Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Milky Moor posted:

There's a lot of things I adore about BG2. I like how it establishes a relationship between CHARNAME, Imoen, Jaheira, Minsc, Khalid and Dynaheir. However, this is also a bit of a flaw. Even with so many characters in BG2, I can't bring myself to break up the canon BG1 group simply because of the circumstances they find themselves in at the start of the game. It'd be pretty rough if, when reaching the surface, CHARNAME kicked them all out and went off by himself. Because of this, my party always tends to be CHARNAME, Minsc, Jaheira, Yoshimo, Aerie and Viconia. Why? Because the first two are old friends who have literally no one else, Yoshimo assists you with breaking out of the dungeon and is generally an honorable and pleasant individual (and the Geas subplot), Aerie is one of the first people you probably meet and, y'know, can't really stay in that circus her whole life (and Minsc takes her as his new witch) and Viconia obviously travelled with the group at some point given how Jaheira refers to her. Yoshimo, eventually, gets swapped out for Imoen.

This, but Haer'Dalis instead of Viconia because of his interactions with Aerie. Viconia can burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I thought maybe the countdown was going to be they would finally release a patch for BG2EE to fix major bugs like one of the most important features in the game not working. 6 months and no patch. Glad Android users can be the worse game of the two though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

cheesetriangles posted:

I thought maybe the countdown was going to be they would finally release a patch for BG2EE to fix major bugs like one of the most important features in the game not working.

What feature is that?

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

What feature is that?

Probably that you can only use your Slayer plot gained ability once.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
Does BG:EE multiplayer still crash almost instantly if you have more than two people in a session?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

cheesetriangles posted:

I thought maybe the countdown was going to be they would finally release a patch for BG2EE to fix major bugs like one of the most important features in the game not working. 6 months and no patch. Glad Android users can be the worse game of the two though.

I'm with you; they've been "working on a megapatch" for ages. I finished BG1EE just before that final patch came out (would have fixed a few broken quests) and I didn't start playing BGIIEE when I got it around Christmas because I was waiting for a patch. Here it is, mid bloody April, and no patch. Inexcusable.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm with you; they've been "working on a megapatch" for ages. I finished BG1EE just before that final patch came out (would have fixed a few broken quests) and I didn't start playing BGIIEE when I got it around Christmas because I was waiting for a patch. Here it is, mid bloody April, and no patch. Inexcusable.
I'd say that the game is playable, provided you don't care about using the Slayer. Only real problem I recall seeing was that the journal updates for the new follower quests were screwed up in a number of cases, but it was possible to complete them. (Also Keldorn's quest somehow retriggered after it was finished and he kept trying to initiate conversations without having anything to say, but I resolved that by visiting the government district.)

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

Now that they've released Android BGEE, hopefully BG2EE patch is next on their to-do list. I've got access to BG2EE beta, and know for a fact that many of the issues have actually been fixed months ago, but for whatever reason they haven't bothered releasing a public patch since November.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
People actually use the Slayer mode? I only ever used it in the Mindflayer area to open the doors.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's also the cheapest way to roll over Kangaxx. Imprisonment doesn't work on the Slayer.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I guess BG1EE came out for Android a couple of days ago and I'm thinking about getting it. Did anyone pick it up? How crazy buggy is it?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

It's also the cheapest way to roll over Kangaxx. Imprisonment doesn't work on the Slayer.

I guess there's that too. What else are you gonna use the protection from magic scrolls for if not that fight, though?

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
It's a bit sad that they fixed the Kangaxx pickpocket exploit in BG2EE. That was one of the most rewarding aspects of beating the guy for me.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Vigilance posted:

People actually use the Slayer mode? I only ever used it in the Mindflayer area to open the doors.
I didn't even bother with that; one of the rooms regularly spawns a new mind flayer so I just used a collar to make it open doors for me.

ubachung posted:

It's a bit sad that they fixed the Kangaxx pickpocket exploit in BG2EE. That was one of the most rewarding aspects of beating the guy for me.
You could just cheat in a second ring (its code is RING39).

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Somewhat related, can you still get multiple copies of the Ring of the Ram from Tolgerias in BG2EE? The time between the pickpocket and the kill is a lot greater though. You could even get a third copy if you opened the sphere with Valygar's body in a Bag of Holding, then gave him to Tolgerias in vanilla BG2.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
If there is still the bug where items get recharged when put into a bag of holding/item type equivalent then having multiple rings of the ram is a bit redundant.

Vigilance posted:

I guess there's that too. What else are you gonna use the protection from magic scrolls for if not that fight, though?

Spell Immunity: Divination when invisible for a general example. If you know spell lists and schools (eg the Unseeing Eye casts Horrid Wilting (Necromancy) which is painful) then it can be more specifically useful.

This is probably best for a solo run, but still not shabby.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Factor_VIII posted:

You could just cheat in a second ring (its code is RING39).

I could, but for some reason I've always preferred exploiting game mechanics to outright cheating. It's just not the same using console commands. :(

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Are you the guy who wrote a script and OCR that rerolled the character stats for hours and hours instead of just hitting ctrl-8 like a sane person?

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Dillbag posted:

Are you the guy who wrote a script and OCR that rerolled the character stats for hours and hours instead of just hitting ctrl-8 like a sane person?

Now I'm tempted to rig up a camera and a robot that can click the reroll button with the mouse

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

ubachung posted:

I could, but for some reason I've always preferred exploiting game mechanics to outright cheating. It's just not the same using console commands. :(
I wouldn't really call the ability to pickpocket a second copy of an item part of the game mechanics. I view it as simply as exploiting a bug.

