Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I know I'm going to regret this, but I'm sure someone in here can help. I was just asked if I knew the name of a game that sounds... interesting.

[name removed]: I'm looking for the name of a tabletop game.
Syrg: Okay, hit me
[name removed]: it's one where the entire goal is to have sex.
[name removed]: and the DM's entire job is to cockblock you.

gently caress if I know what that is.

Bliss Stage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I know I'm going to regret this, but I'm sure someone in here can help. I was just asked if I knew the name of a game that sounds... interesting.

Gau kinda mentioned Apocalypse World and I kinda agree.

I mean, to someone who isn't really familiar with Apocalypse World, they might put too much emphasis on the sex moves and then think that the GM is out to screw your players over.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
There's a section about relationships in TFOS- Teenagers from Outer Space, where it points out that if at any point things look like they're going to get beyond making out, it's the GM's duty to interfere for maximum comedy value. That's as close as I can think of, really.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I had considered that initially but honestly, everything in the GM's section all but tells you that the PCs should just have a giant naked orgy to make things more 'interesting'.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Maybe someone got confused and ran Everyone is (a) John, the game about a guy with multiple personalities desperately trying to hire a prostitute.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I gotta think that's a poorly understood view of Apocalypse World.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I'm embarrassed having a suggestion no-one has made yet but isn't this Wraethu?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
That's a good one, but honestly I really think the person in question means Kagematsu, though like Kwyndig said that's not really what Kagematsu is about.

Unless there's some additional context?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I quoted everything I had.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I quoted everything I had.

Sounds more like a request to create a system rather than an existing system.

I propose one where the GM plays the older sibling to the player PCs who are all going to the Big Dance[tm] and the GM must successfully chaperon the party while players must try to sneak away.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Barudak posted:

Sounds more like a request to create a system rather than an existing system.

I propose one where the GM plays the older sibling to the player PCs who are all going to the Big Dance[tm] and the GM must successfully chaperon the party while players must try to sneak away.

That could actually be an interesting game.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

That could actually be an interesting game.

Eh, I played the first edition. It wasn't that great.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I never thought to ask when I was a kid, but what precisely happens after Daddy is awoken?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Sagan posted:

I never thought to ask when I was a kid, but what precisely happens after Daddy is awoken?

It kicks your rear end back to the start of the board and the Daddy Randomizer is reset for the next child looking to get snacks in the middle of the night.

Note: This game was invented in the 90s and "Daddy" has a goddamn sleeping cap.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Barudak posted:

It kicks your rear end back to the start of the board and the Daddy Randomizer is reset for the next child looking to get snacks in the middle of the night.

Note: This game was invented in the 90s and "Daddy" has a goddamn sleeping cap.

Sounds a lot like old school Dungeons and Dragons with an especially douchey DM.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Sagan posted:

Sounds a lot like old school Dungeons and Dragons with an especially douchey DM.

Its more similar than you think; you're designated a certain noise to specialize in. A spin resulting in an un-optimized noise forces you to press the Summon Daddy button with increasingly harsh penalties as the campaign to reach the fridge progresses. Upon summoning daddy you start the game from the beginning again presumably as the same child except you are inexplicably now trained in a different noise.

Melf, Gelf, and Telf eat your hearts out.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
I've been gone a while, what... happened to the NEXT thread and whats with the place it's gone to?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Asphyxious posted:

I've been gone a while, what... happened to the NEXT thread and whats with the place it's gone to?

I was mostly full of white noise, so it was sent to a place full of white noise and also I guess winson didn't feel like dealing with it anymore.

Iunno, the posting atmosphere is pretty chill in that thread now so I don't see the big deal.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It went to neo-YCS.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I do miss the cooking thread element of it, though. That's been lost in its new, badly colored state.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I ran Torchbearer yesterday.

Torchbearer owns pretty hard, guys.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I really want to play Torchbearer someday. :(

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I would like to see more character creator apps in games in general and I think that kind of thing would make a very good stretch goal for future kickstarters, along the lines of "extra ten thousand bucks, hire a decent programmer to slap together a decent UI and make sure everything runs while I take the extra time to make sure everything interacts properly."

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I ran Torchbearer yesterday.

Torchbearer owns pretty hard, guys.

What made it so good? What happened in your game?

quote:

I would like to see more character creator apps in games in general and I think that kind of thing would make a very good stretch goal for future kickstarters, along the lines of "extra ten thousand bucks, hire a decent programmer to slap together a decent UI and make sure everything runs while I take the extra time to make sure everything interacts properly."

