Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Jon Joe posted:

Yeah, I'd say it's lateral, though more attacks per square is typically the more useful buff. I was thinking of copying the spells to re-add the original versions.

That would be the best idea, I think. There are times where being larger would definitely come in handy (like when your size 3 thug goes up against a pack of air elementals).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Chocolate Thrones is done
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdle1yyof5nccsy/ChocolateThrones%201.0.rar
Throne of War
3 Attack
3 Morale
1 Turmoil
Enter to combat train

Throne of Night
1 Death Gem
Summon 2 Shades
100% Dark Vision

Throne of Beasts
Animal Awe 3
5 HP
2 Nature Gems
1 Turmoil
Summon 3 Dire Wolves

Throne of Thorns
3 Nature Gems
Poison Res 10
Growth 1
Nature Range 2

Throne of Flames
3 Fire Gems
Fire Res 10
Heat 1
Fire Range 1

Throne of Ice
3 Water gems
Cold Res 10
Cold 1
Water Range 1

Throne of Storms
3 Air Gems
Shock Res 10
Turmoil 1
Air Range 1

Throne of Might
5 Strength
2 Attack

Throne of Stability
3 MR
Drain 1

Throne of the Deeps
2 Water Gems
Summon Monster Fish
50% Dark Vision

Throne of Bones
3 Death Gems
Undying 5
Summon Longdead Archer, 2 Longdead (Sword&Shield)

Throne of Law
Order 1
Production 1

Throne of Zeal
Morale 4

Brass Throne
Gold 150
Res 250
2 Earth Gems
1 Air Gems
Production 1

Throne of Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter

Only change is ability to summon 1 Seasonal Animal

Throne of Gaia
6 Nature Gems
3 Growth
1 Sloth

Throne of Bureacracy
2 Order
-150 Gold

Throne of Life
5 Nature Gems
2 Growth
Summon 2 Vine Ogres

Throne of Death
10 Death Gems
1 Death
Summon 2 Wights

Throne of Fortune
3 Astral Pearls
2 Luck

Throne of Misfortune
7 Astral Pearls
2 Misfortune

Inner Throne
3 Blood Slaves
2 Earth Gems
Enter to summon Illearth

Outer Throne
4 Astral Pearls
2 Magic

Throne of Fire
3 Fire Gems
Fire Range 2
5 Attack
Summon 2 Fire Elementals
Recruit Adept of Pyrophlagion

Throne of Earth
3 Earth Gems
Earth Range 2
3 Reinvig
Summon 2 Earth Elementals
Recruit Gnome

Throne of Water
3 Water Gems
Water Range 2
5 Defence
Summon 2 Water Elementals
Recruit Hydromancer

Throne of Air
3 Air Gems
Air Range 2
40 Air Shield
Summon 2 Air Elementals
Recruit Wind Master

Throne of Splendour
Awe 2
Misfortune 1
Drain 1
Horrormark 20

Throne of Abundance
1 Fire Gem
1 Air Gem
1 Water Gem
1 Earth Gem
3 Astral Pearls
1 Death Gem
2 Nature Gems
200 Gold
3 Sloth
1 Growth

Throne of Eternal Suffering
2 Order
2 Production
2 Misfortune
1 Death
Curse 20

Throne of the Moon
Growth 1
Magic 1
2 Water Gems
1 Astral Pearl
Summon Ether Warrior

Throne of the Sun
Order 1
Growth 1
Heat 1
3 Fire Gems
3 Astral Pearls
Fire Range 1

Throne of Sorcery
1 Nature Gem
1 Death Gem
2 Astral Pearls
Sorceryrange 2
Thaumaturgy 30

Throne of Elements
2 Fire Gems
1 Air Gem
2 Water Gems
2 Earth Gems
Elementrange 2
Evocation 30

Shattered Throne
5 Blood Slaves
3 Astral Pearls
Bloodrange 1
Horrormark 20
Curse 30
Magic 1
Misfortune 1

Throne of the First Age
1 Astral Pearl
1 Death Gem
Magic 1
Summon Unfrozen Warrior

Throne of the Second Age
1 Earth Gem
1 Nature Gem
Production 1
Summon Dust Walker

Throne of the Stars
3 Astral Pearls
Astral Range 2
Horrormark 10

amuayse fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 20, 2014

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Hi I guess I'll post this mod here since I'd like some testing and feedback and stuff beyond the 4 games that are already using it right now. It's a port of NinjaDebugger's dominions 3 mod AwesomeGods, and yeah

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21409916/awesomeishgods0_25.rar

Lots of things are still really boring/bad, particularly/probably disciples choices, but I haven't really found the time to work on it a whole ton.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
I'm fooling around with LA Rlyeh in single player, and one of my insane commanders decided to become my prophet, even though I already had one. Nothing happened to the old prophet so now I've got two of them! Was this always a thing?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Mecharasputin posted:

I'm fooling around with LA Rlyeh in single player, and one of my insane commanders decided to become my prophet, even though I already had one. Nothing happened to the old prophet so now I've got two of them! Was this always a thing?
Yep!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
LA R'lyeh typically builds up quite a large host of prophets as a result of insanity.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Reposting from the other thread, but new players: watch your candles. Even if it's prior to turn 10.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 20, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I Love You! posted:

Reposting from the other thread, but new players: watch your candles. Even if it's prior to turn 10.

