Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

ronya posted:

drat it use your superspeed time more productively

It's implied that moving would break it, so this is pretty much just talking as a free action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

Eightfold knows too much to be as weak and unimportant as she lets on.

Eightfold ate Spender's collection of books about spectral stuff.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well, there is another weakness of the spirit world thing. It takes energy from the spirit to pull the spectral into and keep them in that world. I didn't think spectrals would end up using super speed for everything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

Eightfold ate Spender's collection of books about spectral stuff.

I wonder if Isabel was like :ninja: 'OOPS HOW DARE YOU EAT THOSE BOOKS I LEFT NEAR YOU hey anything interesting in there?'

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

It's implied that moving would break it, so this is pretty much just talking as a free action

Well, less "implied" and more "outright stated", though Eightfold says "yet" so that might change. I wonder if the difficulty is a matter of Eightfold's weakness or the distance, though, since normally movement in this state is simple, as we've seen both with Spender's recent antics and our introduction to this sort of thing with Isaac.

Anyway, I wonder what the purpose of this is. And why the book doesn't look possessed anymore.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Anyway, I wonder what the purpose of this is. And why the book doesn't look possessed anymore.

This keeps coming up. It's because it takes time for the book to change after eightfold returns to the book.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
He posted a cool thing on Tumblr too!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whitenoise Poster posted:

This keeps coming up. It's because it takes time for the book to change after eightfold returns to the book.

I am aware of that. I just thought that it had shifted back already, since, you know, Eightfold's pretty weak and all, so it looking normal was a change here. Turns out I was mistaken, though.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Uh oh it seems eightfold wants to take a TIME OUT.. he wants us all to keep it real about...

BOOKS

oh, i could have sworn he inked it digitally.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
"How to Read," "CATS!", and "A Brief History of Underwear."

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

Dr. Buttass posted:

"How to Read," "CATS!", and "A Brief History of Underwear."

Pretty sure it's "CATS?"

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Let's split the difference and call it an interrobang.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I'm trying to read the title on the flying book in panel 6, I got as far as "On the Death of Gods" then the second line seems to be "& A Breakfast" but I'm not sure about really anything there. It might be the name of the author.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler
That book is Isabel's tool, which is "On the Birth of Gods" by Dr. A Beaumont.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

:doh: I knew that sounded familiar. I also forgot that was her tool when I was trying to read the title.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eightfold is adorable. Also still giving off "totally gonna die" vibes.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Fear not, we're just being led to more exposition.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The roar of a thousand death flags being raised at once

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

AnonSpore posted:

The roar of a thousand death flags being raised at once
Things keep gearing up towards something Bad happening. There's been so many false leads about what, though.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Can anyone other post the alt text for me? I am out of town and phone only.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Paramemetic posted:

"As your BFF I am also aware of your intense dislike for Uncool Things"

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Paramemetic posted:

"As your BFF I am also aware of your intense dislike for Uncool Things"

Also gee Eightfold I appreciate getting this exposition and all but is now really the time to talk about your backstory?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
She's preparing something! It'll probably be related to the story thus making it an awesome callback.

Also thanks guys.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Eightfold is the cutest origami monster/spirit.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Finally got around to reading this webcomic and it's pretty great. It seems to move a little slowly though - I thought things were just getting started when I caught up to the current page and realized I'd just read three years worth of updates. It's got a great style and the pace is fine narratively, I just worry if it's going to actually be able to finish.

I mean, how long has it been in-universe? Like a week?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dolash posted:

Finally got around to reading this webcomic and it's pretty great. It seems to move a little slowly though - I thought things were just getting started when I caught up to the current page and realized I'd just read three years worth of updates. It's got a great style and the pace is fine narratively, I just worry if it's going to actually be able to finish.

Well keep in mind for a long time the webcomic had no real fixed update schedule to speak of. The Mondays and Fridays thing is fairly new. That's why it seems especially slow :v:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Yeah, it didn't start updating more than once a week until late last year, and he's fairly consistent about meeting the deadline. Also, he's in school right now, wouldn't surprise me if it starts updating more often eventually.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, each page has about the content of two or three lesser webcomic updates.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
So I'm kind of stumped on what Eightfold could even be planning. To my knowledge, tools can't do anything on their own. The spirit possessing the object lends it's power to the Spectral, and the Spectral determines the rest. Which leads me to believe that this whole backstory thing will be a convenient excuse for Eightfold to ditch Isabel. Not in the "I want to get away" sense but in the "You rely on me like a crutch, but you can be so much better, so I'm gonna leave you now and force you to become the Spec-Shot Master you were always destined to be~!" sense. To boost her confidence in herself, so that she can fight off infinitely respawning digital catdogs, and not uselessly throw herself off of a moving ghost train to rescue a book at the possible risk of her life.
I mean, what else could follow a story that begins with "It all started when I met the first opponent I couldn't defeat"?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Dolash posted:

Try three days total. I know he said somewhere that the story is supposed to last a year of webcomic time, and I honestly doubt that's actually going to happen. Then again, maybe it'll update more frequently over the summer.

MikeJF posted:

Also, each page has about the content of two or three lesser webcomic updates.

This too. Unlike some other webcomic authors, Zack is good at pacing the strips out so that we don't, say, get stuck with reading a single conversation for months at a time. Or if we do, he makes sure it's an entertaining exchange.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I suppose he could cover a whole year with a few good timeskips, although the comic's plot seems pretty tight at the moment - not really much room for downtime or letting things simmer.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
SO RAD

My sunglasses approve.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zero_Tactility posted:

SO RAD

My sunglasses approve.

HOT COW.

e: Are those Isabel's parents?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And a thumbs up from the mysterious hinted-at black Activity Club member!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

MikeJF posted:

And a thumbs up from the mysterious hinted-at black Activity Club member!

Yes, oh so mysterious. Absolutely not Dmitri in any way at all.

(it is actually Garcia)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

HOT COW.

e: Are those Isabel's parents?

It would explain why she looks half latino and half asian. Also they both look like mega dorks her grandfather must hate.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Did they really sell the dog :ohdear:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Blackheart posted:

It would explain why she looks half latino and half asian. Also they both look like mega dorks her grandfather must hate.

Yeah I was gonna say. The dude in particular looks like exactly the sort of son a guy like Gramps would deem an irredeemable embarrassment and failure.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Isabel's grandfather really is the worst then. He's teaching all these skills that in a pinch could wind up being totally useless, and then trying to stop people from using more useful skills.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

SlothfulCobra posted:

Isabel's grandfather really is the worst then. He's teaching all these skills that in a pinch could wind up being totally useless, and then trying to stop people from using more useful skills.

Well, I am sure that she knows how to use Kung Fu on physical objects/beings as well. Just when she was five she didn't really understand that swords don't work on real dogs.