Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Randy Lerner has put out a statement re: selling the club http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3777796,00.html

quote:

"Following the point yesterday at Villa Park, there have been stories about my selling the Club. On a personal level, I had hoped the emphasis would have been on the amazing effort on the part of our manager and our players to regroup throughout a very difficult week. Injuries to Libor and Christian, compounded with the early loss of Jores and the difficult rehab of Charles have no doubt left Paul with far less to work with than is fair. Still, Paul Lambert has done nothing but work within the parameters I've set, put the Club first and continue to trust his players. As regards my personal role at the Club and the steady rumours of a sale, I will address these after the season. Paul Lambert, Paul Faulkner and I speak daily and remain committed to the immediate job of limiting distraction and confusion in order that Villa have the best chance possible of finishing on a strong note."

No denial so I think that pretty much confirms it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

8raz posted:

If true...wow...major respect for Evra.

Not sure I could ever summon the dignity that requires.

well its an award for best player not best (or even sub standard) person so

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Frankston posted:

this either means a boom and bust ahead of us, leaving us in financial tatters in 2017

or we'll compete for that coveted 7th position as man utd try to get back into the top 4, as well as spurs continue their spending spree

either way it should be fun and end in tears

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

I think this season has been so much better than last years and if the ending of the season stays strong it could even be better than 2011-12

Psybro
May 12, 2002
The last 24 hours has merely demonstrated why I would rather ride the Moyes Express all the way to derbies with Chorley FC rather than United spend one minute under the management of José Mourinho, the super genius megamanager who lost to literally Sunderland in 2014 because of a wide-ranging conspiracy of obese officials and Jozy loving Altidore.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Psybro posted:

The last 24 hours has merely demonstrated why I would rather ride the Moyes Express all the way to derbies with Chorley FC rather than United spend one minute under the management of José Mourinho, the super genius megamanager who lost to literally Sunderland in 2014 because of a wide-ranging conspiracy of obese officials.

Source your quotes.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Will Kolo loving Toure be the first player to win the (premier?) league with three clubs?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

euroboy posted:

Will Kolo loving Toure be the first player to win the (premier?) league with three clubs?

Yes.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The amazing Toure brothers, loving and Dogshit

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Then Ashley Cole next year after we sign him in the summer :D

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

chuggo is BACK posted:

Then Ashley Cole next year after we sign him in the summer :D

I mean why would you want him

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Are we talking first player ever even if we include pre-1992?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

euroboy posted:

Nobody won anything before 1992

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

DickEmery posted:

Nobody won anything before 1992

who are Preston anyway

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

euroboy posted:

Apparently first player in the post war era to win the league with three different clubs.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ravel posted:

Apparently first player in the post war era to win the league with three different clubs.

Ah yes, post-Desert Storm.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Shrapnig posted:

Ah yes, post-Desert Storm.

But enough about the City takeover.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I was out buying groceries an hour or two after the game, wearing my LFC polo, when an older gentleman suddenly tapped me on the shoulder and, when I turned around, stuck out his hand for a shake. I looked confused, but as soon as he opened his mouth I heard the unmistakable Scouse. He had a terrible nervous tic and was dressed like he was auditioning for the role of the next Doctor, so, par for the course. Turns out he moved out here (bumfuck east Tennessee of all places) over 20 years ago, and until more recent times had no way of seeing any games outside of visits back home a couple times a year. He got quite emotional talking about the game, last week's game, Stevie G, 24 years, and so on and so forth.

What I'm saying is, if I had any remaining doubt about myself being plastic, it's gone now.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

I was out buying groceries an hour or two after the game, wearing my LFC polo, when an older gentleman suddenly tapped me on the shoulder and, when I turned around, stuck out his hand for a shake. I looked confused, but as soon as he opened his mouth I heard the unmistakable Scouse. He had a terrible nervous tic and was dressed like he was auditioning for the role of the next Doctor, so, par for the course. Turns out he moved out here (bumfuck east Tennessee of all places) over 20 years ago, and until more recent times had no way of seeing any games outside of visits back home a couple times a year. He got quite emotional talking about the game, last week's game, Stevie G, 24 years, and so on and so forth.

What I'm saying is, if I had any remaining doubt about myself being plastic, it's gone now.

did he ask you where in Liverpool you were from

also you have a LFC Polo lol

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fryhtaning posted:

Turns out he moved out here (bumfuck east Tennessee of all places) over 20 years ago, and until more recent times had no way of seeing any games outside of visits back home a couple times a year.

