Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I don't know what webcam you are using, but turning off auto-gain is pretty essential for this to work. I'd do a google search for that setting on your webcam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Found the moving box with my logitech extreme 3d pro and flew most of Illinois in the default FSX P-15D. Was having fun with the tutorials until I got to that mountain landing one, that was.. interesting. Still pretty sure im going to go with a saitek yoke setup.

As far as addons, i'll probably be switching to P3D at some point very soon, what would be the first purchases to go for, I'm guessing Rex overdrive and ftx global? And also am i correct in assuming that they don't do any malarky where I have to purchase it once for p3d and fsx.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Get addons that are certified for P3D. The only thing I can't seem to get working properly is the iFly, but I guess it depends how much you value your money.

You don't really need to buy environment addons as LM are constantly improving it - with 2.2 last week they added ~beautiful clouds~. Try default first and see if you hate it.

FTX Global is probably worth it, but I'm a VFR man and allegedly it does strange things to your files.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Those who have been playing P3D 2: How is the stability compared to FSX? I love FSX, but very sick of the random game crashes (especially before landing after a long flight). Does P3D suffer from this or have they found how to fix it?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I've been looking to get back into IL2: 1946 after a long absence, what sort of graphics and sound mods are there to make it look/sound more modern? I haven't played it since before it was possible to mood the game.

I have it on steam btw

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Keeku posted:

Those who have been playing P3D 2: How is the stability compared to FSX? I love FSX, but very sick of the random game crashes (especially before landing after a long flight). Does P3D suffer from this or have they found how to fix it?

Totally fixed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Keeku posted:

Its not only more stable, but performs better, and is prettier with the same hardware. It's the way forward for FSx based simulation. I still don't think XPlane is ready for the prime time, sadly. :(

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Anyone know how to get rid of the DCS A-10 idle detent bug? Apparently since 1.2.7 came out some people have been seeing the throttles, especially the TM Warthog, need a couple shoves off then back on the idle detent for them to start working.

It's easy enough to deal with but I'd rather it just go when I want it to go.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
I must have this!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=dd2_1397359543

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

why would you build that thing just to fly in third person?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

ethanol posted:

why would you build that thing just to fly in third person?

My thoughts exactly. What a waste.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Das Butterbrot posted:

Yeah same. I'm still sad that DCS Mig21 looks to be cancelled :( It was looking so great!

I came across this today as I am getting back into DCS. It looked amazing, although I'd really love to fly a MiG-25 or MiG-31.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Leo Showers posted:

I came across this today as I am getting back into DCS. It looked amazing, although I'd really love to fly a MiG-25 or MiG-31.

Good news, it's not actually cancelled, just delayed by a couple of months or something.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

pcaviator.com is running 50% off megascenery packs until 4/21. Going to give the cheap hawaii one a try, supposedly they work fine in p3d.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Are there any full fledged civil simulators in the NW (or SW of Canada) that are available for a fee? Mrs. Slidebite wants to buy me a shot on one for a gift if it's available. I know you can go to England and do the Concorde sim, but I'd love to try something like a full movement CAE 737 or even ERJ sim but no idea where to look.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
http://www.redbirdflightsimulations.com/find-a-redbird/#map_top

One in Vancouver, one in Victoria, and as to be expected about a thousand in Seattle.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

slidebite posted:

Are there any full fledged civil simulators in the NW (or SW of Canada) that are available for a fee? Mrs. Slidebite wants to buy me a shot on one for a gift if it's available. I know you can go to England and do the Concorde sim, but I'd love to try something like a full movement CAE 737 or even ERJ sim but no idea where to look.

Honestly? Talk to Westjet. They *might* let you into one of their sims for a session, but understand it will be a) very expensive (likely well north of $1000), b) probably at a really odd time (like 3 AM on a Tuesday) and if they will in fact let you in, c) potentially a LONG lead time to your sim date...as in several months.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Anyone know of any Prepar3D v2.2 compatible planes that are free to download that laugh in the face of physics? I want a plane that can go into space and do 100000 knots. It should also look like a spaceship.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

drat, the DCS beta is destroying my FPS in the campaigns for some reason. I dont recall it having been nearly this bad before Combined Arms + 1.2.8

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

fuckpot posted:

Anyone know of any Prepar3D v2.2 compatible planes that are free to download that laugh in the face of physics? I want a plane that can go into space and do 100000 knots. It should also look like a spaceship.

