Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I heard GELO mentioned and have been tinkering with it for the past day trying to get it to work. Anyone else find it finnicky? I got it running through my Mod Manager and the patch won't hit any errors, but it just stops at 100% during importing and sits there.

Also, I'm gonna chime in and join the others who've recommended the Frostfall/Realistic Needs and Diseases/Hunterborn stack. I don't think I can go back to playing vanilla after this, and stranding myself with an alternate start mod makes it that much better. You do need a mod to make combat more dangerous to get the whole survival experience though: I used SkyRe for awhile, but its reliance on funneling points into skill-up perks is making me miss SPERG. What other mods should I look at to make the environment and wildlife/combat more dangerous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Flagrant Abuse posted:

You do still need to have both BG1 and BG2 installed to install Tutu, though, which (generally) presumes that you do own them both to start with. I don't think you need to own Morrowind to make use of Skywind.

You do need to own Morrowind. Specifically the GOTY edition.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Flagrant Abuse posted:

You do still need to have both BG1 and BG2 installed to install Tutu, though, which (generally) presumes that you do own them both to start with. I don't think you need to own Morrowind to make use of Skywind.

That's the thing - Tutu was a product of its time, when everyone was less hysterically oversensitive about copyright violations. Skywind could probably have been developed even faster than it already has were it designed the same way Tutu was - to look for and draw resources directly from a Morrowind installation that are improved for use in Skyrim. I imagine a lot of structural and environmental meshes in Morrowind would work just as well in Skyrim once you upgrade the resolution of the textures applied to it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

The Mad Archivist posted:

I imagine a lot of structural and environmental meshes in Morrowind would work just as well in Skyrim once you upgrade the resolution of the textures applied to it.
You can't grab a mesh from Morrowind and plug it into Skyrim. The nif files are different, so you'll have to do quite some fiddling to make it work.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Using SPERG I'm now at Level 5 but have 4 perk points available. I updated the skycapper INI using SPERG's version and ran "Reset perks", but still have 4 perk points. What obvious thing am I doing wrong?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
edit: nevermind

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've hit a bit of a weird bug and wondered if anyone has any ideas. I'm mid-way through Moonpath to Elsweyr and my character is unable to equip or use spells. If I select them the hand comes up for a fraction of a second with the spell effect on it, then it automatically unequips it. Scrolls work fine, as do weapons in either hand, and on loading savegames from a couple of hours back the spells work there.

Any ideas for a fix?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Ynglaur posted:

Using SPERG I'm now at Level 5 but have 4 perk points available. I updated the skycapper INI using SPERG's version and ran "Reset perks", but still have 4 perk points. What obvious thing am I doing wrong?

Are you using Mod Organizer? Install the SKSE Uncapper in the Skyrim directory by hand, but let MO handle the override file normally as part of the package.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Raygereio posted:

You can't grab a mesh from Morrowind and plug it into Skyrim. The nif files are different, so you'll have to do quite some fiddling to make it work.

But once you figure out the fiddling process *once,* you can build ways to automate it and do it in batch. The only thing stopping Skywind from doing that is copyright concerns, which is why they're making everything from scratch.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I've developed a small problem. Every now and then leaving an inn kneecaps my framerate from a steady 40-50 outside/unwavering 60 inside into 10-15 frames per second outdoors, no matter how much or little is being rendered on the screen. Even control input lags behind.

During hiccups like this Process Explorer shows that Skyrim is suddenly lashing my poor GTX 750Ti for everything it's got and more. Quitting and reloading fixes the problem, but purging the GPU memory or ClearInvalidRegistrations magic don't help a bit. Any ideas?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

scamtank posted:

Are you using Mod Organizer? Install the SKSE Uncapper in the Skyrim directory by hand, but let MO handle the override file normally as part of the package.

I am. Both the Uncapper and SPERG files are identical at this point, however.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Scyantific posted:

Did you make sure to turn off AntiAliasing and Anisotropic Filtering in the MO SkyrimPrefs INI File? Easiest way to do that is to add the Skyrim Launcher to the MO executables list and run it once.

Ah this was it, it didn't dawn on me that it would be using mod organizers own .ini files for that.

Thanks for the help!

