Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Pootybutt posted:

In news I never thought I'd hear(but are pretty psyched it's real), Masaaki Yuasa wrote, storyboarded and directed an upcoming ep of Adventure Time.

This is incredible. I'd never believe it without the clip. It turns out my mother was wrong: life is fair, and I'm finally getting what's due to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
It's obvious Yuasa can match the absurdism of Adventure Time. Though my favorite part of that show is the "kid friendly" black comedy. I have never seen a show kill so many things for comedic effect as Adventure Time, or so well. What I've seen from Yuasa has made me go more "that's really weird" and less "that's hosed up".

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Freakazoid_ posted:

How often do anime artists, directors and such cross over into western animation? Also vice versa?

A lot of American animation is actually animated in Japan, or at least it used to be [I think a lot of it is done in South Korea now]. As far as high level production, though, there's stuff like the Animatrix and Batman: Gotham Knights which paired Japanese directors/animators with American writers.

And there were a couple of episodes of the French animated series Wakfu that were made in Japan, one of which featured character designs by Yuasa:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-26/wakfu-english-dub-kickstarter-adds-2-japanese-animated-episodes

As for the other way around, Thomas Romain and Bahi JD are doing some really nice things with Space Dandy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pootybutt posted:

In news I never thought I'd hear(but are pretty psyched it's real), Masaaki Yuasa wrote, storyboarded and directed an upcoming ep of Adventure Time.

This may be no joke the best animation-related news I've ever heard.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Pootybutt posted:

Holy dingles, it's a Magic Man episode? That's so, so perfect. He's basically that show's Q, only more of a dick.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Inferno Cop 2 now officially in production.

Edit: Or it might just be Trigger loving around again, take that article with a grain of salt.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

It'll be finished by tomorrow, perhaps?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I expect they're doing it as a sort of cooldown after Kill la Kill, while the pre-production staff works on Little Witch Academia.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

jonjonaug posted:

Inferno Cop 2 now officially in production.

Edit: Or it might just be Trigger loving around again, take that article with a grain of salt.

I can only hope this means the return of Turning Girls.

Returning Girls?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The first episode of M3 felt like it was breezing past any meaningful or comprehensible introduction to its characters in order to get to fight scenes that weren't a particularly good payoff. Like how the temp worker is cleaning toilets at the school and watching the robots spar, then she's suddenly muscling her way into the elevator with some of the students who have been selected for the training program like she's trying to sneak in and pass herself off as someone who's supposed to be there, and only a couple scenes later do we find out that she was there because she really had been selected for the same program. Or the mess that is the stuff that has to do with the main guy's past. It seems like bad direction is going to sink the series.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

The first episode of M3 felt like it was breezing past any meaningful or comprehensible introduction to its characters in order to get to fight scenes that weren't a particularly good payoff. Like how the temp worker is cleaning toilets at the school and watching the robots spar, then she's suddenly muscling her way into the elevator with some of the students who have been selected for the training program like she's trying to sneak in and pass herself off as someone who's supposed to be there, and only a couple scenes later do we find out that she was there because she really had been selected for the same program. Or the mess that is the stuff that has to do with the main guy's past. It seems like bad direction is going to sink the series.

She says "I don't know why I was chosen..." 10 seconds before she barges onto the elevator, and she's not with the three of them at first because she says she is from a different school so it makes sense she came on her own. And the MC's past isn't a mess, it just hasn't been explained in its entirety yet. There's enough there to get a sense of who he his and his personality from what we do know.

The first episode of M3 was decent. Some of the characters, like the coach and pigtails are a bit annoying and the majority of them didn't get much characterization beyond a basic personality. But I found the rest of it to be pretty interesting, and there was quite a bit of interesting info contrary to the above poster's statement. 3 episodes to see how it goes, but it's not anything amazing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Mekaku #2 was better than #1, and that was the one with kids with superpowers fighting terrorists. I guess Momo's a better character than loser Arararagi. And I found #1's nerd metahumour irritating.

M3 has potential, it does wear everything on its sleeve, and doesn't look like it's going to surprise us very much. They've dumped a load of pre-marked plot threads to follow up on. The mechs have a nice elegant design, like a practical version of the Code Geass mechs.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
So... Somebody decided to edit the Brynhildr OP :stare:.

