Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

a var of piss posted:

I appreciate you taking the time to share an opinion, which you believe to be true, on the internet.

Your blunt dismissal isn't very compelling; what's actually wrong with Tolth's posts? Or are you just being an arse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a var of piss
Nov 16, 2013

KKKlean Energy posted:

Your blunt dismissal isn't very compelling; what's actually wrong with Tolth's posts? Or are you just being an arse

There's no requirement to make a compelling argument against an opinion that makes an unsupported empirical claim.

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

mrpwase posted:

What's the thread's opinion on non-hierarchical workplace management? I know not too many of you are anarchists, but it's not too outlandish of an idea the way I see it.

Valve, the people behind Halflife, rather famously has a flat management structure. Not sure how this would translate to a semi-skilled workplace. Here's a few links from Googling:

Employee Handbook

‘It Felt a Lot Like High School’

the greatest workplace I've ever heard of

democracy-in-the-workplace

How going boss-free empowered the games-maker

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Chunk5 posted:

Valve, the people behind Halflife, rather famously has a flat management structure. Not sure how this would translate to a semi-skilled workplace. Here's a few links from Googling:

Employee Handbook

‘It Felt a Lot Like High School’

the greatest workplace I've ever heard of

democracy-in-the-workplace

How going boss-free empowered the games-maker

Heh, maybe that's why they haven't come out with Half Life 3.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
and, predictably, Valve is terrible at drudgery and customer contact.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

a var of piss posted:

There's no requirement to make a compelling argument against an opinion that makes an unsupported empirical claim.

There is a general expectation that your posts should include some content, debate, or discussion in this forum, though!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

This is pretty lovely, you for realsies shouldn't do it.

To be fair, I found it kinda funny? :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

peanut- posted:

Why would you when the base rent of anywhere to live is so high that the premium for a nice place isn't (relatively) that significant?

This is London centric, but around where I am it's probably about a £200 a month difference between getting a complete dump and getting a decent spec place. An extra £2400 a year in your savings account would be nice, but it's hard to argue it's the difference between buying and not buying compared to the insane purchase price of housing.

An extra £200 a month is for many people the difference between eating and not eating. :fuckoff:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
You know, when I think of CCTV, my first thought is, it just isn't pervasive enough. Luckily schools to the rescue!

The Guardian posted:

CCTV in classrooms turning teachers into lab rats, union warns

The use of closed-circuit video cameras is creeping into classrooms in Britain and turning teachers into "lab rats", according to a survey by the NASUWT union that found 8% of teachers reporting CCTV had been installed inside their schools and observing their lessons.

Worryingly, while staff and pupil safety was the most widely-cited reason for the installation of CCTV, a small percentage of teachers said the footage was used to directly monitor their performance.

The majority of teachers with CCTV-equipped classrooms said they could not turn off the cameras, and that they were recorded constantly. Some 55% said the recordings were monitored by head teachers and other senior management, and 41% said it was used in judging staff.

One teacher said: "In my school it has been used specifically with newly-qualified teachers that the senior leadership team think are not performing well."

Others reported that school management had viewed CCTV footage to justify disciplinary action.

"When I asked what my head of department was doing watching a colleague in this way, she said she was trying to catch him out," one teacher responded to the survey.

Chris Keates, the general secretary of NASUWT, said teachers were already observed by Ofsted and other school inspectors and visitors. "Lab rats have more professional privacy," she said.

The NASUWT conference in Birmingham is to debate a motion on Sunday arguing that teachers endure undue monitoring "beyond any reasonable justification".

"The stories teachers recounted to us in the survey are a shocking catalogue of professional disrespect and unacceptable intrusion," Keates said.

"No other professionals are subjected to such appalling treatment. No one should be subjected to the stress and pressure of being watched constantly."

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/apr/20/cctv-classroom-teachers-school-lab-rats

I know it's somewhat cliche to refer to panopticon, but it really does seem that there's a general trend of ostensible and general surveillance. If you convince people they're being watched all the time, they'll start to behave as if they are, even if they're not.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

"No questions asked" -> "a series of questions".

:cripes:

Edit: Holy poo poo, the Comment article on this story.

quote:

Biting the hand...

The Trussell Trust deserves much praise. It is a modest and hardworking Christian enterprise.

So it is a pity that it has been dragged into political controversy, by those who claim the growth of food banks is evidence of Government meanness.

It is no such thing. It may well show that even the most widespread safety net has gaps, which would be the case under any administration.

It certainly shows that if you give food away, you will never run short of people who want it.

But what it also sadly demonstrates is that there is always a minority who will exploit the kindness of others.

And because charities are run by generous and considerate people, that minority will get away with it.

A Mail on Sunday investigation found just that – with kind-hearted volunteers predictably breaking their own limits on parcel distribution.

