but I know a few who have a 3DS.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

"My mom blew up the church that's costing you your Presidency." -- a line just uttered on Scandal, unironically, without anybody batting a single eyelash.

I don't understand how this show can be so profoundly ridiculous, yet ridiculously profound at the same time.

It's the most nihilistic show on TV, yet cuts to the truth of the human condition with more precision and veracity than any other around. It's like Team America mixed with No Country For Old Men. Created by a queen of sappy romantic medical dramas, and yet it's the most shocking and brutal (both physically and psychologically) show this side of Hannibal. A walking conundrum in every respect. In on its own joke, but so completely above it the joke doesn't even matter anymore.

The work of a mad genius who stared too long into the Sun, got up, declared there was never a Sun in the first place, and then crowned herself God and Devil at once.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Scandal is good but let's not pretend it's anything other than an evening soap.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

It kinda is, actually. Other mediums are better at letting the consumer filter out the bad. A bookstore will have thousands of books. Your cable package has hundreds of channels, on demand and access to other streaming services. An iPod can contain hundreds of thousands of songs, all available to you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. But a movie theater will have maybe ten movies playing at any given time. If just one of those movies is "good," then your only choice is to watch that one movie or not go to the theater at all. Further, once you've watched it, then there will be zero good movies left to see until a new "good" movie is released.

Its also worth comparing your choices at the movie with those of other media. If a TV show is bad, you can change channels. If a song is bad, you can skip it. The only choice you have when confronted with a bad movie is to walk out. Thus quality matters a whole helluva lot more when it comes to movies than it does for any other medium.

So how is it back in 2003 before Netflix was a thing?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Occupation posted:

I've been playing ffxiii-2

In it the main character resolves a closed time loop where a boss she is fighting endlessly respawns because it's able to go back in time and ensure its own creation by controlling the AI that creates it by yelling SO LOUD the yell travels back in loving time and stops the creator of the AI, who is also a close friend of hers, from ever creating the AI that creates the boss in the first place

Video games are p rad guys

I don't understand how you people have this much free time. Is everyone in college here?

EDIT: Did Masters of Sex finish its season? Was holding off on watching it until the season finished/a hungover Sunday.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Last night's Whose Line guest was awesome. I'm glad they're getting more than just CW folks promoting shows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joramun posted:

Here is the first trailer for Manhattan, a 13-episode period drama about the Manhattan Project that is set to debut on WGN this summer. It's written and created by a Masters of Sex writer, and it shows. I am SO on board, so let's hope it won't suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7WQOFVEuRA

I would rather have a TV show about The Manhattan Projects, the comic book by Jonathan Hickman. Its about how the atom bomb project was just an excuse for a secret branch of the US government to collect scientists to do some REAL science. In it, the man we know as Robert Oppenheimer is actually his insane twin brother Joseph, who killed and devoured Robert in order to gain his knowledge. Enrico Fermi is an alien sent to observe Earth's scientists and eventually take over if they developed certain technologies. Harry Daghlian wasn't killed by the Demon Core but instead turned into a radioactive skeleton man. And Wernher Von Braun is a cyborg.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Shageletic posted:

I don't understand how you people have this much free time. Is everyone in college here?

EDIT: Did Masters of Sex finish its season? Was holding off on watching it until the season finished/a hungover Sunday.
This is SomethingAwful, I'm sure 90% of goons are college dropouts and self made spergs who work minimum wage jobs.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Yoshifan823 posted:

So how is it back in 2003 before Netflix was a thing?

:sigh:

a) For the purposes of the discussion I considered Netflix TV.
b) Netflix very rarely gets good new movies. Their latest releases section look like a who's who of the worst B Movies of the last year (Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters & Hansel & Gretel Get Baked, anyone?).
c) The argument that movies are getting worse isn't diminished by good pre-existing movies, but strengthened.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

b) Netflix very rarely gets good new movies. Their latest releases section look like a who's who of the worst B Movies of the last year (Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters & Hansel & Gretel Get Baked, anyone?).
c) The argument that movies are getting worse isn't diminished by good pre-existing movies, but strengthened.

Not to agree too much with Irish Joe, but I can't think of much reason I keep netflix aside from waiting for OITNB season 2 and laziness. I think I've watched all they have that I want to.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Amazon Prime seems like the service more for recent movies if you're willing to spend extra money to rent them. My local cable also has decent On Demand options and then there's Redbox. Either way its seems a little disingenuous to say the movie going experience begins and ends with one local cineplex. I'm generally content waiting six months and catching movies on cable or a rental/streaming service. I don't think that makes me any less of a fan of movies any more than waiting a year to "binge" a TV show season on Netflix makes me less a fan of TV.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Any opinions on Bletchley Circle, which Netflix has been recommending to me? The synopsis sounds interesting--a period piece about four women who worked as codebreakers at Bletchley, applying their skills to track down a killer.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

So where do plays and musicals that you have to go see in an actual theatre rank on your Chicken Little "The Sky Is Falling" scale?

Also, there are plenty of good, recent movies on Netflix. Off the top of my head I know that Short Term 12, Frances Ha and The Act of Killing are all on Netflix, and were all fantastic movies released in the past year. Not to mention that you're forgetting just going out and buying the movie, or renting it on iTunes/VOD or whatever, especially because the line between theatrical release and home release is slowly blurring for all but the biggest blockbusters.

