Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The footnote is just the best.

i LOVE the footnote. it really gets across the idea that the whole spell is an act of pure spite on some wizard's part

one of the things i really appreciate about 4e is that the prismatic beams/spray/orb/wall spells are still insanely brutal, although beams and spray got nerfed in essentials for no reason whatsoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Nihnoz posted:

You can talk about batman vs former bird all you want but both of those examples are completely nonsensical and not in the spirit of the background rules.

While it is true that is not the spirit of those rules and that they even have a blog post on their site where they explain this (though it was written by Wade Rockett), transformed animal is one of the example backgrounds in the book.

For reference, the example backgrounds are: Acrobat, alchemist, animal trainer, architect, aristocratic noble, assassin, Cathedral servitor, chef, conwoman, dinosaur hunter, goblin exterminator, hunted outlaw, knight errant, Legionnaire of the 17th [Legion], magecraft, priest, refugee, scout, shepherd, soldier, spy, temple acolyte, thief, torturer, transformed animal, traveling martial arts pupil, tribal healer, tunnel scout, wandering minstrel, warrior poet (which might be a cheesy maneuver to get two good things in one, and could therefore be interpreted literally, or not, depending on your style), and so on.

To be fair, most of these examples are very down to earth and, arguably, not "good at everything." The batman +5 is like the quantum bears complaint for DW: it came about by people making an exaggerated example of how the rules could be interpreted. Arguably, both examples are clearly not the intent of the rules.

It's an issue that mostly comes from a lack of explanation. For the OUT, they spend multiple pages defining what is a good and bad OUT as well how to deal with OUT that are "deliberately pushing it." If they have given the same guidelines to backgrounds, this line of complaints would have probably not have occurred.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
the possibility of having an overly broad background is barely a fraction of the problem. just compare backgrounds in 13A to aspects in fate or something

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

I think hyperbole like Batman +5 and Quantum Bears have a firm place in Internet discussion, they don't necessarily assume the game itself is being ran or played in bad faith.

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

When you do quality assurance on a video game, you often do things like play the same level over and over again for your entire eight hour shift, or figure out how to speedrun it if you're pro. It doesn't seem particularly unfair to an RPG to run it through test cases like "what happens if a player completely takes a dump on the fluff, but is willing to take the mechanics seriously" and "if I were a munchkin, what kind of character would I make with this system" and "what happens if X law of thermodynamics is played straight alongside Y game mechanic".

None of us would likely be playing RPGs in the first place if we couldn't accept a few system quirks as a necessary evil, or even accept them as part of the game's flavor, and mold the setting to accommodate them.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just remembed Astrology is one of the skills I used when I revamped Knowedlge skills and creature types for my 3.5 setting. I was really pleased with it, but it is a little embarrassing to mention in this thread since I did it all back when I thought 3.5 was really good.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

people writing rpgs like not doing quality assurance or assuming that weird test cases will just be suppressed by table social dynamics and don't need any kind of thought, and the rpgs are always worse for it. you can usually tell when someone designing an rpg has put serious thought into what happens when the rules are strained to the utmost and has either corrected them to prevent that or actually explained directly to the reader what should logically happen and why it's okay

nobilis is an excellent example of this, moran goes to painstaking length to elaborate on the logical results of the miracle resolution rules, what you can and can't do, what happens if someone really overreaches in describing a miracle or their estate, etc

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

i'm pretty certain that i could Herbie my way into using 4e skills well and running skill challenges that were cool, but it would take a lot of work that the books don't really tell you how to do except that there are a few example skill challenges in various published adventures etc that are cool

It's best to never use skill challenges at all. Instead, set out an abstract problem and ask PCs how they are going to solve it together. If they are not loving lumps, they will come up with something cool and more lively than "everyone at the table rolls +skill. Plot advances!"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

a LOT of specific costs, cases, and timings in my mage houserule project are based upon that kind of "well wait, otherwise, wouldn't the optimal play be to always ____" logic. it's true that a lot of players and STs don't think that way at all, and that the safeguards put in place would actually be totally invisible to them, but that's totally fine. the rigor/consistency is its own reward

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's best to never use skill challenges at all. Instead, set out an abstract problem and ask PCs how they are going to solve it together. If they are not loving lumps, they will come up with something cool and more lively than "everyone at the table rolls +skill. Plot advances!"

what i'm talking about is skill challenges that clearly and directly differentiate between skills, such that they mostly aren't interchangeable

i like stuff like "each turn at least one person needs to pass an athletics check or else the boat capsizes, at the same time if someone doesn't pass a nature check to negotiate with the whitewater spirits the athletics check dc will increase by 2, cumulatively. monsters are attacking btw"

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 20, 2014

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Attorney at Funk posted:

prof:astrologer's always stuck in my craw the most because it was a prereq for sublime chord, which was the prc that let you turn your bard into a full wizard

could you conceivably design a low-int retardo bard that happened to get through astrology college?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Gerund posted:

could you conceivably design a low-int retardo bard that happened to get through astrology college?

depends on how low you mean. bards get a really good base rate of skill points/level so you don't need an int mod to hit the skill prereqs. but I don't think you could pull it off with like, int 7

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Gerund posted:

Sure. No real penalty to it, except that they have some moderately strict skill point requirements that will eat all of your skill points if you try to build it with an 8 in int.