People tanking their Dominion for ther a super tri-Bless?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If you're going to imprison your God for massive scales and/or magic, take Dominion, folks.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

He didn't give the full story! I Love You! is playing EA Arco and took an awake Titan of the Underworld (stealth 100 assassin) with dom10. Basically just had to march over with him and some skeptics and that's all it took. Abysia had an asleep or imprisoned god with dom7. Being Abysia there was no way he could patrol out the dom10 assassin god without a super lucky exploding dice roll.

Were it me I would have tried anyways and bid up all the mercs I could to add to the patrol weight, though even that may be for naught if assassin god targets the merc commander.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
ILY that is just super mean man :colbert:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
^^^ yes

To be fair, taking an asleep or imprisoned god with dom of 7 or less is a pretty bad idea. But there are a number of things he could have potentially done, including getting his prophet preaching instead of having it in my backfield.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 20, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

He didn't give the full story! I Love You! is playing EA Arco and took an awake Titan of the Underworld (stealth 100 assassin) with dom10. Basically just had to march over with him and some skeptics and that's all it took. Abysia had an asleep or imprisoned god with dom7. Being Abysia there was no way he could patrol out the dom10 assassin god without a super lucky exploding dice roll.
Yeah you can kinda tell what's going on there from The Friendzone assassinating a Warlock.

That assassin God is super bullshit with his Stealth (100) and Patience (3), to be honest.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jBrereton posted:

Yeah you can kinda tell what's going on there from The Friendzone assassinating a Warlock.

That assassin God is super bullshit with his Stealth (100) and Patience (3), to be honest.

He IS super bullshit! Especially since he basically requires no paths to murder almost anything short of a PG early game. Though only against certain nations. Basically as long as he cant stab it to death while naked, he's set.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Teotl of Batmans is much more bullshit. He is flying, summons demons with 2 attacks who are also flying, has stealth 50 and fear 11 and two attacks and also blood magic instead of earth.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
So, what are the things you, yes you, the reader, would nerf/buff if you wanted a balance patch?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
^^ Make air and fire somewhat more reasonable to break into. Maybe buff some mid-level summons. Dragons unplayable as disciples. Slight Mictlan nerf across the board. Make ponys worse. Slight Fomoria nerf in some manner. That's about it.

jsoh posted:

Teotl of Batmans is much more bullshit. He is flying, summons demons with 2 attacks who are also flying, has stealth 50 and fear 11 and two attacks and also blood magic instead of earth.

100 stealth is no joke dude, it's nearly impossible to cost-effectively do anything about the Titan.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 20, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

jBrereton posted:

So, what are the things you, yes you, the reader, would nerf/buff if you wanted a balance patch?

vine shield has charges or has a roll to resist it or something because it's lame and my pd should be good forever because i said so :cry:

also lol stealth 100

100pd only gives you like 84 patrol that's insane poo poo

edit: well yeah i know that

it's just annoying watching someone truck in a dude and suddenly any level of PD is useless barring a super lucky hit. it's my pet peeve wit the game

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 21, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

vine shield has charges or has a roll to resist it or something because it's lame and my pd should be good forever because i said so :cry:
It... does have a roll to resist. It's MR. And break out. That's based on strength. Just your PD won't make those rolls terribly often.

ILY - is your problem with the Fomorians themselves or the Fir Bolg?

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 21, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jBrereton posted:

It... does have a roll to resist. It's MR. And break out. That's based on strength. Just your PD won't make those rolls terribly often.

ILY - is your problem with the Fomorians themselves or the Fir Bolg?

The whole nation being strong in almost every stage of the game and having about 50 ways to pound you into the ground. And then getting sailing and stealth on top of that.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
You can't fool me ILY, I know your titan is coming for me next. So how do I effectively defend against you?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Give every single commander you own a bow of Botulf and hope.

edit - Oh, no he's Arco and can heal from that.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Lower weapon damage and/or increase protection across the board, or do something else to make protection actually matter. As it is, the highest prot you're likely to see is 21-23 or so, and it's trivially easy for any human with a spear to punch right through it. That's not even touching on the multitude of spells and weapons that bypass it completely).

