Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

Later on, I'm going to an appointment with my psych to get myself back on meds. I'm going to call the library and speak with my supervisor about my new job and how we can schedule volunteer hours around it.

Glad your being proactive with this poo poo. Go back, re-read some of the half-rear end plans you had posted 5 months ago and compare them to this. Be proud of the difference and try to maintain the momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Uncle Salty posted:

" My language acquisition" is the new " my political fellowship". Also: why not " acquire" English before shooting for Mandarin?

Yes. Languages Benny should work on: English, then Spanish (so he can talk to his grandparents before they die). After he masters at least one of those, then let's talk.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes. Languages Benny should work on: English, then Spanish (so he can talk to his grandparents before they die). After he masters at least one of those, then let's talk.

Studying another language actually can help with the first language too.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Benny, congratulations on getting the job. It's not the best job but it's your job, and that is a big accomplishment. Try not to overthink it too much - you've demonstrated more ambition than aptitude in that regard - do what they say consistently and politely and efficiently. Most importantly, save up the money. Remember that the job was step one on the "get my poo poo together and get out of my mom's house and become an adult" plan, and the next step is going to be save up that money and get your head straight. Third step is figure out a budget and circumstances that will let you move out.

Congrats to you Benny.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

Remember that the job was step one on the "get my poo poo together and get out of my mom's house and become an adult" plan

Congrats to you Benny.

Ahahaha at this rate he might be sorted by 2020.
He has already reached step one a few times and been knocked back on his rear end by doing stupid poo poo.
Please Benny, don't call in "hungover" especially if you are not.
Don't ignore instructions because that's how "I think it should be done"
And for god's sake, don't hit any co-worker or customer's vehicle with frying pans and/or shopping trolleys.
I admit the likelihood of these things coming up as possible are slim, but if anyone can do it...

Priestess Cashmere
Oct 9, 2012

Yikesaroo

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

lovely jobs hourly don't come with offer letters. There's plenty to make fun of Benny for without reaching like this.

I think you're misinterpreting my "humour" here. My point wasn't to belittle Benny for getting a lovely minimum wage job. My point was that with anyone else, if they weren't sure of the hourly rate of a job they had been offered, we could remind them to check their letter of offer, or any tax documents the employer had them sign (or whatever else is done in the US -- not from there, don't know). And furthermore that knowing your rate of pay would be pretty basic to anyone accepting a position. But with Benny, his concern is whether he should master Mandarin or Cantonese over the weekend.

Anyway, good to see things are progressing with the position Benny, and glad you're going to get back to see the psych.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay I just got back from orientation. My job is to post merchandise on sites like Amazon and Ebay. There's a formula I'm going to use to come up with the minimum price to sell and if some one else sells it cheaper, I pass. My company is a middle man: we buy stuff from warehouses and sell it online. And we sell everything from shoe eyelets to tattoo needle guns to even hydroponics. I'm going to handle Amazon and I have a feeling they're gonna give me Craigslist as well to liquidate returns. Pay is minimum wage and the hours are Monday-Friday, six hours a day. 30 hours a week is considerably better than Target was. I'm on a 90 day probation. Our office is a Mac one, which will take a bit of an adjustment since I'm a PC user. I feel like I'm in a good place though: it's a very friendly environment. And I came in at the right time, since summer is the slow season before September and then comes the Christmas shopping season.

Later on, I'm going to an appointment with my psych to get myself back on meds. I'm going to call the library and speak with my supervisor about my new job and how we can schedule volunteer hours around it.

This actually sounds like a pretty neat job. It certainly sounds a million times better than doing phone support in a call center and getting yelled at by angry people with broken internet. Hopefully you'll have a bunch of coworkers your own age too.

Good job Benny I mean that sincerely.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So I've been doing a bit of thinking and I think I've made a sensible decision. Here it is: I'm going to wait until after the 90 day probation to move on to anything major like taking out a loan for a car taking up my gradma's offer for a car loan or looking for a better job. The reason is because I learned that, after Target, I'm very capable of sabotaging myself. Which is why I've put myself back on medication first thing after orientation. If I can make it past the probation and my manager decides to keep me on, then I can move ahead on getting a loan for a car, or looking for a better job, or even going back to school for my Masters.

