Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mushika posted:

What's this "winter" thing? Is that when the temperature dips below 60°F and the mosquitoes aren't quite as bad?

To be honest, I'm damned glad we have a year-round riding season. I'd be screwed otherwise, not having a car.

Mos...qui...toes? I've heard of them.

Edit: gently caress, I hate starting a new page. Content: I really really love feeling the cool air start flowing again after I've stopped in a store to pick up some stuff. I went to Fry's the other day to grab some capacitors and was roasting in my riding pants, but once I hit I-680 everything was beautiful.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The first bike day of a year is always the best. I feel sorry for those of you who ride year round, you're missing out. :v:

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I dunno about that, it's pretty awesome to be able to ride whenever you want no matter what the weather or season is :).

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Yeah, we just feel smug year round while reading your "can't ride because it's snowing" posts. Makes up for it I think.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Man, I love sneaky lunch time rides! It's surprisingly warm here, a whole 8C, and dry for the first time in weeks so I've just been over my favourite little loop, it was awesome.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Finally had a sunny day and time with a mate for a couple of hours out. In the weeks that the Bandit has sat unloved, I'd almost forgotten that I love:

Accelerating
Corners
Changing Gear
Overtaking
Filtering

I'd also forgotten just how nice riding to nowhere was. It's been months and months since I used it for pure pleasure.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Good food! That counts as riding, right?

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Free stuff for having an awesome bike (because college kids apparently have giant motorcycle boners)

Corners.

Loops.

Being half-deaf after a long highway ride.

When it gets cold and I can put my full-face skull mask on and scare the hell out of people.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ArbitraryTA posted:

Being half-deaf after a long highway ride.

Wear earplugs. Being half deaf for the rest of your life ain't something you're going to love the poo poo out of.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Safety Dance posted:

Wear earplugs. Being half deaf for the rest of your life ain't something you're going to love the poo poo out of.

Reemphasizing this

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You might have to speak up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

WHAT?!

Safety Dance posted:

This. So much this.

I already have a bit of tinnitus, some standard 4kHz hearing loss and a bit high-frequency hearing loss too, especially on my left ear. And I'm not even 30 yet.

Wear those drat earplugs.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

WHAT?!

This. So much this.

I already have a bit of tinnitus, some standard 4kHz hearing loss and a bit high-frequency hearing loss too, especially on my left ear. And I'm not even 30 yet.

Wear those drat earplugs.

I am fifty-one, and can verify that it doesn't get any better. My tinnitus is now so "loud" that sometimes, it keeps me awake at night. Wear your earplugs youngun's!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I wear Hearos regularly while riding and have actually started wearing earplugs in my car (it's pretty loud). Earplugs are amazing and you would be surprised how much better your life is if you wear them even when you think you don't need them.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

ArbitraryTA posted:

When it gets cold and I can put my full-face skull mask on and scare the hell out of people.

You should be riding with a full face helmet fool!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Loops?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

O'riginal posted:

I am fifty-one, and can verify that it doesn't get any better. My tinnitus is now so "loud" that sometimes, it keeps me awake at night. Wear your earplugs youngun's!

Harpin' on this a bit more but I'm dealin with a dad unlike this who says 'it's only bothering me' as I have to yell for him to hear me.

I wear plugs every time I go above 35.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
If your car is so loud you need to wear earplugs while driving it, you may be a bit of a bastard for driving it on public roads...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Here4DaGangBang posted:

If your car is so loud you need to wear earplugs while driving it, you may be a bit of a bastard for driving it on public roads...

Its probably just the shakin' rattlin' and Rollin' of old Volvo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nsaP posted:

Harpin' on this a bit more but I'm dealin with a dad unlike this who says 'it's only bothering me' as I have to yell for him to hear me.

Watching TV with my dad is usually a pretty drat loud affair, and when he listens to music on his computer, you can hear it pretty loudly through the entire house. He also turns the treble way up on anything he listens to, since he has basically no high-frequency hearing left at all.

He played drums back in the 70s/80s and started another band a couple of years ago. They're not that bad with the volume level in their practice room, but it's still pretty loud and none of them use earplugs.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

Its probably just the shakin' rattlin' and Rollin' of old Volvo.

Yeah, my car is only loud from the inside. There's no insulation around the transmission and firewall so it's CCC (constant cacophonous cabin) syndrome.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I love how just riding the bike somewhere, especially at night, just makes any anxiety just fall to the wayside and fills you with a sense of clarity.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Yeah, my car is only loud from the inside. There's no insulation around the transmission and firewall so it's CCC (constant cacophonous cabin) syndrome.

My car's driver-side window has lost the vertical padding around the glass... so it rattles like crazy pretty much all the time. CCC syndrome.

I actually love the poo poo out of riding with earplugs in. Once I finally get the fuckers placed right, I stand there for a few seconds feeling them expand and then suddenly everything goes quiet. I put my plugs back in at a busy gas station one day and was blown away how the super loud ticking diesel suddenly disappeared. I also find that I'm more relaxed when I ride with earplugs in, because without the constant rushing wind noise it doesn't feel like I'm going pants-shittingly fast (I ride a Triumph (:dong:) Bonneville, it doesn't actually go pants-shittingly fast)

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I usually wear plugs all the time, one time I forgot and I thought like 6 things on my bike were broken cause of all the rattling and violent sound.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I once rode my bike down to test-ride an electric scooter for a couple of hours, and when I got back on my own vehicle I thought the engine had come loose in its mounts or something. So much rattling and vibration.