Needless to say its super-duper :gay:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6ODqao2kA0

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I kind of like Brynhildr, it had Elfen Lied's bleakness and death being one minor gently caress up away, without (so far) any of its shittier aspects.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Watched the third episode of Akuma no Riddle. I think the idea is really neat and has potential, but this is a bit of a half-assed attempt and isn't as interesting as it could be. Dropped.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Been watching a lot of first few eps of each series to see if there's anything that catches my interest.

Blade and Soul
Even though it starts out with a lot of action I can't help but feel bored through the whole episode. Everything feels so by the book that mass death feels like a checklist. Dropped.

Black Bullet
The monsters are interesting but feels rather generic so far. I've only seen the first episode so far so I'll give it another couple episodes to test.

Brynhildr in the Darkness
I really liked the first episode but after what a few people said about the manga I looked it up. I'm not sure I want to continue if that's how the series is going. Author is a little too into violent gore for me.

Captain Eath
I'm a sucker for super robot shows. I really like Star Driver and so far I really like Captain Earth. I'll definitely be following this.

Chaika the Coffin Princess
Characters are interesting and premise has promise. I'm not sure where the main characters are headed but I'll be interested in their train of thought throughout the show. Will follow with hope.

Is the Order a Rabbit?
Show is super relaxed and cute. Tippy is the roundest fattest rabbit I've seen to date. I hope they get into the more shenanigans with coffee. Following this.

Jojo's
Definite follow. I've only seen bits of the first season so I hope I don't miss much by not going back to watch it.

Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara
I didn't think much of this when I first say the website and premise. But the show is rather enjoyable for me. So far it hasn't really gone into creepy territory and hope it stays light hearted. Following.

Love Live!
Saw this pop up on Crunchyroll and was marked season 2. Decided to give season 1 a try before season 2 came out. Rather enjoyable and heart warming. Not really about the idol industry but more about the efforts of a school club and their members. Season 2 is more of the same writing and set up so I'll be following it.

Magica Wars
I don't know what's going on and the episodes are too short for me to care enough to find out. Pass

Mekakucity Actors
Shaft as gently caress, head tilts and all. First episode as peaked my interest enough to give it the 3 ep test. Will probably end up following it till the end.

Mushi-shi
Will probably wait for most of the series to be out before I marathon through it. But I liked the first season that came out years ago so I'm not too worried about this season disappointing.

Nanana's Buried Treasure
First couple of episodes is all set up but I like the possibility of anime Indiana Jones. Following in hopes of giant boulder running.

No Game No Life
There's been a lot of back and forth about the nature of this series. As far as the fan service it's way less then some harem series that are out. The brother/sister thing is awkward but they don't seem to dwell on it much in the anime. I do like the mind games and puzzle deconstructions. Will be following it to see how many games get used.

One Week Friends
Found this series to be really warm and fuzzy. Characters reactions are not exaggerated and drama seems to get sorted out without it dragging on for too long. There is an over hanging sense of :smith: that I feel as I watch this. I really hope it doesn't go the route of Beautiful Life or I'm going to be upset.

The Irregular at Magic
Case of so bad it's good? Maybe. I'll give it another couple of episode to see how broken the MC can really be.

The Kawai Complex
Seen two episodes so far and I like the character interactions. Main character is just as weird and off as the other characters. Going to see where this goes.

The World is Still Beautiful
Seen the first episode so far. Interesting premise with the Rain Princess and God Emperor. Aside from one scene the episode was enjoyable. Will probably follow it.

Kindaichi
I liked the movies they did years ago but for some reason this time I wasn't as compelled to watch. The pacing seemed to drag and be inconsistent. I think Kindaichi works better as stand alone movies rather then a series but I guess this iteration just isn't for me.

I'm interested in Akuma no Riddle but haven't had a chance to check out Funimation's shows yet.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Revolver Bunker posted:

Jojo's
Definite follow. I've only seen bits of the first season so I hope I don't miss much by not going back to watch it.

Go watch Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency NOW (Part 1 was the first 9 Episodes, Part 2 was the rest of the episodes.). You have two days and some odd hours to slam down all of it before the next episode.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Battle Tendency is the greatest thing. Jonathon Joestar was a staid, boring man, full of naive nobility, who was gifted with incredible power by his betters.

