Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If the pilot was a kid, it would be old enough to start getting jokes on the show by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ruddiger posted:

James RR Urbaniak

Don't go blaming the voice actor for the writer/producers not being able to get their poo poo together.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really want them to release season 5 in Canada, its stupidly expensive. I got season 4 for 25bux but last time I looked at Amazon season 5 was $50 Canada as an import.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Entropic posted:

Don't go blaming the voice actor for the writer/producers not being able to get their poo poo together.

To be fair, it's usually only Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick writing, producing, and directing the episodes, and they work other jobs while they're writing up the next season. I would rather have each season take a couple of years to come out than to have them burn out and the show turn to poo poo.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

They're all out of order, just like the season 1 episodes.

A first time watcher of this show is going to be seriously confused then.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

notZaar posted:

A first time watcher of this show is going to be seriously confused then.

Yeah, for most season 1-2 episodes order's not a huge deal, though Cremation Creek 1 and 2 are in their correct place at the end of season 2. 3 is way more narrative than 1 and 2, though, so I hope they don't screw that up again.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, for most season 1-2 episodes order's not a huge deal, though Cremation Creek 1 and 2 are in their correct place at the end of season 2. 3 is way more narrative than 1 and 2, though, so I hope they don't screw that up again.

I'm sure by 2017 the netflix people will "get it"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Preem Palver posted:

To be fair, it's usually only Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick writing, producing, and directing the episodes, and they work other jobs while they're writing up the next season. I would rather have each season take a couple of years to come out than to have them burn out and the show turn to poo poo.
I'm pretty sure all they do is make Venture Brothers. What other jobs have you heard about?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Preem Palver posted:

This is their decision though, right? To me, they're just being bottlenecks for no real good reason. It's not like there are no other talented people they could find to help. They're choosing not to delegate.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LividLiquid posted:

I'm pretty sure all they do is make Venture Brothers. What other jobs have you heard about?

Doc writes, and is in a band along with all of his other art work. I'd imagine more.

Publik Jackson does some voice stuff for AS other than VB, per wikipedia.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

PostNouveau posted:

This is their decision though, right? To me, they're just being bottlenecks for no real good reason. It's not like there are no other talented people they could find to help. They're choosing not to delegate.

And yet Venture Brothers has been consistently good, so why knock on it? :colbert:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, they can take as long as they drat well please between seasons if the quality remains.

Keep in mind that they write this show to make themselves laugh. They don't craft jokes for the viewers, they do it to amuse themselves. No collaboration with other writers would be able to replicate that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shindragon posted:

And yet Venture Brothers has been consistently good, so why knock on it? :colbert:

Because it takes forever for them to produce new episodes. I'm definitely not knocking the quality.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pope Guilty posted:

You do kinda need the first episode of season 2 to be...the first episode of season 2.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
As a longtime fan, Dan Harmon isn't making Residents or Iggy Pop references, but his is doing two different shows concurrently...

That two years between seasons is pretty brutal.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sash! posted:

You do kinda need the first episode of season 2 to be...the first episode of season 2.

Both for the plot and because that opening is fantastic.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mclast posted:

As a longtime fan, Dan Harmon isn't making Residents or Iggy Pop references, but his is doing two different shows concurrently...

That two years between seasons is pretty brutal.

Yeah, he's exactly who I was thinking of. Not only does everything get out on time, but it's all very obviously Dan Harmon shows. Timelines and creative control are not mutually exclusive.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Dan Harmon also has much larger production crews, especially writers, working on Community and Rick and Morty. It's a lot easier to pump out episodes when you have a larger budget and a full writing team that you oversee versus two dudes writing to amuse themselves on a shoestring budget.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Venture Bros. is pretty near perfect and I don't want anything to change if it means that it might be less than what it currently is. I'll gladly wait multiple years for television that's as high quality as season five was.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Preem Palver posted:

Dan Harmon also has much larger production crews, especially writers, working on Community and Rick and Morty. It's a lot easier to pump out episodes when you have a larger budget and a full writing team that you oversee versus two dudes writing to amuse themselves on a shoestring budget.

One of Dan Harmon's shows is on the same network, although I guess we haven't seen if it can deliver a second season on time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

PostNouveau posted:

Timelines and creative control are not mutually exclusive.

I want to say yes, but...

I wouldn't call what Doc and Publick do "creative control." That would imply that they are exerting some sort of vision over what they are doing. They are two guys sitting around playing with their toys (the characters) and doing poo poo they find funny, to hell what anyone else things. I'm just not convinced you can put a writing team to work with the same effect. Yes, Dan Harmon exerts tons of creative control and his stuff has his distinct voice even though it's done by a team. But when you listen to their commentaries, you get the distinct impression that nothing they do is that formalized. I just don't expect they can give a concept outline to someone else and have them run with it to write jokes. That's just not the way their process works.

That's also why a lot of their references are so obscure. It's not that they are trying and working hard to find the most obscure references to put in the episodes, it's just stuff that's in their own wheelhouse and they really don't give a flying gently caress if anyone else gets it or not. They would completely (and probably have) put in a private joke that's just between each other that puts them into fits of laughter but no one else would even bat an eye at.