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

scamtank posted:

I've developed a small problem. Every now and then leaving an inn kneecaps my framerate from a steady 40-50 outside/unwavering 60 inside into 10-15 frames per second outdoors, no matter how much or little is being rendered on the screen. Even control input lags behind.

During hiccups like this Process Explorer shows that Skyrim is suddenly lashing my poor GTX 750Ti for everything it's got and more. Quitting and reloading fixes the problem, but purging the GPU memory or ClearInvalidRegistrations magic don't help a bit. Any ideas?

Are you using an ENB? This is a thing that happens for some people (including me) when using it. For me, turning off enb with Shift+12, going into the map, waiting a bit, turning enb back on and exiting the map often fixes it, but not always. Sometimes it fixes itself. Apparently alt-tabbing out of the game and back in can fix it if you're lucky enough that this doesn't just crash the game. Official word on the ENB forums is 'nobody has any goddamn idea what causes this.'

If you're not using ENB then... I have no idea.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I am, actually. I'll try that the next time it happens. Thanks.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I heard GELO mentioned and have been tinkering with it for the past day trying to get it to work. Anyone else find it finnicky? I got it running through my Mod Manager and the patch won't hit any errors, but it just stops at 100% during importing and sits there.

The enchantments in GELO look really cool, I wish I could get them without having to futz around with a proccer or whatever.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Disable ASIS and LLI before running GELO. Re-enable them afterwards. that's the only thing I've had throw exceptions at me for.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

LtSmash posted:

Edit:
I have an alpha version of Signature Weapons but for skyrim that I've been putting off working the bugs out of because it means actually bug testing in skyrim. Anyone hate themselves enough to want to help with that? Also someone over on the bethesda forum inadvertently gave me a great idea for making Signature Armors work so if the kinks with weapons get worked out armors will probably follow soon after. PM me or steamID

I've been looking forward to this, so I'd be happy to help. As long as you're okay with me testing it in conjunction with SPERG.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Smol posted:

How viable are bound weapons in SPERG? Not looking anything crazy but it would be cool to have them at least the level of legendary regular weapons.

Pretty decent, although I only ever use bound sword.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
So, my current save is as stable as ever, but for some reason, the spell count for the mod Achieve That! is constantly expanding. A few minutes into starting a new character and the count is already at ~60 something while definitely not having that many spells at all. While definitely not gamebreaking, it's weirdly irritating for someone who's a big dumb nerd about his cheevooos, and I have absolutely no idea what could be causing it. Any ideas? Including my load order just in case.

Load Order posted:

00 Skyrim.esm
01 Update.esm
02 Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
03 XFLMain.esm
04 Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp [Version 2.0.3]
05 SPERG.esm
06 HighResTexturePack01.esp
07 HighResTexturePack02.esp
08 HighResTexturePack03.esp
09 RelightingSkyrim.esp
0A Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp [Version 1.1.6]
0B Chesko_Frostfall.esp
0C Better Dynamic Snow.esp
0D LIAT - Sounds.esp
0E TradeBarter.esp
0F Aurora - The Doomstone Package.esp
10 Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
11 Dual Sheath Redux.esp
12 Immersive Brigands.esp
13 Immersive Factions.esp
14 Immersive Mercenaries.esp
15 Immersive Patrols.esp
16 Immersive Travelers.esp
17 ktxcompleteskyforge.esp
18 LIAT - NPCs.esp
19 UnlimitedBookshelves.esp
1A Chesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens.esp
1B Footprints.esp
1C WetandCold.esp
1D SkyUI.esp
1E Actualize Apparel.esp
1F Cloaks.esp
20 1nivWICCloaks.esp [Version 2.3]
21 1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp [Version 2.3]
22 DreamBurrowsRegalAssassin.esp
23 GDRangerArmor.esp
24 Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
25 Thor.esp
26 zabswitchhat.esp
27 Lock Overhaul.esp
28 BreezehomeEnchanter.esp
29 Falkreath GraveyardB.esp
2A Falkreath Home.esp
2B LocalizedGuildJobs.esp
2C Run For Your Lives.esp [Version 1.2.4]
2D Sylvanheim.esp
2E Morrowloot.esp
2F AchieveThat.esp
30 BetterQuestObjectives.esp
31 Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
32 Hoodless Archmage Robes.esp
33 Increased Bounty & Guild Rewards.esp
34 TheChoiceIsYours.esp
35 BetterQuestObjectives-TheChoiceIsYoursPatch.esp
36 Thieves Guild Requirements.esp
37 Unlimited Charge for Daedric Artifacts.esp
38 Chesko_Step418.esp
39 Populated Cities 2.esp
3A Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
3B transmute tweak make all silver first.esp
3C Enchanting Freedom.esp
3D DeadlyCombat.esp
3E Dodge Mod.esp
3F XFLDialogue.esp
40 XFLPlugins.esp
41 BetterQuestObjectives-XFLPatch.esp
42 Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp [Version 2.3.6b]
43 BetterQuestObjectives-AlternateStartPatch.esp
44 rcrnShaders.esp
45 RCRNvolumetric.esp
46 WATER.esp
47 WATER Plants.esp
48 BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp
49 Unique Region Names.esp [Version 2.1]
4A Bashed Patch, 0.esp
4B Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp
4C comprehensivecraftingspaces.esp
4D BetterQuestObjectives-ThievesGuildRequirementsPatch.esp
4E FloraRespawnFix.esp
4F Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
50 ImmersiveSpells.esp
51 PassiveWeaponEnchantmentRecharging.esp
52 SPERG.esp
53 iNeed.esp