Joseph Joestar is a swaggering rear end in a top hat who repeatedly fucks with everyone around him and never fights fair when he could pull off some ridiculous gambit and humiliate you.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Yes, but the first season has really bad animation. Watching an action show with bad animation is pretty dull no matter how good the rest is, especially when the fights sometimes take up entire episodes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm watching Battle Tendency right now and I don't think it's been particularly poorly animated, at least compared to what has been bad enough in the past to actually bother me.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

Battle Tendency is the greatest thing. Jonathon Joestar was a staid, boring man, full of naive nobility, who was gifted with incredible power by his betters.

Joseph Joestar is a swaggering rear end in a top hat who repeatedly fucks with everyone around him and never fights fair when he could pull off some ridiculous gambit and humiliate you.

Yeah, Phantom Blood is like, the lowest on the JoJo totem pole for me. It's very..."Hero saves the day, then dies.
The second series, Battle Tendency, took a bit more risks. The third is where it really picked up, and after that is when the series really got interesting.

Of course, there is a ton of fun to be had in reading translations of the latest series.
"The leaf was moved by the wind on this street"

Nate RFB posted:

I'm watching Battle Tendency right now and I don't think it's been particularly poorly animated, at least compared to what has been bad enough in the past to actually bother me.

The first season should be Phantom Blood if I'm remembering correctly. BT is S2.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
^^Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency combined are the first season.

Phobophilia posted:

That is why Joseph is the best Jojo so far. Not only is he a magnificent bastard who loves to gently caress with people, he's just the coolest dude overall.

And yes, go watch all of the first season as it is all on CR anyway.

e: Since the KLK thread is closed, let me leave this here: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/04/23/official-kill-la-kill-aikuro-mikisugi-version-dtr-cosplay-sort-of-goes-on-sale

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 23, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The first season of Jojo does have some iffy animation, but luckily everything else about the presentation more than makes up for it.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Revolver Bunker posted:

The Irregular at Magic
Case of so bad it's good? Maybe. I'll give it another couple of episode to see how broken the MC can really be.

I feel like it'd be a fun, dumb power fantasy if they completely cut the sister out of it. It wouldn't be a good show but I probably wouldn't have dropped it.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I feel like Mahouka is too mean-spirited to be funny. Stuff like SAO and Index is just dumb teen validation fantasy, but Mahouka is more like a wearing trench-coats to school and writing in your actual Death Note revenge fantasy. The message is less "You can be special too, and get all the girls!" and more like "Your ability to min/max videogame combat systems is inherently valuable and the world is objectively wrong for not appreciating you. We'll show them!"

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

The third episode of No Game No Life is out. It dropped most of the creepy fanservice, and instead added in more Jojo references and a couple Ace Attorney ones, as well as the greatest 'chess' game ever. I hope the rest of the series is more like this.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

AfroSquirrel posted:

as well as the greatest 'chess' game ever. I hope the rest of the series is more like this.

Can I get this in ggkthx flavor?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mercrom posted:

Yes, but the first season has really bad animation. Watching an action show with bad animation is pretty dull no matter how good the rest is, especially when the fights sometimes take up entire episodes.

Well, it's more that they had a shoestring budget. However, they used what they did have pretty well.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Well, it's more that they had a shoestring budget. However, they used what they did have pretty well.
One particular thing I enjoyed: the use of color and patterns in reaction/dramatic shots is fantastic.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

The animation is simple as hell because of it, but they do it in such a way that it fits just fine. And on top of that, the artistic direction is brilliant. It honestly doesn't feel like a low budget show at all.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Redcrimson posted:

I feel like Mahouka is too mean-spirited to be funny. Stuff like SAO and Index is just dumb teen validation fantasy, but Mahouka is more like a wearing trench-coats to school and writing in your actual Death Note revenge fantasy. The message is less "You can be special too, and get all the girls!" and more like "Your ability to min/max videogame combat systems is inherently valuable and the world is objectively wrong for not appreciating you. We'll show them!"
Yeah, that was what I was getting out of it (and that I wanted nothing to do with it's creeper Incest bullshit). It's a shame too cause the set up of magic being boiled down into yet another mundane thing and everything had such a good set up. But wasting it on the "amazing" adventures of Herro Sagara and his forbidden insestral love is just galling.

AfroSquirrel posted:

The third episode of No Game No Life is out. It dropped most of the creepy fanservice, and instead added in more Jojo references and a couple Ace Attorney ones, as well as the greatest 'chess' game ever. I hope the rest of the series is more like this.
As an aside, if CR are going to translate on screen Onomatopoeia could they at least use Onomatopoeia and not stupid bullshit like "meanacing"?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 23, 2014

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

AfroSquirrel posted:

Seriously, how the hell are you supposed to "Prove" someone is cheating when apparently Chess pieces moving on their own, refusing to move on command, and growing minds and hearts of their own and using brainwashing magic on each other is "Everything is perfectly fine, there's no possible way this is cheating!"

