Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Eh, since it's trypticon and not Grimlock I'm completely OK with them going full Godzilla instead of realistic(ish) dinosaur.

e: Liefeld Prime!

Not enough pouches to be Liefield

Also Rhinox and Whirl are out in full force at TRU. I found 10+ of each today at my local podunk TRU.

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Rage posted:

Also Rhinox and Whirl are out in full force at TRU. I found 10+ of each today at my local podunk TRU.

Any Double Dealers? I'm curious how well the voyagers will be stocked in the future. Because towards the end of Universe 2.0 you had a hard time finding Leo Prime, Vector Prime, and a few others.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Any Double Dealers? I'm curious how well the voyagers will be stocked in the future. Because towards the end of Universe 2.0 you had a hard time finding Leo Prime, Vector Prime, and a few others.

Not a single Doubledealer, I think they skipped his wave entirely. I think my Target still has one though, I'll check tomorrow.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Cassa posted:

Can we get some mid-transform? I'm really curious as to how the armour fits onto the cab.

That's a really great request, as the whole "there's no white optimus" thing seems to be a major point of debate on Stack. It also shows off one of the weakest aspects of Stack.

Photo 1: Note that the whole mold folds in half on a relatively small hinge at the waist. It's slightly better than the similar setup on Knight Morpher Cyclops, but it's still very much an "oh poo poo" joint. Also, it's not very evident from this angle, but the cab is follow. Like, 100% dollar store toy hollow. It's the only part that truly feels cheap, in spite of the sliding smoke stacks, chrome, rubber tires, etc.

Photo 2: Yup, you just fold the cab down over the tires, revealing the head, and secure the cab in place. This is where the hollow cab redeems itself, IMO. I'm a fan of the simpler MP molds, not the ones that take a ton of fiddling. This is the one thing I think Stack will have over MP Magnus-- it's simple and involves no partsforming. Then you fold the shoulders/arms back around the cab's sides, just like the G1 toy.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Taint Reaper posted:

Get the Year of the Horse Optimus, the trailer is better because you can hook up blue LED lights because the trailer is a monument to light piping.

His gold chrome also is not that gold in real life.

With the darker reds and blues, and grey-to-blacks on YOTH MP-10, the gold fits. If it were silver, I don't think it would work as well with the overall color scheme.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Why cookie Rocket posted:

That's a really great request, as the whole "there's no white optimus" thing seems to be a major point of debate on Stack. It also shows off one of the weakest aspects of Stack.

Photo 1: Note that the whole mold folds in half on a relatively small hinge at the waist. It's slightly better than the similar setup on Knight Morpher Cyclops, but it's still very much an "oh poo poo" joint. Also, it's not very evident from this angle, but the cab is follow. Like, 100% dollar store toy hollow. It's the only part that truly feels cheap, in spite of the sliding smoke stacks, chrome, rubber tires, etc.

Photo 2: Yup, you just fold the cab down over the tires, revealing the head, and secure the cab in place. This is where the hollow cab redeems itself, IMO. I'm a fan of the simpler MP molds, not the ones that take a ton of fiddling. This is the one thing I think Stack will have over MP Magnus-- it's simple and involves no partsforming. Then you fold the shoulders/arms back around the cab's sides, just like the G1 toy.

That is so everything I want in an MP Magnus, other than the fact that I know that even if I bought that one I'd still feel compelled to buy the official one too in order to support the brand. Then I'm out another $200 and have two huge Magni on my shelf.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Citizen Stack is simpler than some Voyagers and that's not what I come to MPs for, dammit. It's a simple stupid toy for dumb babies.

I came in on RID. I saw kids lose their minds over Omega Prime and I said NAY! I will master you. I can transform MP-01 in 60 seconds flat. I need MORE COMPLEXITY or I'll feel cheated. Give me partsforming! Bring me combiners! GIVE ME MP MEGATRON, AND I WILL DEFEAT IT!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm a G1 baby and find anything harder than a basic TF hard work. I haven't even tried to transform my MP-7 Thundercracker, let along the Generations version.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

You Am I posted:

I'm a G1 baby and find anything harder than a basic TF hard work. I haven't even tried to transform my MP-7 Thundercracker, let along the Generations version.