Make spells like Mental Duel and Curse resistible or at least require greater skill to use. A spell with perfect accuracy and infinite range that can never be resisted or countered no matter how powerful the target is not something that just any bumfuck shaman should be able to cast.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
^^ Both of these are safeguard spells, however. And curse is hardly overpowered - it's there to deal with things that might not otherwise have a feasible counter and it doesn't, on its own, even do anything.

Magic duel is a little wonky since it make a lot of pretender chassis really awful. It's there to add another layer of protection against astral which is quite frankly a good thing, but the way it limits options is pretty dumb. I'm not sure how I'd like to see it changed if at all, but it sure does suck when a cool PG is actually just a liability. I'm not sure how to fix this one.

The Gentleman posted:

You can't fool me ILY, I know your titan is coming for me next. So how do I effectively defend against you?

Convince me not to come after you?

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 21, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Increase the research & gem cost for magic duel. If it were lvl 7, it would take until year 4 for it to reliably appear, and 4 or 5 pearls per cast would mame it much more of an investment to get the 'sure kill' by fielding a whole line of mages.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Speleothing posted:

Increase the research & gem cost for magic duel. If it were lvl 7, it would take until year 4 for it to reliably appear, and 4 or 5 pearls per cast would mame it much more of an investment to get the 'sure kill' by fielding a whole line of mages.

1 Pearl a cast would be reasonable to be honest, even at a low research level. It would at least take some setup to make a machinegun gang.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Jabarto posted:

Lower weapon damage and/or increase protection across the board, or do something else to make protection actually matter. As it is, the highest prot you're likely to see is 21-23 or so, and it's trivially easy for any human with a spear to punch right through it. That's not even touching on the multitude of spells and weapons that bypass it completely).

Regular humans with spears do 13 damage with 20% AP. A Zweihander will have 21 protection, or 17 after the 20% AP. You both roll DRN, and your damage is going be your total minus 4 then minus however much the Zweihander rolled. You only have like 18% chance of rolling at least one damage.

High protection is amazing against regular weapons. At least, until you get worn out and start getting critical'd. But if you aren't going against an abundance of 50% AP or AN weapons, protection really matters.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 21, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just steal CBM's encumbrance and defense changes. Suddenly your lovely plate mail dudes aren't starting to pant and wheeze after 2 rounds of combat.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Fix blood communions so that they don't cost slaves, or at least don't give 100 fatigue.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Were it me I would have tried anyways and bid up all the mercs I could to add to the patrol weight, though even that may be for naught if assassin god targets the merc commander.

loving ilu bought all the mercs, so I couldn't.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I Love You! posted:

^^ Both of these are safeguard spells, however. And curse is hardly overpowered - it's there to deal with things that might not otherwise have a feasible counter and it doesn't, on its own, even do anything.

"Safeguard spell" are a really sloppy way of balancing the game though. If something truly can't be countered by conventional means, the solution is to look at what makes it so infallible and do something about it, not introduce a broken mechanic to fix another broken mechanic.

I Love You! posted:

Magic duel is a little wonky since it make a lot of pretender chassis really awful. It's there to add another layer of protection against astral which is quite frankly a good thing, but the way it limits options is pretty dumb. I'm not sure how I'd like to see it changed if at all, but it sure does suck when a cool PG is actually just a liability. I'm not sure how to fix this one.

Honestly I'd just as soon get rid of it altogether. Save-or-die spells are almost impossible to balance and are generally a terrible idea.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jabarto posted:

Honestly I'd just as soon get rid of it altogether. Save-or-die spells are almost impossible to balance and are generally a terrible idea.

Yeah, they offer nothing healthy to the game, just a small chance for anyone with access to the spell to kill literally anything without full magic immunity. Every game that's phased them out has been better for it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah well, you're talking about a game with dozens of them and a fair few that don't allow a save. Your poo poo can and will get killed if you leave an opening, get over it.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
If I spend 250 gems on this unit everyone else should just be forced to surrender to me, imo

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

I Love You! posted:

1 Pearl a cast would be reasonable to be honest, even at a low research level. It would at least take some setup to make a machinegun gang.

Duel is already 1 pearl per cast

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Dragons either not available as a disciple or recosted/remade in some way, thunderstrike with either a smaller AoE or less damage, Order giving less gold perhaps, maybe a slight gold cost increase for jaguar warriors?

Buff wise id like to see storm of thorns moved to 6, LUGH AS A PRETENDER CHASSIS, human chassis' made more attractive in some manner.

e: Oh and a bunch of mid and lower level summons given some sort of reason to summon them rather than joke chaff you dump gems into in an emergency.