You're treating movies as if the only way to watch them is in the theater, which is untrue. Sure some movies play better in the theatre, but there are plenty where the method of watching doesn't much change them. Hell, I liked both Anchorman 2 and Wolf of Wall Street more on my TV than in theatres.

Edit: also, it seems you're conflating volume with quality. There exist far fewer movies than books or music, because it takes far, far more effort to make a movie than a book or album. The percentage of poo poo-to-good probably doesn't change too much no matter what medium you're talking about, there are just less movies overall. And that's again not taking into account movies that have smaller distributors that only get their movies into smaller theatres in bigger cities. They still exist, and if you're willing to take the time to look, you can find them. You're correct that books and music are easily able to disseminate quickly, but that has to do with their relative ease of making and small data footprint. It's only recently that streaming movies has been something that people with an average internet connection can do, whereas something like Napster existed 15 years ago.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 19, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Irish Joe posted:

Finally, someone is looking at the true human toll of the Manhattan Project: Oppenheimer's strained marriage.

It just needs Richard Feynman as the safe-cracking wiseacre comic relief.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The personal issues in the Manhattan Project are actually really interesting. The government built three towns from nothing, kept their purposes secret even from many of the people living there, and relocated hundreds of people. At least one of these towns, Hanford, is now completely empty - the entire town was evacuated when the facility was shut down. People who grew up there can never go back to their home town. There's a lot of fascinating stuff related to the Project that isn't the bombs themselves.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Welp, it didn't take long for the Fargo thread to turn to poo poo. Now Billy Bob Thorton is Literally the Devil or maybe a living incarnation of the Trickster archetype? Depressing.

I got around to watching the FARGO pilot and fuckin lol at someone being dumb enough to miss BBT being a preternatural trickster then doubling down by whining about it here without realizing they're on the idiot side of the equation.

Like drat. Its not about the the fucker literally growing horns and trading souls for wishes or some poo poo in the exact same way this isn't some 3 dimensional character with an elaborate backstory and complex feelings. The post about BBT being Chiguh is all you need to wrap your head around... forces unbound by the same rules governing other characters except this cat is purely driven by mischief. Mother fucker gonna teleport with film magic if the mother fucker needs to teleport same as hes gonna call up a kid and convince him to kill his brother with the idea daddy didnt love him. Rules aint the same with chaos to gain.

go watch some coen brothers, ya chumps. or like read a book.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

lelandjs posted:

It depends and sometimes varies in show. There's an episode of Community where all the main characters had Verizon HTC phones (a couple of them had the Incredible 2) which was actually kinda out of character for Jeff, whose attachment to his Blackberry was an aspect of the character. But on the Moo Moo Beanz episode they all had different phones; if I had to guess, I'd say the actors just used their own phones for the episode.

In Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Sam Jackson had an HTC One and Robert Redford had a Nexus 5, both phones I think they own IRL.

Then there's a show like Arrow, where they're very obviously getting paid poo poo tons of money for placement (Felicity's Lenovo computers and her Surface Pro tablet) but only one character has a Windows Phone (Roy) and the rest of them have generic Android devices (Galaxy S 2s, I think).

...Recognizing gadgets is kinda my thing, okay? :spergin:

Fast Luck posted:

Did anyone buy the Wii U?
More than have bought Xbox Ones.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oELSCbf11sA

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pretty sure that's a Galaxy S 2 (that's a very Samsung speaker grill) but they've added some generic user interface on top of it (that still manages to be reminiscent of TouchWiz thanks to the cartoony looking icons and colors in the status bar). They layout is Windows Phone/iOS (cell signal on the left) but the icon on the search bar is straight from Android.

About 98% of the time they show a cellphone screen on a show it's something thrown together in post. I think there's been a couple of instances on Person of Interest where they actually appeared to be using an actual app on the phone, and even then it was blatantly obvious that someone had just thrown together a program that would launch a video when the actor hit a button. That said, Person of Interest is usually very guilty of making bad mock phone screens, with iOS notifications appearing over what are very clearly supposed to be Android apps.

The last show I remember that accurately showed someone using a phone was House of Cards and even then it was to show someone getting a text message, which wouldn't be worth the cost of adding in in post.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 20, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Orphan Black returned tonight and picked up right where it left off. That final reveal was my best moment of TV so far in 2014 and it's gonna be hard to beat.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Rarity posted:

Orphan Black returned tonight and picked up right where it left off. That final reveal was my best moment of TV so far in 2014 and it's gonna be hard to beat.

Didn't people say the exact same thing about the end of episode 1 of House of Cards season two?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CaptainHollywood posted:

Didn't people say the exact same thing about the end of episode 1 of House of Cards season two?

Yeah but this one really was awesome.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

CaptainHollywood posted:

The final reveal of the season premiere of popular show is always the most exciting thing of the year. Until the next popular show starts its season again.

Shageletic posted:

What? It's a video game. You're in a forum where people are probably watching hours upon hours of tv. People can put the same time into video games too.
e:You're(I assume) also talking about marathoning a tv series. How can you have that much time?

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 20, 2014

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rarity posted:

So, you haven't been watching Hannibal

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

So, you haven't been watching Hannibal

The end of last week's episode was loving crazy, especially because it shows that you can't trust the books to keep characters safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

CaptainHollywood posted:

I don't recall anyone saying it was a great moment in House of Cards. It was just a complete shock.

• Locked thread