I have a Masterpiece Skywarp from Walmart, and I've never attempted to transform him. Only Transformer I've never even tried to transform.

I... just never tried.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Partsforming is not a negative by default, I feel compelled to point out. It's often a lazy shortcut, but sometimes it's the best course of action. Similarly, shellforming is not an inherently negative thing, as any fan of PRiD Vehicon can attest.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Keldroc posted:

Partsforming is not a negative by default, I feel compelled to point out. It's often a lazy shortcut, but sometimes it's the best course of action. Similarly, shellforming is not an inherently negative thing, as any fan of PRiD Vehicon can attest.

Partsforming is basically the same as headmasters.

Something Hasbro won't ever do, no matter how cool the result.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Partsforming is basically the same as headmasters.

Something Hasbro won't ever do, no matter how cool the result.

With all the G1 guys that hasbro has been throwing at us lately, I'm amazed they haven't tried to update some of those old lines, like the Head/target masters. I would totally be all for a Legends class line up of Scramble city combiners with the mid guys being commander class.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Targetmasters have been back since at least Power Core Combiners. You can probably even stretch the "Targetmaster" definition to Minicons(little robots that become weaponry for the big guys), in which case they've been around since Armada.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I have a Masterpiece Skywarp from Walmart, and I've never attempted to transform him. Only Transformer I've never even tried to transform.

I... just never tried.

I have a Greenscream somewhere in storage. I cracked a couple of his more fragile transformation joints the second time I put him in jet mode. So I can't blame you.

I haven't cared about Optimus Prime for a long rear end time, aside from being appalled by his Bay iteration. But the latest round of IDW comics, and actually being able to get my mitts on the MP10 mold with YOTH Prime, have made me interested in the old warhorse again.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Yeah, plus I'd technically call the current G1 Legends line Targetmasters considering they come with little buddies that transform into their weapons. The third mode makes it arguably non-Targetmaster but if G1 could call Piranacon a Targetmaster I think the Legends qualify.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've finally got around to playing Fall of Cybertron (after owning it for 6 months) and it's pretty good. Much shootier than WfC, which I remember being more evenly balanced between shooting and vehicle sections. I love stealth games, but the 'stealth' bits with Cliffjumper can gently caress right off, seriously.

Also, after being totally ok with not getting one, I now really want a Metroplex. :ohdear:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Citizen Stack is simpler than some Voyagers and that's not what I come to MPs for, dammit. It's a simple stupid toy for dumb babies.

I came in on RID. I saw kids lose their minds over Omega Prime and I said NAY! I will master you. I can transform MP-01 in 60 seconds flat. I need MORE COMPLEXITY or I'll feel cheated. Give me partsforming! Bring me combiners! GIVE ME MP MEGATRON, AND I WILL DEFEAT IT!

This is a really weird post. Stack is slightly more complicated than any of the MP autobot cars so far, so are they also "for babies" (and I don't think you want to start pulling at THAT particular thread)?

And having started collecting during Beast Wars Omega Prime was a cakewalk compared to TM2 Megatron, but that doesn't mean I don't like ROTF Hubcap or United Windcharger or any of the other awesome simpler transformers. Is this hobby really focused on transformation complexity for you?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Maybe I came on a bit strong, I suppose, but largely I am all about the transformation complexity. It's my favorite thing. It's why I buy Transformers, for the transformations.

And I'm sure Stack is marginally more complex than MP Prowl, but he's also like 4 times the size, so his transformation "density" is a little low, if you get my meaning. I need folding tabs and rotating headlights! The ROTF line was a dream come true!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Then get the fansproject diesel. I has lots of lovely tabs and nightmare bits.

Ah wow, that's interesting. So it's not just attached to a white Prime?

Have to admit that Ultra Magnus is a huge blind spot for me. Something about him just never really grabbed me.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 20, 2014

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Maybe I came on a bit strong, I suppose, but largely I am all about the transformation complexity. It's my favorite thing. It's why I buy Transformers, for the transformations.

And I'm sure Stack is marginally more complex than MP Prowl, but he's also like 4 times the size, so his transformation "density" is a little low, if you get my meaning. I need folding tabs and rotating headlights! The ROTF line was a dream come true!

