Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I've never heard "soupbone" as a synonym for "punch." Is that courtesy of the paaay winduh?

That's how Bikertaker referred to his fists, because they're really large and dense I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cena is a good wrestler. He typically has perfectly watchable matches.

But he's never put together an in-ring year like Triple H's 2000 or Stone Cold's 2001. He's had piles of matches that should have been a lot better, given who he was working with.

He has very occasional great matches, often with someone bringing a lot of heat into the match (and/or being an elite worker). It doesn't help that he constantly laughs off his competition in promos.

Ringwork-wise he's a total crapshoot depending on who's doing the planning and who's being given control of the pacing.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

wrong thread

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Soup bone is old slang for a pitcher's pitching arm and since Undertaker throws punches....

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Since we're talking about Cena, how often do they use the clip of him stacking the Big Show and Edge up on his shoulders and giving them the FU? It was one of the most visually impressive things I've ever seen on the show.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

titties posted:

Since we're talking about Cena, how often do they use the clip of him stacking the Big Show and Edge up on his shoulders and giving them the FU? It was one of the most visually impressive things I've ever seen on the show.

Not nearly as often as they should.

Still can't believe Cena thought the finish at Survivor Series 2010 was a good idea. Who got in his ear to convince him that going from eating a DDT on the exposed concrete & the most deadly finisher in the Nexus to pinning the top worker in the group and making submit the top talker and should've-been biggest star within 3 minutes was the way to go?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

titties posted:

I think the only time I've seen WWE give it any kind of importance was on the "50 OMG Moments" media release a few years back. Aside from that, nah, can't say WWE went out of their way to call it a WrestleMania moment or anything.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think it was in that Wrestlemania Moments countdown on the network preshow they were doing?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldskool posted:

Still can't believe Cena thought the finish at Survivor Series 2010 was a good idea. Who got in his ear to convince him that going from eating a DDT on the exposed concrete & the most deadly finisher in the Nexus to pinning the top worker in the group and making submit the top talker and should've-been biggest star within 3 minutes was the way to go?

Maybe he saw that Nexus was a huge flop to that point and there was no sign of it turning around with that match. Instead of losing to a faction that had been botched with mostly terrible talent he decided he wanted to go over and protect his heat. The feud only started working when it became more Wade vs Cena and he lost that singles match anyway so it isn't like he was dedicated to burying the Nexus.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

oldskool posted:

I want to know who got in everyone's ear to make them think Cena kicked out of the 450 in that match. It really kills any credibility for complaints about that match when people make things up.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Maybe he saw that Nexus was a huge flop to that point and there was no sign of it turning around with that match. Instead of losing to a faction that had been botched with mostly terrible talent he decided he wanted to go over and protect his heat. The feud only started working when it became more Wade vs Cena and he lost that singles match anyway so it isn't like he was dedicated to burying the Nexus.

You can still win and not have an idiotic finish like that.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Cardboard Box posted:

haha, I've never noticed that before. so since he's billed at 6'4" he's probably closer to 6' then?

Most wrestlers aren't really THAT tall. Most people will say Austin is 6' tall while the rock is at most 6'1 rather than the 6'4 "wrestler" height.

I believe Angle even said that you take the wrestler's billed height then subtract 4 inches for their real height? I remember reading that in an interview and Angle is at most 5' 10.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Having seen much of the roster at a recent house show, and being 6' tall myself, I can easily believe Seamus is at least 6'1" but probably 6'2".

Jack Swagger is huge by the way.

Five Apples
Mar 11, 2008

THIS IS WHAT I AM
I ran into Tamina on Bourbon during WM week and was shocked at how short she actually is. She looks huge compared to the other women, especially AJ, but is at best 5'3.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that would make AJ like el torito's billed height

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ColeM posted:

Most wrestlers aren't really THAT tall. Most people will say Austin is 6' tall while the rock is at most 6'1 rather than the 6'4 "wrestler" height.

I believe Angle even said that you take the wrestler's billed height then subtract 4 inches for their real height? I remember reading that in an interview and Angle is at most 5' 10.

Or add two inches in Christian's case.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ColeM posted:

The Rock is much taller than 6'1. He's legit 6'3 maybe a bit bigger.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

ColeM posted:

yeah, I know, I was just taking a guess at what Sheamus' real height could be. I think someone on these boards said they saw him once in public and they were taller.

EDIT: and yeah the Rock is already tall enough that they maybe added an inch at most to his billed height

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 22, 2014

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Rock is definitely in the 6'3-6'4 range

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Big Show and Kane are the same height in the ring and they're both billed at 7'.