This reflects badly only on those who accept charity not meant for them. They must live with their consciences.

But our revelations ought surely to bring an end to the crude, anti-Government propaganda which threatens to turn a noble enterprise into a political shouting-match.
:ironicat: I also like the 'biting the hand...' subtitle. Is this directed at benefit claimants who arrogantly believe they have a right to welfare, or is it insinuating that the Trussell Trust is primarily government funded or something?

Obviously the Trussell Trust has no interest in criticising the government, as this recent statement by their Chairman, Chris Mould, makes clear:

quote:

‘That 900,000 people have received three days’ food from a foodbank, close to triple the numbers helped last year, is shocking in 21st century Britain. But perhaps most worrying of all this figure is just the tip of the iceberg of UK food poverty, it doesn’t include those helped by other emergency food providers, those living in towns where there is no foodbank, people who are too ashamed to seek help or the large number of people who are only just coping by eating less and buying cheap food.

In the last year we’ve seen things get worse, rather than better, for many people on low-incomes. It’s been extremely tough for a lot of people, with parents not eating properly in order to feed their children and more people than ever experiencing seemingly unfair and harsh benefits sanctions.
Unless there is determined policy action to ensure that the benefits of national economic recovery reach people on low-incomes we won’t see life get better for the poorest anytime soon.

A more thoughtful approach to the administration of the benefits regime and sanctions in particular, increasing the minimum wage, introducing the living wage and looking at other measures such as social tariffs for essentials like energy would help to address the problem of UK hunger.’

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 20, 2014

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
It's very brave of their reporter Ross Slater to commit fraud to receive free benefits though, that's normally the kind of thing they're against. :ironicat:

Also only in Daily Mail World is someone who claims to be starving being given the food they need to survive A Bad Thing.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Also only in Daily Mail World is someone who claims to be starving being given the food they need to survive A Bad Thing.
If someone with the high moral scruples of a Mail reporter could do it, then obviously evey single one of those dirty thieving poors is doing it as well. :colbert:

quote:

Only 1 in 40 had turned to a foodbank for help, with more than 70 percent saying that they would only do so as a last resort. This reinforces evidence from the government’s recent DEFRA report which states that turning to a foodbank is very difficult for many. It also reinforces the fact that foodbank figures only reflect part of the problem of UK food poverty.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
He's right imo, it's raining and I can't be arsed to go to the shops so I might as well pop down the food bank instead where I'll have to answer a series of questions in an interview and fill out forms in order to receive a small amount of value-branded non-perishable goods. This is definitely a thing people do and not the paranoid anti-poor delusions of a Daily Mail reporter.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Kegluneq posted:

:ironicat: I also like the 'biting the hand...' subtitle. Is this directed at benefit claimants who arrogantly believe they have a right to welfare, or is it insinuating that the Trussell Trust is primarily government funded or something?

Obviously the Trussell Trust has no interest in criticising the government, as this recent statement by their Chairman, Chris Mould, makes clear:

I hope this guy has a breakdown looking into a mirror and realising what he's become.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Pesmerga posted:

I hope this guy has a breakdown looking into a mirror and realising what he's become.
It's writing for the daily mail. It stopped being human or having things like self-reflection long ago.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Forgall posted:

It's writing for the daily mail. It stopped being human or having things like self-reflection long ago.

Literally vampires, indeed.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
The reporter sounds like a really upstanding guy

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

It's very brave of their reporter Ross Slater to commit fraud to receive free benefits though, that's normally the kind of thing they're against. :ironicat:
Yeah seriously, where would one go to report this, i'll do it.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Looks like farage has gotten too close to actually being relevant and the push back to ensure that the UKIP is kept as a distraction only has started:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/20/marine-le-pen-nigel-farage-slander-antisemitism-claims

(Not only does Le Pen essentially say that Farage is a liar trying to bolster his public image, but the founder of UKIP has stated that Farage is a alcoholic, dim, racist, who once described black people as n*****s)

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

What can we expect in new week's MoS? "Our reporter called 999 and complained of the symptoms of a heart attack. But he was actually reading the symptoms off the INTERNET and bungling NHS chiefs sent out an ambulance for his MADE-UP claims!"

(page 9: child dies as ambulance doesn't arrive soon enough)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It seems like a lot of effort and time would be wasted trying to get free food when you can afford to get it with your own money. You'd have to be particularly dedicated to cheating the system to even bother trying.

So well done Mail on Sunday for going out of your way to pretend that starvation in Britain isn't a thing, I guess.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

But even if it isnt just total bullshit the man has openly claimed to commit a crime right?

e:

Surely something along the lines of:

To whom it may concern,

On the blah of April, Daily Mail reporter whathisface openly stated he had used fraudlent methods to obtain badly needed food parcels from a charitable organisition.