By the way, my psych has taken me off one of my three medications since I've told him that I don't feel paranoid any more. I haven't felt paranoid or heard any voices in a long time. I'm still anxious, though. If I start slipping into paranoia, then I'm going to call him first thing to have me put on the third medication. My psych doesn't accept medi-cal, so once I do get back from them, I'll have to find a new psych and my current one is willing to pass along his information.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 19, 2014

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

:ughh:

Car loan, really.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
What about your student loans? Those come first right? :ohdear:

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

So I've been doing a bit of thinking and I think I've made a sensible decision. Here it is: I'm going to wait until after the 90 day probation to move on to anything major like taking out a loan for a car or looking for a better job. The reason is because I learned that, after Target, I'm very capable of sabotaging myself. Which is why I've put myself back on medication first thing after orientation. If I can make it past the probation and my manager decides to keep me on, then I can move ahead on getting a loan for a car, or looking for a better job, or even going back to school for my Masters.

Are you loving trolling or what?

If you make it past the probationary period you should probably move ahead on not getting fired, you stupid person. Stay at your mom's house, read your comics, and don't get fired.

Are you bringing up the Masters degree thing to try and top your post about language acquisition? What the gently caress? I need another break from this thread. Good luck to you.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Priestess Cashmere posted:

I think you're misinterpreting my "humour" here. My point wasn't to belittle Benny for getting a lovely minimum wage job. My point was that with anyone else, if they weren't sure of the hourly rate of a job they had been offered, we could remind them to check their letter of offer, or any tax documents the employer had them sign (or whatever else is done in the US -- not from there, don't know). And furthermore that knowing your rate of pay would be pretty basic to anyone accepting a position. But with Benny, his concern is whether he should master Mandarin or Cantonese over the weekend.

Anyway, good to see things are progressing with the position Benny, and glad you're going to get back to see the psych.

Yeah dumbfuck, you're still missing the point that minimum-wage jobs don't HAVE offer letters. And people don't typically fill out tax documents until their first day of work, and the tax documents don't have rate of pay on them anyway. Seriously there is so, so much "humour" about Benny, there's no need to wade into poo poo you clearly have no idea about to try and find something to mock him over.

buteruc
Feb 12, 2009

Benny, you need to take things one day at a time. Just relax and go to work, do the Amazon thing, and go home. Do this for a couple of weeks and then you can start thinking about the future. Don't treat the job as one that you're going to drop as soon as you can; instead, get comfortable, establish a routine with the volunteering, and try to keep things chill at home.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

So I've been doing a bit of thinking and I think I've made a sensible decision. Here it is: I'm going to wait until after the 90 day probation to move on to anything major like taking out a loan for a car taking up my gradma's offer for a car loan or looking for a better job. The reason is because I learned that, after Target, I'm very capable of sabotaging myself. Which is why I've put myself back on medication first thing after orientation. If I can make it past the probation and my manager decides to keep me on, then I can move ahead on getting a loan for a car, or looking for a better job, or even going back to school for my Masters.

By the way, my psych has taken me off one of my three medications since I've told him that I don't feel paranoid any more. I haven't felt paranoid or heard any voices in a long time. I'm still anxious, though. If I start slipping into paranoia, then I'm going to call him first thing to have me put on the third medication. My psych doesn't accept medi-cal, so once I do get back from them, I'll have to find a new psych and my current one is willing to pass along his information.

Exactly, this is a good call. Don't make any major purchases or lifestyle changes, just work on socking away some cash and building good habits for maintaining the job. There is no rush - you are recognizing this will be an adjustment and a risky one at that and are mitigating that risk.

Good luck man! Give us a report after your first week.

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

Sigma-X posted:

It's not the best job but it's your job,

"This is my job. There are many like it, but this one is mine." (misquoted?)

Yeah dumbfuck, you're still missing the point that minimum-wage jobs don't HAVE offer letters. And people don't typically fill out tax documents until their first day of work, and the tax documents don't have rate of pay on them anyway. Seriously there is so, so much "humour" about Benny, there's no need to wade into poo poo you clearly have no idea about to try and find something to mock him over.

Hey, calm down:

Priestess Cashmere posted:

(or whatever else is done in the US -- not from there, don't know)

We're not all red-white-and-blue in here. Let's just sit by the bonfire and enjoy things.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

buteruc posted:

Benny, you need to take things one day at a time. Just relax and go to work, do the Amazon thing, and go home. Do this for a couple of weeks and then you can start thinking about the future. Don't treat the job as one that you're going to drop as soon as you can; instead, get comfortable, establish a routine with the volunteering, and try to keep things chill at home.

