Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

AzureRequiem posted:

So I decided to go ahead and pick up DW8 alongside XL. Is there anything I should know besides punch mans?

Play the tutorial; it wall save you a lot of confusion. Also, save the Jin and Lu Bu stories for last.

Otherwise, yes, punch mans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Does that imply that DW8XL has all the content of DW8 on the disc? You just need a saved game and all the content unlocks?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

UberJumper posted:

Does that imply that DW8XL has all the content of DW8 on the disc? You just need a saved game and all the content unlocks?

Yes, that's how these expansions generally work.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Elliotw2 posted:

So you could just rent DW8, save the game and buy XL?

*EDIT* I also just finished the Wei Storyline, and is that it for Wei? It just kind of seems to end really abruptly. What happens to Cao Cao, and the rest of his group?

Is this explained in the other campaigns?

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 20, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

UberJumper posted:

So you could just rent DW8, save the game and buy XL?

*EDIT* I also just finished the Wei Storyline, and is that it for Wei? It just kind of seems to end really abruptly. What happens to Cao Cao, and the rest of his group?

Is this explained in the other campaigns?

:ssh: Jin

Also play the other storylines before you do Jin's. I think sequentially it's Shu->Wei->Wu->Jin. They all overlap at parts, but Shu starts you at the yellow turbans, and wei starts you at dong zhou. If you haven't played DW before this would make no god drat sense.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Mortimer posted:

Also play the other storylines before you do Jin's. I think sequentially it's Shu->Wei->Wu->Jin. They all overlap at parts, but Shu starts you at the yellow turbans, and wei starts you at dong zhou. If you haven't played DW before this would make no god drat sense.

Oh i just started with Wei since it was the first one to come up. I will play Shu next.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Or you could do like I do and play them all in a circle, alternating every stage. It gives good variety.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Mortimer posted:

This is part of why 7 had the better story rendition, all three kingdoms start with the Yellow Turbans while Jin starts after the end of Shu's campaign, which ends after Wu's, which ends after Wei's.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I think i am just going to pick up XL, i am having so much fun with DW8 right now.

A quick question how do i get better gear? The highest i have seen so far is 3 circles.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
DW8 question: I've noticed a few weapons have fancy golden stars instead of dots to denote their level, a special red background color in their picture, and level 7-9 abilities. I assume these are rare special weapons of some kind?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sindai posted:

DW8 question: I've noticed a few weapons have fancy golden stars instead of dots to denote their level, a special red background color in their picture, and level 7-9 abilities. I assume these are rare special weapons of some kind?
Yeah, they are unique weapons that have set abilities. It doesn't mean a one star unique weapon is necessarily better than a random one star weapon you could find in the field though.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Elliotw2 posted:

Has this worked for any of them? I know you needed the disc for 7 and I don't remember if you did for 5.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Wrong thread...

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I can't remember if this was stated, but is the PC version of DW8 going to come with the XL content bundled in?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

PureRok posted:

I can't remember if this was stated, but is the PC version of DW8 going to come with the XL content bundled in?

"Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition (PC)"

Looks like it.

Also I decided to grab DW7:E first now to get back into the series and jesus christ, Lu Bu with Red Hare just feels like I'm cheating. I'm on normal and I'm killing some unique lieutenants before I even need to hop off Red Hare at times, not to mention the speed alone being enough to completely blitz invasions and defenses.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 20, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Why does does that Wu guy use a canoe as a weapon :psyduck:.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

UberJumper posted:

Why does does that Wu guy use a canoe as a weapon :psyduck:.

Why wouldn't he?

Slightly more serious answer - Huang Gai was known as a skilled naval commander, and led the legendary fire attack at Chibi. Thus, the game designers chose to represent this by having him murder dudes with a boat.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

He used to have a giant hammer, but his moveset with it was really awful. The canoe is actually an improvement.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

caleramaen posted:

He used to have a giant hammer, but his moveset with it was really awful. The canoe is actually an improvement.

On the other hand, his lvl 4 weapon was a boat anchor, and in DW7 even the worst weapons can wreck anyone's day.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Darth Walrus posted:

Why wouldn't he?

Slightly more serious answer - Huang Gai was known as a skilled naval commander, and led the legendary fire attack at Chibi. Thus, the game designers chose to represent this by having him murder dudes with a boat.

Cool thanks!

So far Wu really hasn't had much luck with their leaders living for very long. Also is it just me or are most of the Wu people always smiling? Han Dang looks so happy.