This concerns me, could you lookd into it please.

etc

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 20, 2014

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
He's openly admitted to stealing from a charity in order to bolster the conservative party, yes.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
even though it's fraud, only the most suicidal food bank will try to go after a reporter for nicking food parcels

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Looks like he's left his phone number up on his twitter that he deleted. Woopsie Dasies.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...lient=firefox-a

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

I hope you're not insinuating that we use this publicly available phone number to harrass this guy because you'd probably run afoul of the misuse of communications act.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

He also went for what was possibly the 'easiest' route to getting a food voucher - taking advantage of the CAB, another charitable organisation. Other referrals, made by doctors, health visitors, social workers, the police, or the JobCentre (iirc) would be considerably harder to fake as they are based on direct experience of the problems faced by clients.

The Citizens' Advice Bureau published a report in November last year on food voucher allocation. Ross Slater was certainly not representing the standard client with regards to his faked circumstances; the majority handled by the CAB had been affected by sanctions or delays.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
He looks so loving angry as well, surrounded by the spoils of communism charity. I hope the bastard chokes on it :allears:

e/ I say communism because if you break down his argument it's basically "look how easy it is to fool people for personal gain when they trust everyone to be honest in social interactions" which I'm most familiar with as a lovely excuse for why communism will never work.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 20, 2014

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Zero Gravitas posted:

I hope you're not insinuating that we use this publicly available phone number to harrass this guy because you'd probably run afoul of the misuse of communications act.
I might have accidently left a message saying I was hungrey and wondered if he had any food. Which is technically true so...

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Next week, Ross Slater goes into a hospital claiming to be feeling "depressed" and "suicidal" and is given FREE medical care without ANY examinations, except for an extensive discussion with a qualified doctor, during which he lied through his teeth until he was given FREE TREATMENT paid for by the TAXPAYER. BROKEN BRITAIN

(edit: okay, so Semprini made the same joke above in a better way and I didn't notice but we all know u-turns are a sign of weak government so I'm sticking with what I said, deal with it)

Angepain fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 20, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hahaha, the comments on that Daily Mail interview with the UKIP founder are great. How dare these pinko bastards insult our friend Vlad!

quote:

"Putin is clearly a nasty piece of work and Nigel probably identifies with that" I'd love to know who Sked identifies with. Among all the warmongers, liars and twisters in our western governments, Putin comes across as a leader we wish was ours.

(1296 upvotes)

quote:

I may agree with certain things but not that Putin is a nasty piece of work.

(932 upvotes)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Kegluneq posted:

Well this has just ruined my day, what a oval office. It pains me that my gran still reads this loving rag.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Wow, now that's anger inducing. What the gently caress did he expect them to do, a comprehensive background check? Hire a private investigator at five times the food cost to tail him for a week to see if he actually is starving to death?

I hope his life is desolate and the end of it is drawn out, painful and undignified.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Xachariah posted:

I hope his life is desolate and the end of it is drawn out, painful and undignified.
But he already is a Daily Mail reporter? :confused:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Its just loving reprehensible. The Daily Mial may be a known quantity as far as hate goes, but their inaccurate, irresponsible reporting is actually depriving people who need that aid, and meagre aid at that. I am sure there is no mention that the Mail made a donation to balance things up. I haven't read the article, because I want a drink first. Especially if I read the comments.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
In good news according to twitter apparently the article has given Food bank donations a huge boost.

Still amazed it was even published. Ignore the fact that it's a Christian organisation that feeds the poor and this article was published on Easter. They turned up, lied to a charity, stole from a charity under the pretense they were hungry and needed the food, laid the Tescos value loot out in someone's backyard with the guy who did it looking disgusted at the charities for letting him do that and they thought "Yeah, this is a good way of showing that nobody is starving in Britain."

How do you do that and not realise "Oh gently caress, I'm the bad guy. I'm the villain." How do you read that and not realise "Oh poo poo, I'm on the side of monsters".

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

How do you do that and not realise "Oh gently caress, I'm the bad guy. I'm the villain." How do you read that and not realise "Oh poo poo, I'm on the side of monsters".

Because people like that enjoy being the monsters.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Daily Mail: the rat's anus of journalism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ross Slater, charity baiter posted:

All food returned to saint Philip church Notts at 0930 plus small donation

Well that's it all better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Gonzo McFee posted:

Well that's it all better now.

:golfclap: Bravissimo, fuckstick. You still used a major Christian holiday to say charity is wrong. Maybe if you had donated your fee for the 'journalism' to the food bank, people might actually think that whilst not agreeing with your warped super-scrooge beliefs, you at least had the courage of your terrible convictions.

• Locked thread