Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

United have apparently told talkSPORT he is definitely not being sacked...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FullLeatherJacket posted:

This is easy to say in hindsight, though, but the same still applies to Rodgers (why pick him for the Liverpool job when he'd had two seasons as a manager and his best achievement was finishing midtable with a newly promoted team, no better than Paul Lambert or Steve Bruce) or Martinez (essentially built his career on repeatedly narrowly avoiding relegation, up until he didn't). It's not particularly unreasonable for clubs who aren't Chelsea to hire a midtable manager who's consistently done well.

If only everyone was as happy with Moyes as you. TRP is fully behind you: more time for Moyes! Together we can prevent this disgraceful sacking.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
How stressful could managing a football club be. If someone put me in charge if Real Madrid for ten million a year it'd be like you dunked me in the fountain of youth.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

Banking hard on getting him to resign

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
The loving Toffees are to blame for everything this season.

I'll miss you Dave. Your candle burned too dim.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Xabi posted:

It's disgusting to watch bullish fans try to force him out of the club IMO.

The thing is.. look at that Man United squad. It's absolutely loving awful for a side who's supposedly one of the best in the world. The majority of the better players are past their prime, the rest are average or never good enough for the most part.

Plus they rewarded Wayne Rooney for wanting away repeatedly by giving him three hundred thousand pounds per week.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

I really hope he doesn't resign though because the way United are going about this is is hosed up
Imagine how humiliating that would be as well. He'd be like the anti-Brian Clough. Its not as if United are hurting for the money either. Unless hes on Januzaj wages, I can't see it being a huge dent in their financials.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

barry from salford will be holding the line in a right old huff

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

EvilHawk posted:

I want him gone, but want to see him stay at the same time for the laugh

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Like I said, his contract will have performance related clauses in it. I highly imagine hes been on his 'final written warning' or some other HR crap since Bayern booted us out the champions league.

I'm assuming none of the clauses are "get us into the CL or we'll write of your entire compensation package" though.
They'll owe him a fuckton unless he gets them relegated I imagine.

It's Hicks/Gillette levels of pathetic.
It's the club's responsibility for getting into this situation, just pay the man off.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Looking forward to the next manager taking them to sixth next year

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
if his name was Antonio Pulis he'd have got the job first time. lucky for United they'll get a chance to put things right

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

EvilHawk posted:

They've told everyone else they have no comment. I doubt they've been told differently

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

This is easy to say in hindsight, though, but the same still applies to Rodgers (why pick him for the Liverpool job when he'd had two seasons as a manager and his best achievement was finishing midtable with a newly promoted team, no better than Paul Lambert or Steve Bruce) or Martinez (essentially built his career on repeatedly narrowly avoiding relegation, up until he didn't). It's not particularly unreasonable for clubs who aren't Chelsea to hire a midtable manager who's consistently done well.

Managers like Martinez and Rodgers have an attacking vision, always wanting to win and have an innovative way of thinking thats arguably was bigger and more ambitious than the clubs they were managing.

Moyes did well for Everton but never seemed like he could take them any further. They very much focused on high work rate and being tough to beat, but was rarely convincing that he would have any ambition beyond that and didn't really try to is it either. His miserable record against the best teams away continuously proved that.

Not that I would write off all his years of good work at Everton, he's just not the right kind of manager for a top club where there's pressure to win every match and win trophies.

With all that said, it can't be the easiest job to take, and how could he turn down a chance like that?

Just a shame for United he took that chance so poorly.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

DickEmery posted:

I'm assuming none of the clauses are "get us into the CL or we'll write of your entire compensation package" though.
They'll owe him a fuckton unless he gets them relegated I imagine.

It's Hicks/Gillette levels of pathetic.
It's the club's responsibility for getting into this situation, just pay the man off.

If I was given a job then spent 9 months being so bad at it the company as a whole suffered and through my actions had a great impact on their amount of revenue I'd expect to get sacked and not get a huge pay off tbh.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

ayb posted:

They've told everyone else they have no comment. I doubt they've been told differently

Gonna be mutual consent

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Infact I cant think of any other job outside of the finance industry where you get rewarded for being poo poo.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Babby Thatcher posted:

if his name was Antonio Pulis he'd have got the job first time. lucky for United they'll get a chance to put things right

Pulis at a top club has been done before.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
The official United Twitter hasn't said a word since linking matas blog 4 hours ago. Very unlike them

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
So do we think Moyes will have to start again in the championship, or will someone like West Brom or Norwich give him a go?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
My lasting memory of Moyes at United will be that video of him trying to join in with training, him running like the slow kid on the playground and then getting megged. RIP David 'Davey' Moyes.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

@AmandaJDavies: Phil Townsend, director of comms at #mufc tells @JohnSinnott “Nothing has happened at all. I don’t know where the suggestion has come from.”