There's some fun stuff here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MrChips posted:

Honestly? Talk to Westjet. They *might* let you into one of their sims for a session, but understand it will be a) very expensive (likely well north of $1000), b) probably at a really odd time (like 3 AM on a Tuesday) and if they will in fact let you in, c) potentially a LONG lead time to your sim date...as in several months.

I would be down for that, but to be honest I have no clue to even begin. We have a close friend that is a booking agent, but that's about as much of an in with Westjet as I have. Clue where to call other than some generic number and sounding like a moron?

madpanda posted:

pcaviator.com is running 50% off megascenery packs until 4/21. Going to give the cheap hawaii one a try, supposedly they work fine in p3d.
What's Megascenery DRM like? Do you get a key and get as many installs/uninstalls as you want?

Does anyone do photoscenery for Western Canada?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Few things before I buy P3D. Do the PMDG 737 and 777 work with it and how much better is the performance?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
How much less buggy and optimized is P3D compared to FSX? Because FSX is a mess.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

e.pilot posted:

How much less buggy and optimized is P3D compared to FSX? Because FSX is a mess.

It's night and day. You can still see the heritage in menus, structural stuff, etc, but the bugs have been pretty ruthlessly stomped out.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

It's night and day. You can still see the heritage in menus, structural stuff, etc, but the bugs have been pretty ruthlessly stomped out.

Good to know, maybe I'll finally pull the trigger on it to make sure don't have fun using it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
http://www.reddit.com/r/flightsim/comments/1rke9t/prepar3d_v2_and_pmdg/

:google:

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

slidebite posted:

I would be down for that, but to be honest I have no clue to even begin. We have a close friend that is a booking agent, but that's about as much of an in with Westjet as I have. Clue where to call other than some generic number and sounding like a moron?
What's Megascenery DRM like? Do you get a key and get as many installs/uninstalls as you want?

Does anyone do photoscenery for Western Canada?

I don't know about the other packages, just about to put in an order, but the $5 Hawaii version is literally just a zip file with an installer that I'm pretty sure is 1 step further than a self extracting zip file that throws all the scenery into a folder. No keys.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Daimo posted:

There's some fun stuff here.

Here also http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/94/fsx-misc/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

madpanda posted:

I don't know about the other packages, just about to put in an order, but the $5 Hawaii version is literally just a zip file with an installer that I'm pretty sure is 1 step further than a self extracting zip file that throws all the scenery into a folder. No keys.

Thanks. Is the $5 Hawaii pretty decent? Did you buy something else?

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007

fuckpot posted:

This was recorded on FSX and i dont know if its compatible with Prepar3D but you could try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n48aEBTN2m0

You can download it here, there's also a Cylon raider from battlestar galactica that is a lot of fun to fly.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

slidebite posted:

Thanks. Is the $5 Hawaii pretty decent? Did you buy something else?

The 2.50 with sale Hawaii one is really nice, just keep in mind that these packs turn autogen off so the only buildings you see are the ones placed there. Give it a try to see if you like it.

I also got Ultra high res chicago which I'll try out tonight and central california, along with some around the world in 80 trips mission pack cause it was :10bux:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
For the goons using facetracknoir, try Opentrack

http://ts3.cosaofficial.pl/opentrack/

The Accela mk4 filter is a big improvement over the mk2 version used in facetracknoir. You'll need to set up curves (they are at 0) to get it to track. Also, bind the "center" function to something and use it to reset the tracker when you first use it, otherwise the tracking will be totally off.
It's a bit more fiddly than facetracknoir, but I think it's worth it. I noticed a big improvement in jitters vs input lag, and I haven't even really tweaked the filter settings yet.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If anyone wants to fly around pilotsedge I think I am going to do a few flights this Sunday.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

slidebite posted:

Your best best would be a single private operator (TRTO/ATO) of such a simulator: airlines and franchises like CAE and FlightSafety usually have a policy against booking fun flights, because having normal people pay to be in a real cockpit full of expensive and fragile stuff may be a way to generate some extra money, but can also be a recipe for $megabucks worth of damage. Lord knows, we have enough so-called professionals in there breaking poo poo as it is...

