Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
I was sad they had to undo the changes Colossus underwent, and that they took out Archangelocalypse. I thought it would have been an interesting change to have heroes becoming new long term villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I really liked Gillen's UXM run.

- The concept of the Extinction Team was great
- the opening arc with Sinister was the freshest he's been in years and I look forward to his reappearance
- the Fear Itself tie in was arguably the best part of that whole event
- the AvX tie-in was a great use of the Phoenix Five before the end of the event inevitably un-Phoenixed them
- the ongoing plot with Unit was interesting and I wish that could have continued
- the moral decay of Magik, and her corruption of Colossus was dark as hell but also clever and fresh, and far superior to Bendis's take on Magik where she simply acts like a goth teenager
- and Cyclops' rationalization of the events of AvX and his stance on the future and the possibility of redemption, as told in 5 issues of AvX: Consequences, far outshines anything Bendis has done in 20 issues of UXM and 25 of ANXM. Magneto's role in mentoring Cyclops, and their tense but necessary relationship after AvX was also much better realized.

So yeah, more Gillen please.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
Yeah, I like Gillen's Iron Man well enough but I would kill to have him back on a major X-title right now.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I thought Gillen's X-Men was incredibly bland and I didn't particularly like how he wrote most of the characters.

I only read the 2nd half of it though (Vol. 2).

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Gillen's Uncanny was great and fresh. I still prefer that "shaken up status quo" over the current "shaken up status quo".

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah Gillen did great work with Uncanny but got stuck with Land for a lot if it. Like he single handily tried to save both Fear Itself and AvX with his tie-ins and with maybe the exception of Aaron's last W&tXM no book has managed to come close to dealing with the Schism as well.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Looking back on it I don't feel it was the strongest run of something ever, and only when I really think about it do I realize how much Land held it back. It felt too stoic and posed. It felt like it was trying to be cinematic in a shallow way. I loved the ideas, the cast, and a lot of the dialogue. But funny fun stuff like Namor getting nasty with a fish queen was just... ruined by the "seriousness" of the art.

Talking poo poo about Land isn't new, but I do feel like his style straight up ruined the atmosphere of the book.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Frankly, I just want to read 'The Ongoing Adventures of Unit'.

Or just more X-Titles drawn by Clayton Crain or Mike Choi. I'm a sucker for both of their art.

Unf.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 19, 2014

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I hated the AvX tie-ins but I hated everything about that event. Overall though I thought his run was pretty good, I really wanted to see where the Unit stuff went.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I enjoyed his reveal of what he actually planed and the half-hearted company line read when everyone called him out on it.

:geno:"No AvX was always the planed culmination of the Hope storyline"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shockeh posted:

Frankly, I just want to read 'The Ongoing Adventures of Unit'.

Or just more X-Titles drawn by Clayton Crain or Mike Choi. I'm a sucker for both of their art.

Unf.

Allegedly Crain used an underage model at one point so he's been blacklisted from Marvel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Allegedly Crain used an underage model at one point so he's been blacklisted from Marvel.

For something erotic, or just in general, because if it's the first, good, but the second seems a little harsh.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rhyno posted:

Kind of ironic, considering there's a legitimate problem about mainstream comics having teenage girls drawn like stacked supermodels.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

I enjoyed his reveal of what he actually planed and the half-hearted company line read when everyone called him out on it.

:geno:"No AvX was always the planed culmination of the Hope storyline"

They totally meant Hope to become Ignored Teenage X Character 54 rather than something significant?

Rereading Messiah Complex, it really reads like she is supposed to be Jean.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

notthegoatseguy posted:

They totally meant Hope to become Ignored Teenage X Character 54 rather than something significant?

Yeah, she was definitely changed at some point. The 5 lights have been completely forgotten now too and will almost definitely be killed off next time they need to show a villain as a threat. X-teens get completely ignored for a new group of characters the second the book they were introduced in ends.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That's too bad, Hope is an interesting character. A messiah that nobody likes all that much.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Didn't they change it because they didn't want 30 something Scott to be lusting after a kid?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

So instead they bring back teenage Jean so EVERYONE can kinda lust after a teenager.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chinaman7000 posted:

So instead they bring back teenage Jean so EVERYONE can kinda lust after a teenager.

In Bendis' defense, it's only been other teenagers lusting after teen age Jean Grey.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Skwirl posted:

In Bendis' defense, it's only been other teenagers lusting after teen age Jean Grey.

and teenagers lusting after adult Cyclops.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Genetic Toaster posted:

and teenagers lusting after adult Cyclops.

Well, yeah, he's ripped as hell and has that bad boy thing going on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I'm reading the early 2000s xmen run after Morrisons, and its pretty cool; Omega Sentinel, Mystique and Mastermind and Sabertooth kinda coming over to the other side. Crazy future people and all, its a good straight storyline then BAM suddenly everyone's all over the place and Cables running around with a baby and Bishop wants to shoot it. There seemed to be no easing into the Messiah Complex stuff. Its just there.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

twistedmentat posted:

So I'm reading the early 2000s xmen run after Morrisons, and its pretty cool; Omega Sentinel, Mystique and Mastermind and Sabertooth kinda coming over to the other side. Crazy future people and all, its a good straight storyline then BAM suddenly everyone's all over the place and Cables running around with a baby and Bishop wants to shoot it. There seemed to be no easing into the Messiah Complex stuff. Its just there.

