Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

Happy Easter everyone! Going to Easter church for the first time in my life today. Well, it is possible I may have gone when I was a kid, but I don't really remember much about it to be honest. :v: Op, feel free to add me to the Lutheran category if you want. I might actually convert to either Orthodoxy or Catholicism in the future, but where I currently live both are rather small churches, the Lutheran church is kind of the "standard" here in Finland.

SirJohanna fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Smoking Crow posted:

Christ is risen.

Indeed he is risen!

Let God arise, let his enemies be scattered.

Христос воскресе!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Христос воскресе!

Ваистину васкрсе!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Indeed he is risen!

Let God arise, let his enemies be scattered.

Христос воскресе!

Воистину воскресе!

Chrystus zmartwychwstał!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Chrystus zmartwychwstał!

Prawdziwie zmartwychwstał!

Tha Criosd air čiridh!

(One of my friends does this in Klingon sometimes, we are all huge nerds)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

Christ is risen.
Indeed he is risen!

Vodka in bottle = dance all night.

Edit:

SirJohanna posted:

Happy Easter everyone! Going to Easter church for the first time in my life today. Well, it is possible I may have gone when I was a kid, but I don't really remember much about it to be honest. :v: Op, feel free to add me to the Lutheran category if you want. I might actually convert to either Orthodoxy or Catholicism in the future, but where I currently live both are rather small churches, the Lutheran church is kind of the "standard" here in Finland.
Hey, it's another Finn. Welcome!

Since we were all one thing for more time than we weren't: Christus resurrexit?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 20, 2014

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Christ is risen.

The Lord is risen indeed! Alleluia!

(that's how the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer phrases it)

Happy Easter! Off to church in a bit. Also, going to celebrate with my first coffee in six weeks. :D

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
From the crypt of the Berliner Dom:

"Er ist nicht hier, er ist auferstanden."

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Smoking Crow posted:

Christ is risen.

Hallelujah, hallelujah. He is indeed risen.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Incarnate Dao posted:

At the Vigil tonight they sang the ancient(?) hymn that marks the beginning of the service (after the procession into the church). There's a line that's always bothered me- "Oh necessary sin of Adam." I'm a firm believer in theosis, that God saves us by bringing us into the Godhead, by making us like God. "Adam" didn't need to sin for God to incarnate God's self and bring us into the Godhead in a way that was more intimate than in "the Garden." But as I was reflecting on it tonight I realized that without "Adam's" sin, there is no need for the Cross, and without the Cross, then the Resurrection is also different. God could have brought us into the Godhead, let us dwell in the Trinity, but without sin, God could not have shown us that God's love for us extends to our sinfulness. God doesn't just want human beings in God's self, God wants sinners in God's self. That's almost scandalous. Now I get it when the CCM singer Matt Maher (I know I know) sang "thank you for sin," I know that God loves me as a sinner, and tonight I remember that even my sin cannot conquer God's love.

tl;dr Happy Easter, everyone. Remember that God really loves you.

Good thoughts. It's thinking along these lines that led me to being a universalist.

The vigil went really well last night. I admit that I always get super nervous right before I sing the exsultet, but a prayer really helps, as does focusing on the words. The priest forgot to have us do the litany of saints before the baptisms started, but it worked out really well since we were able to do that while we waited for the newly baptized to finish changing from their dunk in the tank and come back in for the confirmation ceremony. It ended up being really beautiful.

Happy Easter everyone.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I just woke up after having served the vigil last night. Protip: If you're getting baptized and the church goes heavy on the water, don't wear a ponytail. The water splashes everywhere. Happy Easter everyone!

(Also Hegel I love your redtexts :allears:)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

In a minor Easter miracle, despite getting to church half an hour early instead of half a minute early, and Mass then lasting half an hour longer than usual, my toddler actually stayed in the pew with me (right up until after Communion, anyway, at which point he refused to go back into the pew, but that's usually what happens). Nor did he try to escape while we were walking up for Communion, or fling himself to the floor screaming at any point from arriving to departing.

