Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

tehk posted:

Anyone tried the Hawkeye openlrsng stuff? I am thinking about picking up the non module based one, but fpvlab keeps mentioning grounding issues and weird buzzing with their module versions so I am kind apprehensive. I need to move to a module based controller but I cant seem to unload my DX7s for anything worthwhile.

I've just ordered a hawkeye 9ch rx. The older hawkeye rx's are pretty much the same design as the flytron and orangerx lrs receivers. The newer ones have an added low pass filter. I haven't tried any of their transmitters. I'm currently using the 1w orangerx transmitter module and it seems great so far. The hawkeye has the highest actual RF power output at around 800mw the 1w orangerx is more in the 500-600mw range.

Openlrsng in general though is great. It is so fully featured and unbeatable for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Quick question for FPV goggles. Do they work with glasses? Do you need glasses for them?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

6675636b20796f75 posted:

Quick question for FPV goggles. Do they work with glasses? Do you need glasses for them?

You couldn't wear fatsharks over glasses but they do sell inserts for them http://fatshark.com/product/1751.html Other brands might work over glasses though.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
My cinemizers have knobs on each eye to do optical correction from +2 to -5 diopters. Others do this as well, but there are other options.

I put my cinemizers inside of ski goggles using a custom molded lense plate someone on fpvlab makes. You could easily just hack that yourself on a few types of goggles. I wear glasses just fine with this setup. Bonus is you get somewhere to mount the control box if you are brave enough to shorten the control connector cable.

This blocks all light which is pretty great and they are as comfortable to wear as normal ski goggles. The added weight is nothing.

edit: The Plus version can be picked up for dirt cheap on fpvlab(135 Euros). No idea where FPV plastics keeps getting them "second hand refurbished"

tehk fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 9, 2014

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Thanks for the suggestions, that really helps.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried using the Oculus Rift for FPV goggles? I just got a small helicopter as a present and although I'm probably not going to be strapping any cameras to it, I think I'll soon come to a point where I'd want to do that and will also hopefully have the Rift at that point as well.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm working on my first build, a SK450 frame, some 1000kv motors, Afro ESCs, etc. Very pumped, got the motors to spin with a little "I had my buddy hook up his power supply"-fu.

Come this time next week, I should be in the air, then out of the air, then out to get replacement parts!

I've been flying a Husban x4 for practice. Any tips on trimming up the controls? I have a kk2.0 Mutli-Rotor Control board.

I'm very new to electronics and RC (my first foray). General "I thought I was an idiot when I realized this" or "Stuff you should know" would be most appreciated.

I'msofreakin'excited. :hurr:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone tried using the Oculus Rift for FPV goggles? I just got a small helicopter as a present and although I'm probably not going to be strapping any cameras to it, I think I'll soon come to a point where I'd want to do that and will also hopefully have the Rift at that point as well.

That would be fairly difficult since the Rift uses HDMI input, and most fpv gear uses ordinary composite video.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

That would be fairly difficult since the Rift uses HDMI input, and most fpv gear uses ordinary composite video.

There is a company making a converter box for the low low price of $699...

http://emrlabs.com/index.php?pageid=3

People have also done it using a pc but the latency is around 150ms iirc.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Since DJI released light bridge (hd fpv link) and it is capable of more than 1.5km with 100mw on 2.4ghz and whip antennas I have been excited about the future of 3d rift fpv. Unfortunately the reason the transporter3d unit is so pricey is because(I assume) the rift requires a picture to be split to the two sides of the display.

When someone clones light bridge at 1W(FCC be damned) power I will probably go on a oculus dev kit one buying spree since they will be great for fpv and worthless compared to the consumer version. Hopefully a cheaper latency free converter pops up by then.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

tehk posted:

Anyone tried the Hawkeye openlrsng stuff? I am thinking about picking up the non module based one, but fpvlab keeps mentioning grounding issues and weird buzzing with their module versions so I am kind apprehensive. I need to move to a module based controller but I cant seem to unload my DX7s for anything worthwhile.

I run the DTFUHF tX, which is one version before the Hawkeye Deluxe tx. I have a DTF rx and a hawkeye RX. The DTF stuff was hand assembled by Carl in Canada. The Hawkeye stuff is produced in China. I think Hawkeye = Carl from DTF, KHA and CTN who does the coding for the chrome interface. CTN also does the baseflight naze app. Either way, it's all good stuff and several people I know fly with it. It seems to be just as reliable as any other UHF system.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Argh waiting for parts is the worst. Especially when they are coming from multiple places. I have about half the bits for my qav250 now. Hnnnnnnnnngggggg

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
Got this yesterday, flew it at lunch today. Nice little flyer, even with quite a bit of wind.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

EpicPhoton posted:

Got this yesterday, flew it at lunch today. Nice little flyer, even with quite a bit of wind.

