Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Korak posted:

Might be useful to add to the OP?

Needs to add the Elder Dragons, the Invasion-era Primeval Dragons, and the Planar Chaos wedge dragons. Also Phelddagrif.

Oh, and the Fallen Empires factions. Folks need to know where in the color pie the Ebon Hand and Icatians reside.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

And I can never keep those Nephilim straight.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Just paste a gigantic Cromat over the entire thing and call it a day.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

Needs to add the Elder Dragons, the Invasion-era Primeval Dragons, and the Planar Chaos wedge dragons. Also Phelddagrif.

Oh, and the Fallen Empires factions. Folks need to know where in the color pie the Ebon Hand and Icatians reside.

If you're doing Fallen Empires you have to represent the split within each color! The Ebon Hand vs. their thrulls. Goblins vs. Dwarves. Icatians vs. the Femeref cultists.

Also we need the Nephilim.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you're doing Fallen Empires you have to represent the split within each color! The Ebon Hand vs. their thrulls. Goblins vs. Dwarves. Icatians vs. the Femeref cultists.

Alas poor Sarpadia, your people were too good for Dominaria.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

A new one for every standard season :getin:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Boco_T posted:

If they're still talking about the same thing, it's that when you have Eidolon of Rhetoric and Possibility Storm on the board, neither player can cast a spell again for the rest of the game. So you have to have something on the board that can win, it's a symmetrical hard lock.

That's hardly a hard lock. It's not a hard lock even in Standard, nevermind Modern / Legacy.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, a seemingly common mistake is using the +1 before combat, giving your opponent an invincible chump blocker.

Choosing when to +1 and give an invincible blocker is part of the fun. A few games I'll +1 on a desecration demon and swing in with my Prognostic sphinx. I want my scy, damnit!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

endlessmonotony posted:

That's hardly a hard lock. It's not a hard lock even in Standard, nevermind Modern / Legacy.
Am I misunderstanding how Possibility Storm works? When you cast a card with Possibility Storm on the battlefield, that card itself never resolves. Then when whatever you reveal with Eidolon can't be cast at all, because you cannot cast a second spell on the same turn. I understand that there are other way to get cards out, but what am I missing here?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Boco_T posted:

Am I misunderstanding how Possibility Storm works? When you cast a card with Possibility Storm on the battlefield, that card itself never resolves. Then when whatever you reveal with Eidolon can't be cast at all, because you cannot cast a second spell on the same turn. I understand that there are other way to get cards out, but what am I missing here?

It prevents your opponent from ever casting another spell?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It prevents your opponent from ever casting another spell?
That's what I said in the original post, and endlessmonotony said it was "not a hard lock even in Standard." I was wondering in what way it wasn't.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Boco_T posted:

That's what I said in the original post, and endlessmonotony said it was "not a hard lock even in Standard." I was wondering in what way it wasn't.

Well, your opponent could always kill you with Mutavaults, so I suppose it is indeed not a hard lock.

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007
I don't know what breaks the lock in standard, but for modern you could flashback Ray of Revelation to destroy Possibility Storm. Cards cast from the graveyard don't trigger it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I still think it's absolutely hilarious that a 3-mana, your-spells-only* Demon's Horn is considered a legitimate sideboard card in today's Standard.
* And Swamps, I guess

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Dragon's Whatever, uh, the red lucky charm was a thing in burn mirrors long times ago. Same principle . . .

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Saeku posted:

Dragon's Whatever, uh, the red lucky charm was a thing in burn mirrors long times ago. Same principle . . .
Foil Dragon's Claw.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I could listen to Patrick Chapin and Patrick Sullivan talk about Manaless Dredge all day. :allears:

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
I could watch Manaless Dredge win through Rest in Peace all day. Granted, the RIP showed up when the non-dredge guy was at 4 life and facing down 3 power, but still.

e: welp, nevermind. It's a lot better on turn 2.

Minority Deport fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 20, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mr. Peepers posted:

I could listen to Patrick Chapin and Patrick Sullivan talk about Manaless Dredge all day. :allears:

E:f;b

And people say Manaless Dredge can't beat Rest in Peace!

(U/W/R Miracles dropped it with 4 life left, facing down 2/2 and 1/1 on dredge's board, with no answers to the creatures).

Edit: Rest in peace in the opening hand on game 3

Compelling and rich

A diversity of gameplay mechanics

Devor fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 20, 2014

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

The way Joe Lossett (Miracles player) punked the Manaless Dredge deck out of game one was glorious. Manaless Dredge Dread Returned Balustrade Spy and flipped his whole library into the graveyard. He immediately went to Dread Return back Flayer of the Hatebound using Narcomoebas. In response Miracles casually played a second Vendillion Clique, sending his first one to the graveyard and blowing up all the Bridge from Belows. Then Flayer of the Hatebound enters play, shoots Miracles for 2, then immediately gets exiled with a Swords. Manaless Dredge only has 1 creature in play and no Bridges so he passes turn, Miracles plays a land and passes, Manaless Dredge loses to getting decked.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Mr. Peepers posted:

The way Joe Lossett (Miracles player) punked the Manaless Dredge deck out of game one was glorious. Manaless Dredge Dread Returned Balustrade Spy and flipped his whole library into the graveyard. He immediately went to Dread Return back Flayer of the Hatebound using Narcomoebas. In response Miracles casually played a second Vendillion Clique, sending his first one to the graveyard and blowing up all the Bridge from Belows. Then Flayer of the Hatebound enters play, shoots Miracles for 2, then immediately gets exiled with a Swords. Manaless Dredge only has 1 creature in play and no Bridges so he passes turn, Miracles plays a land and passes, Manaless Dredge loses to getting decked.