There are millions of small companies offering teambuilding courses and things like that on homebuilt simulators which are not certified, which means that is no way to verify if their totally awesome full motion B737 flies and handles anything like the real thing or is in fact little more than FSX with some extra hardware. A proper, certified level C/D sim is built around a flight test data package from Boeing, Bombardier or whoever and is certified every year through computerized testing and a flyout by FAA/TC/EASA test pilots.

But by all means just try to get in touch with anyone who operates such machines, you might get lucky. With airlines, the sims are usually part of their flight operations department, and in these troubled economic times there are places which are offering any sims they may have for rent to outside customers. Just keep in mind that you're not just paying for the sim, the company will also need to have someone in there with you to operate it for you: this can be an instructor but can also be a technician or engineer.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I've got a question for anyone who plays Flaming Cliffs 3 and flies the Russian planes, specifically the MiG-29.

After playing online and offline for a bit, I'm drawing the conclusion that the Russian IR missiles are much better(and reliable) compared to the radar-guided ones. I've been playing against friends who are flying F-15C's and I usually use the RWR to vector on to their approx position, then lock on via IR and launch missiles and likely get a kill. If I use radar then I always seem to get lit up and depending if they took AIM-120B's or C's I might be able to get an R-27 or I might not, it becomes much more of a crapshoot. Is this consistent with anyone else's experience?

Furthermore, I'm only getting shot down by AIM-9 Sidewinders, I'm finding it hard to judge and due to a lack of launch warning I usually drop 3 or so flares followed a hard turn when I am in a knife fight (to conserve flares). Anecdotally speaking, I'm successfuly evading about 50% of the time, watching the replay I'm seeing that even when dropping a cluster of flares and turning the AIM-9 will continue to intercept my aircraft, as opposed to taking the flares. Does anyone have any tips/tricks?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So me, Burno and some other regular War Thunder goons have recently been playing DCS all night every night. There are a lot of missions for pairs and poo poo, but there are also many more with more plane slots and need for CAP, CAS and SEAD at the same time.

How do we hookup, do you guys have some regular nights you fly DCS or should I just announce something and scramble people together?

For example, TOTAL WAR 3.0 mission looks cool and long, but it NEEDS A10Cs, Su25s for SEAD and some form of CAP. Ukrainian SUs, Migs and American F15s are available, so there would be everything for everyone. I think even A10A.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 21, 2014

simble
May 11, 2004

IRC is your best bet. I'm sure you can get some of us to tag along. #flightsim on synirc. Also you could check the mumble server listed in the OP.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

So me, Burno and some other regular War Thunder goons have recently been playing DCS all night every night. There are a lot of missions for pairs and poo poo, but there are also many more with more plane slots and need for CAP, CAS and SEAD at the same time.

How do we hookup, do you guys have some regular nights you fly DCS or should I just announce something and scramble people together?

Switching from a game with fake Russian superiority to real Russian superiority I see.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Cliffs of Dover is on sale for pretty cheap on green man gaming. I bought it and it seems okay with the team fusion patches. well I've only hosed around in free flight mode with a spitfire so far so the combat might be loving terrible but for a couple of quid it's worth the risk I guess. graphics are pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Vahakyla posted:

For example, TOTAL WAR 3.0 mission looks cool and long, but it NEEDS A10Cs, Su25s for SEAD and some form of CAP. Ukrainian SUs, Migs and American F15s are available, so there would be everything for everyone. I think even A10A.

I would SO be up for this if you guys can get it organized. Maybe make a steam group and do announcements?