Also, riding a ~80cc equivalent electric scooter until the battery's almost dead and creeping the last mile at a walking pace will do wonders for making your 40-year-old 350 feel like a rocket sled.

Wish I could afford something with the power of my 350 and the smooth silence of electric. Warp speed!

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

poo poo I'm about to love the gently caress out of while riding:

Filtering!

Honestly surprised to see the trial in the capital actually resulted in filtering being legalised in this state. Not that it's gonna impact me much since there's bugger all traffic on my usual commute.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Can't wait for that to filter to the other states. C'mon QLD!

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011
W(ait)A(while) :(

The real congestion we get here is north/south out of the city center, but it stretches a long loving way. As it is, it seems that filtering through bumper-to-bumper traffic gets a blind eye, so long as the traffic is basically not moving. Either that or the fact that there is literally no way for a cop to follow a filtering biker.

I'm fortunate enough to live inland-east of the city so I avoid the worst of the congestion. Suburban backroads erryday :clint:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

My girlfriend's place is getting remodeled, and her (~~loaded~~) parents are putting her up at the ritziest 5star hotel/spa in the area the entire time. It actually used to be a Ritz before someone else bought it. All fine and good, except it's valet-parking only which is like $20/night for visitors. I am not amongst the wealthy so I was a bit concerned about how I fit in. There's no overnight street parking anywhere near, and the property is small with limited lot space.

I went over for the first time last night and apprehensively went to talk to the valets, expecting to have to argue against being charged for the privilege of self-parking the bike.

The guy told me to park free by the front door next to the valet counter anytime I wanted, and we chatted about the 690 for a bit. I had to wedge in behind a DB9, a AMG CLK and a Bentley :dance:

Biek supremacy.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I've been riding now for 6 weeks.

1. The smells
2. The wave
3. Man, you can really see everything.
4. The conversations I would probably never have had except that I was on a bike/wearing the gear. I stopped for gas today, and the guy said, "Looks like the rest of the day should be good for a ride! No more rain." We joked about being idiots if you hate the rain and live in Oregon, and then he told me to have a safe ride.
Did he talk to anyone else while they were gassing up? Nope.
5. Cornering. Christ it was so scary at first, now it's just plain exhilirating.

I cleaned and lubed my chain today. Since I got my bike in February, I've put on 1100 miles.

Oh, and the bike is paying for itself. The parking lot at my building for work costs $210 a month for cars. It's $40 a month for motorcycles.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

M42 posted:

I usually wear plugs all the time, one time I forgot and I thought like 6 things on my bike were broken cause of all the rattling and violent sound.

LOL, I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that. Every time I'm in a parking garage I think to myself "Oh god, the valve-train is definitely shot and IS THAT loving PISTON SLAP?!"

It turns out I'm just super paranoid and everything is fine.

Loving the poo poo out of just staying in first and second around town these days. My new exhaust is finally breaking/broken in and it's sounding less like a vengeful god and more like a motorcycle again. loving great sound.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Rediscovering what real acceleration feels like on the first spring ride is :krad:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PadreScout posted:

Loving the poo poo out of just staying in first and second around town these days. My new exhaust is finally breaking/broken in and it's sounding less like a vengeful god and more like a motorcycle again. loving great sound.

70 mph in second gear? DON'T MIND IF I DO

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

My girlfriend's place is getting remodeled, and her (~~loaded~~) parents are putting her up at the ritziest 5star hotel/spa in the area the entire time. It actually used to be a Ritz before someone else bought it. All fine and good, except it's valet-parking only which is like $20/night for visitors. I am not amongst the wealthy so I was a bit concerned about how I fit in. There's no overnight street parking anywhere near, and the property is small with limited lot space.

I went over for the first time last night and apprehensively went to talk to the valets, expecting to have to argue against being charged for the privilege of self-parking the bike.

The guy told me to park free by the front door next to the valet counter anytime I wanted, and we chatted about the 690 for a bit. I had to wedge in behind a DB9, a AMG CLK and a Bentley :dance:

Biek supremacy.

I went to an industry conference at a fancy hotel and got to do the same thing. Left the bike right next to the valet booth and my gear with the front desk.

Also, for some reason, I get a kick out of riding in cold and/or inclement weather, especially when it's windy. I get this "alone astronaut in the wilderness" type feeling even though I'm just commuting in suburban rush hour.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 7, 2014

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

MoraleHazard posted:

Also, for some reason, I get a kick out of riding in cold and/or inclement weather, especially when it's windy. I get this "alone astronaut in the wilderness" type feeling even though I'm just commuting in suburban rush hour.
Hah, I'm like this too. I was telling a friend the other day, it's like being Samus exploring a hostile alien planet.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My god wheelies are easy on a 1200cc twin.

It's funny: the only bike I've never wheelied was a supermoto.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

My god wheelies are easy on a 1200cc twin.

Stage 1: Infection

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

First time in a while,

Redlining in 1st gear and still managing to break every legal speedlimit in your state/province.

Redlining in second gear and :getin: and still have 4 gears to go.

You never get sick of that poo poo I swear.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
The other part about riding in cold weather is that you get to imagine that you're passing at least one fair-weather rider in a car that secretly wishes they could be out, too.

I really do love when you're out early in the year, while it's still on the cold side, and you see another crazy rider. Even if neither of you can move your frozen arms to wave, there's an automatic sense of camaraderie of seeing another person handling the same experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yousomuscle
Sep 13, 2012
-Being a neon green eyesore
-THE NOISE
-Lane splitting
-Other Motorcyclists
-Crushing my balls on every pothole

• Locked thread