Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Fame Douglas posted:

Watch Dogs for Wii U is as good as cancelled.

Whilst I'll wait until it comes from Ubisoft themselves, at the same time, I will admit I'm not gonna be convinced it isn't until the game is actually in my hands. If the Bone can get a game cancelled with less than two weeks to release, then so can the Wii U with months to go.

The sad thing is, even if it does come out, it'll be past the point where Ubisoft would market it themselves, with the other versions already out. So that would leave marketing to Nintendo. Which just...

Sigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been kind of following this thread on and off, and I still don't see the Nintendo doomsday thing. Honestly, I feel like they could still turn the situation around. Sure, they probably won't, but they could if they wanted to.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Suspicious Dish posted:

You seemed to miss it. They already provided this update. Your NNID is integrated both in your 3DS and your Wii U. You sign into your NNID on both.

It doesn't do anything but beep a notification every time somebody re-Yeah!'s my idiot tweet on Miiverse.

Yeah, it's annoying on my 3DS.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Safety Scissors posted:

I've been kind of following this thread on and off, and I still don't see the Nintendo doomsday thing. Honestly, I feel like they could still turn the situation around. Sure, they probably won't, but they could if they wanted to.
What? Are you implying that they haven't wanted to all this time and it only takes a lightbulb moment? What?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Safety Scissors posted:

No, they really can't. Any hope Nintendo had to make the WiiU a success died when they couldn't even make it clear that it was a new console at its initial reveal. It also died when Nintendo made a machine without any feedback or suggestions from big third-party developers, essentially telling them to gently caress off. It died when Nintendo thought releasing an 8th gen console with 7th gen graphics that doesn't even allow easy porting of 7th gen games to be a good idea. It died when even after a decade of online services being available in consoles, Nintendo still can't be bothered to create a competent online infrastructure, let alone one that's on par with PSN and XBL. It died when Nintendo's insistence in using outdated technology for the WiiU forced a 349 dollar pricetag versus the PS4's 399 pricetag.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

What? Are you implying that they haven't wanted to all this time and it only takes a lightbulb moment? What?

No, see, they want the Wii U to bomb so the W3ee looks so much better in comparison when it comes out and will blow everyone away. I bet you won't even hook it up to a TV, it'll all be VR. edit: better for those small Japanese apartments, you know.

They're just two steps ahead of us.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 19, 2014

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

They just need to release a new Mar... well, a new 3D Mar... okay, a new Sma... nope? How about a new [franchise I liked when I was a kid with a Nintendo console, that was never actually all that popular, much like said Nintendo console itsel... fuckit, a Pokemon MMO.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
I like when a Pokemon mmo comes up because it's such a dated idea these days.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Peel posted:

[franchise I liked when I was a kid with a Nintendo console, that was never actually all that popular, much like said Nintendo console itsel

Um...Mario Kart Wii was, one of the best-selling games of all time, and same goes for NSMB. I can understand the idea that Mario Kart has gotten old, but where are you getting the idea that they were never popular when these franchises were moving huge amounts of product just 5-6 years ago?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Patter Song posted:

Um...Mario Kart Wii was, one of the best-selling games of all time, and same goes for NSMB. I can understand the idea that Mario Kart has gotten old, but where are you getting the idea that they were never popular when these franchises were moving huge amounts of product just 5-6 years ago?

Peel never said anything about Mario Kart. As for what you quoted, I'm pretty sure he's referring to franchises like F-Zero and Star Fox.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm pretty sure X is going to be the last big release at this point. I can't even find 50 worthwile exclusive games or even superior ports for the system. It doesn't even have the benefit of the Sega Saturn by having a superior Japanese library loaded with games to counteract it's lovely US library, it doesn't have the benefit of the Dreamcast of having a big library, it doesn't even have the Benefit of the 32X or Sega CD by being dirt cheap addons to an already existing system.

It's probably redefined what is a bad console.

But X is probably going to be good, and I'm going to reserve it out of fear of it becoming like Panzer Dragoon Saga. And it was only by chance I was able to get PDS complete in case for 15 bucks.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Patter Song posted:

I think they were just being generally, going with Mario (Likely referring to NSMB U), then 3D Mario (Mario 3D World), and now Smash (coming soon, but for 3DS and Wii U version expected later this year). Mario Kart we'll still have to see on the kind of bump it can bring, but I imagine it will be merely be a bump.

Atomicated posted:

Its weird actually since by this point, Pokemon is halfway there anyway. Yes, you can't explore all the regions in 3D or whatever, but there's massive online trading, tournaments, so forth. Heck, with X and Y, streetpass and spotpass allow for the whole angle of meeting random people and interacting with them. If Pokemon ever becomes a full MMO, it'll probably just be part of the main franchise.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

blackguy32 posted:

Can we even pinpoint a point of no return for the Wii U?