*EDIT* And another Wu dude down. :smith:

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 21, 2014

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

UberJumper posted:

So far Wu really hasn't had much luck with their leaders living for very long. Also is it just me or are most of the Wu people always smiling? Han Dang looks so happy.

You'd be happy too if your lord was the Tiger of Jiangdong!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
My favorite thing about Sun Jian is that whenever he shows up he is always having a blast. Even after getting shot with arrows and surviving he just goes "Well that's it for me, just gonna go retire and relax now." and then just does whatever strikes his fancy.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Wow Wu really keeps getting the poo poo kicked out of them. Pretty much every battle i have played so far has been them attacking something and the end result is them being forced to retreat.

*EDIT* Ahaha, i just burst out laughing after the CGI video of Wu leader giving the big rousing speech and leading his army again against Wei. Following that the game tells me was apparently defeated again.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 21, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

UberJumper posted:

Wow Wu really keeps getting the poo poo kicked out of them. Pretty much every battle i have played so far has been them attacking something and the end result is them being forced to retreat.

As awesome as Wu characters are they really get the shaft since they're just "the other guys" in the overall conflict between Shu and Wei.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

UberJumper posted:

Previous games didn't like showing defeats so they would have you crush everyone, then afterwards say "Wu was forced to retreat".

B-but I just won? At least 7 and 8 will admit to Wu's downfall.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One good thing about DW Next was even in the campaign mode it goes 'gently caress history' and has whichever faction you're playing win and take over the whole country.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

One good thing about DW Next was even in the campaign mode it goes 'gently caress history' and has whichever faction you're playing win and take over the whole country.
Well, that's how the alternate scenarios are in 8. And they are pretty dumb. Especially Wu's which is like We don't want all of China so we'll each just have a third of it, ok? Ok.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Next doesn't really do much with the story after a while, so it's basically you just taking over every territory followed by a CGI of everyone celebrating. Which is kinda how the older games handled it if I remember correctly.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I didn't play Next, but that sounds more like it was a port of an Empires game.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

TARDISman posted:

As awesome as Wu characters are they really get the shaft since they're just "the other guys" in the overall conflict between Shu and Wei.

Yeah it feels like they are kinda awesome guys, they just cannot catch a break. Like how Guan yu basically refuses to give them the Jing province even though he was supposed to. Then they are just like okay... :smith:.

Honestly it really seems like Cao Cao really had his poo poo together.

*EDIT* Really again? Guan Yu refuses to give up Jing Province? Also who is Zhuge Liang and why are the Wu people worried about him?

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 21, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Elliotw2 posted:

I didn't play Next, but that sounds more like it was a port of an Empires game.

It really is sort of a prototype Empires game. It does a bunch of really weird poo poo that I think would be better served in a real DW game.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Sakurazuka posted:

Next doesn't really do much with the story after a while, so it's basically you just taking over every territory followed by a CGI of everyone celebrating. Which is kinda how the older games handled it if I remember correctly.

Man I miss the hell out of each faction's HOUSE PARTY CGI cutscene at the end of each campaign.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I was expecting Lu Lingqi to be rowdier. Not to say it's a bad personality or anything, it's just one that a half dozen or so characters already fill

UberJumper posted:

*EDIT* Really again? Guan Yu refuses to give up Jing Province? Also who is Zhuge Liang and why are the Wu people worried about him?

Guan Yu is kind of a butthole when it comes to honor. That said, reading between the lines (or maybe not reading at all there's multiple tellings) Liu Bei never intended to return the province to begin with. You'll find out more about Zhuge Liang in Shu's story, just know for now he's a strategic genius with a lot of irons in the fire

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

RentACop posted:

Guan Yu is kind of a butthole when it comes to honor. That said, reading between the lines (or maybe not reading at all there's multiple tellings) Liu Bei never intended to return the province to begin with. You'll find out more about Zhuge Liang in Shu's story, just know for now he's a strategic genius with a lot of irons in the fire

Yeah i kinda figured that out, after defeating Guan Yu (Even though i swear the Wei mission had them defeating Guan Yu :iiam:), and he says "Yeah i gotta do what my brother tells me".

Anyways following that I don't really get the next mission, they defeat the shu leader, and the Wu Leader basically tells him to surrender and Wu and Shu become one faction. Then following this the game turns around and goes back to three factions :psyduck:.

Also i cannot stop giggling at the "battle of shiting".