Dillbag posted:

Personally I rather like that script. With ctrl-8, I'd might get too greedy with my stats. With that script you can normally get a high set of stats within minutes. No need to leave it running for hours.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

I wouldn't really call the ability to pickpocket a second copy of an item part of the game mechanics. I view it as simply as exploiting a bug.

Personally I rather like that script. With ctrl-8, I'd might get too greedy with my stats. With that script you can normally get a high set of stats within minutes. No need to leave it running for hours.

I just do runs with a certain point buy and SK in the stats.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Yeah, SK is a nice way of going about it. I like 90 points total for my characters - quite high, but doable.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
If anyone is interested, I finished the new version of :siren:MY MOD:siren:, which started out as a supplement to Unfinished Business.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

quote:

J. Restored Irenicus's Plane of Earth
The location everyone visited at least once and wondered what the hell was going on with it, finally back in the game. Contains three rudimentary quests, you get there by clicking on the floor in the plane of air.

:stare:
I might have to play through CI properly for the first time in years.

And there's yet another Arkanis Gath encounter on top of the one UB already restores? Wow.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Bioware really, really liked Arkanis for some reason.

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012
Just ditched Jaheira for Valygar. Though Jaheira stated getting some really useful spells I was kinda really interested in Valygar's quest + one less companion to wine all the time :words:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Deranged M posted:

Just ditched Jaheira for Valygar. Though Jaheira stated getting some really useful spells I was kinda really interested in Valygar's quest + one less companion to wine all the time :words:

Valygar doesn't really have a quest, all you need to enter the Planar Sphere is his body. Dead or alive.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Valygar doesn't really have a quest, all you need to enter the Planar Sphere is his body. Dead or alive.
Yes. Normally I just went and picked him up, had him open the door and then told him to go back to his cabin. Having him in the party does give you some extra dialog inside the sphere, but nothing vital.

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Yeah I figured that out, but he seemed like an interesting character to have around for a bit. And his golem as favorite enemy feat kinda turned out to be handy.

a medical mystery posted:

When using Yoshimo take advantage of his traps, being a Bounty Hunter they're very strong.

I can't figure out how to use his traps ? is it like a spell or a skill ?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The star icon at the end is traps/other stuff (like item abilities, character abilities)

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Are familiars the same in BG2:EE as they were in original BG2? I remember them balancing the familiars for BG1:EE, didn't know if this was a permanent re-balance or what.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Random note for mac users: GOG has added OSX compatibility for Torment (using a wineskin). I think this is the first time Torment is commercially available on mac.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Are familiars the same in BG2:EE as they were in original BG2? I remember them balancing the familiars for BG1:EE, didn't know if this was a permanent re-balance or what.

BG2EE familiars are what they were in vanilla BG2, with a few tweaks.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Deranged M posted:

Jaheira's whining is why I always use the tweak to shift her to Neutral Good. Her complaining, which is derived from her being labelled True Neutral, makes no loving sense. Every piece of ideology she spouts, top to bottom, is basically Neutral Good. It's even a valid alignment for her! :psyduck:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Captain Oblivious posted:

Jaheira's whining is why I always use the tweak to shift her to Neutral Good. Her complaining, which is derived from her being labelled True Neutral, makes no loving sense. Every piece of ideology she spouts, top to bottom, is basically Neutral Good. It's even a valid alignment for her! :psyduck:

Yeah. Jaheira is in no way True Neutral. She's the voice of moral reason for the group half the time!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's even a valid alignment for her! :psyduck:

Not in 2nd Edition it's not, and classic BG1 is a 2E game. Druids had to be True Neutral, period, in that edition. Same thing with rangers being required to be some flavor of Good.

3rd Edition loosened those alignment restrictions and BG2 partially followed suit when integrating some 3E rules, but declined to change Jaheira's alignment now that NG was allowed for druids.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Generally you'll still be holding them in your pack the whole game to get the bonus HP and prevent CON loss, but some have useful applications like the Fairy Dragon's invisibility.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They're also okay for luring out and baiting enemies to come get you. Innate magic resist makes mages not really a threat, melee shouldn't be either unless you blunder right into someone.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

a medical mystery posted:

Generally you'll still be holding them in your pack the whole game to get the bonus HP and prevent CON loss, but some have useful applications like the Fairy Dragon's invisibility.
My favorite familiar is the Ferret (Lawful Neutral). With its 70% pick pocket rate it can serve that role decently, freeing up your thief to boost other more useful skills (provided one is willing to quicksave before each attempt). And the fact its utility lies outside combat means you don't have to worry about it being killed while you use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Factor_VIII posted:

My favorite familiar is the Ferret (Lawful Neutral). With its 70% pick pocket rate it can serve that role decently, freeing up your thief to boost other more useful skills (provided one is willing to quicksave before each attempt). And the fact its utility lies outside combat means you don't have to worry about it being killed while you use it.

I played BG1EE last fall and had a CN Blade. I never gave a thought to him having a Familiar until I tried to have Edwin summon one and the game reminded me that only the main character can use that spell. That's what reminded me that "Hey, my main dude can cast any wizard spell in the game... eventually" and I had him call up a cat, who was a handy scout for parts of the early game. Now he's just adorable and stays in my bard's inventory.

I can see your point about the ferrett, though. It's hard to put points into pick lock when it's mostly optional and used sparingly. Bards are great for that, but if you don't have one then a ferrett could really feel a niche. Too bad they can't drink potions.