Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

syscall girl posted:

Perpetually the bath tub lady from The Shining.

That's the worst part of that movie. I have to look away when I get to it. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Nah, the worst part of The Shining is the entire film. The miniseries is way, way better. :can:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Nah, the worst part of The Shining is the entire film. The miniseries is way, way better. :can:

What about the officially licensed novelization?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, much like our favourite author, the Shining also features a scene where the lead's cum is dripping down his wife's leg. So it's pretty good!

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Since everything in real literature is a metaphor for something else, so too must the cum dripping down a leg be. Mayhaps it represents the fleeting nature of life. As the cum drips netherward towards oblivion, so does our very life weave.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

No "winter is coming" jokes? For shame bad thread, for shame.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pentyne posted:

In the books it seemed that the wives (Cersi, Cat, Cat's sister) were mid-30s. Cat's oldest was Robb at 14, so she was probably 18-20 when she had him, making her 35 at the latest. Same for Cersi, but likely even younger.

According to the wiki she was 35 when she died, and the actress playing her is 50. Of course, Sansa is still supposed to be 14 in the show and she'll be 22 by the time Baelish takes her as his Cat-replacement.

Cat was likely even younger when married based on everything else in the books. The nobles all seem to marry at 14-16. That's make her barely 30 though.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

She was born in the year 264, and died in 299. So indeed 35.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

also robb died at 16 or w/e so she was 19 when they were married before the war i guess

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

syscall girl posted:

Yeah but semen never appears in great literature. :colbert:

Me and my ultra-homie Joyce gonna disagree with you there, to the max.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

I just got this recommended to me on Amazon. Apparently Dozois and the Gurm are releasing another collection of short stories this June, featuring a new ASoIaF tale "chronicling one of the biggest rogues in the entire history of Ice and Fire". That can only be Ser Pounce.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Joramun posted:

I just got this recommended to me on Amazon. Apparently Dozois and the Gurm are releasing another collection of short stories this June, featuring a new ASoIaF tale "chronicling one of the biggest rogues in the entire history of Ice and Fire". That can only be Ser Pounce.

It's actually Daemon "My spouse/niece is the true Heir to the throne" Targaryen. So it's probably about him fighting against the Kingdom of the Three Daughters (Myr/Lys/Tyrosh) in the Stepstone. On his dragon.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

See, guys? He totally is working on the series, it's just all these little short stories you need to buy three times in different collections because he publishes slightly different versions in each one. Stop hating. :rolleye:

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Shoehead posted:

That's the worst part of that movie. I have to look away when I get to it. :gonk:

After seeing that scene and reading the book, for years as a teen I couldn't be in a bathroom with a closed shower curtain. I'd have to dramatically sweep it aside in order to poop, otherwise every noise was that horrible woman coming to get me.

Basically what I imagine Stannis' married life is like.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I like the new thread title. But I read it as "ASoIaF: The Officially Licensed Novelization of HBO's shitshow Game of Thrones" and like it even better that way :getin:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Robb is only 16 when he dies? Why are all the characters in the books so loving young?

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Robb is only 16 when he dies? Why are all the characters in the books so loving young?

GRRM like 'um that way

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

See, guys? He totally is working on the series, it's just all these little short stories you need to buy three times in different collections because he publishes slightly different versions in each one. Stop hating. :rolleye:
Also note he wrote it because of the excellent reaction to his last novella in previous anthology. So he probably wrote it during the last year...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

For some bizarre reason he wanted a 5 year time skip in the middle of the novels.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He went on record saying all the kid characters should be aged up like 3 years. The man is really not good with numbers.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Gritty realism. Medieval simulation books.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I'm not sure there were many 16 year old warlords hopping around Medieval Europe.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There were plenty.

But they all died.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I fear there are plenty of 16 year olds hoping around Gurms basement :(

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I assume that the first scene he wrote was Dany topping Drogo on her 14th birthday and then built the timeline of the series around it

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

rypakal posted:

I assume that the first scene he wrote was Dany topping Drogo on her 14th birthday and then built the timeline of the series around it

Wait Dany was only 14 when she was married off to Drago? Oh loving hell GRRM.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait Dany was only 14 when she was married off to Drago? Oh loving hell GRRM.

She was 13. She takes control of her sexual power on her 14th name day

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
reminder: 18 year old viserys was twisting his 13 year old sister's nipples

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

rypakal posted:

Awesome world builder.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

rypakal posted:

Silly me for thinking Dany was 18 for some reason. Nice

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jeffrey posted:

reminder: 18 year old viserys was twisting his 13 year old sister's nipples

Reminder: Viserys died a completely awesome death for being a jackass.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
surely you mean a completely AUsome death.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Basically what I do for my own sanity is pretend everyone in ASoIaF is five-ten years older than GRRM says they are. It does wonders for my sanity.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So according to GRRM's timeline how old is Dany during the scat fetish scene? 15?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

Basically what I do for my own sanity is pretend everyone in ASoIaF is five-ten years older than GRRM says they are. It does wonders for my sanity.

As previously mentioned, GRRM actually says this too.

So just retcon 5 years onto everyone.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I saw the show before I read the books, so I always pictured the characters as their actors. So Dany was 24 year old Emilia Clarke to me in all those sex scenes, not the creepy rear end poo poo GRRM originally wrote it as.

That Mercy chapter was still weird as hell to read while picturing Maisie Williams though.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Awesome world builder.

You know, Dany even being around is weird. The mad king had two heirs and his heir had an heir. But, he was crazy so

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Silly me for thinking Dany was 18 for some reason. Nice

Chapter 23, I think the end of the third Daenerys chapter. I'd copy it but the kindle app is fucktarded.

And I was wrong, she discovers she's pregnant on her 14th birthday. The topping scene is the previous paragraph.

rypakal fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 21, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm not sure there were many 16 year old warlords hopping around Medieval Europe.

Because you see, medieval times were basically like modern high school but more a lot more killing, rape and dragons.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kavak posted:

He went on record saying all the kid characters should be aged up like 3 years. The man is really not good with numbers.

whatever, that is a smokescreen. "oops look at me I'm bad with numbers!" I'll buy that with the wall, but not with the ages of his protagonists.

Personally, I never had much issue with their ages, and I thought the story made sense that way. Robb ACTS like a loving 16 year old. Dany with her "I am but a simple girl" poo poo works because she IS a simple girl. Sansa's horrible decisions makes sense specifically because of her age. The story is about these kids being cast into this really rough adult world, and their age/innocence not being a shield.

I think Bran is a perfect example - childhood innocence, fun fun climb! wait! incest sex with the queen! WTF! An adult just pushed me out a loving window and broke my spine!

jsoh posted:

surely you mean a completely AUsome death.

What do you do with a dead king? Barium!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I just assume Planetos or whatever has a different number of days per year, kind of like how ages worked in Ian Mcdonald's Desolation Road (it was on mars, and characters ages were marked in mars-years, so one character at 10 mars-years was like, 18 earth years or something, but I don't think Mcdonald ever actual says what the earth-ages are).

So 13 year old Dany is actually a more consensual 18.