Did you give him some good streaming sites?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Fryhtaning posted:

Wrong thread

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

But enough about the City takeover.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Frankston posted:

Randy Lerner has put out a statement re: selling the club http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3777796,00.html

that's a fantastic statement as it encapsulates exactly how I feel about Lambert's job. What the gently caress is he supposed to do with Grant Holt and Callum Robinson as his best actual strikers, a midfield comprised of the good Fabian Delph, the mediocre El Ahmadi, and a bunch of terrible dross, and a defense that's been forced into featuring Nathan Baker?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Psybro posted:

The last 24 hours has merely demonstrated why I would rather ride the Moyes Express all the way to derbies with Chorley FC rather than United spend one minute under the management of José Mourinho, the super genius megamanager who lost to literally Sunderland in 2014 because of a wide-ranging conspiracy of obese officials and Jozy loving Altidore.

Typical Portugueses

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Portugeese?

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

so is moyes going to get sacked right after the last game of the season?

i imagine united want as much time as possible to attract potential players, even if there is a world cup on

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Portugays

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Hardflip posted:

so is moyes going to get sacked right after the last game of the season?

i imagine united want as much time as possible to attract potential players, even if there is a world cup on

They're going to spunk 20 mil on some mediocre player who does well at the WC.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I hope Moyes can get to 55 unique lineups in 55 games. That takes a level of skill that few managers possess imo. It would be quite an accomplishment and would go well with the numerous other records broken by the man.

I also hope that West Brom take all 3 points off City tomorrow, but that's probably asking for too much.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

chaoslord posted:

I hope Moyes can get to 55 unique lineups in 55 games. That takes a level of skill that few managers possess imo. It would be quite an accomplishment and would go well with the numerous other records broken by the man.
When Mark Chapman talked about that on MOTD2, I think he clarified that the stat was that Moyes had changed his team every game for 51 games, i.e he never kept the same 11 for two games in a row, not that there were 51 unique teams. Can't say for certain though. If Moyes really has had unique teams every game that would be amazing, it would have to be deliberate after a while.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 21, 2014

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Shrapnig posted:

Really?

You're filling out a loving form.
I think it's pretty obvious the point I was making here. If you somehow didn't grasp it. wow.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

mynameisjohn posted:

that's a fantastic statement as it encapsulates exactly how I feel about Lambert's job. What the gently caress is he supposed to do with Grant Holt and Callum Robinson as his best actual strikers, a midfield comprised of the good Fabian Delph, the mediocre El Ahmadi, and a bunch of terrible dross, and a defense that's been forced into featuring Nathan Baker?

Lambert signed most of those players

Ash.W
Aug 2, 2004

bonk bonk

Hoops posted:

When Mark Chapman talked about that on MOTD2, I think he clarified that the stat was that Moyes had changed his team every game for 51 games, i.e he never kept the same 11 for two games in a row, not that there were 51 unique teams. Can't say for certain though. If Moyes really has had unique teams every game that would be amazing, it would have to be deliberate after a while.

Didn't Ferguson have a similar record to that? I'm sure I remember hearing it took 30~ games in one of the last seasons for him to keep the same 11.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
While Moyes is changing his team a lot, the obsession with the 'best 11' is a bit weird. You pick the best 11 players you have for that opposition. You wouldn't pick the same team you used against West Ham that has 5 attacking players to start against City/Chelsea, but not doing that is bad? I dont get it.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
Lol at Sunderland being the team to ruin Mourinho's record and lol at them also costing Chelsea the league.

Also lol at his absolute crybaby meltdown.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

serious gaylord posted:

While Moyes is changing his team a lot, the obsession with the 'best 11' is a bit weird. You pick the best 11 players you have for that opposition. You wouldn't pick the same team you used against West Ham that has 5 attacking players to start against City/Chelsea, but not doing that is bad? I dont get it.

I thought it was actually that many different lineups, which would be utterly insane. Rotating this many matches is totally normal yeah, all the top clubs do it because of the reasons you mentioned + actually having squad depth.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
A lot of it has also been 'This team but with x player instead because y player is injured' too.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

not not luvd posted:

Lol at Sunderland being the team to ruin Mourinho's record and lol at them also costing Chelsea the league.

Also lol at his absolute crybaby meltdown.

He's an emotional man

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Who was that pygmy who couldn't contain himself when Jozy correctly was awarded that penalty?

Xabi fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Xabi posted:

Why was that pygmy who couldn't contain himself when Jozy correctly was awarded that penalty?

Idk, why was he?

• Locked thread