Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I hate to be that person but it's Kestrel, not Kestral.

And the good old, classic fire beam remains the single most fun weapon in FTL. It's even better when you mix in hacking to lock off the O2 room while it burns up. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

And the good old, classic fire beam remains the single most fun weapon in FTL. It's even better when you mix in hacking to lock off the O2 room while it burns up. :getin:

Unless you're focusing ion + fire and decide to jump to the abandoned sector for your sector seven jump because, hey, cool music!

RIP Ramayana :(

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008

Pulled it off, no direct damage weapons but still one dead flagship. I had to kill all the crew in the first round so the AI could start repairing the systems so I could reburn them. Went through cycles of everything on fire, no oxygen on ship, systems start repairing, everything on fire.

It took a while, but totally worth it. Fire truly is the best.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Doing my first drone run with Engi A. Any advice? I've never used drones before so not sure what to take.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
Man, the hard flagship is pretty hard when you can't kill the crew / take down that drat missile launcher. I ended up with 1987 scrap, which is about 500-600 more scrap than I typically can find on hard. This is also my new high score of any run ever.

I picked up an explosive replicator in sector 2 so I could just run my crappy leto launcher all the time, and powered up my artillery beam. ended up knee deep in scrap so I maxed out engines and shields, but those missiles are such a pain in the dick. especially since the artillery beam isn't exactly fast at firing.

^^^ You take what you can get. You need to find a defense drone, and then whatever ends up working out well. The ion blast II can keep any shields down as long as it continues to hit, so you need to find more sources of damage, or more ion sources.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Once I've wiped out the flagship's crew, I always make a point of smashing up the shield and cockpit before pulling my boarders out. It makes destroying it with weaponry much, much easier.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I keep rescuing the crystal guy, but never getting a rock homeworld. Why FTL, why?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

SynthOrange posted:

I keep rescuing the crystal guy, but never getting a rock homeworld. Why FTL, why?

Yeah, I played with Rock C today which has a crystal guy and went through 6 red sectors in a row! What did I get? Mantis, Mantis, Mantis, Abandoned, Rebel, Mantis.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Did they remove the breach chance on certain beam weapons in AE? I did a zoltan-A run didn't get a single breach despite using the halberd the entire game. The wiki still says the halberd can cause breaches, maybe I just had incredibly bad rolls? :confused:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, how do you hurt the Flagship.

Hit it with Zoltan A earlier, Halberd Beam/Ion Pulse 2. Didn't even break the shields, and it tore me apart. Just got back with an Engi A, two combat drone 1's, and a defense drone 2. I was able to do some damage to it, but even with me spamming ion/hacks at the missile bay, it tore me apart. Didn't help that I kept getting "Look at this beautiful Zoltan space!" jumps rather then fights/scrap.

And I have to beat that 3 times? How?!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Rookersh posted:

Hit it with Zoltan A earlier, Halberd Beam/Ion Pulse 2. Didn't even break the shields, and it tore me apart. Just got back with an Engi A, two combat drone 1's, and a defense drone 2. I was able to do some damage to it, but even with me spamming ion/hacks at the missile bay, it tore me apart. Didn't help that I kept getting "Look at this beautiful Zoltan space!" jumps rather then fights/scrap.

You need either more ions, or stuff like flak/burst lasers, missiles or bombs or hacking. In Phase 2 it has a defense drone so you have to take that out first to launch missiles/hacking. In Phase 3 it has mind control.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I love hacking so much. Nothing is more frustrating than having the firepower the get through the enemy shields but repeatedly missing because of their high evade.

Hack their engines or piloting, and you remove that aspect of the RNG. And removing RNG in a game that will happily RNG gently caress you is A Good Thing. You're now guaranteed to cause damage to whatever subsystem you feel like shooting. It's especially useful if you have five laser shots against four shields, and need all five to hit.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Rookersh posted:

In order of usefulness, these are things I like to have against the flagship:

1) Cloaking

Dodge the missile salvos, dodge drone surges in phase 2, dodge laser surges in phase 3. Too good to pass up. Important to note, you only need to put one power into it (upgrade it still for a damage buffer, same with all systems really) to get the effect you need.

