Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

New Leaf posted:

Isn't this 'Kill La Kill'?

Whoops, yeah the character is Nonon, she's from Kill la Kill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

a kitten posted:

Whoops, yeah the character is Nonon, she's from Kill la Kill

Yeah I didn't remember her name haha, that makes sense though.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

New Leaf posted:

Isn't this 'Kill La Kill'?

Yes, specifically Nonon Jakuzure in her first goku uniform.

e:fb

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

a kitten posted:

Random assortment of stuff from Sakuracon (not my photos)

I don't think Kaneda had Akira's name written on his collar, but whatever.

Yeah, the actual jacket says "Good for Health, Bad for Education" on it with letters encircling the pill. I'd kill for one of those jackets but goddamn are they expensive.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Cartoons!

Dads 'n' kids!

Elaborate armor!

No armor!

Lovecraftian horror!

All these things and more I've shamelessly lifted from io9's day 1 and day 2 Wondercon cosplay roundups.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Erebus posted:

Lovecraftian horror!

MOTHER OF CHRIST.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Erebus posted:

Lovecraftian horror!

Haha, I posted that on facebook and my mom got pissed off at me for scaring her.

Also, for what it's worth, I met Yaya Han last year and she was ridiculously nice. She asked if she could take a photo with me in my costume before I had a chance to ask her, which really made my day. She seemed really happy to talk to even the most awkward of nerds and was really complimentary of my armor. I'm a fan. v :) v

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I follow Yaya Han on twitter, and she seems really nice. She gives a lot of advice to younger and inexperienced cosplayers, and has a lot to say about things like body image and the like. She actually wrote a piece awhile back on modifying character designs for costumes if you're not comfortable wearing the original costume. From what I've heard about Heroes of Cosplay, I wouldn't trust them.

Ed: Here's the piece, on her Ayane cosplay:

quote:

As you can see, I made the costume more modest than the design, omitting the cut out in the front of the bodice, and adding a sheer layer in the skirt. I think it still reflects the character and represents the detailed game design. Don't ever be afraid to modify a costume if you don't feel comfortable wearing it. We cosplay for many reasons, the main one being love for a character. Replicating costumes 100% of only one facade of cosplay, it often is more challenging, fun and creative to translate a design from a rendered source to a working fitted garment, and it's perfectly ok to take artistic license. I see a lot of cosplays being more sexualized than their designs, and I think it's totally cool to modesty-fy a costume as well.

Lance Streetman has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Apr 20, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even with the show's editing she didn't come across as elitist or anything. She just took it all super seriously, which makes sense since for her it's actually her job.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
That Powdered Toast Man made my goddamn day.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Wasn't there something about the editing, like they really tried to make her look like she was in a fued with someone else, but they're actually really good friends?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Grem posted:

Wasn't there something about the editing, like they really tried to make her look like she was in a fued with someone else, but they're actually really good friends?

This is basically every reality tv show ever made, so yes

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

All horned up now thanks

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Erebus posted:

Dads 'n' kids!

I thought Sandman was holding his left leg up when I first saw this picture.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Awesome Con in DC was this past weekend and had a pretty good showing. A garrison of the 501st was there so quite a few Stormtroopers. Of course there were a zillion Doctors because Billie Piper was there.

Sister of Battle/Inquisitor (wasn't 100% sure due to the Rosette she had)

The best Booker/Elizabeth I saw

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Erebus posted:

Elaborate armor!

I'm a sucker for elaborate armor with detailing like this so I'm really jealous of these.

EDIT: Actually now that I look at it, is the first one a Norn armor set from Guild Wars 2?

RedneckwithGuns has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Apr 21, 2014

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I'm a sucker for elaborate armor with detailing like this so I'm really jealous of these.

EDIT: Actually now that I look at it, is the first one a Norn armor set from Guild Wars 2?

Sure looks like it! Link to the GW2 Wiki page

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

RedneckwithGuns posted:

It is Norn armor.

She is known as/goes by Kamui and she makes really awesome armor. She posts constantly on her facebook page, if you're interested.

Dead Jedi
Oct 25, 2010

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

I... this is amazing.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

No menhir, I'm very disappointed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MooCowlian posted:

No menhir, I'm very disappointed.

Maybe he threw it at a Terumae Romae cosplayer?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

fralbjabar posted:

Here's a new trend, there were at least a dozen different groups going around doing video interviews with cosplayers. I've seen video interviews before, but it's always been one or two fairly professional looking crews who set up in a corner somewhere and interview the really really good cosplayers. This year at PAX though there was a goddamn plague of amateurs like mr. alienware shirt here and his out of shot accomplice wandering around and conducting video interviews wherever the hell they felt like it.

Oh hey, a sweet Zelda group says I. I think I'll go over and ask them for a picture. NOPE VIDEO CREW OUT OF NOWHERE.

I'm trying really hard to be reasonable about this, but I'll be damned if it doesn't tick me off something fierce. The recent prevalence of wannabe Youtube celebrities/monetizers means that if an event is big enough, you're bound to see goobers in t-shirts and jorts awkwardly toting consumer-grade video equipment. You're completely correct--even the amateurs should be finding a spot in a corner or a similar out-of-the-way place and setting their equipment up, and then waiting for opportune times to politely ask event-goers if they'd mind being interviewed.

And don't even get me started on "I'm gonna go find the hottest girls to interview so I get the most likes!"

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

A few more Wondercon costumes:

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

I feel I should know what this is from.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Captainsalami posted:

...it's Obelix from Asterix.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Captainsalami posted:

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Axe Cop! :swoon:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

The best part is that he's kind of hidden back there behind Ariel, leering as only Axe Cops will.

Man, really wish I'd made it to the rest of the weekend down there :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That's a pretty great Plastic Man. I was wondering if there were any other PM cosplayers out there who didn't really have the right body shape for it and found this guy:

... but he's also the only PM cosplayer I've ever seen who brought a Woozy Winks with him so he gets mad props for that. (Also the phrase "right body shape" is pretty much meaningless when it comes to Plastic Man. ;) )

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 10:01 on Apr 23, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

And Doctors Five and Six!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

I've heard of cosplaying to your weight, but never cosplaying to your goggle-eyes.

The more I look at him the more I like it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
He must have been roasting in that outfit.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
As an owner of an identical scarf, they actually breathe really well, especially when rolled like that.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's a pretty great Plastic Man. I was wondering if there were any other PM cosplayers out there who didn't really have the right body shape for it and found this guy:

... but he's also the only PM cosplayer I've ever seen who brought a Woozy Winks with him so he gets mad props for that. (Also the phrase "right body shape" is pretty much meaningless when it comes to Plastic Man. ;) )

Which gets me thinking it would be fun to get a tall guy, a short guy, a fat guy and a skinny guy and dress them all in identical Plastic Man costumes.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I met two ladies who did something conceptually similar from a scene in an anime called Perfect blue at Anime Central last year. Their costumes were super well-made and I thought the concept was really clever.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

McPantserton posted:

I met two ladies who did something conceptually similar from a scene in an anime called Perfect blue at Anime Central last year. Their costumes were super well-made and I thought the concept was really clever.

That really is perfect if you know the story of it. Brilliant.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

McPantserton posted:

This is bloody brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

That really is perfect if you know the story of it. Brilliant.

Care to explain? Every fat girl has a skinny girl trapped inside trying to get out?

• Locked thread