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

RentACop posted:

I was expecting Lu Lingqi to be rowdier. Not to say it's a bad personality or anything, it's just one that a half dozen or so characters already fill

Yeah I was hoping they'd just make her like her dear old dad or something but I guess that's wishful thinking. The fact that she doesn't appear in the theoretical route is just dumb. That said her weapon class is ridiculously good.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Yeah I was hoping they'd just make her like her dear old dad or something but I guess that's wishful thinking. The fact that she doesn't appear in the theoretical route is just dumb. That said her weapon class is ridiculously good.

I sometimes think they just had a note sitting around that said "Lu Bu's daughter" and instead of interpeting it as "acts like you would think Lu Bu's daughter would" the writers decided that her saying "I am Lu Bu's daughter," all the time was good enough.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

UberJumper posted:

Yeah it feels like they are kinda awesome guys, they just cannot catch a break. Like how Guan yu basically refuses to give them the Jing province even though he was supposed to. Then they are just like okay... :smith:.

Honestly it really seems like Cao Cao really had his poo poo together.

Depending on the depiction Zhuge Liang is somewhere between strategist and the-power-behind-the-Shu-throne, but in this case Zhou Yu also suspected that Zhuge Liang had had his eye on Jing Province since before Chibi, and Wu's only being "just like okay... :smith:" is because of the continued threat of a second northern invasion thanks to Cao Cao's survival, and Wu's less-than-great result(s) against Wei at Hefei, deterring Wu from simply massing their forces against Shu. (Also, there were at least two attempts afterward by Zhou Yu at recovering Jing Province -- both thwarted by Zhuge Liang -- one of which included the arranged marriage of Sun Shangxiang to Liu Bei.)

As for Guan Yu... the novel alludes to Guan Yu letting his power (as de facto warlord of Jing Province, appointed to maintain the Shu holdings when Liu Bei and company marched on Yi Province) get to his head, so it may be questioned just how much he was actually following his brother's wish(es)... though I'd suggest that there was some degree of this even beforehand. Anecdote: When Guan Yu was in Cao Cao's service many years before, he was gifted the very horse that Lu Bu had ridden (once why Guan Yu has it after Lu Bu's downfall), only for Cao Cao to wonder aloud why Guan Yu was so profusely thanking him and kowtowing when he'd refused or only perfunctorily accepted gifts of gold, silk, banquets, titles, handmaidens... so Guan Yu told him to his face "so I can get back to Liu Bei that much faster! :haw:"
:ughh:

UberJumper posted:

Anyways following that I don't really get the next mission, they defeat the shu leader, and the Wu Leader basically tells him to surrender and Wu and Shu become one faction. Then following this the game turns around and goes back to three factions :psyduck:.
No idea what the hell was going on in Wu's version of what happened, but in Shu's version the Shu leader subsequently died of illness, while Zhuge Liang's diplomatic efforts allowed Wu and Shu to make up.

UberJumper posted:

Also i cannot stop giggling at the "battle of shiting".
One of the games renamed it to Youting for exactly this reason.

The GIG posted:

I sometimes think they just had a note sitting around that said "Lu Bu's daughter" and instead of interpeting it as "acts like you would think Lu Bu's daughter would" the writers decided that her saying "I am Lu Bu's daughter," all the time was good enough.
That confirms to me that Chen Mou still wrote the best loving Lu Linqqi version of all time:

"A Lu must always be more direct than others: climb higher by any means necessary." "Everyone in the world wants to climb higher. Cheapen one's loyalty versus committing massacre - isn't the former method kinder? My grandfather is a Lu; not a Ding, nor a Dong. Father said, exchanging millions of lives for a good name is the filthiest method. That is how a Lu is different from the other conquerors. Which conqueror hasn't done all the unthinkable? When power is in hand, hasn't the Liu Emperors been benevolent for centuries?"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Chortles posted:

My grandfather is a Lu; not a Ding, nor a Dong.

Why is this not the thread title. :allears:

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
It would certainly be a fine title.

Question for those who have DW8Vita, does it have the Japanese voices as an option, or is it all English all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Why is this not the thread title. :allears:
I also liked this summation of Lu Bu from a monologue of his during the Xiapi flood attack:

"Ding Yuan, Dong Zhuo. With Heaven's backing, are you laughing too? But your laughter sounds so unpleasant. The one to laugh now, however, should be me! Because I lived longer than you two. I can still do what I want to do. And you two can only live on useless tombstones."