Exactly this. Don't get ahead of yourself, Benny. Focus on establishing a routine and keeping this job. That said, be on high alert for scammy poo poo at your job like being asked to purchase the lists of products your supposed to sell or having to recruit others in order to advance.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Perfidia posted:

We're not all red-white-and-blue in here. Let's just sit by the bonfire and enjoy things.

Is it so difficult not to be a smug rear end in a top hat about things happening in a different country if you don't actually know how things in that different country work? And I've lived in Commonwealth countries and lovely jobs don't have letters of offer there either, so what we actually have here is someone who's never even worked that class of job running their mouth about them.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 19, 2014

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
CAR LOAN!??!!?! Benny for shame. You can't be serious.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
This job is too complicated for Benny.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Veskit posted:

CAR LOAN!??!!?! Benny for shame. You can't be serious.

When he described it before, it sounded more like a a 'I'll help you buy a car and you can pay me back whenever' arrangement with his grandmother. Although borrowing money from family is not always a fantastic idea. It's good that he's holding off on this for now.

Benny the Snake posted:

And yeah, like folks are saying, you're on the right track here. You have a job, focus on learning the job for now. Data entry's not the most exciting thing in the world to be sure, but there are far worse things to do for money. Good luck, man.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

docbeard posted:

When he described it before, it sounded more like a a 'I'll help you buy a car and you can pay me back whenever' arrangement with his grandmother. Although borrowing money from family is not always a fantastic idea. It's good that he's holding off on this for now.

It's a bad idea when he's making minimum wage, has brain problems, and can't hold down a job. I wouldn't even recommend a free car let alone a loan from family car. Don't buy a car Benny, please lord don't under any circumstances get your own car.

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

Is it so difficult not to be a smug rear end in a top hat about things happening in a different country if you don't actually know how things in that different country work? And I've lived in Commonwealth countries and lovely jobs don't have letters of offer there either, so what we actually have here is someone who's never even worked that class of job running their mouth about them.

I didn't actually read Priestess Cashmere's post as smug assholery, so maybe I'm wrong. I'm not sure what the Commonwealth has got to do with anything, either, but over here in my corner of Glorious Europe things work quite differently from how they do in Bennyland, so mostly I just sit back and enjoy the tour. Whatever. Let's all have fun.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

Darth123123 posted:

Yeah I'm having a hard time seeing someone who failed miserably at the incredibly simple tasks of grilling vegetables, putting things into boxes and pushing shopping carts succeed at managing a massive portfolio of product listings across multiple markets.

Standing by for hilarity.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Perfidia posted:

I didn't actually read Priestess Cashmere's post as smug assholery, so maybe I'm wrong. I'm not sure what the Commonwealth has got to do with anything, either, but over here in my corner of Glorious Europe things work quite differently from how they do in Bennyland, so mostly I just sit back and enjoy the tour. Whatever. Let's all have fun.

He was mocking Benny for not reading his offer letter, when he, and you, can't seem to comprehend that minimum-wage jobs don't have offer letters. He's mocking Benny for not doing a thing it's not possible for Benny to have done, instead of mocking Benny for his big plans to learn Chinese and buy a car, as is correct. If you don't know how a thing works, don't try to make jokes that hinge upon knowing how said thing works. It's not hard. You're being intentionally obtuse and that's "assholery" too.

And I brought up the Commonwealth because Cashmere used a Commonwealth spelling for humor. Again with you and the being intentionally obtuse.

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!
Well, you seem more invested in this than me, so I'm just going to walk away.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Perfidia posted:

Well, you seem more invested in this than me, so I'm just going to walk away.

And a thunderous, echoing fart noise to you as well. Just remember your response to being asked to learn a thing next time you type up one of your "lol ignorant Americans" posts. :)

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

And a thunderous, echoing fart noise to you as well. Just remember your response to being asked to learn a thing next time you type up one of your "lol ignorant Americans" posts. :)

Dude shut up. You are being an rear end in a top hat about some throwaway joke that doesn't even matter. Just let it go it doesn't loving matter.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Darth123123 posted:

More than that, I'm surprised that this is a minimum wage job. I don't know enough details, so it might be more simple than it sounds (maybe "using a formula" is simply copy-and-pasting a number into a cell in an already-setup Excel spreadsheet), but considering five years ago I was being paid $10 an hour for a data entry job in which I simply typed in dollar amounts from scanned checks (literally: the entire job was typing numbers you saw on screen), I would have thought a job like this would have been at least a dollar or two over minimum.