Huh, interesting. I definitely like my complexity somewhere in the middle, topping out somewhere just short of MP Starscream or so. And you're right, Stack is definitely not "dense" with steps. But like I said a ways back, I bought Stack on his own merits, not necessarily as something better than or equal to MP Magnus-- largely because we don't actually know much of anything about MP Magnus!

Man I feel for you, things are definitely trending away from complexity in the main lines. :( If you haven't, you should check out Beast Wars/BW2/Neo, there's some crazy frigging transformations in there.

Keldroc posted:

I don't even disagree with you, but I'll be damned if I can come up with "the PRiD Vehicon" of partsforming. I'm trying to remember a TF that relies on partsforming, partsforming that was elegant and intuitive, that didn't leave me wishing there was a better way. The closest I can come is Trypticon's pal Brunt, because there's no other way to go from buildings to a tank. Maybe Godbomber?

And I mean a "standard" transformer, of course, Headmaster/Breastforce features are kind of their own thing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The_Doctor posted:

I love stealth games, but the 'stealth' bits with Cliffjumper can gently caress right off, seriously.

If you're making a TF game with a stealth bit, why on earth would you put Cliffjumper in it?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

BizarroAzrael posted:

If you're making a TF game with a stealth bit, why on earth would you put Cliffjumper in it?
Because High Moon didn't really manage to WAIT WAIT QUOTE THE 86 MOVIE MORE SILENCE ALL CRITICISM oh right never mind

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Ever read Spotlight: Cliffjumper?

Cliffjumper works best alone.

Cliffjumper is the Anti-Bee.

Cliffjumper is an assassin.

The first time I played that level I played like I was playing a stealth game. While it worked, that's not how I think you're supposed to do it.

You just need to get behind everyone and murder them with melee attacks when their backs are turned. Cliffjumper is fast enough to stay out of the green line-of-sight lasers. There are a couple tunnels you can get into in car mode that you're effectively invisible in if you're having a tough time.

Remember, they can't raise an alarm if they're dead, and enemies don't become alert if they see a body.

Also: Jazz fist bump. A physical representation of having The Touch, also: The Power.

Yeah.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The stealth bits with Mirage in the DOTM game were actually kind of fun, and I enjoyed the grappling/sniping sections with Jazz in FOC.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I don't even disagree with you, but I'll be damned if I can come up with "the PRiD Vehicon" of partsforming. I'm trying to remember a TF that relies on partsforming, partsforming that was elegant and intuitive, that didn't leave me wishing there was a better way. The closest I can come is Trypticon's pal Brunt, because there's no other way to go from buildings to a tank. Maybe Godbomber?

And I mean a "standard" transformer, of course, Headmaster/Breastforce features are kind of their own thing.

Most combiners come to mind, since I think it's been effectively proven that trying to include all the parts on the robots themselves just leads to heartache and pain. RiD Omega Prime. In recent memory, FP Diesel's partsforming results in a fantastic truck mode, the best representation of Motormaster's robot mode ever, and a really well proportioned Menasor. Aside from a few stubborn fits (looking at you, arm connectors), the results are hard to argue with.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 20, 2014

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

G1 Omega Supreme? That guy is the dictionary definition of Partsforming. And considering how "together" his robot mode looks after basically becoming his own playset, I think he counts as elegant (as much as a giant robot can be, from the 80's).

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Anora posted:

G1 Omega Supreme? That guy is the dictionary definition of Partsforming. And considering how "together" his robot mode looks after basically becoming his own playset, I think he counts as elegant (as much as a giant robot can be, from the 80's).

I agree with this but I've noticed a lot of anti-Omega sentiment in the fandom, as though he wasn't the hottest drat thing that Christmas. He walks, he rolls on tracks, he blasts off into space, he picks stuff up...dude was the total package.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

Yeah, plus I'd technically call the current G1 Legends line Targetmasters considering they come with little buddies that transform into their weapons. The third mode makes it arguably non-Targetmaster but if G1 could call Piranacon a Targetmaster I think the Legends qualify.

