Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

My understanding is that some places use the refusal to take a sobriety test of any type as an admittance of guilt. If you were sober you wouldn't refuse, now would you?

The reverse alphabet thing pisses me off to no end, because it could simply mean you have poo poo for working memory, have dyslexia and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, I was going to post something similar earlier. If I got pulled and the cop suspected me of DUI/DWI and asked to do a field test, I'd ask to park the car and lock it so I could hitch a ride to the station for a blood test immediately.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ToxicSlurpee posted:

My understanding is that some places use the refusal to take a sobriety test of any type as an admittance of guilt. If you were sober you wouldn't refuse, now would you?

No, don't refuse, you're not guilty and have nothing to hide... but you've got to consult with your lawyer first because you aren't sure you fully understand the legal implications of the test. Once you're in contact with your lawyer you don't need to make any more decisions.

I don't have any hard figures, but my guess is that a good chunk of people would fail some of the sobriety tests at their best, good luck passing one while nervous, scared and pumped full of adrenaline.

Edit:
I suggest looking up a local lawyer because they'll have the most appropriate advice for your state. There's likely to be a few that have free advice on handling a DUI stop, it'll basically be a set of instructions to get you in contact with a lawyer before you say or do something that'll make you impossible to defend in court.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This is illegal, but they might try it anyway.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I think it is illegal in my state to refuse a sobriety test.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Solkanar512 posted:

The reverse alphabet thing pisses me off to no end, because it could simply mean you have poo poo for working memory, have dyslexia and so on.

Or, as Bill Hicks said, you ever learned the alphabet song. I don't think most people could recite the alphabet backwards under the best circumstances. They would have to play part of the song in their head, work out what that part is backwards and move on to the next.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 21, 2014

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Republicans posted:

Or, as Bill Hicks said, you ever learned the alphabet song. I don't think most people could recite the alphabet backwards under the best circumstances.

It's a trick question. The goal is to get you to admit that you can't do it even when you are sober, and basically admit guilt.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

It's a trick question. The goal is to get you to admit that you can't do it even when you are sober, and basically admit guilt.

If that's true that's actually pretty funny and I approve of its use in that capacity.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Almost all cable news is worthless, but CNN is ahead of even Fox News in the race to the bottom.
CNN is proof that a news organization can be utterly worthless and terrible without any particular political bias.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

After they arrest you and you've been at the station for an hour or two, they might ask you if you feel more sober/less intoxicated than before. Gotcha!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Miltank posted:

I think it is illegal in my state to refuse a sobriety test.

I was always taught that Wisconsin has "assumed consent". If you are driving, you have consented to a sobriety test and refusing to take a test is the same as a DUI.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Zeroisanumber posted:

Almost all cable news is worthless, but CNN is ahead of even Fox News in the race to the bottom.

I still think MSNBC is still mostly ok. If at least for getting the basics of a situation put together.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah, in Colorado it's a condition of having a license. You can refuse the test and you might avoid a DUI, but you forfeit your driver's license. First refusal is one year suspended, second is two, third or more is three.

I was just a juror on a DUI case where the guy did that. He flat out refused all testing. We couldn't convict him for the DUI but now he can't legally drive for a while.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ratoslov posted:

Totally agreed. Driving while intoxicated is a danger to everybody around you.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Going to the movies stoned used to be my favorite thing but I'm so heavy these days...

Can I bowl up like really hard in the parking lot before I go in to see X-Men, The Hobbit or even attend a Rush concert? Meaning: I'm parked and everything and guaranteed to be on foot for at least 2 hours. Like Intel&Sebastian said, by the time the movie comes on (or the band goes on stage even), your buzz is loving shot.

Also, and not for nothing, but I'd much rather be in a car with a stoned driver than some rear end in a top hat texting everyone all over the loving place.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I dunno. I keep hearing things about how there's some plane missing somewhere. Oh. you meant the bottom of the ocean.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 22, 2014

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I had heard somewhere that you should deny being intoxicated, agree to the breath test (because refusing does lose your license at least here), and go to the station, denying the entire time that you were intoxicated, then demand a blood test because the breath test must have been calibrated incorrectly. And hope that your BAC has dropped enough in the intervening time. That could be total bullshit though, and even if true would only be worth the risk if you were only slightly over.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

BiggerBoat posted:

Can I bowl up like really hard in the parking lot before I go in to see X-Men, The Hobbit or even attend a Rush concert? Meaning: I'm parked and everything and guaranteed to be on foot for at least 2 hours. Like Intel&Sebastian said, by the time the movie comes on (or the band goes on stage even), your buzz is loving shot.