Honestly, I know "computer literacy" is pretty much a basic life skill at this point rather than a career-related one, it's still not quite ubiquitous enough that I wouldn't expect any job done entirely on computers to not naturally be a dollar or two more an hour than your average retail or fast food job.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I really don't get the people giving Benny poo poo for saying "I'm not going to pursue a car loan through my Grandma yet, I'm going to wait a while to make sure I don't gently caress this one up because I've hosed them up before."

That's smart thinking and considering a significant portion of his documented job hunt has been hampered by his reliance on public transportation a car will make him much more employable in the future, and it's pretty much a necessity for working a reasonable job while maintaining reasonable rent in SoCal. The area he lives in is suburban sprawl without money and in general that neck of the woods does not have great public transportation - it's not like he's in San Franscisco or something where you can get away with not having a car. All the affordable places are not connected to the good job centers by reasonable public transportation in SoCal.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
i don't think anyone's saying having a car wouldn't be a great benefit to Benny, just that he's in no condition to get one, especially one he has to finance, and we're all amazed that it apparently took some deep consideration for him to realize what to most people should be plain common sense.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

lizardman posted:

i don't think anyone's saying having a car wouldn't be a great benefit to Benny, just that he's in no condition to get one, especially one he has to finance, and we're all amazed that it apparently took some deep consideration for him to realize what to most people should be plain common sense.

Yeah but he's putting the effort into the deep consideration which he obviously needed and as a result came up with the right decision.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

We also don't know what sort of a car loan his grandmother is offering him. Some loans from family are effectively gifts. Other loans from family will turn your family relationship into a minefield. Choose wisely.*

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah but he's putting the effort into the deep consideration which he obviously needed and as a result came up with the right decision.

Yeah, this is the key. Dude hasn't been big on the whole common sense thing for a while now, and while of course talk is cheap, he hasn't been big on even talking like he has common sense. This is progress, and it's worthy of praise.

And hell, a minimum wage data entry job ain't the most glamorous thing in the world, sure, and maybe securing one doesn't seem like such an achievement, but if I'd landed one after literal years of unemployment and failed job prospects, I'd be loving ecstatic.**

___
*It is possible I have some experience, and some bitterness, in this area. Stupid misspent youth.

**By which I mean, when I landed one after literal years of unemployment and failed job prospects, I was loving ecstatic. Stupid misspent youth.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Sigma-X posted:

Total agreement. He thought through this like a normal person. It's progress.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

docbeard posted:

We also don't know what sort of a car loan his grandmother is offering him. Some loans from family are effectively gifts. Other loans from family will turn your family relationship into a minefield. Choose wisely.*
Well my dear maternal grandmother practically raised me from when I was a kid and I love her dearly. Members of my mom's side have come to her to borrow money. She's offered $4000 to buy a used car. The terms of the loan would be to pay her back when I could. I could probably find a used car for $2000, but I'd probably want to use the loan to buy a car and get myself something that I've been desperately needing for a couple years now: a new pair of glasses. My eyesight is degenerating and my prescription glasses have been getting thicker and more expensive. My last pair cost me about $800 so I'm guessing a new pair might cost me now upwards of $1000. I know it's a bad idea to borrow more than you need, but I am really desperate for a new pair of glasses. My brother managed to get a free pair years ago through the local Lion's Club, but I'm not sure if I as an adult could approach them about a new pair of glasses or not.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
What the gently caress? Is that how much glasses actually cost in the US?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Big Bug Hug posted:

When you have an astigmatism, both nearsightedness and farsightedness, and degenerative sight, then yes. I also don't have insurance, so I have to pay the full price.

Alkaiser
Mar 17, 2009
Have you considered that if your vision has changed badly enough that you want new glasses, you probably shouldn't be driving anyway?

You have to change your approach to life, you have a problem (I need glasses, but can't afford to get them from a Optician); what successful people do is focus on finding a solution to that problem. Off the top of my head I can think of buying glasses online at a significant discount, seeing if there's a optometry school in town that can help you out or point you in the right direction, contacting the American Foundation for the Blind, finding a job with vision benefits, etc. The last thing I would think of is to use a grand from grandma that I could never pay back before exploring some basic options.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

You should definitely go back and get your master's! Just another stepping stone on your quest to become a college professor.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Big Bug Hug posted:

No, I just had a full exam and glasses yesterday, it was about $120 after insurance. They said around $480 without insurance and I found that a bit expensive compared to places I've gone in the past. Below that is chains like America's Best that can get you in cheap glasses for about $80 provided you aren't some special snowflake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Buy your glasses online. I went from spending 600ish a pair to about 150 shipped.

• Locked thread