Happy Easter from a convex polyhedron and an alarmingly-well-behaved toddler! :j:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Happy Easter! Today was the most beautiful liturgy in my grandmother's parish, followed by another mass in my hometown where our new chaplain had hist first big homily all on his own. He was really good! My little sister (2 3/4 years) went there as well, and just did the cutest thing: during the Eucharist, when everybody knelt down for the first time, she looks at my brother... looks at me... looks at her hands, bringing them into a "praying position", so to speak, and kneels down herself. She was so cute, the people in the pews around us were positively beaming all the time (as were we). :3

As an aside, I've been dating a baptised Protestant from Northern Germany for a couple of weeks now who describes herself as a firm non-believer. Every time I tell her about Catholic beliefs, liturgy and tradition, she looks like I was reading an article about some bizarre jungle tribe or something to her :v: Does anybody have any experience in this? She's very interested and supportive, though, so I'm not too worried about that :)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Smoking Crow posted:

On the eve of Pascha, here's the best Easter homily ever:

Oh word son, hallelujah!

Happy 4/20 Easter, thread!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Black Bones posted:

Oh word son, hallelujah!

Burn incense every Mass.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Black Bones posted:

You just gave me a mental image of some joker altar boy sneaking MJ into the censer during a liturgy. That would make for an interesting homily, I'm sure.

Given that I'm in Colorado, this is somewhat possible, actually.

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008
So, here's an interesting story for all of you. A few months back I found out I was never baptised. It turns out I had mixed up some memories of various protestant churches my parents had me attending when I was younger, and was, as an infant, attending a Pentecostal church. Long story short this came to light through various points around February, when I contacted my Rector to discuss the matter with him. He is taking a sabbatical with this Sunday being his last until September, so back in February we discussed various options and settled on an Easter Sunday baptism.

It's been a very interesting Lent, reflecting on the meaning of the sacrament of Baptism and what it represents, and the Baptism itself was wonderful for the entire community. Our parish was absolutely packed this Sunday, and a lot of people really appreciated the opportunity to renew their own Baptismal covenants on Easter Sunday as we reflected on Christ's victory.

The Liturgy itself was interesting as our Rector decided, as he knows me fairly well, to incorporate aspects of the Book of Common Prayer (British and Canadian) into the Book of Alternative Services (Canadian) liturgy in order to expand it a bit and hopefully make it a bit more meaningful (I normally attend our earlier BCP service, but Baptisms are only performed at the later BAS service). I had quite a few people coming up both to congratulate me as well as to say how wonderful and meaningful they found it for themselves to be witnesses to a baptism on Easter Sunday. Perhaps most gratifying was that one parishioner who is relatively new came up and asked if we could go for coffee sometime as he was curious about Baptism, which is awesome.

Overall what an amazing day so far (now family and friends are over for Easter supper).

Alleluia, Christ is risen!

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

HEY GAL posted:

Christus resurrexit

Sicut dixit alleluia.

Haec dies quam fecit Dominus! Exultemus et laetemur in ea!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Worthleast posted:

Sicut dixit alleluia.

Haec dies quam fecit Dominus! Exultemus et laetemur in ea!

Christus resurrexit a mortuis,
Morte mortem calcavit,
Et entibus in sepulchris
Vitam donavit.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Black Bones posted:

Oh word son, hallelujah!

The Liturgical Rastafari Thread

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

IMJack posted:

The Liturgical Rastafari Thread

Liturgical Christianity Thread: Herba Fumum Cotidianum

my latin is terrible

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Blaze it and praise it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
My advisor in college once told me he thought tobacco would be a good runner-up/replacement to bread and wine in use for the Eucharist. He was chair of the English department lol.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Smoking Crow posted:

Liturgical Christianity Thread: Herba Fumum Cotidianum

my latin is terrible

:spergin: Incendimus Herba Cotidie.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

So when my family was at the 10:00 Easter service at our church, there was a family seated in the pew in front of us with a five or four-year-old girl. She had a pen and paper, and had drawn some scribbly people standing around the empty tomb and carefully labeled it 'HAPPY.'

Above it, she drew scribbly frowny-face Jesus being crucified and labeled it 'NOT HAPPY.'