That's pretty much exactly what I was talking about and I don't know why anyone would have a problem with that at all.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
There's an attorney in Houston (or at least was) who all the other attorneys use and his entire specialty is getting people off of DUIs. Like that is 100% of his caseload and apparently he's very good. I asked him once what basic advice he gives to clients who get pulled over when they think they're intoxicated. He said, "Do absolutely nothing. Be courteous and friendly, but don't answer any questions, don't blow, don't take tests - nothing. Then call me." It sounds like what any criminal attorney would say, probably, so it kinda makes sense.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Pharmaskittle posted:

I had heard somewhere that you should deny being intoxicated, agree to the breath test (because refusing does lose your license at least here), and go to the station, denying the entire time that you were intoxicated, then demand a blood test because the breath test must have been calibrated incorrectly. And hope that your BAC has dropped enough in the intervening time. That could be total bullshit though, and even if true would only be worth the risk if you were only slightly over.

It depends on your state. Anything that you read from someone out of state could really screw you over.
Here's the back of a business card for a lawyer that helped a family member of mine:

Edit:
Oh my god, sorry for posting a gigantic image. I did it from my phone and it looked good to me :(

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 22, 2014

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It depends on your state. Anything that you read from someone out of state could really screw you over.
Here's the back of a business card for a lawyer that helped a family member of mine:

Yeah. This was someone in state, but I have to imagine that clamming up and getting a lawyer is the smartest thing to do with cops in any situation.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

**don't do any of this if you are a minority or poor, this will get you shot

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Good to see "Does your dad know you're gay?" is the standard by which people are being arrested.

And to contribute to the derail, I've gotten pulled over twice by cops who thought I was drunk because it was past midnight and I was exhausted, and never when I actually was drunk driving back in my very stupid college days. Blind luck, or maybe they're just not using the best criteria.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

beatlegs posted:

CNN: Can the Klan Rebrand? (that was the orignal headline before they edited it)

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/19/us/jewish-center-shootings-kkk-rebranding/

The KKK have been trying to do the rebranding thing for awhile under Thomas Robb.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

It's the ages-old American tradition of deliberately setting somebody up to fail then punishing them for it. There's a poo poo load of this in the justice system. Some states do their damnedest to make sure that people released from jail will be going back and keeping their probation rules is impossible. This is the age of no-knock warrants and "gee, I don't know, I thought I smelled pot or something" being enough reason to kick down a door and pull out some guns.

Oh you fell over and panicked when an angry man in a uniform with a gun suddenly smashed your door in, pulled a gun on you, and yelled at you to get down when you were watching TV and eating dinner? Well if you weren't guilty of something you wouldn't have freaked out and would have immediately fell to your knees and thanked the officer for his faithful service. The only question is what you are guilty of. Off to the station with you, if we can't find something to charge you with we'll just make it up.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm listening to Mark Levin on the way home and he spouts off and says, paraphrasing here: Conservatives do not have an ideology, conservatives have an understanding of history and know what works and what doesn't and conservative beliefs are based on these understandings but, conservatives absolutely do not have an ideology, only liberals have an ideology, the difference being conservatives are right because, history. WTF, I don't even know what to expect from this guy anymore.

Also, he cut off two callers in a row who were cheerleading him but rambling on in directions that were clearly leading to some form of "start the revolution now". It amazes me that every time he takes a sycophant cheerleading call it's some person that has trouble expressing a coherent thought in complete sentences and Levin usually cuts them off mid sentence at some point. It must be depressing to know that many of your most ardent listeners are complete morons.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Pharmaskittle posted:

Don't do this, it's better to simply refuse if you want to go that route. The blood tests are estimated backwards as if you had alcohol in your system. So unless you can hit 0.00 during that car ride, they will say you were over the legal limit because of math that largely ignores science (doesn't take weight, metabolism etc into account, it's a one size fits all estimate that is admissable in court).

Edit: source is that this is what happened to my brother on his dui.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's the ages-old American tradition of deliberately setting somebody up to fail then punishing them for it.

Usually the backwards alphabet is combined with standing on one leg. They don't give a poo poo if you can do the alphabet backwards, they're looking to see if you can do two things at once without totally screwing up. Just like walking a straight line while touching your nose. Generally people that are drunk use a lot of their focus on one task and forget about the other one.

Also, if you even feel a little buzzed, don't drive.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bait and Swatch posted:

Don't do this, it's better to simply refuse if you want to go that route. The blood tests are estimated backwards as if you had alcohol in your system. So unless you can hit 0.00 during that car ride, they will say you were over the legal limit because of math that largely ignores science (doesn't take weight, metabolism etc into account, it's a one size fits all estimate that is admissable in court).

There are also less safe DUIs in some jurisdictions, where you may be under the limit but any amount of alcohol in your system makes you a less safe driver. When paired with a moving violation (oh yeah he crossed the line, shame my camera was out but trust me he did it) they'll get you one way or another.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I am not a lawyer, this is based on what a lawyer told me.