Then again, the fact that it seems to work both ways Does seem to mitigate it a bit.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ConanThe3rd posted:

As an aside, if CR are going to translate on screen Onomatopoeia could they at least use Onomatopoeia and not stupid bullshit like "meanacing"?

And, uh, what exactly is the English onomatopoeia for "menacing"? :v:

Redcrimson posted:

That. That is a pretty good point. I think that goes a long way to explaining why it pisses me off so much. Thanks.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

And, uh, what exactly is the English onomatopoeia for "menacing"? :v:

Dun dun dun DUN!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Potsticker posted:

Dun dun dun DUN!

I thought his complaint was pretty stupid but I see I was mistaken. This was a missed opportunity.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
http://a.pomf.se/zmmuby.webm

No Game No Life is perfect. All of you whiners should go home. :colbert:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

ViggyNash posted:

The animation is simple as hell because of it, but they do it in such a way that it fits just fine. And on top of that, the artistic direction is brilliant. It honestly doesn't feel like a low budget show at all.
The first season of JoJo's is full of static shots that, even though I've never read the original, I look at and go "this is absolutely 100% a panel pulled straight from the manga." It gives the show kind of a motion comic-y feel (although obviously it's not quite at that level of limited animation), which I actually like about it; something about the direction is actually pretty charming and works well with how incredibly over-the-top the story is.

Emalde posted:

http://a.pomf.se/zmmuby.webm

No Game No Life is perfect. All of you whiners should go home. :colbert:

Everything I hear about this show makes me think "there's a decent premise in here but I'm pretty sure I don't want to watch this thing" but gently caress I might actually have to watch that thing.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 24, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Opposing Farce posted:

Everything I hear about this show makes me think "there's a decent premise in here but I'm pretty sure I don't want to watch this thing" but gently caress I might actually have to watch that thing.

Let me help you with that decision.

Here's what the cover of volume 3 looks like (NSFW). Here's one illustration of what is apparently a scene from the books (NSFW). Here is another (NSFW).

Seriously for all of my complaining about light novels I've certainly sat through worse over in VN land to get to the "good parts", but that's harder with anime and people are kind of willfully ignoring and understating the unsavory aspects of NGNL right now in favor of HEY GUYS JOJO/ACE ATTORNEY REFERENCES, particularly when recommending the show to others. The basic premise actually does look pretty cool by taking the "dorks get transported to game world" premise and not even trying to hide how ridiculous it is and just having fun with it, but you should probably be aware of the awful looking bits too before jumping in.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 24, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

Let me help you with that decision.

Here's what the cover of volume 3 looks like (NSFW). Here's one illustration of what is apparently a scene from the books (NSFW). Here is another (NSFW).

Seriously for all of my complaining about light novels I've certainly sat through worse over in VN land to get to the "good parts", but that's harder with anime and people are kind of willfully ignoring and understating the unsavory aspects of NGNL right now in favor of HEY GUYS JOJO/ACE ATTORNEY REFERENCES, particularly when recommending the show to others. The basic premise actually does look pretty cool by taking the "dorks get transported to game world" premise and not even trying to hide how ridiculous it is and just having fun with it, but you should probably be aware of the awful looking bits too before jumping in.

I feel like I'm going to seesaw on this show for its entire duration. After all the positive posts, I went and finished episode 2 and watched 3, and it was actually pretty awesome. The MC duo is autistic to the point where it's hilarious so I don't mind the brother/sister weirdness, and, apart from that part in the middle of the second episode, there haven't been anymore overtly skeevy scenes.

And then you go and post that. I guess I'll have to enjoy the good parts while they last, then sigh and skip over the dumb poo poo when it rears its ugly head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Does it help that I said that the first episode seemed to have toned down those parts. The 2nd episode continued that trend as well of being less creepy than the source material, but a lot of people backed out regardless. Like you could have linked the LN's version of the bathhouse scene(NSFW), and you can already compare it to episode 2, which was not even close to being that creepy. At the moment, the anime seems to be going out of its way to keep the skeeviness to a minimum.

• Locked thread