LordLeckie fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 21, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Well, if all the veterans seems to agree that Order+3 is almost essential, maybe then Order is too good and it needs a nerf. There shouldn't be a scale that is clearly better than the others.
It gives +5% god, -2%events, -1 unrest reduction. Maybe the gold should be reduced to +4%?? That would be a nerf to Order3 of 3% less gold (+12 instead of +15).
I think that even then, lots of players would take it, but at least it should open up other scales combos a bit.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Please do not wreck the order gold % any further. The issue with scales is they don't differentiate enough. If you have a bunch of scales all with very tiny gold % bonuses that just makes the problem worse: now everyone will take ALL of the gold scales and builds that don't won't exist anymore.

Likewise, doing stuff like increasing protection will make the game suffer quite badly; they already counter low damage troops nicely, but the real problem is that even small increases in protection scale much greater than the stats appear. Once you're out of reasonable explosion range (or out of regular roll range against damage spells) then you're basically invincible and reasonable counters do not exist in proportions that are adequately distributed amongst nations. Simply put, you'll end up with situations where a nation with the right troops will roll 75% of their opposition and get wrecked completely by the remaining 25%. What we have right now is less binary. That's also why solutions to the prot issue tend to target the encumbrance and crit factors rather than increasing protection.

Pretty much 100% of the suggestions so far in this thread are looking at problems rather than the post-solution state.

For an actual, honest balance patch? What I want to see is:
-chaos power workarounds (stat ups are the easiest ones to implement, make it so in Order 3 a chaos power unit only loses zero or one or two stat points at most compared to the unmodded game, meaning they'll be much stronger in neutral and turmoil dominion)
-proper amphib on all underwater nations
-various leadership issues fixed (kailasa, abysia, etc)
-scales differentiation
-scaling implemented for many summons, or rather differentiation between scaling summons and non-scaling summons. scaling summons should be really good with high-level casters, non-scaling should have a good base amount, and more importantly they shouldn't overlap between roles and paths and scaling/nonscaling. requires a lot of careful thinking because you end up balancing like 20+ spells
-dragon chassis slight cost increase, or cut domscore to 1
-falling fires / falling frost research reduction to evo 4
-resist buff availability increase
-dome availability increase
-sabbath fatigue decrease

You could do pretty well by looking at something like CBM 1.6, or even 1.9 if you pruned most of the crazy and actually understood what each change was trying to accomplish.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 21, 2014

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is anybody keen on starting up a newbie game? :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

TheDemon posted:

Please do not wreck the order gold % any further. The issue with scales is they don't differentiate enough. If you have a bunch of scales all with very tiny gold % bonuses that just makes the problem worse: now everyone will take ALL of the gold scales and builds that don't won't exist anymore.

Likewise, doing stuff like increasing protection will make the game suffer quite badly; they already counter low damage troops nicely, but the real problem is that even small increases in protection scale much greater than the stats appear. Once you're out of reasonable explosion range (or out of regular roll range against damage spells) then you're basically invincible and reasonable counters do not exist in proportions that are adequately distributed amongst nations. Simply put, you'll end up with situations where a nation with the right troops will roll 75% of their opposition and get wrecked completely by the remaining 25%. What we have right now is less binary. That's also why solutions to the prot issue tend to target the encumbrance and crit factors rather than increasing protection.

Pretty much 100% of the suggestions so far in this thread are looking at problems rather than the post-solution state.

For an actual, honest balance patch? What I want to see is:
-chaos power workarounds (stat ups are the easiest ones to implement, make it so in Order 3 a chaos power unit only loses zero or one or two stat points at most compared to the unmodded game, meaning they'll be much stronger in neutral and turmoil dominion)
-proper amphib on all underwater nations
-various leadership issues fixed (kailasa, abysia, etc)
-scales differentiation
-scaling implemented for many summons, or rather differentiation between scaling summons and non-scaling summons. scaling summons should be really good with high-level casters, non-scaling should have a good base amount, and more importantly they shouldn't overlap between roles and paths and scaling/nonscaling. requires a lot of careful thinking because you end up balancing like 20+ spells
-dragon chassis slight cost increase, or cut domscore to 1
-falling fires / falling frost research reduction to evo 4
-resist buff availability increase
-dome availability increase
-sabbath fatigue decrease

You could do pretty well by looking at something like CBM 1.6, or even 1.9 if you pruned most of the crazy and actually understood what each change was trying to accomplish.

I am working on the scaling for summons in my mod, which will have a first basic test as soon as tenjou puts up the server. Also some very very minor nation fixes when things are just entirely WRONG.

I approve of modpuds decision to make dragons domscore 3, this eliminates DRAGON THUNDERDOME which every disciple game became.

• Locked thread