Definitely. The character builder for 4e made the game so much more appealing for me.

Even a spreadsheet or fairly simple program (like the Black Book web app for Trail of Cthulhu) makes generating characters a lot less time-consuming or intimidating for first-time players. It's especially nice in ToC since there's a few fiddly character creation rules intended to preserve the "feel" of the game. They're a pain to remember and take up space on the usual character sheet, but the character generator can just check your math with no fuss.

That said, it'd be really nice if character generators would include "homebrew mode" or whatever, when you can check a box that says you aren't using the standard math (say, for a boss NPC) and you'd like the program not to refuse to save your character sheet because it doesn't like the math,

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Sionak posted:

So I'll try to answer both questions and give a brief summary of how we enjoyed the game with shot out to respond.

I'm a lazy gently caress and I bought this game at PAX and literally just read the book 8 times in my copious free time (I'm a grad student actively teaching 2 courses so that was minimal). So one week of having the book and 3 days of I Guess I'm Running a Game because my Dungeon World group said yes.

Anyway, we go through character creation. 1) I think Luke Crane loving hates elves since the one player that picked that option kept getting screwed over. 2) Otherwise character creation is a breeze and I liked it. Not as simple as PbtA poo poo, but still do-able at the table unlike D&D or whatever.

The adventure was an inn that had been attacked by kobolds ; the players are trying to rescue all the inhabitants and figure out why everything is hosed.

They promptly fell prey to a trapped staircase that collapsed under them, fought some giant rats and then discovered a puppy and some treasure ; I thought this gave a pretty good old-school feel.

Then they captured a guard-post of kobolds (sexily using the same rules as killing the rats and we enjoyed the mini-game) and marched them south towards the giant spider that made the kobolds leave their ancestral caverns. But there was a pit trap in between and the players spent a literal hour debating that before giving up.

(Note, the system for tracking torches is actually really good and I like their faces every time I said, "Your torch is starting to dim...". So. Much. Hatred. But in a fun way?)

Then they came upon a group of kobolds holding like kobold court and tried to convince them that they could totally take care of the giant spider. They failed horribly but took the compromise that they would engage in single combat for an exchange of prisoners. Which was a one turn knock out where the player beat the poo poo out of a lady kobold (the adventure was very specific on kobold sexual dimporhism because okay sure).

So they swap their captured kobolds for the inkeeper and his family, return them to the surface (with puppy!~!!) and then go spider hunting.

Various cave-related shenanigans later they have like 10 conditions each and they get the the spider's lair. They try to riddle it just because there are rules for riddling and they wanted to see what it's like, but they couldn't come up with a goal.

So they just murdered it.

Then they made camp.

I really liked how fluid the conflict system was and I really think the inventory management aspect owned really hard.

This has been my story. But maybe I'm an rear end in a top hat. Probably that.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Sionak posted:

Definitely. The character builder for 4e made the game so much more appealing for me.

Even a spreadsheet or fairly simple program (like the Black Book web app for Trail of Cthulhu) makes generating characters a lot less time-consuming or intimidating for first-time players. It's especially nice in ToC since there's a few fiddly character creation rules intended to preserve the "feel" of the game. They're a pain to remember and take up space on the usual character sheet, but the character generator can just check your math with no fuss.

That said, it'd be really nice if character generators would include "homebrew mode" or whatever, when you can check a box that says you aren't using the standard math (say, for a boss NPC) and you'd like the program not to refuse to save your character sheet because it doesn't like the math,

I should do up a spreadsheet for my game.
And then get my IT guy to make a not-lovely version.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Xiahou Dun posted:

This has been my story. But maybe I'm an rear end in a top hat. Probably that.

Awesome. I'm currently running DW myself and was partly wondering if something like Torchbearer would be too crunchy for my usual players, but that game sounds like a blast. It brings back memories of setting kobolds on fire in the first D&D game I played, in fact.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Compared to DW it is hella crunchy, but it's not D&D levels of fiddly bullshit.

The conflict rules are actually really slick and intuitive once you get the hang of them, and we really liked how they were a fun little mini-game. Like, the conflict rules are independently fun as a game in and of themselves.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I'm planning on running some quick tutorials of Mythender at this weekend's MtG Journey Into Nyx pre-release (with the store's permission, naturally). For the unaware, Mythender is a system designed entirely around killin' gods, and Journey Into Nyx is also about killin' gods.

