Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
New skill: Grinding - You now grind at an increased rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
http://mangajoy.com/The-Gamer/33/1 Bad translation out.
So, plot.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Arkeus posted:

http://mangajoy.com/The-Gamer/33/1 Bad translation out.
So, plot.

That translation didn't seem as bad as people were making it out to be. It's not engrish or anything, just a clunky writing and a few grammar errors. I guess I have no way of knowing, but it didn't seem like I was losing any meaning. They seem like they just need a good editor.

Then again I've occasionally read these chapters raw with no idea what is being said, so that probably says something.

ANYWAY, cool chapter. I wonder if there's a reason these guys are walking around wearing silly fantasy gear when none of the other Abyss dudes we've seen so far do that. Maybe they're actually another manifestation of Jee-han's power?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

XboxPants posted:

That translation didn't seem as bad as people were making it out to be. It's not engrish or anything, just a clunky writing and a few grammar errors. I guess I have no way of knowing, but it didn't seem like I was losing any meaning. They seem like they just need a good editor.

Then again I've occasionally read these chapters raw with no idea what is being said, so that probably says something.

ANYWAY, cool chapter. I wonder if there's a reason these guys are walking around wearing silly fantasy gear when none of the other Abyss dudes we've seen so far do that. Maybe they're actually another manifestation of Jee-han's power?

You're forgetting witch chick and her bearzerker.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Well the only other abyss folks we've seen are that one friend and his family and the guy in the suit, both of whom seem like they'd prefer to avoid drawing unnecessary attention to themselves. Considering that weapon drop from the previous chapter, I'd imagine the friend's family has access to suits of armor and other magically enchanted clothing and whatnot, but it's just not something that's going to be worn around the clock. Whereas this pair are apparently "hunters" so yeah I'd imagine that being prepared for someone like Jee-han or whatever prey they find outweighs the use of plain clothes to disguise themselves.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Arkeus posted:

Bad translation out.

Looks like the Bad Translation is the only one we're getting for quite a while now.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Well he did imply that the exmembers of the group are going to reform under a new name and keep up Gamer, it's possible that could happen before too long.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
So some dude that everyone at BAP hated took over as admin and when they got upset at this he told them to go gently caress themselves and closed the group. Thats just great.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Chaos341 posted:

So some dude that everyone at BAP hated took over as admin and when they got upset at this he told them to go gently caress themselves and closed the group. Thats just great.

He hated everyone and just closed the group instead of leaving. scanlation drama :allears:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My favorite scanlation group drama things are when they get really mad at online readers for "stealing" their work, or at other scanlation groups for translating the same thing.

ITS OURS DON'T STEAL ONLY WE GET TO gently caress UP THE ORIGINAL ARTWORK WITH OUR WATERMARKS NOT YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The scanlation scene sounds like a really lovely place to be and with japanese editorials starting to send C&D at some groups (granted, only adult focused editorials for now) I wonder what will happen to it on the near future.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They'll just continue to do it anyway since most scanlators tend to stick to unlicensed stuff (why translate stuff that's already being translated/sold professionally, unless it's ludicrously popular to the point everyone wants it a day after the Japanese/Korean/Chinese release?), and it's not usually worth trying to sue a dozen people scattered all over the world in each group.

poo poo, the dude who does The Breaker (kinda in a myopic way, since there's no English release) complained openly in the opening/closing credits of it about scanlators posting his poo poo online, and the only response from the main group doing it was to whine about online readers.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Fabricated posted:

They'll just continue to do it anyway since most scanlators tend to stick to unlicensed stuff (why translate stuff that's already being translated/sold professionally, unless it's ludicrously popular to the point everyone wants it a day after the Japanese/Korean/Chinese release?), and it's not usually worth trying to sue a dozen people scattered all over the world in each group.

poo poo, the dude who does The Breaker (kinda in a myopic way, since there's no English release) complained openly in the opening/closing credits of it about scanlators posting his poo poo online, and the only response from the main group doing it was to whine about online readers.