2) Boarding party, preferably with Zoltan Bypass

Getting a couple Mantis into the Missile room and shutting it down makes phase 1 much easier to deal with, and helps a ton with the other phases.

3)Mind Control/Hacking

Mind Control will let you abduct the ship's crew on phase 1 making for a much easier stage 2 & 3. Hacking is super amazing through the whole game and is still super amazing here.

There's other stuff you can do with powerful weapons, certain bomb types and certain boarding crews, but in general those are the tools I've found most helpful and easiest to come by.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Some times I feel like the quote from Zap Brannigan is most appropriate:

"STOP EXPLODING, YOU COWARDS!"

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Now that I'm winning regularly on hard I find not bothering with more than 1 extra system, if any, is fine.

Sometimes I might pick up hacking or drone control if it works with what I have or if a ship starts with one of the extra systems. But almost all other runs I just upgrade my basic systems and win with that, nothing extra needed. For my play style it seems the most straight forward and successful technique.

The extra systems are great, it's just you have such limited scrap to work with on hard going for another system can easily put you behind the power curve.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
What's the damaged stasis pod for?

I kinda wish the rebel fleet would slow down by about 25-50%, because I feel like I miss out on a bunch of stuff. I know that's where the replay comes in, but it'd be nice if it was an option. I really wanted to figure out the mystery of that stasis pod. Was it some awesome new super weapon? Anti-Gravity Bong? Who knoooooows

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Morphix posted:

What's the damaged stasis pod for?

I kinda wish the rebel fleet would slow down by about 25-50%, because I feel like I miss out on a bunch of stuff. I know that's where the replay comes in, but it'd be nice if it was an option. I really wanted to figure out the mystery of that stasis pod. Was it some awesome new super weapon? Anti-Gravity Bong? Who knoooooows

Crystal ship unlock quest. It's basically the worst in the game.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Crystal ship unlock quest. It's basically the worst in the game.

Worst quest or worst ship?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Worst quest. It relies a lot on luck: you need to get the stasis pod event, salvage the stasis pod, then find the Zoltan study event in either Zoltan or Engi space. Once you do that, you get a quest to go to Rock space. So you need to find the stasis pod, then still have a Zoltan/Engi sector AND a Rock sector ahead of you, the Zoltan/Engi sector needs to have a Zoltan study, and you need to stumble on the Zoltan study before you pass the sector.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Android Blues posted:

Worst quest. It relies a lot on luck: you need to get the stasis pod event, salvage the stasis pod, then find the Zoltan study event in either Zoltan or Engi space. Once you do that, you get a quest to go to Rock space. So you need to find the stasis pod, then still have a Zoltan/Engi sector AND a Rock sector ahead of you, the Zoltan/Engi sector needs to have a Zoltan study, and you need to stumble on the Zoltan study before you pass the sector.

Thank god I used the ship editor unlocker thing, because that sounds like some bullshit.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Ssthalar posted:

Worst quest or worst ship?

Crystal B is OP - I'm pretty sure he meant worst quest

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Strumpie posted:

Now that I'm winning regularly on hard I find not bothering with more than 1 extra system, if any, is fine.

Sometimes I might pick up hacking or drone control if it works with what I have or if a ship starts with one of the extra systems. But almost all other runs I just upgrade my basic systems and win with that, nothing extra needed. For my play style it seems the most straight forward and successful technique.

The extra systems are great, it's just you have such limited scrap to work with on hard going for another system can easily put you behind the power curve.

Teach me how to win with Stealth C.

Also, does this apply to cloak? Because cloak just seems like a life saver in so many situations to me.

edit: I've been using Defense II drones in some runs and failed miserably. My verdict is that they're still really unreliable and not worth the additional energy over Defense I drones unless you for some reason struggle with keeping up your shields. Despite this they do basically make you missile proof in early sectors.

a!n fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 20, 2014

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Generic Octopus posted:

3)Mind Control/Hacking

Mind Control will let you abduct the ship's crew on phase 1 making for a much easier stage 2 & 3. Hacking is super amazing through the whole game and is still super amazing here.