Sublime Chord is a so-so class that lets you cast wizard spells with your charisma, that synnergizes oddly with certain other PrCs to do some remarkable bullshit. It's either unimpressive or totally broken, depending on use. DnD all over, really.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Splicer posted:

Phone posting instills significant lag.
This was supposed to be an apology btw.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

LSTB posted:

I think hyperbole like Batman +5 and Quantum Bears have a firm place in Internet discussion, they don't necessarily assume the game itself is being ran or played in bad faith.

Saying something is a hyperbole (an exaggeration to make a point) is not saying something is being done in bad faith.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I wanna see Jesus statted up in D&D

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

pussy died from a climbing skill challenge, would not play

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gau posted:

Here's a start

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gau posted:

Or you can spend 3 bucks

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Covok posted:

Saying something is a hyperbole (an exaggeration to make a point) is not saying something is being done in bad faith.

Of course they're not the same thing when taken out of context. This is a threaded discussion, however, which means that no post exists in a vacuum.

Dec 26, 2012

Gau posted:

there was a boed prc that basically made you jesus iirc, so that

Covok
May 27, 2013

LSTB posted:

Of course they're not the same thing when taken out of context. This is a threaded discussion, however, which means that no post exists in a vacuum.

Well, regardless, it was not my intent to say it implied bad faith. I'm just calling the examples what they are: exaggerations to make a point.

Gau posted:

There is a supplement for pathfinder made to allow someone to add Jesus in. He's stated up in multiple forms to match different perceptions of him (as a normal man, as a prophet, as a divine figure,etc.) It's way more in-depth than one would expect for a supplement most people would not use (since adding real world religious figures into a trpg can add complications).

If you have the archives upgrade, you can read all about it in the old F&F thread (not the oldest, the second oldest).

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

A lot of Abrahamic religion stuff like Ars Goetica and forgotten versions of the Old Testament actually make for a loving cool fantasy world.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

LSTB posted:

A lot of Abrahamic religion stuff like Ars Goetica and forgotten versions of the Old Testament actually make for a loving cool fantasy world.

the book of enoch would be a fantastic campaign setting, IMO

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

man versus giant, and whoever wins we all lose in the end (because god's an rear end in a top hat)

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

it's called testament: roleplaying in the biblical era, and despite being (quel surprise) a 3.5 splatbook, it owns

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

If no one bought splats for systems they thought were bad, GURPS would have been dead in the 80s.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

The LORD grants the Good, Heaven, Law, Knowledge, Protection, and Strength domains, but you actually worship him so you can enter the Judge prestige class (which looks specifically like a Paladin who can summon free angels at will, I think I remember Joshua doing that), and take the 'Nazirite' feat that grants you wicked bonuses to your ability scores if you don't drink alcohol/cut your hair, and lets you steal the lunch money of Canaanite sacred prostitutes and Babylonian astronomers.

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

I love worshiping YHWH in monolatrist settings.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

LSTB posted:

I love worshiping YHWH in monolatrist settings.

Same, friend.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Knew I had to read the discussion page for this.

quote:

This is totally out of place. 1: there are plenty of evil christ-worshipers. 2:if you really think this should exist, shouldn't the favored weapon be a HAMMER since he was a carpenter? i don't think he likes whips after everything that happened. --Name Violation 00:45, 20 October 2009 (MDT)
Christ drove out the merchants from the Temple with a small whip. He called it a den of theives. Its the only time he used a weapon other than his voice. I thought it was a funny joke to have it as a favored weapon.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Our Lord and Savior Christ is into some kinky poo poo.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

That's how you should use skill challenges. You set out the problem, ask the PCs what they are going to do about it, then pick a level and complexity for their plan. For a new DM it deals with the problem of how far to zoom in and what sort of DC you should use for finding a cart to disguise as a plague cart to pack your dragon wyrmling on. The skill challenge comes in after you've got the insane PC plan rather than telling the PCs what they should do.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

SunAndSpring posted:

Our Lord and Savior Christ is into some kinky poo poo.

Only weapon he ever uses, and even though he's a carpenter (supposedly) it's the only thing he ever made. Jesus hated him some salesmen in the churches.

Meanwhile, we've got megachurches fulla starbucks praisin' Jesus as hard as they can.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mystic Mongol posted:

Only weapon he ever uses, and even though he's a carpenter (supposedly) it's the only thing he ever made. Jesus hated him some salesmen in the churches.

Meanwhile, we've got megachurches fulla starbucks praisin' Jesus as hard as they can.

son of god? more like father of irony.

L M A O

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Matthew 10:34: "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Judges 3:21-22 "[21] Ehud reached with his left hand, pulled out the dagger strapped to his right thigh, and plunged it into the king’s belly. [22] The dagger went so deep that the handle disappeared beneath the king’s fat. So Ehud did not pull out the dagger, and the king’s bowels emptied."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20: There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

also can rpgs be sold on islamic countries as long as they don't depict people?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCnLzl2C8zM

• Locked thread