One thing that I thought was so crazy that I'd expect it to be in a sovereign citizen video is the rules on what a police officer can mention in testimony.

If you request a lawyer, the officer isn't allowed to mention that in his testimony because it is seen as trying to bias the jury. He also can't testify about tests or questions that he asks after you request a lawyer until you actually talk to the lawyer.

So if you do it right, the officer's testimony will be "I saw the car swerve across two lanes. I pulled him over, his eyes were bloodshot, I smelled alcohol, I arrested him for DUI."

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Does DUI go to jury trial? I thought that it didn't.
People are interested not because this is the law thread, but because pretty much everyone believes different things about DUI. It seems to be left intentionally vague.

I mean I ride a bicycle to go out, because when I go out I get smashed. My one and only ticket was, however for crashing a bicycle while too drunk to stand. Public intoxication - dismissed! Privileged class of bike riders indeed.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 22, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

agarjogger posted:

Does DUI go to jury trial? I thought that it didn't.
People are interested not because this is the law thread, but because pretty much everyone believes different things about DUI. It seems to be left intentionally vague.

It's heavily subject to the officer's actions as well as the jurisdiction you're in. Some places aggressively farm DUIs for cash, where others use them just to punish nonfunctional and dangerous alcohol abusers. In suburban Atlanta they'll let illegal immigrants rack up multiple DUIs before deportation because it's so lucrative.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
loving christ. Way to go further beyond the pale than anything I've seen in dittohead-type media, CNN.

CNN's article here: http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/19/us/jewish-center-shootings-kkk-rebranding/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bksYFKqZ7mM

I'm really not sure who's more evil - CNN, the klan, or marketers.

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q4txN1ut20

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 22, 2014

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!

Bait and Swatch posted:

Edit: source is that this is what happened to my brother on his dui.

The lovely thing is they could just as easily take a second blood test at a different time to determine a rate which would at least give it some sort of scientific credibility that would be specific to the person, but god knows we can't have our Men In Uniform using something as effete as chemistry to apply the law fairly.

It's not like they'd have to get 20 measurements and calculate a second order rate constant or anything, a simple two point calculation would be a step in the right direction.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

There's an attorney in Houston (or at least was) who all the other attorneys use and his entire specialty is getting people off of DUIs. Like that is 100% of his caseload and apparently he's very good. I asked him once what basic advice he gives to clients who get pulled over when they think they're intoxicated. He said, "Do absolutely nothing. Be courteous and friendly, but don't answer any questions, don't blow, don't take tests - nothing. Then call me." It sounds like what any criminal attorney would say, probably, so it kinda makes sense.

I will try to take a picture next time I pass it, but on Washington where there are tons of bars now there's a giant billboard near Shepherd/TC Jester that has like "713-DONT-BLOW" and the name of the attorney on it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Usually the backwards alphabet is combined with standing on one leg. They don't give a poo poo if you can do the alphabet backwards, they're looking to see if you can do two things at once without totally screwing up. Just like walking a straight line while touching your nose. Generally people that are drunk use a lot of their focus on one task and forget about the other one.

Also, if you even feel a little buzzed, don't drive.

Seriously what's with this vibe of 'fuckin pigs man I was only a little drunk driving'?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A nonzero number of DUI arrests are bullshit arrests.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Beck is full on crazy today. Talking about the Soviets releasing an EMP on both coasts and how they could parcel us out with china and North Korea.

Then he said to win in an EMP scenario, you have to take the pharmacy before anyone else.

If there was any story behind this discussion, I certainly didn't hear it. He just seemed to be spouting crazy bullshit to wind people up and hock his buddy's book.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 22, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Americans' DUI attitudes are really loving bizarre. It's no big deal if you get away with it, or bullshit if you're caught, but put a few teenagers in wheelchairs for life or kill a family and suddenly you're the bad guy.

It's the same crime, it just comes down to whether or not everyone else lucked out.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
My only experience with a DUI pullover was shady as gently caress. Long story short the cops couldn't pop our driver on a BA, said it must be broke, and carted them off for a test where they tried to cite them for having some tiny amount of a prescription pain killer in their system, and they had the prescription for it in the car.

Edit: If it's not clear, no one was drinking in this scenario.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 22, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

moths posted:

Americans' DUI attitudes are really loving bizarre. It's no big deal if you get away with it, or bullshit if you're caught, but put a few teenagers in wheelchairs for life or kill a family and suddenly you're the bad guy.

It's the same crime, it just comes down to whether or not everyone else lucked out.

Nobody is saying this, but OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Jesus. Can you enlarge that image a little?