You can also use mind control on your own crew when they get mind controlled by the boss to cancel it out. Can be really helpful if they take control of an important guy at a really bad time.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Captain's mod is okay, interesting stuff but ultimately adds too much stuff to make it work. FTL is pefect in its simplicity.
It does have some good ideas though and I hope some of them make it in the official game in a future patch.

Worth a play or two for sure though.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Had a fairly decent game going until I had to back track like 8 jumps because the very last one didn't connect to the exit.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I hate that. Gotta mouse over the nodes ahead of time, man, plan an exit strategy.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Lanius B is ridiculously fun. Who needs weapons?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
So when I first started playing I kind of undervalued boarding. It seemed really situational - first you need a teleporter room, then mantises or rocks, then a decent medbay because cloning takes away too much skill I want my fighters to have. So I always used to ignore boarding and just go with mind control and hacking.

...Then I got the Mantis B and holy poo poo this thing is great. I haven't won with it yet but damned if it isn't a really fun ship to play. It's risky and it's extremely easy to gently caress up in the first couple sectors, but all you need is one decent weapon and a few more crewmembers and it's so great to wreck ships left and right.

I thought I was a Zoltan guy but gently caress that I want to wreck dudes with fists.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mantis B isn't that risky. Its defenses are good enough that almost no ships can damage you for ages. The only thing that can really endanger you early on is bombs.

the talent deficit posted:

Lanius B is ridiculously fun. Who needs weapons?
note that Lanius B also starts with the best weapon in the game

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Really, the only mod I want is one that adds a toggle in the jump screen to show/hide all connections in the system, so I can plan at a glance instead of having to hover over every star and try to remember. It would take away tedium and not make the game easier.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly I've always felt you got far more out of a cloning bay than a medbay, especially with boarders. Even with the slight skill loss, you'll be doing so much fighting that they'll level up faster than they can lose skill, unless you do something like suicide boarding autodrone ships over and over. Takes away a fair amount of teleportation micromanagement, and if you can pick up Backup DNA Bank it makes it very difficult to permanently lose crew. Too many things can go wrong with teleporting crew back and forth and switching people in and out of the medbay, whereas with a clonebay it comes down to 'your clonebay is broken', and if you can pick up the Backup DNA bank, not even that.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Jumped into a Slug Home Nebula for Sector 4 on Hard - my god, everything has 3 shield pips and fire bombs

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Finally a Stealth C run that seems winnable. Though I admit previous ones were winnable if I hadn't also had to learn the quirks of the new hard flagship.

This time I got a Scrap Recovery Arm and a Hull Repair Drone in Sector 1 for free :v:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

My first run with Mantis B ended pretty early.

Now...what's wrong with this picture? Can you spot the problem?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

second-hand smegma posted:

This is basically the perfect FTL.jpg

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

:lol:

What happened when you destroyed each-other's systems?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
How long did it take for the doors/oxygen to get knocked out? because if you could've suffocated that guy the end-of-combat text would've sent a shuttle to pick up your dudes.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I was having a game breaking run with the Rock A on normal that ended in complete disaster.

The game gave me a pre-Igniter in sector 1. Then it gave me 2 halberd beams, 2 attack drones, a system repair drone, a defense drone MKI, and a defense drone MKII. I was just swimming in scrap killing everything. Then in the 3rd or 4th sector I ran into a rigger that had 3 shields, two attack drones, burst laser mkII and some other multi-shot laser. My missiles missed and it ripped me to shreds before I could jump out.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

You should be allowed to just trade ships and keep on playing

Generic Octopus posted:

How long did it take for the doors/oxygen to get knocked out? because if you could've suffocated that guy the end-of-combat text would've sent a shuttle to pick up your dudes.

And then his mantis boarders would have suffocated while fumbling around trying to fix his O2 room, which would have been hilarious
e: oops, misread, leaving it anyway

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The only reason that's a defeat screen is that his guys have such low health that when they make it back to the ship they'll suffocate.

• Locked thread