An actual interesting way to beat Dredge? :wth:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
I seriously cannot watch CounterTop-style decks. I know they're not really broken, but goddamn are they uninteresting to watch once the Top player assembles their combo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Niton posted:

I seriously cannot watch CounterTop-style decks. I know they're not really broken, but goddamn are they uninteresting to watch once the Top player assembles their combo.

The Nic Fit player's got Abrupt Decay in hand and a Pod out.

I'm pretty sure the miracles player is proper hosed actually.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Niton posted:

From the stream, it seems like the best way to beat a Counter-Top deck is to constantly act like you're confused about their sequencing of activated abilities and triggers until they themselves get confused explaining it to you and end up declaring the sequence wrong.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Nic Fit player's got Abrupt Decay in hand and a Pod out.

I'm pretty sure the miracles player is proper hosed actually.

Well i'm glad he did :colbert:

Countertop's been a deck as long as i've paid attention to legacy, and I don't think i've ever enjoyed watching it.

fake edit: Them going on about Valuetown is fantastic.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Niton posted:

But they're so much fun to play! You get to ignore basically everything your opponents do and just win at some point.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Niton posted:

Well i'm glad he did :colbert:

Countertop's been a deck as long as i've paid attention to legacy, and I don't think i've ever enjoyed watching it.

fake edit: Them going on about Valuetown is fantastic.

Chapin is the best commentator.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Can we please not hate on Miracles on this holiest of days?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yes, let us instead praise Nic Fit on 4/20.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, let us instead praise Nic Fit on 4/20.

"In true Legacy fashion, you can kill your own creature with your Planeswalker, and get some basic lands for your opponent."

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Jesus was the original graveyard hate

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Devor posted:

Jesus was the original graveyard hate

Actually, he had Undying.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Actually, he had Undying.
Quite the optimist, aren't you? He clearly had persist.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
Y'all are all wrong he had suspend 3.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

^^^ The original Epochrasite

Arid Mesa for a basic Island? Did I see that correctly?

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 20, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Really awesome feeling: Winning game 2 through the earliest possible Domri Emblem with control (turn 2 Domri, +1 every turn, never drew a D-Sphere).

Really lovely feeling: Game 3 my 7 card hand has no land. Neither does the 6. Or the 5. Or the 4. :smithicide:

Just sucks when skillful play means nothing thanks to the shittiest shuffler luck I've ever had.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Really awesome feeling: Winning game 2 through the earliest possible Domri Emblem with control (turn 2 Domri, +1 every turn, never drew a D-Sphere).

Really lovely feeling: Game 3 my 7 card hand has no land. Neither does the 6. Or the 5. Or the 4. :smithicide:

Just sucks when skillful play means nothing thanks to the shittiest shuffler luck I've ever had.

I feel ya man. Happened to me last week playing modern. I'm diggin' Amulet-Combo (going 3-1 most nights, or 3-0 split first), but my track record against one buddy there is abysmal, since I've had no-landers mull to 3-5 every time we get paired. lovely luck sometimes, sure, but I suppose it makes up for the stupid poo poo I've done like T2 double-Amulet triple-Summer Bloom, drop 4 Titans with +2/+0 and Haste.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Mr. Peepers posted:

They just showed this and goddamn do I love Joe Lossett. He's played so much Miracles that he usually knows how to make a good play in any situation, even if he's human and sometimes doesn't make the best play. He thinks through his lines online really well.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Korak posted:

They just showed this and goddamn do I love Joe Lossett. He's played so much Miracles that he usually knows how to make a good play in any situation, even if he's human and sometimes doesn't make the best play. He thinks through his lines online really well.

They're replaying the entire match and I just can't stop laughing at Chapin's commentary. "He has found one half of his combo - a Vendillion Clique-, and he just needs to find the other half, which will let him kill his own creature".

EDIT: And Feline Longmore is 4-1, here's hoping she makes it into the Top 8!

EDIT2: Peter Zhang is playing Staff of Nin, this is the best Open.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Serperoth posted:

They're replaying the entire match and I just can't stop laughing at Chapin's commentary. "He has found one half of his combo - a Vendillion Clique-, and he just needs to find the other half, which will let him kill his own creature".

EDIT: And Feline Longmore is 4-1, here's hoping she makes it into the Top 8!

EDIT2: Peter Zhang is playing Staff of Nin, this is the best Open.
I love watching Legacy Tezzeret. I'm assuming he has the thopter-sword combo?

• Locked thread