Sheamus wears ridiculous lifts.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Adrian Neville is another dude that for sure isn't as tall as he's billed. He isn't much taller, if taller at all, than Renee - and his Wikipedia says 5'10" (although I remember him being billed at less than that on NXT).

The add four inches rule basically strikes true unless you're really tall but not a giant, or really short and need that for your character.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's odd to me that guys in the 6'0 to 6'4 range need to be billed as taller when that's the general height range for (for example) Heisman Trophy winners and UFC heavyweight champions, but then, most of those athletes aren't shredded as hell, either.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

It's odd to me that guys in the 6'0 to 6'4 range need to be billed as taller when that's the general height range for (for example) Heisman Trophy winners and UFC heavyweight champions, but then, most of those athletes aren't shredded as hell, either.

It's wrestling, Andre despite being giant had to be billed as even bigger because 6'9-10 just wasn't big enough!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I forget if it was Eddie Guerrero or Jericho, but didn't one of those two note in a book that Rey Mysterio is like 5 feet tall on the dot or something like that?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

It's wrestling, Andre despite being giant had to be billed as even bigger because 6'9-10 just wasn't big enough!

They used to do this with Big Show and he's actually 7'!

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Jackie D posted:

They used to do this with Big Show and he's actually 7'!

Yeah, he used to be 7'4" in WCW and now he's just a measly 7'0". I blame the cigarettes.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Big Show was 7'2" when he first debuted and billed as that for at least the first few years. I like to think they shaved off the 2 inches as both a rib and a punishment because of the sheer number of times WWE had to send Big Show to developmental because he would get fat and out of shape. He seems to pace himself now and shows self-discipline but, man, there were so many times in his early WWE years where he would just let himself go.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Justin Godscock posted:

Big Show was 7'2" when he first debuted and billed as that for at least the first few years. I like to think they shaved off the 2 inches as both a rib and a punishment because of the sheer number of times WWE had to send Big Show to developmental because he would get fat and out of shape. He seems to pace himself now and shows self-discipline but, man, there were so many times in his early WWE years where he would just let himself go.

I am pretty sure Big Show was never taller than 7'0. He was shorter than Ron Reis who I think was a legit 7'0. He was pretty close to 7'0 in WCW, now I think he's closer to 6'9. He was a few inches shorter than Shaq when they were face to face.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

This all makes me think of when Seth Green fought Randy Orton and it looked like Little Mac fighting Bald Bull.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

I forget if it was Eddie Guerrero or Jericho, but didn't one of those two note in a book that Rey Mysterio is like 5 feet tall on the dot or something like that?

He probably would be around that range. On Jericho's podcast he talks about breaking in in Mexico and there being some question over whether he'd be considered a mini or working with regular-sized dudes. Konnan went to bat for him to suggest the latter.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Anecdotal, but I worked at an arena a few years back and was walking around in the basement area with all the wrestlers and the only guy who was taller than me was Gene Snitsky. Of course I didn't see Show, UT or Kane but most everyone else was MUCH shorter and I'm only 6'3.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

The Grey posted:

Did we ever find out who was behind GTV?

This was discussed a few pages back, but I thought that after Goldust left the company, they implied it was Glen Ruth (Thrasher) after he came to the ring and cued up a GTV clip showing that Chaz (Mosh)'s girlfriend was lying about him beating her.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

When did Scott Steiner go from being a dorky looking dude in wrestling gear to the insane roid-monster who wears chainmail that we know and love today, and why/how did this change happen?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dimebags Brain posted:

When did Scott Steiner go from being a dorky looking dude in wrestling gear to the insane roid-monster who wears chainmail that we know and love today, and why/how did this change happen?

He had been an insane roid monster for years but he turned on Rick at Super Brawl VIII to join the nWo. That's when he bleached his hair and slowly morphed into the Big Poppa Pump character as he got more promo time.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, if you look at him around Wrestlemania 9, he more or less looks like Big Poppa Pump with a different haircut.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What were some of the earliest notable incidents of a crowd going against planned reactions and cheering for the heel and/or booing the face?

Obviously it's commonplace now, but I know heels were generally universally loathed in old school wrestling.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Thauros posted:

What were some of the earliest notable incidents of a crowd going against planned reactions and cheering for the heel and/or booing the face?

Obviously it's commonplace now, but I know heels were generally universally loathed in old school wrestling.

Hogan in at least 1991, and 1994-1996.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
They put the brakes on a Hogan-Jake feud because people were cheering for Jake (Or, more specifically, chanting "DDT"). Jake knew that wasn't good since he was the bad guy.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Thauros posted:

Honky Tonk Man was originally supposed to be a face before fans' reaction to him caused them to turn him.

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

It wasn't a fan revolt but by 83 the fans were tiring of Backlund as champion and I remember seeing some matches where he'd get some boos.