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Gyshall posted:

e2: what about titmods

Oh my god, the first modern game in the series that doesn't have lizard tits and cat dongs as the first and second mods available for the game. GOD DAMMIT, THAT poo poo IS ELDER SCROLLS TRADITION AT THIS POINT!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Agents are GO! posted:

Pretty decent, although I only ever use bound sword.
Bound bow is quite useful, and levels up archery quickly because it has high base damage, but lags behind in the late game because smithing-enhanced weapons get out of control.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Okay, I'm havin a weird issue which I think may well be caused by my Improved ASIS INIs, and in hoping you fine people might be able to help me:

Is there a perk or spell or ability that basically adds an impassible zone to either side of a character?

So far I've found two guards - one outside of the Jarls throne room, one outside of the jail in Riften - who have an impassible wall attached to their sides. It's definitely a flat plane, not a sphere, and it's attached to them because the riften jail guard moseys from one side of the door to the other and the invisible wall shoves me around when he does.

At first I thought it might be a glitched nif from one of the weapon mods I'm using, but I've been using the same ones forever without this issue.
The only thing that's new is my improved ASIS INIs giving perks to guards.

Anyhow, maybe Seorin or LtSmash or Hothtrooper or one of the other modders who reads this thread might have some insight. :)

Edit: My load order.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 20, 2014

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Dwemerverse has a wall spell, though it's not attached to characters. Maybe that's it?

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Paracelsus posted:

Bound bow is quite useful, and levels up archery quickly because it has high base damage, but lags behind in the late game because smithing-enhanced weapons get out of control.

While smithed weapons can get insane, bound stuff can, too. I'm rolling a spellsword with SPERG and the benefits from both One-Handed and Conjuration make bound weapons really viable. I pretty much exclusively use Bound Sword/Dagger in the right hand and whatever other spell in the left and I can smack stuff down pretty handily.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

While smithed weapons can get insane, bound stuff can, too. I'm rolling a spellsword with SPERG and the benefits from both One-Handed and Conjuration make bound weapons really viable. I pretty much exclusively use Bound Sword/Dagger in the right hand and whatever other spell in the left and I can smack stuff down pretty handily.
Once you start stacking fortify smithing enchants and potions after going through a few alchemy/enchanting crafting cycles and use the scroll from the Patron perk that doubles the effectiveness of beneficial potions you can make weapons whose damage is in the thousands even before you start stacking +~120% Archery/One-handed enchants.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Has anyone else been using LOOT instead of BOSS to do their mod organization? I came back to skyrim recently, and after updating all my mods the game still crashed with BOSS's load order, whereas LOOT's is working perfectly now. Apparently it does mod-asset analysis instead of just using a load order so it's way more stable, even if the load order it gave me on the surface made no loving sense. I guess I can't complain if it works though.