Didn't know they made a mini version of the Radian until you posted that. I have a original Radian and it's a great mellow flier.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Didn't know they made a mini version of the Radian until you posted that. I have a original Radian and it's a great mellow flier.

Just released last week. Had it on preorder.
The AS3X works great on it, even without ailerons. The wind was kicking it around, but rather than getting flipped around and crashing nose first, it just wiggled around a bit. Wasn't able to get any really good gliding in, but it went the entire length of the park I was in with power off.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

mashed_penguin posted:

Argh waiting for parts is the worst. Especially when they are coming from multiple places. I have about half the bits for my qav250 now. Hnnnnnnnnngggggg

3 business days until I'm off the ground.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Cannon_Fodder posted:

3 business days until I'm off the ground.

I just had the frame and boardcam arrive today. Now i'm just waiting on esc's and the flight controller. Of course those bits are coming from Japan with no tracking number :negative: The frame looks really awesome. Its going to be interesting wiring everything up neatly on something so small.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

I am selling my DX7s tonight with a few spektrum goodies(DX5e, ar8000, ar600x, 120sr, mcpx) and a 350qx. So I will be without a transmitter for the weekend since the taranis I finally found in stock didn't ship till this morning and 2 day shipping wont see me until monday.

How is the x8r receiver and the Taranis default radio system in general? I am gonna have to use it until I can get a DTF or Orange UHF system shipped out. Still trying to decide which route to go. I am just glad to be rid of Spektrum and horizon poo poo once and for all. Impulse buys when I returned to the hobby really made for some bad choices, but the boxes at the hobby shop are always so tempting.

edit: How far away are we from fpv parts being available in most major cities now that 'drones' and quads are making a media buzz? Unfortunately most hobby shops are still owned by old scale pilots and nitro car guys. Only one in the philly area seems to be run by a young crowd and fortunately they stock t-motor, dji arfs/nazas, and a few other quad parts but nothing video wise.

tehk fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 11, 2014

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

tehk posted:

How is the x8r receiver and the Taranis default radio system in general? I am gonna have to use it until I can get a DTF or Orange UHF system shipped out. Still trying to decide which route to go. I am just glad to be rid of Spektrum and horizon poo poo once and for all. Impulse buys when I returned to the hobby really made for some bad choices, but the boxes at the hobby shop are always so tempting.

Its good. The frsky radio gear is arguably the best 2.4 radio system as far as reliability and link quality goes.

Because I like torturing myself I put my qav250 together even though I still need parts to get it flying... :shepface:

Well I've been torturing myself by assembling my qav250 even though I'm still waiting on the naze and the escs.

I'm really looking forward to flying this one. Of course the naze and escs are in the one package that doesn't have a tracking number. Its the first stuff I've ordered from abusemark so I'm not sure what to expect.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

If I had friend who flew I would totally be all over a qav250 or blackout mini for some pod racing. They look so fun to fly low and fast.

So I killed my 1.3 700mw $13 hobbyking vtx and now they are back ordered perpetually. The worst thing is unlike 5.8 transmitters 1.3 vtxs looks like the same tin box and it is hard to tell the actual outputs. Unfortunately it is becoming way to hard to get gray channel(1050-1240) replaced in the US so I also need a new reciever.

Where the hell can I get a good deal on this poo poo besides ready made rc? They seem to be the only company that puts out actual specs and upgrades Chinese vtxs instead of just rebranding? 5.8 gear has such a better product selection since it is more fpv ground up(fatsharkr immersion)products than repurposed lawmate security poo poo.

tehk fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 12, 2014

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Finished building this tonight:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

Finished building this tonight:

Nice.

Last night I smoked a brand new lawmate 2.4vtx by plugging the wrong wire into it. :qq:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Are there any decent frames that cover or shield propellers from impact if you crash? I'm still pretty terrible at flying, so I appreciate that the Blade Nano has those little guards that save my props when I screw up and crash it into stuff. I'm building a quad based on the HAL Turnigy frame, but I'm a bit worried about coming in for a landing slightly crooked & flipping it and busting my props (or worse, something expensive). Or letting a friend fly it and having something similar happen.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Arcturas posted:

Are there any decent frames that cover or shield propellers from impact if you crash? I'm still pretty terrible at flying, so I appreciate that the Blade Nano has those little guards that save my props when I screw up and crash it into stuff. I'm building a quad based on the HAL Turnigy frame, but I'm a bit worried about coming in for a landing slightly crooked & flipping it and busting my props (or worse, something expensive). Or letting a friend fly it and having something similar happen.