Pretty much the Easter story right there.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

My advisor in college once told me he thought tobacco would be a good runner-up/replacement to bread and wine in use for the Eucharist. He was chair of the English department lol.

And he said unto them, hold my bong while I sink the poo poo out of this putt.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I couldn't go to Easter services because I work overnights and sleep all day. I did get together with some church buddies to watch The Life of Brian. That's kinda the same thing, right? :)

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
So I didn't write about this when it happened, but a few weeks ago I got the opportunity to take part in a weekend Latin workshop with Fr. Reginald Foster, who's something of a legend among Latinists. His successor in the Latin Letters Office, Fr. Daniel Gallagher, was also there, and I got the very rare opportunity to hear the Tridentine Mass delivered by a fluent Latinist, which was really something special. I'll admit, however, that with the number of seminarians who showed up, I was rather distressed at how badly the quality of Latin instruction in the seminaries seems to have slipped, to say nothing of their Greek. It was more than a bit eyebrow-raising to see that many people who seem to be very gung-ho about Latin in the Catholic Church have pretty shoddy Latin skills, and I worry that they may like the idea of the thing more than its reality.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

So, uh, I got called a fake Christian for not believing in literal 6 day creation. This was by a "spiritual but not religious" person. They also told me that the Catholic Church has a literalist view of the Bible without tradition. :ughh:

Has anyone ever called you a fake Christian for not being a fundamentalist stereotype?

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Maybe I isolate myself too much, but I've never really dealt with fundie like that.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Only on the internet. Never in real life. My brother did get called a fake Christian by some guy handing out tracts.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Only by hard-line absolutist everything-or-nothing types. The kind of people who believe the government is threatening religious liberties.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

IMJack posted:

Only by hard-line absolutist everything-or-nothing types.

You rang? :sun:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I got told I wasn't a real Christian because I'd never spoken in tongues once. Some people I know would probably think I was severely misguided or hypocritical for not believing in a literal 6 day creation, even if they probably wouldn't say it to my face.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

So, uh, I got called a fake Christian for not believing in literal 6 day creation. This was by a "spiritual but not religious" person. They also told me that the Catholic Church has a literalist view of the Bible without tradition. :ughh:

Has anyone ever called you a fake Christian for not being a fundamentalist stereotype?

Not me personally, but some people like to call out Christians on not following Jewish Law. As in 'you say you believe in Bible, then why do you eat pork? :smug:'

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Paladinus posted:

Not me personally, but some people like to call out Christians on not following Jewish Law. As in 'you say you believe in Bible, then why do you eat pork? :smug:'

That's really easy because Paul is really vehement about not following Jewish law in his epistles.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smoking Crow posted:

I've been called a fake Christian, but not for those reasons. Although I always tell people I'm barely Catholic so they probably have a point.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

That's really easy because Paul is really vehement about not following Jewish law in his epistles.

I know, right? But then it devolves into a discussion of why anyone should care about Paul who is not even one of Twelve, then a discussion of how much we can trust Gospels, and finally what started as an argument on internal inconsistencies of Christian faith turns into
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDjCqjzbvJY&t=80s

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

All the loving time, welcome to the US.

Not always by fundamentalist Christians though, sometimes by atheists who wanted to debate the fundamentalist stereotypes they had cut their debating teeth on.

Bel_Canto posted:

I'll admit, however, that with the number of seminarians who showed up, I was rather distressed at how badly the quality of Latin instruction in the seminaries seems to have slipped, to say nothing of their Greek. It was more than a bit eyebrow-raising to see that many people who seem to be very gung-ho about Latin in the Catholic Church have pretty shoddy Latin skills, and I worry that they may like the idea of the thing more than its reality.
That's sad. Maybe because they were so young? Back when I was a trad Catholic my priest could sightread, although everything came out in a thick Spanish accent. (It was super pretty.)

On the other hand, that seems to be the way with every shibboleth; the people who are really het up about making others know how into it they are almost always care more about the cultural signifier than the issue as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Smoking Crow posted:

This is my favorite thing about :goonsay: atheists, how they have more opinions about Christianity than anyone else, yet know absolutely nothing about it.

• Locked thread