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.
Are there any good/well known mod compilations floating around? I've always loved modding Elder Scrolls games but I just don't have the patience anymore to sit down for a couple hours to work out mod conflicts/compatibility problems. I figured the best bet was to try out an established mod pack and make some minor tweaks.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

Thanks for the answer. I think I'll be going with bound sword then, at least before I can find some artifacts. Installed Dual Wield Parrying as well, so I can block with the sword while having a spell in my left hand.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this is a common problem or not, but I've decided to try out some mods and do a fresh playthrough of Skyrim. So far I have everything running pretty stable as far as not crashing. However, I can't seem to get the meters for Frostfall to work. The text messages pop-up ok, but the meters are not there even though I set the options to have them always on. I saw something about iHUD on the Frostfall troubleshooting page, do I need to have that installed to get the meters working? I already have SkyUI on it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

You don't. Something else is hosed.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Are there any mods (or combinations of mods) that are vaguely Monster Hunter-ish/Diablo-ish in tone? By which I mean there's basically one place to serve as a home base/quest hub, and everywhere else is hostile?

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

scamtank posted:

You don't. Something else is hosed.

drat. I was afraid of that. I'll have to try and find a work around for it. Not getting my hopes up though.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
Is there a way to make backpacks invisible in Frostfall?

On some characters I like the look of them but on others I make I don't, but I still want the carry weight bonus. Or maybe just the backpack without the axe and poo poo attached to it?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have Convenient Horse Herding installed and the basic herding gear serves as a backpack. I like the look of it a lot better because it just has a bedroll strapped underneath and not all the junk hanging off the sides (also the bedroll doesn't come off if you aren't actually carrying a tent).

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Alright I'm hoping I can get some troubleshooting help here, I've been going through youtube vids without much success and the whole "mess with poo poo until it works" isn't working either

Alright so I installed SKSE where the Skyrim exe is like it says.
I also have Mod Organizer installed in the Skyrim folder so when I open The Skyrim folder the folder options are:
Data
DirectX
DotNetFX
Shaders
Mod Organizer
Skyrim
VCRedist

I've grabbed some stuff I wanna try off of the nexus via MO

Now I can't tell MO to run SKSE or Skyrim as it tells me that it failed to start Steam and
"Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer"
Its from steam

So I think to myself...alright. I'll just use my shortcut of SKSE which WILL launch Skyrim.
But none of the mods that I've grabbed from the Nexus are loading in. Do I need to run MO than launch SKSE?

Because when I do that and Skyrim is checking the mods it still only shows mods I've had for ages but nothing from MO.

God I don't know if what I am saying is making sense

It LOOKS like, when I actually go under data, that my other mods are setup as .esm or .bsa files/whatever. But the things inside MO are still zipped

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Now I can't tell MO to run SKSE or Skyrim as it tells me that it failed to start Steam and
"Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer"
Its from steam

Sounds like you're being ruined by UAC. Try disabling that poo poo from the control panel.

Also, you must start SKSE through Mod Organizer. The magic of MO means that the mods don't really enter the Data folder until startup. This allows a lot of flexibility with installing and unplugging poo poo, but the mod files really aren't there for the game until MO wizards them in the right place,

scamtank fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 21, 2014

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I've moved forward much more quickly than I anticipated on getting my follower compilation ready - the drop hooks for most of the added NPCs are now ready. Now I just need to figure out a way to get hostile NPCs to surrender and listen to your modest proposal (join me or die), hack together some follower dialogue for Hadvar, and add the drunken ramblings of Degaine as suggested by Agents are Go! As well as process any last good suggestions.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Heavy Lobster posted:

[Achieve That woes]

So, looking into this, apparently it's a problem with Deadly Combat. Speaking of that, though, I don't see DC listed in the OP anymore - was it revealed to be one of the many mods that breaks games over time, or is it pretty innocuous? It's a lot more transparent about just being small tweaks, which is refreshing considering Duel's history.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I've moved forward much more quickly than I anticipated on getting my follower compilation ready - the drop hooks for most of the added NPCs are now ready. Now I just need to figure out a way to get hostile NPCs to surrender and listen to your modest proposal (join me or die), hack together some follower dialogue for Hadvar, and add the drunken ramblings of Degaine as suggested by Agents are Go! As well as process any last good suggestions.

One last suggestion for Degaine: use the Whiterun beggars "But drat if I ain't almost sober." Line as Degaines "stand up after bleedout" line. (Cut off the "but.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

I just realised Nirya, one of the random students that hang around Winterhold doing nothing at all, could fit as a follower.

• Locked thread