It's....not happening?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Infact I cant think of any other job outside of the finance industry where you get rewarded for being poo poo.

serious gaylord posted:

If I was given a job then spent 9 months being so bad at it the company as a whole suffered and through my actions had a great impact on their amount of revenue I'd expect to get sacked and not get a huge pay off tbh.

Neither of you have much dealings with C-Level recruitment then.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

serious gaylord posted:

Most people don't have contracts where they're guaranteed employment for a number of years though, so the comparison doesn't really work.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Blue Screen Error posted:

Its not hindsight though, everyone said he would be poo poo at Man U

I don't think they really did, save the people who poo poo all over everything regardless, and the ones who believed that United would immediately implode once Ferguson left whatever happened (and who now still believe this).

United went looking for somebody who was going to carry on in the manner that it was built, somebody who had the right work ethic and who would be able to show the right commitment to the club. It was very clear what they wanted, and why the chose the person they did, in the same way that Liverpool didn't go out and sign Rodgers purely because no-one else was available. They wanted him as part of the long-term project for the club. I don't think that was necessarily the wrong thing to do. Maybe in retrospect you do what Barcelona did and give Mike Phelan the opportunity to run the club full-time, but considering Brian Kidd and Carlos Queiroz, that may not have worked out brilliantly.

It was obvious, of course, that Moyes was going to have to adapt how he played, I even remember Neville & Carragher talking about it in the build-up to the season, and that seems to be where it's fallen down. The idea that the players are poo poo is nonsense. There are individuals who are suspect and positions that are weak, but as much as Mourinho is not a wizard, neither was Ferguson. The team he left behind was not a seventh-place team, and people who believe that he did shouldn't be allowed sharp objects on the ward. Of course, the acid test is going to be how the players perform, or are willing to perform, under a new manager. But I think the performance against Olympiakos showed that there's definitely quality there for someone who's able to get it to work.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Redundant posted:

My lasting memory of Moyes at United will be that video of him trying to join in with training, him running like the slow kid on the playground and then getting megged. RIP David 'Davey' Moyes.

please link this

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

tarbrush posted:

So do we think Moyes will have to start again in the championship, or will someone like West Brom or Norwich give him a go?

You just listed two teams that means starting again in the championship...

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
It's not even been a year since Ferguson retired

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I am not looking forward to Utd hiring a competent manager and being good again.

Don't worry, that'll probably take a decade. Unless they buy a bunch of teenagers who turn out to be world class they ain't gonna have the budget to challenge for the league any time soon (right?)

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

tarbrush posted:

Tottenham

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
I never in a million years thought the United implosion would be this sweet.
But when they chose Moyes and not Klopp or Guardiola or Ancelotti it was definitely a nice surprise.

Ferguson and Gill must be genuinely hands off now if the club can be so hosed so quickly.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

ayb posted:

TalkSPORT are our official Poorly Informed Shouting & Bullshit Partners for the Home Counties

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

The idea that the players are poo poo is nonsense. There are individuals who are suspect and positions that are weak, but as much as Mourinho is not a wizard, neither was Ferguson. The team he left behind was not a seventh-place team, and people who believe that he did shouldn't be allowed sharp objects on the ward.

Your team is poo poo and is exactly where it deserves to be. Write 10,000 more words about it.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I'm sure Moyes can still get a job in the top flight. West Brom probably wishes they had someone like him right now.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

I don't think they really did, save the people who poo poo all over everything regardless, and the ones who believed that United would immediately implode once Ferguson left whatever happened (and who now still believe this).

You say this like it hasn't happened

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Answers Me posted:

Don't worry, that'll probably take a decade. Unless they buy a bunch of teenagers who turn out to be world class they ain't gonna have the budget to challenge for the league any time soon (right?)

unfortunately they're really good at getting sponsorships

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Modus Trollens posted:

please link this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqper6uOP_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njjqcW0rtVU

You magnificent bastard :allears:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Cart Cam posted:

You just listed two teams that means starting again in the championship...

I vaguely assume one of the two will survive given how bad Fulham and Cardiff are.

Salt Water Solution
Dec 28, 2005

ROCK AND ROLL IS FULL OF BAD WOOLS
Might go abroad. Remember him being linked to Schalke a couple of years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Answers Me posted:

Oh please.
Liverpool are challenging with Kolo loving Toure.
Utd could quite easily challenge for the league with the squad they have now plus a couple of additions.

• Locked thread