Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I was planning on trying an iTunes rental so I'll give that a go tonight perhaps.

As long as it is an issue on Netflix's end I'm not too concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I just noticed that my atv2 was still on the 5.2.1 version and had to use a tethered boot, and that 5.3 would use an untethered one. So I upgraded, hooray! Anything I need to re-install besides XBMC?

I also put these lines into /etc/hosts to hopefully not be bothered by updates:
echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net" >> /etc/hosts

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you used firecore it should turn off updates for you.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
FYI for you guys having trouble with 5.1: apparently the last Apple TV update broke something to do with Dolby (possibly only in the 3rd party apps?). I was so annoyed by 5.1 not making it to my receiver (a Denon E300, funnily enough) that I called Netflix to ask why it wasn't working - 5.1 support for the Apple TV is advertised on their site, after all. The Netflix rep that I got said it was a known problem and that they're working on a fix for it. The rep didn't know at specifics, or if the fix would be Netflix or Apples.

After the call I searched around for recent posts about the ATV and Netflix 5.1 issues and I found a handful of threads with people posting the same problems after the recent update - and even a few others that heard from Apple or Netflix that a fix is in progress.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

FYI for you guys having trouble with 5.1: apparently the last Apple TV update broke something to do with Dolby (possibly only in the 3rd party apps?). I was so annoyed by 5.1 not making it to my receiver (a Denon E300, funnily enough) that I called Netflix to ask why it wasn't working - 5.1 support for the Apple TV is advertised on their site, after all. The Netflix rep that I got said it was a known problem and that they're working on a fix for it. The rep didn't know at specifics, or if the fix would be Netflix or Apples.

After the call I searched around for recent posts about the ATV and Netflix 5.1 issues and I found a handful of threads with people posting the same problems after the recent update - and even a few others that heard from Apple or Netflix that a fix is in progress.

5.1 works on Air video and Plex. I have been using them and no issues. Cant wait for Netflix to be fixed.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I can't wait for Apple to get off their high horse and get an app store going for the ATV. I'm so sick of having half-implemented apps.

Then again, wishing Apple would get off their high horse is like wishing for the sky to be made of cheese.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there anything on Netflix that works as a good 5.1 sound test? Like a specific scene in a movie that works really well? I'd like to check my setup.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Thwomp posted:

Honestly, I can't wait for Apple to get off their high horse and get an app store going for the ATV. I'm so sick of having half-implemented apps.

Then again, wishing Apple would get off their high horse is like wishing for the sky to be made of cheese.

An ATV app store would CHANGE EVERYTHING, AGAIN™

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Minidust posted:

Is there anything on Netflix that works as a good 5.1 sound test? Like a specific scene in a movie that works really well? I'd like to check my setup.

As talked about before, I don't even think it works currently. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

So I tried a rented iTunes Movie and can confirm Dolby Digital works fine. Still no go on Netflix.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

So I tried a rented iTunes Movie and can confirm Dolby Digital works fine. Still no go on Netflix.

Hopefully they fix it soon.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone with an ATV2 running XBMC have a problem with XBMC crashing when I airplay into it? At the moment I have to keep quitting the app just to send something to it briefly and it's a bit annoying.

I also have a few weird things like the podcast app not working a lot, maybe it's a problem with my OS install and it needs a factory reset and fresh jb.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does anyone with an ATV2 running XBMC have a problem with XBMC crashing when I airplay into it? At the moment I have to keep quitting the app just to send something to it briefly and it's a bit annoying.

I also have a few weird things like the podcast app not working a lot, maybe it's a problem with my OS install and it needs a factory reset and fresh jb.

Just make sure you don't end up with a new firmware or you're not going to be doing any jailbreaking.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, I never got AirPlay to not crash XBMC while it was running. It's not just you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah good to know.

Bucket - I think people are still able to roll them back, unless they've stopped signing? I don't really keep up to date with all that tbh.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you guys are interested in using XBMC for your jailbroken ATV2 it's worth taking a look at the Amazon Fire TV--I got $200 shipped on eBay for my jailbroken ATV and XBMC on the Fire plays more formats more fluidly. I can even get an ATV3 with the extra $100, but obviously it wouldn't be jailbroken and then I would have 2 devices. Just something to think about.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hed posted:

If you guys are interested in using XBMC for your jailbroken ATV2 it's worth taking a look at the Amazon Fire TV--I got $200 shipped on eBay for my jailbroken ATV and XBMC on the Fire plays more formats more fluidly. I can even get an ATV3 with the extra $100, but obviously it wouldn't be jailbroken and then I would have 2 devices. Just something to think about.

Through streaming or a hooked up HDD? I was actually curious about how the Fire works for that kind of thing, might pick one up.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Through streaming or a hooked up HDD? I was actually curious about how the Fire works for that kind of thing, might pick one up.
I'm using my Fire TV to stream from my local NAS and it works great. I use it through ethernet, but I did give the wifi a shot and it's able to get much better throughput than the ATV2's wifi. It's just a much better box overall. The quad core processor really kick's the ATV2's rear end (and it should, being 4 years newer). I didn't even know some parts of XBMC had animations. Plus the 1080p output, etc. My recommendation to anyone using an ATV2 for XBMC is to sell it as soon as possible while it's still worth ~$200, and pick up a Fire TV. Here's a wiki with everything you need to know: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV

The only thing I miss is pushing stuff from my iPhone to my TV via AirPlay, but it's something I do very rarely.