As the quads get bigger anything that would protect the props gets too heavy and can mess with the flight dynamics a lot. On bigger quads they wouldn't even offer that much protection. Props are pretty cheap as it is and the HAL is quite big so I'd say probably not.

But doesn't the HAL have that dome thing that encases all the important electronics? If looks like the only thing sticking out would be the props and motors.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I haven't started building it yet because international shipping, but it's got that nifty dome dealio. I mostly am worried about the props and motors, and don't have a handle on how durable those are.

Plus I think I broke my Nano by messing up either a connector or the flight control board, so I might be over-sensitive to what can damage quads.

Speaking of, any advice on diagnosing a problem with a Nano? It doesn't really like taking off and sorta limps through the air now, as if one of the motors isn't properly spinning. I've replaced all four motors and all the props. I can see a small crack in the frame along that arm, but it doesn't look big enough to affect flight characteristics, nor would it explain why one of the motors would spin slowly/not at all. The connectors to the FCB all seem properly seated. So I guess it's either the FCB or the frame, but if I replace both, I'll have spent so much on parts that I should have just bought a new one.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, I haven't started building it yet because international shipping, but it's got that nifty dome dealio. I mostly am worried about the props and motors, and don't have a handle on how durable those are.

Plus I think I broke my Nano by messing up either a connector or the flight control board, so I might be over-sensitive to what can damage quads.

Speaking of, any advice on diagnosing a problem with a Nano? It doesn't really like taking off and sorta limps through the air now, as if one of the motors isn't properly spinning. I've replaced all four motors and all the props. I can see a small crack in the frame along that arm, but it doesn't look big enough to affect flight characteristics, nor would it explain why one of the motors would spin slowly/not at all. The connectors to the FCB all seem properly seated. So I guess it's either the FCB or the frame, but if I replace both, I'll have spent so much on parts that I should have just bought a new one.

The whole boards seem to burn out. The proto x seems to have 100-200 flights in it before motors or chips just burn out for no reason and it's done.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I'm on the verge of picking up a Hobbyzone Champ to learn to fly airplanes with. Any other recommendations for first timer planes? I have a Spektrum TX already so Hobbyzone is a plus, but I can always get an OrangeRX receiver if I have to. I have a bit of experience flying quadcopters.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

porksmash posted:

I'm on the verge of picking up a Hobbyzone Champ to learn to fly airplanes with. Any other recommendations for first timer planes? I have a Spektrum TX already so Hobbyzone is a plus, but I can always get an OrangeRX receiver if I have to. I have a bit of experience flying quadcopters.

The Champ is a great way to learn. It's cheap, very tough if flown over grass, and has Horizon support behind it. Hard to go wrong with that. If you want to do FPV afterwards a SkySurfer or similar will be an easy transition after the Champ.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Does anyone have experience with the T-Motor 1806 motors on a mini quad/hex? I'm interested in them for 4s use for a mini Y6 with Mobius gimbal.

tehk posted:

So I killed my 1.3 700mw $13 hobbyking vtx and now they are back ordered perpetually. The worst thing is unlike 5.8 transmitters 1.3 vtxs looks like the same tin box and it is hard to tell the actual outputs. Unfortunately it is becoming way to hard to get gray channel(1050-1240) replaced in the US so I also need a new reciever.

Where the hell can I get a good deal on this poo poo besides ready made rc? They seem to be the only company that puts out actual specs and upgrades Chinese vtxs instead of just rebranding? 5.8 gear has such a better product selection since it is more fpv ground up(fatsharkr immersion)products than repurposed lawmate security poo poo.
Unless your set on 1.3 because of investment in antennas or something, you should consider going 2.3 next time you buy a vtx. Pretty much nothing is using the 2.3 band and Wifi and 2.4ghz RC don't mess with it. Good penetration and small antenna size are benefits as well. There are 4 channels in the 2.3 band now, but hopefully more will come. If you absolutely want the best, Iftron is now selling 200mw 1.3ghz vtxs that are hand tuned in Colorado and guaranteed to output exactly what they claim. They will be offering more 1.3ghz vtxs of varying power soon.