The G1 target masters became little men as their alt mode.

The Legends guys just become robots, vehicles/devices and weapons. Lets also not forget Generations Scoop which comes with the old style target masters.

Generations made it possible for waspinator to duel wield two versions of himself as weapons. Redundancy like that hasn't been seen since Universe 2.0 where Galaxy Force Prime was able to combine with the two different versions of Leo Prime since Galaxy Force prime was re-released in Universe 2.0.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

The G1 target masters became little men as their alt mode.

The Legends guys just become robots, vehicles/devices and weapons. Lets also not forget Generations Scoop which comes with the old style target masters.

So you agree they're Targetmasters or not? Because Piranacon is described as a Targetmaster in G1-era text, even though the Seacons are not little men and have robot and creature modes in addition to their weapon modes.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Keldroc posted:

anti-Omega sentiment in the fandom,

How can someone hate Omega loving Supreme

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

So you agree they're Targetmasters or not? Because Piranacon is described as a Targetmaster in G1-era text, even though the Seacons are not little men and have robot and creature modes in addition to their weapon modes.

I agree that they're targetmasters. They're just not the same type of targetmaster that was in g1.

Blackheart posted:

They can be mad about the Platinum release being dwarfed by Metroplex or something.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Blackheart posted:

For some the partsforming hate runs deep.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Anora posted:

THERE we go. I wasn't fully on board with Keldroc's suggestion of combiners because that's still in service of a specific gimmick, but OS is a pretty great example. There's just no other way to do everything OS can, and achieve that play set alt mode, without partsforming.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The Machine Robo giant 17 inch train bot had zero parts forming, formed a giant massive robot, had working claws, and could function as a base because it fit smaller guys inside.

It just wasn't battery powered, but then again omega Supreme was really from the late 70's before it became a transformer so it was ahead of it's time.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Look who has a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGv4Vbn7bFI

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Machine Robo giant 17 inch train bot had zero parts forming, formed a giant massive robot, had working claws, and could function as a base because it fit smaller guys inside.

It just wasn't battery powered, but then again omega Supreme was really from the late 70's before it became a transformer so it was ahead of it's time.

But, as a result, it looked like this, so the point is kind of moot.

Not until the Transformers RiD line would a more hilarious leg-to-rest-of-robot proportion be achieved, perhaps not coincidentally by another trainbot.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 21, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

Not until the Transformers RiD line would a more hilarious leg-to-rest-of-robot proportion be achieved, perhaps not coincidentally by another trainbot.

Ultra Magnus is not a train. :colbert:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Blackheart posted:

Remember those folks who love shattered glass?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Keldroc posted:

I've noticed a lot of anti-Omega sentiment in the fandom

Why is there no Lemongrab smiley just saying "Unacceptable" forever, it is needed in just this situation.

That said, ten years ago, I moved and during moving a box of transformers fell off the movers truck, it had my pretty much complete Omega Supreme in it. I found out he was in that box eight years after the fact, cause I just couldn't look in the box. There was much sadness those days.

Also I am one of those Scoop fan boys Thew talks about, Generations Scoop made me giddy, he's just a mostly perfect update, and I loved G1 scoop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I can sorta Understand why people think Omega Supreme sucks, because there has yet to be a toy that fully encompasses what an Omega Supreme is supposed to be.

This is coming from someone who has G1 Omega Supreme, Energon Omega Supreme, Energon Omega Sentinel, and Platinum Omega Supreme.

They just never feel Omega or Supreme enough. They're also dwarfed by Metroplex when they should probably be the same size or bigger. I mean you give him a giant claw but the claw is too small to properly pick up a leader class. He never got a proper toy for his Animated form or a proper toy for his WFC/FOC mode which were all these giant behemoth wrecking things. Granted if they were to do a proper update he would have to be a battle tank with a giant rocket/spaceship attached or something, but he's been mostly trains for all his other toy alt modes. Yeah his other half is a battleship but it's the weaker half because it doesn't have the massive claw arm. Hell he has a dome head and the only one to pull it off without looking stupid(Brawn, Gears), he should be the transformer equivalent of the Juggernaut, but he keeps getting these inferior plastic representations of himself.