Launch date when every game ran slow as gently caress and created nearly universally negative word of mouth. Other than that, I guess, two week period where Sony and Microsoft announced/per-announced their consoles as being released in 2013.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm pretty sure X is going to be the last big release at this point. I can't even find 50 worthwile exclusive games or even superior ports for the system. It doesn't even have the benefit of the Sega Saturn by having a superior Japanese library loaded with games to counteract it's lovely US library, it doesn't have the benefit of the Dreamcast of having a big library, it doesn't even have the Benefit of the 32X or Sega CD by being dirt cheap addons to an already existing system.

You should really wait until E3 before saying things like this since X is the only current foressable last big release we know of. I'm sure the next Zelda will come after X, alon with a few others, but all the consoles are seeing a lull with software releases right now minus one or two bog releases.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Atomicated posted:

It's also such a bad, bad, bad idea. Literally the only people who have ever explained what exactly they want from a Pokemon MMO want Pokemon EVE Online and think that kids are no longer a target audience for Pokemon.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Safety Scissors posted:

Well yeah if the management was replaced with some hypothetical A-team, or if Iwata had a vision from Jesus telling him exactly how to fix the company they could turn things around. The point is that they won't, because these hypothetical won't actually happen.

blackguy32 posted:

Before they signed production contracts to build the things was the last point they could have made it actually successful. The PS4 price announcement was when it was doomed to be a money hemorrhaging trainwreck.

Forums Barber posted:

That wii u postmortem from earlier in the thread says that when the us designers would describe something as analogous to how xbox live or psn did things, the Japanese engineers literally did say that they had never used those services and that they would need the very basics of online mp explained from first principles. Not net code stuff but the consumer facing bits.

Yep, I believe the engineers they were corresponding with told them "don't bother referencing PSN or Xbox Live, neither we nor management have bothered to use or look at them at all"

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Cliff Racer posted:

Launch date when every game ran slow as gently caress and created nearly universally negative word of mouth. Other than that, I guess, two week period where Sony and Microsoft announced/per-announced their consoles as being released in 2013.

There was a lot of positive word of mouth on the forums about the OS and games around time of release. Too bad it was usually worded in the sense of "this is what the Wii should have been."

Then around early 2013 the realization happened that no games were coming

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's also such a bad, bad, bad idea. Literally the only people who have ever explained what exactly they want from a Pokemon MMO want Pokemon EVE Online and think that kids are no longer a target audience for Pokemon.

Why even bother thinking about how it would work as a game? The concept involves Nintendo making a functioning online game. That's already an insurmountable barrier.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sony, Microsoft execs own, use and enjoy Nintendo devices and are able to make their products all the more better for it. I feel like NCL execs don't even own computers.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Astro7x posted:

There was a lot of positive word of mouth on the forums about the OS and games around time of release. Too bad it was usually worded in the sense of "this is what the Wii should have been."

Then around early 2013 the realization happened that no games were coming

That's not how I remember it.

Shortly before release, pretty much everyone not drinking the Nintendo kool-aid (which were few) online was suspicious of the fact Nintendo hadn't really shown any media of the Wii U OS.

And after release, everyone realized what a horrible and slow POS lacking many basic features the Wii U interface is.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Why even bother thinking about how it would work as a game? The concept involves Nintendo making a functioning online game. That's already an insurmountable barrier.
Pokemon pretty much works as advertised. It's weird, people say Pokemon should be an MMO but X/Y already has what people would want in an online Pokemon which is to trade and battle with other people. I feel like peeps need to play X/Y.

Nintendo's 3DS games have completely functional and normal online play, it's their Wii U games that don't for some unfathomable reason. Even Luigi's Mansion has online play on 3DS, but games like NintendoLand, DKCR, Mario 3D World, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, none of them have online multiplayer. They just shrug their arms. I'm pretty sure Mario Kart 8 is the first first-party Wii U title to have robust online, which is.. 1 and a half years after launch? It's just unacceptable.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 19, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Pokemon pretty much works as advertised. It's weird, people say Pokemon should be an MMO but X/Y already has what people would want in an online Pokemon which is to trade and battle with other people. I feel like peeps need to play X/Y.

Nintendo's 3DS games have completely functional and normal online play, it's their Wii U games that don't for some unfathomable reason. Even Luigi's Mansion has online play on 3DS, but games like NintendoLand, DKCR, Mario 3D World, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, none of them have online multiplayer. They just shrug their arms. I'm pretty sure Mario Kart 8 is the first first-party Wii U title to have robust online, which is.. 1 and a half years after launch? It's just unacceptable.