Yeah, a lot of scanlators are big whiny babies. One of them closed his group because Mangafox posted their work.

Still, I'm baffled at how many hentai focused groups bailed with those C&D notices sent by an editorial named Wani. One would've thought that guys working on things like Naruto or One Piece would be breaking more laws than the guys translating smut.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Companies that license/distribute/produce adult material of any kind are about the most vicious protectors of their property even compared to the RIAA/MPAA.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Annoying that mangacow aren't picking it up since they're pretty good and really fast

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I love how the dude is all mad that no one wanted him in charge of the group or whatever and then he goes and proves to everyone exactly why he never should have been allowed to take control of that group.

I also love not refreshing tabs

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fabricated posted:

My favorite scanlation group drama things are when they get really mad at online readers for "stealing" their work, or at other scanlation groups for translating the same thing.

ITS OURS DON'T STEAL ONLY WE GET TO gently caress UP THE ORIGINAL ARTWORK WITH OUR WATERMARKS NOT YOU

A goon decided to translate the rest of Onani Master Kurosawa when the "official" group were too slow, and they sent a warning message "not to start a war". :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Back when Mahou-X hadn't released a chapter of Yankee-Kun & Megane-Chan for over a year, I started up a group "Yankee-Goon" and we picked up the scanlation work for a while. That really kicked Mahou-X in the butt! But instead of starting a war, we ended up sharing chapters between each other until we weren't able to keep it up anymore for various life reasons. Also, as a consequence, Mahou-X ended up having to step up their translation game in terms of quality and doing redrawn sound effects! The quality of the two groups ended up being very close to indistinguishable, so it's rather win-win!

This seems... very rare in the world of scanlations!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Well, the former BAP members are at least getting set up. They also got some people from helZ0ne, no idea what they used to do.

Edit: Apparently they straight up took over the former Helz0ne website, combining into a new team. That's neat :v:

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

lil baby anime posted:

I love how the dude is all mad that no one wanted him in charge of the group or whatever and then he goes and proves to everyone exactly why he never should have been allowed to take control of that group.

I also love not refreshing tabs

I love how that's HIS side of the story. "I took over because I didn't like how they were doing things. Then I realized I hated everyone so shut things down"

Usually when there's some argument inside a group both parties play the innocent victim and blame everything on the other guys. Here you don't need to look for the other side of the story, because his own explanation makes him sound like the bad guy.

KoB
May 1, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Back when Mahou-X hadn't released a chapter of Yankee-Kun & Megane-Chan for over a year, I started up a group "Yankee-Goon" and we picked up the scanlation work for a while. That really kicked Mahou-X in the butt! But instead of starting a war, we ended up sharing chapters between each other until we weren't able to keep it up anymore for various life reasons. Also, as a consequence, Mahou-X ended up having to step up their translation game in terms of quality and doing redrawn sound effects! The quality of the two groups ended up being very close to indistinguishable, so it's rather win-win!

This seems... very rare in the world of scanlations!

Mahou was definitely whiny about it at first though :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Even worse is when a scanlation group basically holds a series hostage. There was a group that did Tokyo ESP that refused to release the next volume until they got a certain amount of donations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

RatHat posted:

Even worse is when a scanlation group basically holds a series hostage. There was a group that did Tokyo ESP that refused to release the next volume until they got a certain amount of donations.

I think that's still going on with the group that was doing Baki: Son of Ogre, but maybe they actually released more since I last checked.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There is also the group who does big order, who had these sabotaged versions of their releases for the manga reader sites. As far as I know, those are still up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

RatHat posted:

A fair number of fansub groups used to do this; basically a case of "download it from our IRC channel and nowhere else!" Largely defunct now at least since everything gets mirrored everywhere so fast.

The only good fansub release drama was when gg intentionally released episodes that broke VLC.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nate RFB posted:

A fair number of fansub groups used to do this; basically a case of "download it from our IRC channel and nowhere else!" Largely defunct now at least since everything gets mirrored everywhere so fast.