Cawd Rud fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 17, 2014

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've only ever streamed off network shares on both (wired).

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Looks like we got three new channels today. The Lifetime network, the History channel, and A&E

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Kenderama posted:

Looks like we got three new channels today. The Lifetime network, the History channel, and A&E

So, "Aliens changed my daughter", "Aliens built the pyramids", and "Aliens landed; drama ensues". At least there's a theme going.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Axiem posted:

So, "Aliens changed my daughter", "Aliens built the pyramids", and "Aliens landed; drama ensues". At least there's a theme going.

I was kinda startled by all the shows on one of the channels - they were all titled... "American <this>" and "America <that>" and "America, gently caress Yeah!" etc etc.

Wow, we're a bit aggressive. :/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kenderama posted:

Do they require signing in to your cable or such?

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

smackfu posted:

Do they require signing in to your cable or such?

Yes.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I was gonna redo my jailbreak to upgrade from 5.0.2 to whatever the latest is for HBO Go but realized it requires a cable sub. gently caress that, I'll wait for a la carte HBO to come (it won't).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

kloa posted:

I was gonna redo my jailbreak to upgrade from 5.0.2 to whatever the latest is for HBO Go but realized it requires a cable sub. gently caress that, I'll wait for a la carte HBO to come (it won't).

Which is kinda the attitude most other people have with access to these channel apps. It's great and all that they are there but needing a cable sub to watch them defeats the purpose (outside of limited uses where you've got a tv hooked up to an aTV but not a cable box).

At least Apple is well positioned to offer ala carte channel service if the cable business model blows the gently caress up (it won't).

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

kloa posted:

I'll wait for a la carte HBO to come (it won't).
It'll happen the same time they offer sporting events a la carte. (they won't)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Also, there are only 3 providers that offer access to the 3 new channels. Thanks Apple!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Also, there are only 3 providers that offer access to the 3 new channels. Thanks Apple!
How is this their fault? It's whoever they can get deals with as far as channels and cable providers go. Television rights are notoriously difficult to deal with. What is an acceptable minimum number of providers to support before they release a new channel?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How is this their fault? It's whoever they can get deals with as far as channels and cable providers go. Television rights are notoriously difficult to deal with. What is an acceptable minimum number of providers to support before they release a new channel?

It was a sarcastic "Thanks Obama!"-type thing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I encounter so much bizarre righteous indignation over Apple on the Internet that it's frequently hard to tell sarcasm from the real thing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Given that, it would be nice if Apple had a generic framework to connect your Apple TV to a cable provider, then only channels you had access to would be shown, and access to each one would be seamless.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
You can watch at least some of the A&E/Lifetime/History stuff without signing in. Full episodes even, though they did have commercials...or maybe just the same commercial over and over.

Hermi On Me
Dec 30, 2002

That's totally barbaric!

smackfu posted:

Given that, it would be nice if Apple had a generic framework to connect your Apple TV to a cable provider, then only channels you had access to would be shown, and access to each one would be seamless.

But then you wouldn't be able to complain to your cable provider that there are TV shows about Aliens you can't watch and maybe they should make a deal with Apple to let you stream them.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
This is why you ask someone with cable to activate your ATV for you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My ATV3 has a tendency to soft reboot itself at weird times, mostly when either switching from one app to another or even occasionally when I pause Netflix or something. Is this a common issue? Should I run a restore on it and see if it fixes it? It's almost two years old now, so out of warranty, and with rumors of an update coming soon (especially given Apple's comments at the earnings call yesterday), it doesn't seem worth it to buy a new one.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Well the new update fixed 5.1 on Netflix, so that's good.

I also discovered adfreetime, which costs $2/m and not only avoids blackouts for mlb.tv and similar apps, it also allows you to change your Netflix region which gives you much, much more content. You can check out https://www.moreflix.com to see what content is available for different regions.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

My ATV3 has a tendency to soft reboot itself at weird times, mostly when either switching from one app to another or even occasionally when I pause Netflix or something. Is this a common issue? Should I run a restore on it and see if it fixes it? It's almost two years old now, so out of warranty, and with rumors of an update coming soon (especially given Apple's comments at the earnings call yesterday), it doesn't seem worth it to buy a new one.

Yeah, I'd try a restore. We have 3 Apple TV3s that are all used regularly and I don't think I've ever seen one restart. Hopefully just a software glitch caused by a defective OTA upgrade.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Has anyone had the problem with the message "An error occurred while loading this content. Please try again later." popping up all the time? Doesn't matter what I'm watching, could be Netflix, could be HBOGO, could be WatchESPN. I'll get the message while in the middle of watching something. If I don't reset the ATV, I'll get the message again after a few minutes, but if I do reset, it might wait until the next day to do it. Either way, its pretty much a daily occurrence now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Are you on a wired or wireless connection? If wireless try a wired for a few days and see what happens.

You could also try resetting it back to factory and see what that does.

• Locked thread