Unfortunately, given their whole emphasis on local multiplayer (which I still do want to be a thing, so some is certainly better than none) for consoles, its easy to see why the 3DS got it first. The very evolution of handhelds has had a trend towards better and better connectivity since, well, the console and screen are one and the same, and also very tiny - you can't have multiple players using the same unit as with a console. The GBA had the wireless adapter to allow it for people you might know locally, and then when wifi took off, it was a logical step from there to expand into that. My family actually had a Nintendo Wifi USB stick, which you had to plug into the computer and all, back when stuff like Pokemon Ranger and Diamond and Pearl were coming out, and it was how I downloaded additional content and used the global trade center feature (or whatever the name was). But now wifi is an assumed default in most developed countries (at least for the people who can actually afford a luxury like video games), so they don't need to actually help people set it up, and the 3DS could run and evolve off what the DS already had going for the last... oh, seven years? Before they finally closed the servers and all.

The only thing I ever used the online capabilities of the Wii for, was to buy Megaman 9.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Fame Douglas posted:

That's not how I remember it.

Shortly before release, pretty much everyone not drinking the Nintendo kool-aid (which were few) online was suspicious of the fact Nintendo hadn't really shown any media of the Wii U OS.

And after release, everyone realized what a horrible and slow POS lacking many basic features the Wii U interface is.

And I remember much praise over Miiverse and WaraWare Plaza

People were easily impressed by things such as being able to play a game while a update for it was downloading. Remember that when the Wii U was released, that we were use to starting up a PS3 game, being told we have to do an update, and then wait for it to download and install. There was a lot of people saying the WIi U did it right, but then was shown how limited the interface was when the XBO and PS4 interfaces were shown off.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The main problem with WiiU OS is simply how loving slow it is even today. The fact that they've been unable to significantly improve its efficiency with the updates it's had since launch is embarrassing. I'm expecting another OS optimization update this year but based on previous ones I don't expect it to do all that much. Booting up still takes too long, booting into games still takes too long, opening menus takes too long, opening what are supposed to be basic OS-level functions like Miiverse takes too long.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Louisgod posted:

You should really wait until E3 before saying things like this since X is the only current foressable last big release we know of. I'm sure the next Zelda will come after X, alon with a few others, but all the consoles are seeing a lull with software releases right now minus one or two bog releases.

I think the next Zelda is going to arrive before X. I'm not expecting X until late 2015.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

The main problem with WiiU OS is simply how loving slow it is even today. The fact that they've been unable to significantly improve its efficiency with the updates it's had since launch is embarrassing. I'm expecting another OS optimization update this year but based on previous ones I don't expect it to do all that much. Booting up still takes too long, booting into games still takes too long, opening menus takes too long, opening what are supposed to be basic OS-level functions like Miiverse takes too long.

The planned update they announced at that fiscal meeting may or may not alleviate this in some respects. However, it was also said to be mostly a quick boot menu based on your most recently/regularly used stuff (can't remember which), so it may be you still get the initial loading screen splash page, except, well, now you don't go through the main menu. Which I suppose technically shaves off time, but...

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Astro7x posted:

And I remember much praise over Miiverse and WaraWare Plaza

People were easily impressed by things such as being able to play a game while a update for it was downloading. Remember that when the Wii U was released, that we were use to starting up a PS3 game, being told we have to do an update, and then wait for it to download and install. There was a lot of people saying the WIi U did it right, but then was shown how limited the interface was when the XBO and PS4 interfaces were shown off.

If that's how you remember it, then you apparently were not all that active on big gaming forums such as NeoGAF.

The Wii U interface was evidently trash right at release, with some neat ideas (especially in regards to social networking), but many fatal flaws like the competing different UI philosophies at work, the extreme slowness and the lack of basic features such as save file management and backup or an account system.

People hated the UI right at release, not just when PS4 and Xbone saw the light of the public.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 20, 2014

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!
People buy Nintendo consoles for non Nintendo IPs? Really?

Its only been 3 or 4 generations since they've had any significant support. Its litteraly a Mario machine at this point.
(the used Wii U I bought this week is pretty bitching)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Viller posted:

People buy Nintendo consoles for non Nintendo IPs? Really?

Its only been 3 or 4 generations since they've had any significant support. Its literally a Mario machine at this point.
(the used Wii U I bought this week is pretty bitching)

I hate this reasoning. So because Nintendo have sucked in the past when it comes to third-parties, they're allowed to keep sucking at it? You don't want Nintendo to actually make an effort to get games like Dark Souls 2 or Metal Gear Solid 5 on the system cause as long as you have Mario you're happy?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

I hate this reasoning. So because Nintendo have sucked in the past when it comes to third-parties, they're allowed to keep sucking at it? You don't want Nintendo to actually make an effort to get games like Dark Souls 2 or Metal Gear Solid 5 on the system cause as long as you have Mario you're happy?