I've been doing some projects recently but haven't made any videos so I did a little compilation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOP5LXdty0w

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Nice trailer vid. I've had a phantom 2 with H3-2D gimbal for about two months now and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. We became distributors of DJI products and it's always good for a little hands on experience with stuff. I've had TREX helis in the past and this thing is just a ball. Doesn't require anything near the mental fortitude to fly. Where do you get your disco/nintendo music for your vids?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Vitamin J posted:

Does anyone have experience with the T-Motor 1806 motors on a mini quad/hex? I'm interested in them for 4s use for a mini Y6 with Mobius gimbal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOP5LXdty0w

I don't have any experience with those but I'm going to 3d print a mobius gimbal for my qav250. I'm not sure yet whether to mount it on the top plate or have extended legs for it and have it underslung.

For 4s I went with the cobra 2206 1960kv motors which get good feedback online.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I pulled the trigger on modern RC stuff and placed an order for a Bixler 2 from HobbyKing. Those fuckers were disappearing from stock almost as I watched.

If it weren't for knowing they are a for reals retailer I'd have balked since their site and cart seems janky as poo poo. Disappearing cart contents, sometimes screws up quantity, super mystery "we cannot ship your order because it is too big and/or heavy - please check the list below" (everything is shipshape according to the list) :confused: and so forth.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Mister Sinewave posted:

super mystery "we cannot ship your order because it is too big and/or heavy - please check the list below" (everything is shipshape according to the list) :confused: and so forth.

This happens if you have a big order and try to add LiPos. Take out any lithium batteries and put them in another order.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Really? I was pretty sure I had already taken out all batteries since it refused them with a message before, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

First purchase but I'm a veteran HobbyKing shipping cart user :frogc00l:

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Mister Sinewave posted:

Really? I was pretty sure I had already taken out all batteries since it refused them with a message before, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

First purchase but I'm a veteran HobbyKing shipping cart user :frogc00l:

I tried to make a huge purchase 2 weeks ago and it gave me the jibber-jabber about "No shipping option available". I looked at the available shipping options and quite a few of them matched the weight and length, and couldn't figure out what the problem was. Turns out those larger shipping options didn't allow lithium batts.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

What are the chances of me killing my orangerx lrs reciever friday when it finally arrives after its 40 day journey on the silk road thanks to swiss post? I paid for EMS, HK support is useless and says Swiss is their method of choice even though I paid $15 extra and wont be refunded

My worry with the openlrsng flash is my 3.3v i/o 5v vcc FTDI that I have to remove the red wire from and hope I can power the receiver by putting it into the servo + pin. On the TX I guess i will hack up a way to power it from my taranis. I figure I have a 50% chance at not frying it.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

tehk posted:

What are the chances of me killing my orangerx lrs reciever friday when it finally arrives after its 40 day journey on the silk road thanks to swiss post? I paid for EMS, HK support is useless and says Swiss is their method of choice even though I paid $15 extra and wont be refunded

My worry with the openlrsng flash is my 3.3v i/o 5v vcc FTDI that I have to remove the red wire from and hope I can power the receiver by putting it into the servo + pin. On the TX I guess i will hack up a way to power it from my taranis. I figure I have a 50% chance at not frying it.

Just make sure you plug nothing into vcc on the ftdi header. Power it from the servo bus with 5v and it will be fine. One thing to bear in mind with the openlrs recievers is that they don't like being rapidly power cycled. Always give it a good 15 seconds after removing power before reapplying it.

For FTDI stuff I bought a bunch of 6 pin arduino jumper cables off of ebay. I just removed the VCC wire from one of them to avoid accidents. Didn't stop me killing an openlrs tx though when I put it in the radio without the case and misaligned the pins by one. Cooked the RF module instantly.

One of the annoying things about the 1w openlrs tx is that it won't connect when powered off a USB port. You have to power it from the radio or another 5v source to have enough power.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

mashed_penguin posted:

One of the annoying things about the 1w openlrs tx is that it won't connect when powered off a USB port. You have to power it from the radio or another 5v source to have enough power.

Is 1w the real power draw or emitted power? USB should be able to handle that, 2A@5V. Tried from a powered hub or card?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

Is 1w the real power draw or emitted power? USB should be able to handle that, 2A@5V. Tried from a powered hub or card?

Real emitted power is around 600mw. I think you have to drive the RFM22b at 6v to get 1w output power. I don't have a powered hub to try but I have heard that that works. Its easy enough to just pop the back cover of the module off and power it from the radio though.

What I have really been meaning to do is installing a raised connector so I can just plug the ftdi in without taking the case off at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
So I'm about done with this. 1 Hobbyking order, 4 trips to the local hobby shop for things I forgot, as well as a trip to Menards and a trip to Michaels. I've never built OR flown an RC airplane, so I'm feeling pretty good that I have everything hooked up and functional. Should be able to try it out tomorrow if the weather improves!

Only registered members can see post attachments!