That's the charm of the show and if waiting 18-20 months between episodes is the price to pay to ensure that nothing messes with the secret sauce, then that's the way it has to be.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The Venture Brothers is the most auteur show on TV besides Louie. Don't mess with the formula.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I think they should spend their entire budget one season on getting a real Led Zeppelin song in an episode.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

NienNunb posted:

I think they should spend their entire budget one season on getting a real Led Zeppelin song in an episode.

I am pretty sure that would not be enough.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure that would not be enough.

If they dedicated to performing every episode with sock puppets maybe. It would be worth it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

NienNunb posted:

If they dedicated to performing every episode with sock puppets maybe. It would be worth it.

I think that it would be more like they would have to do the next 4 seasons with sock puppets. Led Zeppelin is notoriously expensive and hard to get the rights.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I think that it would be more like they would have to do the next 4 seasons with sock puppets. Led Zeppelin is notoriously expensive and hard to get the rights.

Besides which, it's jock rock.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Pope Guilty posted:

Besides which, it's jock rock.

It's all about love, and longing!

Yes, and hobbits too.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Didn't they blow like 30% of the budget on a Rozalla song, which has to be something like $17 to license?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
According to The Venture Brothers wiki1/8th of the episodes budget was used to license the Aquagen remix of Rozalla's "Everybody's Free (To Feel Good)"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RandomPauI posted:

According to The Venture Brothers wiki1/8th of the episodes budget was used to license the Aquagen remix of Rozalla's "Everybody's Free (To Feel Good)"

And I'm just guessing here, but they had originally animated it to a different song assuming they'd never get budget approval for that one, but then at the last minute it came through, and it was perfect, but in order to make it work they had to speed up the animation a whole bunch :smith:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Data Graham posted:

And I'm just guessing here, but they had originally animated it to a different song assuming they'd never get budget approval for that one, but then at the last minute it came through, and it was perfect, but in order to make it work they had to speed up the animation a whole bunch :smith:

I think it's the other way around: they animated it to Rozalla assuming that they'd replace it with something cheaper, but they liked the song they chose too much.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Honestly though, that whole montage of Brock chasing down Rusty and the scene where he drags him out of the rave, it all just spewed "show don't tell"(hurr) style insights into Rusty and is still so memorable. After a first season where the show could have easily been written off as "Oh it's a just Johnny Quest parody", it came back strong.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still not sure if that whole sequence was a hallucination and Rusty was at the rave the whole time, but it's funny either way.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

I remember wondering how I missed Escape to the House of Mummies Part I when part II aired. I'm guessing people are going to be wondering the same with netflix.

Also, while I want more Venture Bros, messing with the formula is a sure way for it to end up bad. Unless Ben Edlund wants to chip in because I loved the animated Tick, and they seem to like writing with him every once in a while.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

They really capture the experience of turning on some random cartoon and having it be a "part 2".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

revolther posted:

Honestly though, that whole montage of Brock chasing down Rusty and the scene where he drags him out of the rave, it all just spewed "show don't tell"(hurr) style insights into Rusty and is still so memorable. After a first season where the show could have easily been written off as "Oh it's a just Johnny Quest parody", it came back strong.

For me, the weird part is looking at it from after having watched the episode and realizing that Doc is running away from his life in general, not because of any grief over Hank and Dean.

(Doc Orpheus is still completely awesome, even in retrospect. :allears:)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
What makes that episode the best is people guessing if Dean/Hank were clones because of the line at the end of season one when Rusty/Brock see their charred corpses from that wreck. The music montage is my favorite as others as said. It's totally great how you realize it's Rusty being an rear end in a top hat and wants to not deal with life. Plus we got the Hank/Dean death montage which was goddamn hilarious. Probably my favorite is Dean running with scissors. He would so do that.

My favorite line from Doctor O is WHOSE your grief counsel? MOTHER TERESA?!

Plus Season 2 was great because we see that Brock does really care for Hank and Dean.

Brock: Hank NOO it's suicide!
Hank: Then I'll see you in heck! aaaaaaaaaargh
Rusty: Thank goodness Hank is going to save us all. :geno:
Brock: :(
Rusty: Oh what are you so worried about, I can make another one.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 20, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I missed the post-credits scenes when I first saw season 1, I think the season 2 premier worked better without knowing they were clones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Cacafuego posted:

I remember wondering how I missed Escape to the House of Mummies Part I when part II aired. I'm guessing people are going to be wondering the same with netflix.

Also, while I want more Venture Bros, messing with the formula is a sure way for it to end up bad. Unless Ben Edlund wants to chip in because I loved the animated Tick, and they seem to like writing with him every once in a while.

I've been holding out hope that they just use Grover Cleveland's time machine to get a bunch of Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick working on each season at the same time.

Powerless in the face of death was amazing and really let me know the show was something special. I have not been disappointed.