Some of that Messiah Complex stuff had pretext (specifically in the freelancing Cable department) in Cable and Deadpool. But yeah, that's one of my favorite X-Men rosters. Wish more lineups were just a mix of weird instead of "Wolverine/Cylcops + Some Claremeont faves + expendable X-kids who will be dead in 5 years."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

This is correct. I forget who said it (I thought it was Gillen but others disagree) but she was absolutely going to be Jean reincarnated. AvX hosed up a lot of plans though.

Dacap posted:

Yeah, she was definitely changed at some point. The 5 lights have been completely forgotten now too and will almost definitely be killed off next time they need to show a villain as a threat. X-teens get completely ignored for a new group of characters the second the book they were introduced in ends.

Teon just got shot in the newest issue of X-Men.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

Some of that Messiah Complex stuff had pretext (specifically in the freelancing Cable department) in Cable and Deadpool. But yeah, that's one of my favorite X-Men rosters. Wish more lineups were just a mix of weird instead of "Wolverine/Cylcops + Some Claremeont faves + expendable X-kids who will be dead in 5 years."

Yeah, I really liked that lineup and I thought it had a lot of potential. It reminded me of the pre-adjective-less team, which was one of my favorite teams.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Probably Magic posted:

Yea, the lineup of Rogue, Cable and that crew was great. Funny that Masterminds top is exactly the same as the current one worn by Emma.

I'll have to track down ether some Messiah Complex trades or something to get the whole story, but I guess I know that the baby is hope, goes off to the future with Cable, comes back, and start starts the whole AvsX thing and she punches Wanda in the face and then joins their powers to vanquish the Pheonix forever. Then she just kinda falls off the map. Marvel did the same thing with Thane. OMG THE MOST IMPORTANT CHARACTER EVER *poof* who? We're busy sticking wolverine into every story.

Speaking of Wanda, its kind of heartbreaking at this time with her hiding out in Transia and people who care for her looking for her and finding her, but she has no idea who these people are and what happened. Obviously just another aspect of her mental illness and refusing to take responsibility for what she did. Still seeing Hank and Clint go and be destroyed upon meeting her. Wasn't Children's Crusade her return to normalcy? Also I heard it was terrible. Fear Itself level terrible.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Children's Crusade was Age of Ultron-level terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

I'd say worse.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, that was the impression I got from the general discussion.

But the major plot points is something about the Wiccan and the other fake Wanda kid going and getting her from Transia and having her restore herself then bring her back and then Scott gets all pissy and says his dumb rear end "this witch will burn!!!".

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

There's nothing there relevant for the X-Men mythos other than Wanda returned to the Avengers and Rictor got his powers back. Wanda kids had a pretty cool mini-series written by Kieron Gillen called Young Avengers (v2?), which you may want to check out if you were a fan of his Kid Loki run.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I thought Children's Crusade started well but maybe it's just love for the characters involved. It lost me pretty quickly, though.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I liked the original Young Avengers series, and I still have a hard time believing they're also responsible for Children's Crusade. It would've been better off if they just didn't even run the series and just printed what few plot points got advanced. "Scott Lang's back, Stature's dead, Rictor has powers, Wanda is back, okay folks, see you in the other books!"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Probably Magic posted:

I liked the original Young Avengers series, and I still have a hard time believing they're also responsible for Children's Crusade. It would've been better off if they just didn't even run the series and just printed what few plot points got advanced. "Scott Lang's back, Stature's dead, Rictor has powers, Wanda is back, okay folks, see you in the other books!"

It's a serious case of being too close to a character, they were blinded by the need to "fix" Wanda to make the story good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There is a point where they will move past schism and m-day and all that fallout and part of that will be a "fix" for Wanda, but its going to be part of a whole. I figured that Uncanny Avengers would deal with a lot of this, and it being a mending of sorts between Wanda and Rogue. But nope!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

I think Children's Crusade is basically the bottom of modern Marvel comics, when you assess it in the context of how long it took to finish shipping nine issues of suck.

There's probably a worse individual comic or worse arc somewhere in the pile, but Children's Crusade is a major event blockbusting nine issue snoregasm of lovely retcons, out of character writing and just dogshit everything.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

twistedmentat posted:

There is a point where they will move past schism and m-day and all that fallout and part of that will be a "fix" for Wanda, but its going to be part of a whole. I figured that Uncanny Avengers would deal with a lot of this, and it being a mending of sorts between Wanda and Rogue. But nope!

You need to wait about a year or so.

Children's Crusade was the beginning with needing to absolve Wanda and bring back Scott Lang, for no reason at all. 12 months time it'll be all forgotten and Wanda and Pietro will be both on the main Avengers team.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You're probably right, but I think it bears repeating CC started (according to wikipedia, I barely remember) in 2010?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Children's Crusade started early to give it time to finish as it had to lead into AvX which was Marvel's plan to capitalize on the Avengers film and merge the X-Men and Avengers books into one rather than keeping things in their own separate lines and not really crossing over.

There were different ideas for it and stuff was put on hold for ages because Marvel gave Heinberg the usual "film/tv writer deal" of not using characters or ideas until the writer "is ready". It's why you had various non important mini's and Bendis trying to do things for years and nothing happening with it.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 21, 2014

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rhyno posted:

This is correct. I forget who said it (I thought it was Gillen but others disagree) but she was absolutely going to be Jean reincarnated. AvX hosed up a lot of plans though.

Teon just got shot in the newest issue of X-Men.

Hope was going to be Jean at one point during the planning of Messiah Complex, but IIRC, that idea had been abandoned well before Second Coming, let alone AvX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Yeah but she and the lights were supposed to begin the slow trickle of new mutants that they had to retcon away so Cyclops could catch a case of plot born idiocy that was "the phoenix will save us despite all repeated evidence to the contrary. I'm a rebel!"

• Locked thread