The only good fansub release drama was when gg intentionally released episodes that broke VLC.

I liked it when [db] would sometimes release fake episodes of bleach or naruto on weeks when there wasn't an episode. They'd put notes at the end of the episodes to say there wouldn't be one next week even :mmmhmm:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I loved the good old [DB] troll subs. So much nerd rage, so tasty!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

34 is up

http://mangajoy.com/The-Gamer/34/1/

Yeah I kind of expected that actually, after re-reading the series earlier.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 25, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I haven't read 33 or 34 because I'm waiting for a translation by someone who knows both korean and english. :sigh:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The speed translations aren't that bad. Until there's a better option, no reason not to read it. v:shobon:v

Well I guess it's about time the uglier aspects of "your life is a MMORPG" reared their heads. They're not people, just NPCs. :unsmigghh:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
The translations aren't too bad from what I can tell, not having the whole thing on one page is annoying though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

The translations aren't too bad from what I can tell, not having the whole thing on one page is annoying though.

Yeah, after giving them a try they are not nearly as bad as I thought they would be, still nowhere near BAP's quality though.

So it turns out that the inherent "Gamer's Mind" passive has drawbacks, mainly stuff like changing your mentality so that contemplating committing murder probably has about as much emotional impact as contemplating what to have for lunch. Though this raises the question: Why does Jee-Han find the change in mentality disturbing when he has "Gamer's Mind"?

Anyway, either ol' Jee-Han is just irresistible to the ladies or he's irresistible to sadistic people, I'll bet on the latter. :unsmigghh:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, after giving them a try they are not nearly as bad as I thought they would be, still nowhere near BAP's quality though.

So it turns out that the inherent "Gamer's Mind" passive has drawbacks, mainly stuff like changing your mentality so that contemplating committing murder probably has about as much emotional impact as contemplating what to have for lunch. Though this raises the question: Why does Jee-Han find the change in mentality disturbing when he has "Gamer's Mind"?

Anyway, either ol' Jee-Han is just irresistible to the ladies or he's irresistible to sadistic people, I'll bet on the latter. :unsmigghh:

Well, it doesn't make him unemotional about everything, only about things relating to fighting/combat/killing. Being disturbed about not being disturbed about something is outside that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Turns out Jee-Han has hidden skill: Swag, level 99.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
What the gently caress is a "Noona"? I'd assumed it was some kind of honorific except now it's being used as a noun. :psyduck:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The Evil Thing posted:

What the gently caress is a "Noona"? I'd assumed it was some kind of honorific except now it's being used as a noun. :psyduck:

I'm no expert but afaik is the korean equivalent to the japanese 'nee-san' and therefore, it can be used as honorific and noun. In this case is used to be flirty.

Interesting developments on the story, things are getting serious for Jee-Han; just lets hope the comedy keeps being the focus. Manwhas tend to get really depressing when they aren't straight up comedies.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

The Evil Thing posted:

It's sometimes used as an honorific and sometimes as a noun, much like sensei in japanese. Korean honorifics all tend to be like that. In this case she is making it clear that she is older than him, but still in the age range that he should consider attractive, basically a combo of "look what a hottie I am" and "better show some respect, brat"

Noona is specifically what a younger male should address an older but not much older(i.e. senior citizen) female as. Younger female to older female = unni, Younger female to older male = oppa, Younger male to older male = hyung and for anyone younger than the speaker it's dongseng.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
OK, thanks. I guess I'm sufficiently old that when translations make me learn a new language I'm more annoyed than intrigued. :shobon:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

And you guys were worried earlier that Jee-Han wouldn't have his three-way anime date or whatever was the term :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Red haired girl doesn't seem to be very interested in him. In fact, she doesn't seem to be very relevant to the story at all. I guess we'll probably see why she hates sunglasses at some point, but it's a bit weird that she was introduced first yet doesn't do anything. I'm wondering if the author realized after the fact that he had no way to naturally include her in the life of the protagonist, so he made her transfer to his class, but even that didn't work.