At this stage of the console's life he's being logical.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

You can spin it that way, but it's still not selling well and its sales track so far seems pretty similar to Wii U's. Plus Don Mattick bailed, they brought in the guy that tanked Nokia, then they had to merge divisions and bring in Phil Spencer. Doesn't sound like they have their poo poo together to me. Sounds like they're running around with their head cut off.

I would say that the Xbox One is in what could at the very least be considered a competitive position in that, even if it never achieves the success of the PS4, it seems like it has enough power and support to continue receiving cross-platform ports and retain its user base. The Wii U never stood a chance.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I just remember that the first day of WiiU use was coloured by a mandatory 5 gig update that, if interrupted, would brick the console.

blackguy32 posted:

E3 2012 final announcement.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I should note that when I said slowness I wasn't just talking about the OS/UI issues, I meant the games too. Stuff like Epic Mickey 2 which ran like crap and all of the others which ran slightly less crappily but still nowhere near good.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I don't remember anyone saying kids aren't a target audience or that it should be like EVE Online. I think it would be enough for a console Pokemon to recreate the in-person handheld experience with a persistent hub world that you can duel in or make groups for instanced adventures. I've never understood the fervent opposition some people have to the idea; maybe the term "MMO" should be avoided because it makes people's brains think EVE or WoW. In hindsight, we probably don't want Nintendo attempting a persistent online anything.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
SO the big move that people think will save the WiiU is just "Its a port of X and Y, but on the WiiU. YEAH!".

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Groups for instanced adventures? Pokemon is about battling people 1v1. You go from town to town battling one gym leader at a time, and inbetween each town you fight one person in the middle of the road at a time. Just seems like an ignorance of what makes Pokemon interesting and fun for people. It's not Phantasy Star Online.

X/Y has about as much online integration as you could ask for from a Pokemon game, it's just that it's on 3DS and not on Wii U. The number of console Pokemon games that match the handheld Pokemon games in quality and content is... uh it's 0. And most of the Poke titles on console are spinoffs.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 20, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well there are team battles actually, that could be expanded.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Toady posted:

I don't remember anyone saying kids aren't a target audience or that it should be like EVE Online. I think it would be enough for a console Pokemon to recreate the in-person handhd experience with a persistent hub world that you can duel in or make groups for instanced adventures. I've never understood the fervent opposition some people have to the idea; maybe the term "MMO" should be avoided because it makes people's brains think EVE or WoW. In hindsight, we probably don't want Nintendo attempting a persistent online anything.

I think the perception of what a 'standard' MMO is does colour things a bit, yes. Whilst I don't think the notion of creating something specifically separate on its own as an MMO has much merit, certainly by this point, for others its just really not wanting a WOW-ified version of the games. Which is actually pretty weird when one considers that asian MMOs are less likely to be based on that model anyway - certainly with regards to presentation at least.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

When it comes to online, the main problem for Nintendo is that they wouldn't let EA handle the infrastructure, but they also apparently can't do their own (they relied on GameSpy for DS/Wii). They probably should've reached out to SOMEONE to handle it if they couldn't. It could've been a gamechanger if Wii U was powered by Steamworks. Instead they said "everyone's on their own". And what developers really enjoy that? With Xbox it's nice that that poo poo is already taken care of. Sony I think -was- "everyone's on their own", I dunno how they do it with PS4.

But you've seen third party titles come to Wii U, and they don't have online, because developers aren't going to bother. Or they don't offer DLC, or there are features that are just cut out. That's a direct consequence of Nintendo not wanting to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It really is stupid. A tradional MMO just wouldn't work or would work, but at the expense of not acting at all like Pokemon, to the point where it could just as easily be themed after anything. And if they are going to do that I'd much rather have a Mario based themepark MMO all things considered. What I will say about Pokemon though is that I don't think its marketed properly on the games side of things anymore. There are continuing spinoffs, Troze, Mystery Dungeon, etc but I feel that they are all "small" games. They should make more "bigger" tentpole-ish spinoffs. Not necessarily Pokemon Snap 2 or anything (though I personally would enjoy that) but something in that vein. Maybe more non-game Pokemon licensing too, I know that stuff is all over in Japan but I feel like its really gone away in this country over the past twelve or so years. Perhaps I just don't visit toystores as much as I did when I was twelve but remember how huge stuff like that McDonalds promotion was? Why aren't there any more of those going on? I feel like we get more of that stuff out of Mario than out of Pokemon these days and, while I love all that Mario stuff, Pokemon is practically built for it.

But then I've already in this thread brought up and had a discussion on Nintendo not properly merchandizing their IP currently.

• Locked thread