Exactly how bad or good an idea is this?

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

ungulateman posted:

I'm planning on running some quick tutorials of Mythender at this weekend's MtG Journey Into Nyx pre-release (with the store's permission, naturally). For the unaware, Mythender is a system designed entirely around killin' gods, and Journey Into Nyx is also about killin' gods.

Exactly how bad or good an idea is this?

Running Mythender is a great idea because Mythender is great and everyone should go here and download it for free and play it now.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Oh hey, speaking of which, I just wanted to put this offer out there if anyone has a product they're trying to get promoted:

I'm going to be running games (oh god so many games) at RAGECon Reno in June, if you have something to sell and would like me to run demo games of it I would be happy to do so pro bono (aside from a copy of the product to actually run, of course) just to get a break from running like 72 hours of Dungeon World and FAE.

So, uh, I guess if you want a really small group of dorks in Reno to be briefly exposed to your RPG let me know and I'll see about getting it slotted in.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 23, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Are there any RPGs out there that do a good job of keeping things playable/interesting when you split the party?
And what about them specifically makes it work?

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

P.d0t posted:

Are there any RPGs out there that do a good job of keeping things playable/interesting when you split the party?

Better Angels is very well suited for that, since every player plays two characters: their human and someone else's demon. So even if your human isn't in the scene, you're probably playing the demon of a human who is, or t'other way round. For an archetypal party-of-five:

Alex is playing Andrew, possessed by Abraxas, and Belphegor, possessing Berenice
Betty is playing Beatrice, possessed by Belphegor, and Caiaphas, possessing Charlie
Connor is playing Charlie, possessed by Caiaphas, and Delilah, possessing Danielle
Diego is playing Danielle, possessed by Delilah, and Ereminodes, posessing Enid
Eleanor is playing Enid, possessed by Ereminodes, and Abraxas, possessing Andrew

A party-split where only Beatrice, Charlie, and Enid are in the current scene still leaves Alex with something to do (play Belphegor) and likewise Diego (play Ereminodes). Topologically congruent splits are less effective, since the links aren't idempotent (playing the demon of someone present works, but playing the demon of someone who isn't there is less interesting, so a BCD table fragment still gives Alex something to do but Eleanor's options are 'have Enid, who is offstage, react to whatever Diego says her demon is up to', which is less elegant.

Dammit, now tabletop games are making me want to brush up on my graph theory.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

P.d0t posted:

Apocalypse World, since it's designed to not have a party at all. It works because of fiction comes first - you don't roll very often and there's very little maths to do to figure out a move.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Ars Magica has troupe-style play, where each player gets a wizard, a significant companion, and a couple of normals. Since wizards spend a lot of time locked up in towers doing research, you swap to one of your alt characters for adventuring. The same goes for rotating GMs.

Haha, wow, I finally got rid of that "stupid newbie" avatar! Took me a year and a half to get noticed. :toot:
Kind of unhappy it wasn't for something not posted on the forums, though; IRC just feels like cheating, like it's not a authentic avatar&title.
Edit
I need to pay this forward somehow.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 24, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'm a sucker for pre-painted miniatures games but I'm trying to be a little more careful. Has anyone played Confrontation?

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rkh-cfac04u.html

It's rated low on BGG, but the review I read said it's pretty decent.

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 24, 2014

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

SquadronROE posted:

I'm a sucker for pre-painted miniatures games but I'm trying to be a little more careful. Has anyone played Confrontation?

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rkh-cfac04u.html

It's rated low on BGG, but the review I read said it's pretty decent.

Their prepaints aren't that great, but they are serviceable (with a wash or just repainting or whatever). It has also been out of print for quite a while, hence the low low clearance price on miniaturemarket. Can't say anything about the actual game, but the price is right if you want a handful of knights and werewolf/gnoll guys and a pretty sweet terrain piece.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I've never heard of queer storygames before. What are some good ones?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Evil Sagan posted:

Easy answer? MONSTERHEARTS in big circled letters.

Also Hot Guys Making Out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Evil Sagan posted:

Monsterhearts is probably the best.

The same person, Joe McDaldno, also made a free game called Dream Askew that's meant to be a queer-focused GM-less Apocalypse World, but ehhhh, I didn't like it as much.

EDIT:

Davin Valkri posted:

Also Hot Guys Making Out...

Hahahaha. My friend has a copy of that. I keep meaning to do a F&F of it.

Spincut fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 24, 2014

• Locked thread